Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you do if this was your child?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭The_Snapper

Kojak wrote: »
    Also why the hell didn't the person filming it put a stop to him??

She may have been gathering the footage as evidence, she may have been afraid she would receive the same or worse if she interfered?

He is nothing but a thuggish bully. I like the "ball hammer" comment.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

seamus wrote: »
    It was a woman. If she'd opened her mouth he probably would have beaten her black and blue.

Yeah, your probably right. Beat the children and then beat some women - god he's a classy individual....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Truth is.... in the Christian Brothers he would have been considered an amateur.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

loobylou wrote: »
    Truth is.... in the Christian Brothers he would have been considered an amateur.
    Sad but true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

True.
    (And I can speak from personal experience and witnessed their brutality also)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Got much worse myself from the De La Salle brothers, didn't make a difference to me in the slightest. Never even thought of mentioning it to my father. Though he got way worse again from the Christian Brothers when he was young. When I was in school a lot of people wouldn't have been shocked by this, but they clearly are now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

It is only recently that teachers were not exempt from child torture and beatings.

That video was like Disneyland compared to a lot of people's experience in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

It is only recently that teachers were not exempt from child torture and beatings.

That video was like Disneyland compared to a lot of people's experience in school.

Yeah the kids look like they were having a ball alright. Where does your analogies stop?

Ah she was only inappropriatly fondled could of been raped.....

Yes there can always be a worse situation it does not take away from how bad their current situation is, which is pretty evident from the level of terror they experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

racso1975 wrote: »
    Yeah the kids look like they were having a ball alright. Where does your analogies stop?

Ah she was only inappropriatly fondled could of been raped.....

Yes there can always be a worse situation it does not take away from how bad their current situation is, which is pretty evident from the level of terror they experience

I agree Im just saying a lot worse happenned here and not that long ago.

"Knowledge should go hand in hand with purity of heart, with moral excellence."
    Piyadassi Thera (1914 - 1998), Sri Lanka.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I'm pretty distressed after seeing that video.

He claims to be using discipline on the kids, but from what I could see, there was no bad behaviour on their parts at all.

He is clearly a sadist, who derives much enjoyment from inflicting pain on the little ones in his charge.

I noticed he seemed to take even greater pleasure in beating the little girls.

My heart goes out to those poor children....can only imagine the fear they feel going to school every day :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

That was my point, only as recently as the late 1980's, I can recall lads I was in class with being giving serious hidings in class, I can specifically recall one poor lad, (who since committed suicide), being regularly picked up off the ground by the teacher pinching the cheeks of his face and lifting him up in the air by the cheecks of his own face and him screaming in pain in front of a terrified class of primary school kids. Kneeling on pencils was another fav, and standing up the front corner of the class with your arms outstretched holding books and if you dropped your hands due to the weight of the books, you would get an absolute hiding.

I remember one lad getting battered in class one morning and I mean this guy was bleeding after the hiding he took, and the reason for the assault was because he didn't have his homework done and when the big trial was held into this in the class, it emerged that the poor kid didn't have an exercise book, and when an enquiry was held into why that was so, the lads dad was unemployed and they couldn't afford to get the kids copybooks for school...

And for that he got bet for half an hour, f*cked over desks and chairs in the class and everything.

All I'm saying is let's not be too smug here back on Craggy Island because our own parents were all aware of this up 'til as recently as the 80's and were to be often found wanting to confront it I think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Just found this on Sky News:

Very disturbing and distressing video footage, but if anyone my own age or older was edcuated in a Christian Brother's school the very same sh*t was happening here as late as the 80's, in fact I can personally recall treatment that was a lot worse...

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Video---Egypt-Teacher-Beats-Children-And-Blames-Revolution-After-Being-Arrested-By-Police/Article/201105416000577?lpos=World_News_Carousel_Region_3&lid=ARTICLE_16000577_Video_-_Egypt%3A_Teacher_Beats_Children_And_Blames_Revolution_After_Being_Arrested_By_Police

Yep. I've seen far, far far worse than that back in the day. I can't remember anyone using a ruler either. It was a cane, short leather strap (purpose made, I might add) or a punch or clatter with the hand. One fellah used use a round stick like the thick end of a drumstick and thump you with the end of it, using his fist in a hammering way, with it protruding an inch or two out beneath.

Nodin wrote: »
    Yep. I've seen far, far far worse than that back in the day. I can't remember anyone using a ruler either. It was a cane, short leather strap (purpose made, I might add) or a punch or clatter with the hand. One fellah used use a round stick like the thick end of a drumstick and thump you with the end of it, using his fist in a hammering way, with it protruding an inch or two out beneath.
    I've personally seen the Christian Brothers using metal rulers, canes, sticks, heavy books, their Doc Martin boots, their fists too many times and even furniture.

What the man did in the video is shocking and to be honest again, I could only stomach watching half of it but just going on the first half, what he did at that stage was mild to the C.Brothers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Saying it's mild compared to the Christian Brothers hardly matters though does it? We know what the CB did was shocking and it's even more shocking they were let get away with it, but what's important now is to make sure that this kind of child abuse by teachers isn't allowed to happen anymore, in Ireland or elsewhere.

I really hope that Egyptian teacher is fired from his job first of all, and hopefully prosecuted aswell. He certainly shouldn't be put in the care of children again. The kids didn't appear to even be doing anything wrong, so he was clearly just deriving some sort of sadistic enjoyment from beating them.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Saying it's mild compared to the Christian Brothers hardly matters though does it? We know what the CB did was shocking and it's even more shocking they were let get away with it, but what's important now is to make sure that this kind of child abuse by teachers isn't allowed to happen any more, in Ireland or elsewhere.

