Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you do if this was your child?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

Them poor kids were terrified, what a fu1king coward, also that pr1ck with the camera was laughing he should also get a kicking :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,066 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Wow... AH siding with the kids and going against the beat-the-crap-out-of-them-that'll-learn-'em mentality! It'll be flying pigs next.
    Some people need to grow a pair of balls. Jeez i got hit worse than that by teachers in school. It certainly put manners on you and respect for your teachers, it made you hate them alright but you damn well behaved. something kids nowadays are sorely lacking

No it didn't. I still called him all sorts of **** behind his back. I pretended to respect him and behaved ok in his presence, but I assure you, there was never any genuine respect there and the behaviour was, shall we say, a tad more inconsistent.

Anyway, the kids in the video don't seem to be misbehaving.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Maybe read the above, aren't you wound up before 9am

Nighty night California time.

Just suggesting you get off the high horse a little when criticizing people expressing the most natural of human reactions. I'd be more concerned about the sociopaths who don't feel strongly about that video.

TTYL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    I pretended to respect him and behaved ok in his presence.

so in other words, it worked

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I'd be more concerned about the sociopaths who don't feel strongly about that video.
    I don't feel strong about the video but I'm no sociopath.

Do I think it's wrong? Yes.
    Do I think he should be jailed? Of course.
    With a baitin'? If ya want.
    Has this happened in this country and were people fine with it? Yes.

Different times had different reactions to these sort of things, fortunately we're passed that in this country (for the most part anyway). What he did was disgraceful but once upon a time it was an accepted (and recommended?) form of punishment. It's not absolute that it's wrong, opinions on this subject are relative to the society.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 506 ✭✭✭common sense brigade

stunned and sickened by this. i hope thge parents hunt him down and give him the beating of his life. If anyone dared to touch my child like this, i would destroy them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Ministry of Social Solidarity

Sounds like something from 1984 novel or some backward country with a propaganda division

Or an Irish government department set up to investigate new methods of tax rape.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

I dont know if we can blame the person who filmed it yet. Was filmed by an unknown veiled woman. What if she was some woman who filmed it to expose it? After all, it got up on youtube somehow.

so in other words, it worked

Nope. I still got into more trouble when he wasn't around. It would have worked had he been omnipotent, as rule-by-fear requires, but he wasn't so it didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

respect for your teachers, it made you hate them
    Does not compute. Fear and respect are not the same thing. If everyone fears you, one day someone will kill you. If everyone respects you, they will protect you.

If a teacher is unable to discipline and control children by earning their respect, then they should go find a career that they're good at. All of the best teachers I had were the ones respected by their classes, not the ones who were feared or who had no control.

This comment from the article still has me scratching my head:
    "Beating and corporal punishment are the best means for disciplining children especially after the January 25 revolt." Am I the only one who cannot see any logic in this statement? What does a revolt have to do with disciplining children?

It's also clearly only a complete moron who uses physical punishment against someone who makes intellectual errors. "Be smarter!" *whack*.

The guy should be fired and prohibited from working with children, animals or any vulnerable people for the rest of his life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I don't understand why this teacher is doing it. If the kids aren't getting their homework right, he should be checking to see if they are all having problems with the same thing and addressing that. It doesn't make sense to me that he's pulling them around the room or smacking them with a ruler.

Oh yes, brings back horrible memories!

My youngest brother had lost his two front teeth (aged about 7) and for reading one day had to read a page titled "A hOcht a Chlog" - which he couldn't say properly. As we went to a Gaelscoil that were fanatical about pronounciations, he got a couple of belts across the head. My mother went in and calmly explained to the teacher why she shouldn't have done that - I'd have called the Gardai!

Did the teacher think that beating was going to make him learn his word?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

Honestly, this doesn't surprise me at all, and as much as people on this thread aren't going to like me saying this...that was relatively mild.

I taught in Kenya for a while and punishment much worse than this was relatively common. Teachers would beat the children with rulers and sticks, and not always just little blows like that. I remember one of the guys who was working in a school further inland to where I was reported one of the teachers beating one of the 3/4 years old in the orphanage well over 10 times with a whicker rod till the child wet himself in terror. He was shunned for his remaining time in the orphanage school for reporting the behaviour.

It's sickening. I am just so grateful that I live in a country whre this sort of behaviour is illegal and dealt with seriously. I can't even comprehend how I'd feel if this was done to my daughter.

seamus wrote: »
    This comment from the article still has me scratching my head:
    "Beating and corporal punishment are the best means for disciplining children especially after the January 25 revolt." Am I the only one who cannot see any logic in this statement? What does a revolt have to do with disciplining children?

