Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Big Spiders.. Merged

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

On my window sill the last few weeks.

Anyone know what type he is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

WTF

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Free Speech

This spider is in our post box.
    Threw in a 50c coin for size reference.

We used to have various bugs getting into the postbox but not anymore so we leave spidy there.

When he is on the move and it's legs are stretched out it does seem huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

ciaran76 wrote: »
    On my window sill the last few weeks.

Anyone know what type he is?

Looks like a False Widow (Steatoda nobilis or Steatodo grossa) They can bite and are quite common in parts of Ireland now. Had one in the bathroom a few weeks ago and lots of them around the garden.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1117342/The-deadly-spider-bite-grandmother-coma.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I found this site that shows common spiders in the UK, since we have a similar climate for the most part, I would say many are in Ireland too.

Some very colourful characters shown.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭loveforcelbridg

I found some weird spiders with the normal fat garden spiders you see on a bush..
    looked a bit like this fella.
    small+spider.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

looks like Dolomendes fimbriatus to me but the photo is ****.

Looks like it's squashed to me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Flukey wrote: »
    I always have a respect for spiders. I'll try and catch any big ones and release them outside the house. When you catch them in a jar or glass or something like that, they are always worth having a closer look at before releasing.

Same here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 7n82y2

• Registered Users Posts: 26 musicmaster

I remember these - Seemed to be everywhere a few years ago and they were HUGE...heard they're starting to make a comeback lately...:( I got a pic of one of them - any idea what this one is?...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=121232&l=469acb1095&id=100000885296689

Would be around 2inches, and was mighty fast...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,753 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

This spider is in our post box.

When he is on the move and it's legs are stretched out it does seem huge.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/227262/91174.JPG

that's the very one I've been wondering about - never seen anything move so quick - and they see you - they stop and just look at you and you can hear them running across a floor :eek:

What the hell are they called? And more importantly, how come I never saw them until about 5 years ago?
    I remember these - Seemed to be everywhere a few years ago and they were HUGE...heard they're starting to make a comeback lately...:( I got a pic of one of them - any idea what this one is?...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=121232&l=469acb1095&id=100000885296689

Would be around 2inches, and was mighty fast...

yep, same as yours too. Mighty fast indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭SickBoy

My wife spotted this out the back a while ago and freaked out.
    She's convinced it's not native to this country and wanted me to kill it but I didn't(she thinks I did though). I hope she's not right :eek:
    Sorry about the quality, only had my phone to hand.. It was roughly 2.5 - 3" once it started to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Senor Willy

SickBoy wrote: »
    My wife spotted this out the back a while ago and freaked out.
    She's convinced it's not native to this country and wanted me to kill it but I didn't(she thinks I did though). I hope she's not right :eek:
    Sorry about the quality, only had my phone to hand.. It was roughly 2.5 - 3" once it started to move.

Thats a common Garden Spider dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 shigi

tck wrote: »
    Interesting fact, The venom in a common household spider is more poisonous than a Black Widow's or a Brown Recluse, but they cannot bite humans because their jaws won't open wide enough.

this would be interesting if it were a fact, but spiders like the giant house spider and the barn orb web (these are very common in your house) can inflict bites on humans some of them will not use their venom but when they do it is not as potent as the recluse although in some cases (very few) it can cause necrosis or lesions at the bite area but it is definitely not as potent as the venom of the western black widow or any other widow and they wont bite unless provoked.
    The good thing is though they keep out the other more aggressive spiders that live outside so be great-full they are there

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭you*ess*bee

Found 3 of these HUGE buggers in my house during the past week. Im terrified of spiders, and trying to google image what it is nearly gave me a heart attack.

Anyone know what it is, and why they have just started coming inside?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭TaraR

I have been having a bit of a spider problem in my house the past few months. And I Am So Scared Of Them. They Are The Normal House Spiders Not Thick Black Ones. I Dont Mind Once They Dont Come Into My Bedroom Or Near Me!
    The Spiders I Have Seen On This Thread Are Just Unreal! If I Ever See A Spider Like That In My House I Will Move Straight Out. If There Is One Then Theres More...:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 slippy1979