I really hope that Egyptian teacher is fired from his job first of all, and hopefully prosecuted as well. He certainly shouldn't be put in the care of children again. The kids didn't appear to even be doing anything wrong, so he was clearly just deriving some sort of sadistic enjoyment from beating them.
    No argument from me. I agree 100% and I'm guessing, so does most here.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭LisaLee

I would take my child out of the school immediately, report the teacher to the Gardaí and have to hold himself back.

Disgraceful!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Very distressing to watch.
    The poor little things are bricking it, waiting their turn.
    The only consolation is he will probably get battered in prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Some people need to grow a pair of balls. Jeez i got hit worse than that by teachers in school. It certainly put manners on you and respect for your teachers, it made you hate them alright but you damn well behaved. something kids nowadays are sorely lacking

Yes but did other adults stand around you watching and laughing at your distress? And there's a difference between a lack of manners and respect, and getting something wrong in your homework.

Not all children nowadays are rude and disrespectful. Most are perfectly behaved, despite the odd trouble-maker, and no child, at any point in time, whether now or in the past, deserves to be treated like that.

Whether you were beaten with a ruler, or a cane, or a book, or subjected to a punch in the face, the common denominator here is that it was uncalled for abuse, unnecessary pain and humiliation.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I read the thread first and then watched the video. I was expecting it to be way more brutal. Physically it isn't bad,I got an odd clip of a ruler in school.

The mental anguish and scarring is far more worrying, coupled with the fact the adults in charge have sadistic characteristics.

If one of those babies were mine, I would do everything in my power to make sure he or the adults watching could never again work in the educational system or around children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭araic88

Wow. What a horrible man.
    I'm a relatively new teacher, and an older one in the school is "known" for being really strict and if a child misbehaves he pretty much roars in their face. He even intimidates me when he's angry and I thought he was a bit of a pr*ck, but after watching this video the teacher I know seems caring and kind :rolleyes: At least he's nice to the kids unless they've done something they know is wrong - the d*ckhead in the video gives a wallop to every single child in the line :confused: I'm sure this isn't the first time he's been like this, so I doubt the kids were careless with their homework.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

The "arragh sure the odd clip round the ear never did me any harm and i deserved it" brigade here seem to be missing something glaringly obvious from the video. This is a systematic beating of every child in a production line. They have not been caught being naughty or even getting anything wrong, they are simply being beaten as a matter of course.

Whoops. Looks like I did a bit of and Enda's speech / Obamas speech on the post above!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

I feel sick. I hope he goes to prison for a very long time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I'd say my parents generation got the same if not worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

A grown man is assaulting children and should be fired imediately and duly punished for assault.

Say what you see.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

I had a nun as a teacher for 3rd and 4th class which is was 8 and 10 year old and stuff like that happened at least twice a week in the class room. From the yellow ruler on the hand, hit with the meter stick on the back of the legs, rapped on the head with her knuckles to having the large black roll book walloped across the back of your head.
    This was considered normal for primary school back in 1985.

I saw 3 girls wet themselves with fear cos they didn't know their 7 times tables, only then did the headnun pay any heed.

If that had of happened to either of mine, I would have been down to the garda to press charges, fúck the school and the board of management and the bishop, they have covered up enough far to often.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

Just found this on Sky News:

Very disturbing and distressing video footage, but if anyone my own age or older was edcuated in a Christian Brother's school the very same sh*t was happening here as late as the 80's, in fact I can personally recall treatment that was a lot worse...

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Video---Egypt-Teacher-Beats-Children-And-Blames-Revolution-After-Being-Arrested-By-Police/Article/201105416000577?lpos=World_News_Carousel_Region_3&lid=ARTICLE_16000577_Video_-_Egypt%3A_Teacher_Beats_Children_And_Blames_Revolution_After_Being_Arrested_By_Police

Excuse my language.... But the effin pr!!k. I've a lump in my throat after watching that :(:(:(. Poor kiddies don't deserve that......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I hope the authorities don't just deal with this bully but also with the other adults in the room .... he's a sickening excuse for a man. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

TheZohan wrote: »
    Would you rather the parents hug it out?!
    Yes, because it's only a case of either break his fingers one by one... or hug it out. No in between.

It's natural to want the ****er punished - and even to get a thumping. But wanting him tortured - no I can't see how that's a natural, reasonable human reaction.

No matter how horrific the case, I always feel a bit freaked when I read the sh1t people are capable of dreaming up as their preferred revenge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

After watching the video, I didn't think it was all that bad he hit them on the palm with a wooden ruler, the pulling of the girls hair was the worst.

I'm not saying agree with what he did, but I don't agree with some of the responses on here. What he did was wrong, but it wasn't nearly as bad as anything my father endured in a Christian Brothers school.

I reckon there is a need to reintroduce some sort of corporal punishment in this country if I’m being honest; we are way too soft on people. I mean there are people who are walking the streets with 60+ convictions. I'd say if they got a smack when they did something wrong in school, at a young age it would instil a sense of punishment and teach them that if you do something wrong there are consequences. But it also needs to be carried through on the criminal side, by sending people to jail for proper sentences...none of this good behaviour stuff, how about you behave well so we don't extend your sentence

/rant

Advertisement