My take on it was that if you beat the kids from an early age, they will not revolt or cause trouble when they're older. Possibly reading it wrong.

What makes me scratch my head is the idea that we don't want the kids to grow up expressing themselves and questioning authority, but we do want people to take to the streets and protest and express themselves the moment a government steps out of line.

What was that line from V for Vandetta?
    "People should not fear their government, a government should fear their people."

Getting philosophical now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

I really don't get this "sure it happened to me and I was grand" attitude. The lads I knew growing up that got corporal punishment are not right at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Ok. At first I read the thread title but didnt fancy watching the video after having put my five year old on the bus and had a few hours with my pregnant wife before heading to work.
    I scanned through the comments about walking in and beating the sheet out of the teacher and got on my rightous horse about violence solving nothing and not stooping to his level etc.....

Then i watched the video. Im still not sure if i would resort to violence as its not in me, but i would more than be happy if someone else did.
    I was expecting a token pat on the hand with the ruler but when he repeatedly hauls that terrified tiny girl in by the hair and assaults her i had to turn off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Jesus, I felt sick watching that! I'm kinda sorry I did now! That poor little girl in the pink particularly. And as for the two adults watching and laughing. B4stards! The article said it was recorded by a veiled woman, I would imagine she was trying to be a whistle blower!

If that was either of mine I don't know what I'd do, but I can guarantee Id have an alibi!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

In my mid [EMAIL="40@s"]40's[/EMAIL] now. I remember my headmaster/teacher of 7th class putting me (aged 12) in the knee area of an oldfashioned desk...resulting in me being completely hidden from the view of the class...he spent the whole day kicking me in the torso and legs, light enough contact but over time I was cramped up and sore..not marked though....it was not his first time!!!:rolleyes:

What did I do to attract this elongated (must have been 4 hours) and distressing punishment?? He came back to class after being absent for 2 hours (he had set work) and listened at the window of the class and caught me talking, I was asking for a pencil topper, we were terrified of him!!

His other trick was to pinch your nose between his first two fingers...this looks like an affectionate gesture however he squeezed your nose really hard, brought tears to the eyes! This was done openly in halls and in the yard...he did it to me regularly until one day when I had a heavy head cold.......let's say I did not hold back with the snotter :D Small victories!!

Great man though, if you mention his name in my hometown!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

People like that guy are terrifying, not just because of what he did to those poor kids, but because it's revealing of the way some people can see great distress in other people and just not give a s**t, which can lead to far worse things.
    I genuinely can't understand how someone could beat such young children as that, for such a trivial thing, see how much pain and distress it's causing them, and continue to beat them.
    It's like there's a basic human instinct that's lacking in people like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I would not condone violence but if my child suffered like those kids in the link my natural reaction would be to lash out.
    It would make me as bad as the offender but I would have to protect my kids from a bully.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Pandora2 wrote: »
    In my mid [EMAIL="40@s"]40's[/EMAIL] now. I remember my headmaster/teacher of 7th class putting me (aged 12) in the knee area of an oldfashioned desk...resulting in me being completely hidden from the view of the class...he spent the whole day kicking me in the torso and legs, light enough contact but over time I was cramped up and sore..not marked though....it was not his first time!!!:rolleyes:

What did I do to attract this elongated (must have been 4 hours) and distressing punishment?? He came back to class after being absent for 2 hours (he had set work) and listened at the window of the class and caught me talking, I was asking for a pencil topper, we were terrified of him!!

His other trick was to pinch your nose between his first two fingers...this looks like an affectionate gesture however he squeezed your nose really hard, brought tears to the eyes! This was done openly in halls and in the yard...he did it to me regularly until one day when I had a heavy head cold.......let's say I did not hold back with the snotter :D Small victories!!

Great man though, if you mention his name in my hometown!!

I had a similar experience. Went to a very very rural school in Mayo with two class rooms. Baby infants to second class in one room and third to sixth class in another. The teacher in the younger kids room was utterly psycho. She hospitalised one kid by stabbing him through the ear lobe with a fountain pen and I was concussed when she hit me with one of those old role books with a wooden cover and copper corners. The sting is that as this was 1970's ireland and her husband was a high ranking Garda she was relatively untouchable and given the same respect that priests and politicians received in those days... Ah old ireland eh?!!!!
    My English (and there fore **** stirring) Mother with the backing of the Doctor who had to treat myself and a few other kids she assaulted threatened legal action and mysteriously the teacher had to retire for medical grounds to do with her nerves or some such.

