Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Big Spiders.. Merged

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

I'm getting a bit suspicious as I've not seen any big spiders lately at all. And I've been doing a lot of work in the garden that I was convinced would uproot them into the house.

I know they have to be there so its freaking me out that I haven't seen them...feel like they are waiting for something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Ophiopogon wrote: »
    I know they have to be there so its freaking me out that I haven't seen them...feel like they are waiting for something.

No need to be suspicious. You are correct. The giant house spider is generally only seen regularly once the house owner has spotted them - they then know the game is up and don't bother hiding.

However, before you have spotted them, they are aware that they should hide. Generally you won't realise it but they are probably laying eggs in your hair while you sleep at night.

Hope this helps!

No need to be suspicious. You are correct. The giant house spider is generally only seen regularly once the house owner has spotted them - they then know the game is up and don't bother hiding.

However, before you have spotted them, they are aware that they should hide. Generally you won't realise it but they are probably laying eggs in your hair while you sleep at night.

Hope this helps!

I know your making a joke but I actually can't sleep if my ears aren't covered as I know two people who had spiders crawl into their ears. They described how they could feel them moving around...

ba$tard ninja spiders

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭VenusPlays

I dont know why I started reading this thread because I'm really petrified of spiders. But between the photos and descriptions I feel like I'm either going to throw up or pass out.

Is there anything you can use to stop spiders coming into the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

There was a massive massive spider on the outside wall of my house last week. Heading towards the back door. My Dad brought it out to the field hopefully it stayed there. Ugh when I went to bed I keep thinking I could feel crawling all over me :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Do spiders have nests?
    And if so do they look like creamy cotton wool?
    There's been some tufts of cotton wool like stuff ony high wall and today one of them has a spiders web coming out of it and two small spiders in it. I looked ( sort of ) closely at a third and I'd swear I could see brown and legs in it...
    Feelin kinda sick; there are quite a few of them on the dealing and they are kinda sticky and hard to get off ....

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

Here's the one that was outside my house
    092911011255.jpg

it's massive gave me such a fright when I seen it! it's weird I never remember seeing spiders that big when I was younger

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭senan s

Are you serious? Or is that a google images copy / paste???

Holy shiznit that's nasty. You sure it wasn't a tiger or something that got hold of his hand?

yeah deffo serious, no reason to lie, got it off his facebook page, was at a party with him on the weekend, he was telling me all about it

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭senan s

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    What kind of spider bit him and what country was he in? Please don't tell me a spider in Ireland did that kind of damage?

think he was down at Oxegen, when he was bitten, will ask him more details

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

I still dislike spiders same as I once posted in this thread years ago, but sometimes still drawn to read other people's experiences.
    I return to it today because I found this fecker in my sink this morning - after my silent scream and shiver, I had to tackle it as 1) on my own and 2) needed to use the sink.
    Anyhow I managed to get him onto the mat outside the back door using a large glass and envelope over the top where he fell out and landed a bit too close to the door and me on the outside.... dilemma!
    So I picked up the mat and flung it away from the door, where upon unfortunately it crushed the spider and as much as I dislike them I never want to kill them - (catch and release - well someone else will).

HOWEVER, about half an hour later, I happen to be outside and there he was stretching his legs....??? I poked him, bravely, and yup, off he scuttled.
    He was playing DEAD....
    there's an hidden agenda with them alright. Off to have a shower now, my skin is crawling.

IMG_0048.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭dubguy45

Saw this one in London. It was big.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭V Eight

tck wrote: »
    Interesting fact, The venom in a common household spider is more poisonous than a Black Widow's or a Brown Recluse, but they cannot bite humans because their jaws won't open wide enough.

THAT'S not interesting that's fu**i*g scary!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

The first picture is of Arthur (or maybe it could be Martha, he/she may have laid eggs), the second is of his/her little brother Guinness and the third is of their uncaught and unnamed sibling who stills evades us despite regular sightings! Bonus points for guessing what day Arthur/Martha & Guinness were caught on! :D

How long do spiders live for? We have a spider that has made a web between our house and the neighbors wall. Don't really want to move it as in fairness it is a pretty impressive web but it means we have to duck going down the side of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭airmax87

The big house spiders can live upto a year or two without food , I've heard, yours might be an orb weaver and I'm not so sure about them.

Yes I looked up the Orb Weaver and it is what our little friend appears to be. Its a female and apparently they die off after the first frost...not before a bit of egg laying though!! They are not to bad really but I wouldn't want to walk through its web all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Yes I looked up the Orb Weaver and it is what our little friend appears to be. Its a female and apparently they die off after the first frost...not before a bit of egg laying though!! They are not to bad really but I wouldn't want to walk through its web all the same.
    PIC?

PIC?

I would but I don't know how to without having a flicker(or other) account :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

I would but I don't know how to without having a flicker(or other) account :o
    If it's on your Computer then once you hit "Post Reply", click the little Icon that looks like a paperclip and you can add it as an attachment.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Crazy Aido

V Eight wrote: »
    THAT'S not interesting that's fu**i*g scary!

I'm just going nail this little ditty on the head. The daddy long legs or cellar spider most certainly DOES NOT have venom lethal to humans. Neither does the house spider. They can break skin with thier fangs, but their venom has no effect aside from mild irritation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

I had one on the floor of my bedroom, it was massive bugger!!
    I could actually HEAR him skittering across the floor... Slept on the sofa.. And my boyfriend wouldn't come visit for a week!

"The spiders are on the tiling again" yet another euphamism for the female menstrual cycle...

False widow1.JPG
    False widow2.JPG

I know these picture are a bit crap but is this a false widow??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

False widow1.JPG
    False widow2.JPG

I know these picture are a bit crap but is this a false widow??

I'm no spider expert, but that certainly looks like one alright.

Did you take those pics at home?

Yeah it was in my compost bin, I left the lid off (in the panic to get the hell away from it :o) and now it's gone.

The neighbors cat got in the bin just after so I dunno if I should go and tell them to check for a bite?

The banding on the legs though...

How big? Honestly the shape of the Opisthosema makes it seem more like a relative of the garden spider. Also, is that an orb web it's in?

Crazy Aido wrote: »
    The banding on the legs though...

How big? Honestly the shape of the Opisthosema makes it seem more like a relative of the garden spider. Also, is that an orb web it's in?

Don't know a lot about spiders so not sure what banding or opisthoesma are?

It's maybe an inch and a bit, shiny pure black.

That's it's web anyway?

It's still there anyway as not sure what to do with it. Thing I did notice is it seems to let out a clear liquid when I open the lid and make a bit of noise. Not sure if it's just peeing or something but I've never seen a spider do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,070 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Found 2 of these, one big (head and body about 7mm), one small, on bedsheets in spare room

048EFD09AA414EF3B80D6E6D83A25578-0000324846-0002833433-00640L-3452679AFD5A4E608674BCFDFA88F6F2.jpg

B680C85C1DBB4760AAD72B923D7026B8-0000324846-0002833434-00640L-E7CCCD1ED8034789991958DB72CC83E4.jpg

92F00AD9660C4907AF961A02C2241AAB-0000324846-0002833435-00640L-95F2783A7A154D41AED8EACE20CF7F97.jpg

43F485177E7A45EBBA7C874C9013FD94-0000324846-0002833436-00640L-CF1D7F92095A4D4ABC5868076C06350A.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭airmax87

Look like a false widow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

:eek: Ah here don't say this is in Ireland....I actually can't cope knowing there is things that size here!!!

Ive found a guy a little thicker than this but almost the same, in my shed, with a nest (those bundles of webs) and dont know WTF to do?!

Advertisement