I seen one of these monsters dashing across my kitchen floor an to be honest at first I nearly **** a kitten. I managed to catch it under a bowl as a pint glass just didn't cover the span of his legs :eek: I did think about killing him but he was just to big to kill at least before I had a chance to show him off lol. He lived in the bowl for a couple of days and then I upgraded his living quarters to a plastic fish tank with a log in it :D and boy did he love it lol He filled the entire tank with like a honeycomb of webs it looked amazing and he would eat anything, other spiders, flies, even beetles, but my favorite was wasps lol the battles I seen where unreal :D. He used to see me coming and he'd know it was feeding time, you could even throw 6 or 7 other critters in at once and within seconds he'd have them all dead and then sit spinning them in little cocoons one of the coolest pets I ever had :) I had he for about 4 months and then moved house and he or rather she as I found out laid about 4 huge egg sacks up the side of the tank and hung all the dead insects around the sacks, talk about excited I was gonna be a daddy :D then I got up one morning and she dead I was raging after having her for so long and what about the kids? I had a couple of people round for a few drinks the night before I found her dead and I'm convinced one of them had a hand in her death the fcuking scumbags :mad:

I used to hate spiders but not anymore they are serious cool :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

Yeh its mating season apparently around august/september so you'll see alot of spiders wandering around looking for a mate.

I had a giant house spider get acquainted with my phone book last night and another with a flushing toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I got an electronic spider repellent thing a year or so ago and put it in the bedroom. Either it works perfectly or we have been very lucky not to notice any spiders since we put it in.

Now it only works for the bedroom, the en-suite is still fair game and that is where spiders often "attack" my wife. I even got her one of those spider catcher things for grabbing hold of them and she can put them out the window but she is too afraid to use that on them too.

There is nothing worse than snoozing in the bed while she has a shower only to be interrupted by a scream as if she is being killed because she sees a spider, or sometimes thinks she does but nothing is there....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 AngelaGuerin

We've been seeing these ones a lot lately too.. my boyfriend just spotted one the other night that was 2 inches from crawling onto my hair!!!!! They are horrible! Only started seeing them the last 2 years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

OMG their minging...

Jes I would be out buying as many pest - x plugins as i could. I have been hearing tales of these giant spiders. My manfriends unlce was saying they have huge ones in the outside shed, that he got bitten once of twice by nothing nasty just a chomp but still...Thank god we have fostered a kitten so if any of these beasts enters i will be protected...

There is a great book called the Collins Dictionary to Irish Wildlfe out has lots of information on all bugs, spiders animals in Ireland. I have identified a few common but freaky looking household spiders from it and bugs quite interesting tis in most book stores or online on CD Wow..

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Richie.

Found this cutie Galloping across the bed just before turning off the lights! He has a new home now beside the oil tank in someone elses garden!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Aruba08

absolutely making my life a misery at the moment!! They are vile:(

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

What kind of spider is that - just found one here pretty much exact match

Picture of him sitting in the bath attached - nich eh ! :-(
    Richie. wrote: »
    Found this cutie Galloping across the bed just before turning off the lights! He has a new home now beside the oil tank in someone elses garden!

It's a giant house spider.

That's actually the name

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Aruba08

oh my godsmiley-sick007.gif

smiley-scared007.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

My nerves are shot >_< Im just into my 2nd year in my current apartment, never had any real issue with spiders coming in, place has been very good - id say no more than 3 medium sized ones in these last 14 months... and I **** you not, in the last 10 days Ive had 5 BIG DIRTY spiders and Im jumping at shadows atm. The first one was hands down the biggest Ive ever seen (Ive smallish hands, but id think his leg span may have been a near match for my palm >_< Thats ****ing big). I really want this to be over, cant go 2 days without seeing one :eek:

Hand held hoover ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

After putting out two of those big brown feckers this week. One of them was at least 3 inches. Wouldn't usually be afraid of spiders but these are so big and so fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Kiya

my dog is the official spider killer but even these huge "house spiders" are starting to freak her out.
    Shes started a nightly spider patrol, checks her bed, under the couch etc just in case they're lurking.

whats worse is the noise they're making, especially on wooden floors!
    I originally thought there was a mouse beside my bed, but nope, it was one of these guys scurrying around.

a few people in this thread said that if you throw them outside they'll just find their way back in, like freaky 8 legged scary homing pigeons :eek::(
    so I started hoovering them up when i saw them.
    But hoovered 2 of the big buggers this morning, then spotted one of them coming back out of the hoover... freaked the heck out of me!
    why wont they DIE!?!

• Advertisement

Kiya wrote: »
    my dog is the official spider killer but even these huge "house spiders" are starting to freak her out.
    Shes started a nightly spider patrol, checks her bed, under the couch etc just in case they're lurking.

whats worse is the noise they're making, especially on wooden floors!
    I originally thought there was a mouse beside my bed, but nope, it was one of these guys scurrying around.

a few people in this thread said that if you throw them outside they'll just find their way back in, like freaky 8 legged scary homing pigeons :eek::(
    so I started hoovering them up when i saw them.
    But hoovered 2 of the big buggers this morning, then spotted one of them coming back out of the hoover... freaked the heck out of me!
    why wont they DIE!?!

Only one way to kill a spider

Advertisement