• Advertisement

If we're going to go on anecdotes, I was in school after physical punishment became a thing of the past.

However, once in fourth class, I was writing something as a punishment and made a spelling mistake. The teacher told me to go and write it out again correctly. I made the same spelling mistake and she lost it and smacked me on the hand with a pen. She didn't actually tell me the correct spelling. I actually liked that teacher, she was probably on the blob at the time or something.

But the only thing I remember is that she hit me with a pen and it hurt. I don't remember what word I had spelled incorrectly and even after she'd "hit" me, I didn't know the correct spelling. So the only thing I learned from it was that this teacher can sometimes be a complete bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭positron

I am in my 30s, and I have had to go thru a lot more than what you see on that video.

Growing up in India, school is a serious business, and teachers is bloody strict, and all classe rooms usually have a cane - not a stiff ruler like that video - but a meter long bamboo stick that's about as thick as your little finger. It's longer, more flexible and has a lot more bite to it, and f*ck, it hurts.. I can still remmeber the stinging burning pain!

It's the standard punishment for not knowing answers to the questions teacher asks based on what she taught on the previous class. She will ask you - you stand up and answer, and if you get the answer right, you can sit down, or else, you have to keep standing. When he/she has done this to all the kids in the class, there would be 5-10 left standing, and he/she will come around with his cane, will ask you to hold your hand out straight with the palm of the hand facing up. And he will hit you reasonably hard. If you pull your hand causing him miss (it's a reflex, the pain is excruciating), you will get two. Some kids who just can't hold the hand up straight, will get one or two in the bum / thigh area - even more painful! :eek::eek: If you pull your hand and din't fully clear the arc of the cane, it might get you on the tip of some of the fingers, which is even more painful!

Man, I used to hate history classes because I hated the subject and could never remember the dates.

What's even more cruel is - I was designated the 'class leader' for most the years, and some years it was my responsibility to fetch the cane from the teacher's room, or at times to find a stick good enough to be improvised as a cane so that the teacher can beat other kids and me!

In fairness, the pain goes away after an hour or so, and it's a firm reminder that going to school is serious business and there's a reaction to being lazy. I am no expert and I know how the views differ here and in India, but I don't know, I can't make up my mind about which is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Mabel

Horrible. The girls in pink and the stripy top are clearly distressed while he smiles. The goon laughing behind the camera just adds to the disgust. Finding it impossible to reconcile discipline with what's in this video tbh.

positron wrote: »
    I am no expert and I know how the views differ here and in India, but I don't know, I can't make up my mind about which is better.
    Look at it this way; in view of how many strikes you took in history class, can you remember those dates now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭positron

seamus wrote: »
    Look at it this way; in view of how many strikes you took in history class, can you remember those dates now?

You have a point - I continued to dislike that subject, however, how can I be sure that I wouldn't have been even more lazy if my history teacher (of three years, who was a lovely woman and we got on really well otherwise) hadn't done that to me? I did come out of the school system with a decent baseline that was good enough to get me into the university course that I wanted, and if I had ignored the subject because I disliked it, I probably wouldn't have got into the the university, engineering, current job / lifestyle etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

positron wrote: »
    You have a point - I continued to dislike that subject, however, how can I be sure that I wouldn't have been even more lazy if my history teacher (of three years, who was a lovely woman and we got on really well otherwise) hadn't done that to me? I did come out of the school system with a decent baseline that was good enough to get me into the university course that I wanted, and if I had ignored the subject because I disliked it, I probably wouldn't have got into the the university, engineering, current job / lifestyle etc.

It sounds like you are saying you were too lazy to even take responsibility for yourself. There are plenty of ways of motivating children who have difficulty with various subjects in a positive manner. I guarantee you these methods have a much higher success rate than pain, fear and humiliation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

While I don't condone the actions of the guy in this video I can't help but think that there are quite a few scobies in this country who probably could have done with a few slaps when they were growing up. The kind of scum that hang around in large groups intimidating/assaulting people etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 25 seoirserob

Modern reminder of what we assume is a world gone by.

These kids are so young, and so afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

How the fúck can the teacher say its "because of the revolution"? :mad:

If he wanted to beat or belt some lads, why not join in the protests and attack Mubarek's guards - at least he would be attacking adults. That lad is just a fúcking coward and probably knows that he wouldn't be able to handle himself against the big and scary guards.

Also why the hell didn't the person filming it put a stop to him??

• Advertisement

Kojak wrote: »
    Also why the hell didn't the person filming it put a stop to him??
    It was a woman. If she'd opened her mouth he probably would have beaten her black and blue.

Advertisement