Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Big Spiders.. Merged

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Back last september i woke up in the middle of the night to a clip clip clip sound of something walking around on the wooden floor in my room , it was so loud i thought it was a mouse or something, but there would be nowhere for a mouse to hide as i can see under all the furniture and bed easily.

I turned on the light got up and looked under the bed ....nothin , looked across over by the door and a spider started scurrying towards it , huge loud bloody thing making the clip clip noise he was so heavy, i had to lauch the shoe at him as there was no way i was goin near the thing alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Back last september i woke up in the middle of the night to a clip clip clip sound of something walking around on the wooden floor in my room , it was so loud i thought it was a mouse or something, but there would be nowhere for a mouse to hide as i can see under all the furniture and bed easily.

I turned on the light got up and looked under the bed ....nothin , looked across over by the door and a spider started scurrying towards it , huge loud bloody thing making the clip clip noise he was so heavy, i had to lauch the shoe at him as there was no way i was goin near the thing alive.

that's it - the big un - and if you look closely you can see him actually looking at you - if it takes the time to stop and challenge you :eek:
    These spiders have only been around the last few years - never saw one growing up and never saw one before 2003 or so...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

that's it - the big un - and if you look closely you can see him actually looking at you - if it takes the time to stop and challenge you :eek:
    These spiders have only been around the last few years - never saw one growing up and never saw one before 2003 or so...
    I blame imported fruit :) i would happily go without exotic fruits if i never had to see mega spiders again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

*gets sick in own mouth*

I'd have to burn the house down to make sure it was really gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭texasgal

Come visit me, my little pretties .. lol.

I'll show ya some spiders! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tishandy

texasgal wrote: »
    Come visit me, my little pretties .. lol.

I'll show ya some spiders! :D

Please do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 GreenFaery

I will admit that spiders scare the c**p out of me! But when I ask dad to get rid of one from the house I always say "don't kill the spider, put it outside". They might scare me but I couldn't squish one now even if I have in the past. I'd feel so guilty!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

A couple of years ago whilst at a mates house we were watching a movie, i noticed a big spider up on the opposite wall from me, my mate then informed me that said spider was his 'pet', he had even named it Goliath and was feeding it flies etc!!!
    A couple of years ago a fair sized spider set up shop above my kitchen window. Although spiders creep me out she didn't move from her web, so I named her Elizabeth Bathory and wouldn't let anyone touch her because she was doing a good job of keeping fly numbers down. My dad squished her when we were redecorating the kitchen :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

"shivers"

This is not a thread to read in the dark, I keep thinking I feel something at my foot or knee:rolleyes: and I'm moving them real quick, I'm getting spooked.

I'll come back in the daylight.

I'm not afraid though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

tishandy wrote: »
    :eek::eek:spideog.jpg

:eek: Ah here don't say this is in Ireland....I actually can't cope knowing there is things that size here!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

My OH found this guy in the hall tonight

EEEK!!

Ophiopogon wrote: »
    :eek: Ah here don't say this is in Ireland....I actually can't cope knowing there is things that size here!!!
    Yes , In Limerick city.
    even worse, Last week I was getting the lawnmower out of the shed and as I opened I noticed lots of wispy webs and woodlice with the blood completely drained from them (they were white husks).
    I checked the door and I swear the spider was HUGE. The abdomen was akin to a conker. I screamed for my sister and she went at it with the carving knife but kept missing . I had to hide in the kitchen . it fecked off anyway around the side of the shed and she said it was even bigger than she thought at first.
    I now cant do any gardening. I couldnt get a pic this time It was too freaky to even think about that.

Bookworm85 wrote: »

EEEK!!
    SWEET BABY JEEBUS. The legs are like brown beansprouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

There was a big fecker in the hall last night, dog came flying out the door to see what the commotion was, took a look at the spider and did a quick exit back to the kitchen behind me and peeked around my legs at it.

Bookworm85 wrote: »

EEEK!!

That's the type most of us are talking about - the one that appeared in Ireland only in the last few years. The one you can hear running across a wooden floor. (Or if you have carpets, the one you don't know is just underneath your feet ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Oh sweet jebus, this thread has frightened the crap out of me!

Spiders don't frighten me but I mean normal Irish spiders, little ones, not the big yokes in this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

He landed on my mums shoulder yeaterday at home in Leitrim. Nearly gave her a heart attack.

That's a nice one, cousin! Looks like a common house spider.

http://www.ycy63.dial.pipex.com/spiders/housespid.html

Common to you perhaps Texasgal! I don't want those common to me thanks :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭TaraR

Common to you perhaps Texasgal! I don't want those common to me thanks :eek:

Ditto :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

unfortunately we are miles to late. had tons of the flippers every year for the last few.:(:mad: not nice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I am safe - I got a spider eating Basset Hound, I knew she had to be good for something ;).

EGAR wrote: »
    I am safe - I got a spider eating Basset Hound, I knew she had to be good for something ;).

I've got spider eating chickens .. ;)

But, yes, we have lots of BIG spiders!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭TaraR

Me Too :D My Staffy And Pitty Love An Oul Spider , Daddylong Legs, & Moths :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭jim69

there not spiders,was in botswana a few years ago saw spider,its body was the size of a dinner plate,not including legs,it was black with yellow triangle type markings.saw it on wall as we passed on bus,sorry i didint get pic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

My chicken don't live in the house :D. Phoebe is deadly with spiders and other creepy crawlies. She shows no mercy, one snap and they are in spider heaven.

My chicken don't live in the house :D. Phoebe is deadly with spiders and other creepy crawlies. She shows no mercy, one snap and they are in spider heaven.

Mine doesn't either.. that's what Husband is for .. lol :pac:

He HATES spiders..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

as to my animals - joey the collie/cocker doesn't seem to give a hoot, don't think a spider has invaded her personal space so she ain't interested.
    sandie my terrier likes to play with the spider (she will play with anyone and anything and i think she genuinely thinks she is 'playing' with them) and bats them between her paws.

as to my three latest kitties (smudge, jade and sammy) i don't know how they are around spiders, they do tend to chase anything that moves so i would say that includes spiders (never seen them after one) but don't know what they do when they catch them.

i remember tommy one of my old cats was afraid of them ever since one bit him when he was a babba!

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

Wow, like the others said pretty uncommon to me too but great to have curiosity satisfied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,172 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I've got a fair few of these bad boys living in my kitchen and they're only nocturnal https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/66270/83366.JPG

Advertisement