Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardaí struggling to pay bills - AGSI

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

k_mac wrote: »
    Dole money is not a salary because you get it for doing nothing. It is ridiculous to compare it to the salary of anyone who actually works for their pay.

How many grad engineers are on WPP getting dole money? Grad engineers are lucky to get work these days and most end up working for their dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Offy wrote: »
    How many grad engineers are on WPP getting dole money? Grad engineers are lucky to get work these days and most end up working for their dole.

How does one "work for their dole"? :confused::confused:

angelfire9 wrote: »
    This is not about people who have lost jobs though

I am responding to this comment:

I lost my own job so I am well aware that people who are now unemployed have sustained massive paycuts from over 40k to next to nothing

But I am trying to point out that people some who are criticising Garda payscales are grossly understating their own income in order to make the Garda salary seem overly generous

Absolute nonsense, my last job as an engineer paid less than I currently get as a student in college.

How does one "work for their dole"? :confused::confused:

WPP means Work Placement Program - you dont get paid of the company you work for, you get your DOLE money of SW. Where have you been living? Under a rock???

Absolute nonsense, my last job as an engineer paid less than I currently get as a student in college.

I have shown the 2011 pay scales for engineers from recruitireland.com
    http://www.recruitireland.com/careercentre/engineeringsurvey/
    They show a massive disparity from the lowest paid (26k) to the highest paid (108k) if we take the average of all the salaries shown then the average engineer earns €53k per annum which is far in excess of the average Garda salary of €40k being bandied about

Is that €53k salary a fair reflection on what all engineers earn? Nope not at all it doesn't have to be because its an AVERAGE :rolleyes:
    Get my point??

• Advertisement

WPP means Work Placement Program - you dont get paid of the company you work for, you get your DOLE money of SW. Where have you been living? Under a rock???

Your not working for your dole though Dole = Job seekers benefit or Job seekers allowance
    If you are on a Work Placement Scheme then you get an amount equivalent to JSB or JSA but it is not paid through the "dole" it is paid via the scheme

Thanks though for the sarcasm :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭g_moriarty

Your not working for your dole though Dole = Job seekers benefit or Job seekers allowance
    If you are on a Work Placement Scheme then you get an amount equivalent to JSB or JSA but it is not paid through the "dole" it is paid via the scheme

Thanks though for the sarcasm :)

You are completely wrong - It actually is paid through the "dole", you retain your jobseekers allowance/benefit from the department of social protection.
    Do I get Paid?

No. the placement is unpaid and voluntary. However, if you are already in receipt of certain social welfare payments, you may be allowed to retain your payment while on a placement. See FAQs for more information.

http://www.fas.ie/en/WPP/Participants.htm

I have shown the 2011 pay scales for engineers from recruitireland.com
    http://www.recruitireland.com/careercentre/engineeringsurvey/
    They show a massive disparity from the lowest paid (26k) to the highest paid (108k) if we take the average of all the salaries shown then the average engineer earns €53k per annum which is far in excess of the average Garda salary of €40k being bandied about

Is that €53k salary a fair reflection on what all engineers earn? Nope not at all it doesn't have to be because its an AVERAGE :rolleyes:
    Get my point??

Your point is an epic fail. As I keep saying you are trying to mislead people with misinformation. Look at the job sites and see how many advertisements you can find for engineers with those payscales.
    On a different point, we have to study for a min of four years to become an engineer, how many years study is the min requirement for coppers? 6 months in Templemore, we put in a minimum of eight time more training and thats for the lower grade of engineer. A chartered engineer can expect about 8 years of study on a students income. We generate money for the country, coppers dont. We generate jobs, coppers dont. An engineer is worth more to any society than a copper, fact! So why shouldnt we get paid more? And one more thing, how many bend engineers do you hear about? We dont abuse our authority like so many copper do. €40k is to much for them. Period.

g_moriarty wrote: »
    You are completely wrong - It actually is paid through the "dole", you retain your jobseekers allowance/benefit from the department of social protection.

http://www.fas.ie/en/WPP/Participants.htm

+1 do some research anglefire9

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

Engineers were and probally still are grossly overpaid especially during the Celtic tiger, our friend in the revenue commissioners who is very selective and probally on way more money than most might cast an eye on the cash payments to all involved in the construction industry including engineers. I know plenty Engineers who became landlords and a few in revenue as well!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Your point is an epic fail. As I keep saying you are trying to mislead people with misinformation. Look at the job sites and see how many advertisements you can find for engineers with those payscales.
    On a different point, we have to study for a min of four years to become an engineer, how many years study is the min requirement for coppers? 6 months in Templemore, we put in a minimum of eight time more training and thats for the lower grade of engineer. A chartered engineer can expect about 8 years of study on a students income. We generate money for the country, coppers dont. We generate jobs, coppers dont. An engineer is worth more to any society than a copper, fact! So why shouldnt we get paid more? And one more thing, how many bend engineers do you hear about? We dont abuse our authority like so many copper do. €40k is to much for them. Period.

18 months plus a minimum two years training/probation. It's a degree level course. Many of us also go in with pre-existing degrees or trades. Plus the training never ends. To go up the promotion ladder you need to do further diplomas and certificates, also HETAC acredited.

+1 do some research anglefire9

Would have thought an engineer would know the difference between an angel and an angle :D:D:D

As for the WPP I take your point if you say it is paid under the dole then fine but comparing someone on a WPP scheme to a fully employed Garda over 11 years on the job is a moot point anyway!

As I keep saying you are trying to mislead people with misinformation. Look at the job sites and see how many advertisements you can find for engineers with those payscales.
    No I'm not
    Unlike alot of people here I am at least attempting to compare like with like I am talking about salaries for engineers that have 11+ years experience in the same job, where they have gotten pay rises annually and are now on average earning €60k+ per annum
    Those jobs aren't advertised cos the people in them are not quitting they are staying put in their positions
    Besides as was already pointed out with the downturn in the economy few companies are actually recruiting engineers and therefore those that are recruiting are paying peanuts because there are qualified unemployed people who will take the crap salary to get back to work
    That does NOT mean that there are not people in employment in the engineering sector who are not earning massive salaries of course there are and you are kidding yourself if you think there aren't any!

We generate money for the country, coppers dont. We generate jobs, coppers dont. An engineer is worth more to any society than a copper, fact! So why shouldnt we get paid more? .

No, Gardai do not per se generate income for the economy, neither do doctors and nurses, retained fire fighters, teachers or civil servants
    That is not the purpose of their employment
    The purpose of their employment is to keep the streets safe (Gardai), to help you get better if you're sick (doctors & nurses), to rescue you from burning buildings or crashed cars (fire fighters), to teach your children if you have any (teachers) etc etc etc
    You are saying you should be paid more because you have a degree?
    Therefore should Gardai who are qualified solicitors get paid more than say those who have degrees in Agri Science for example?

Having a degree does not automatically entitle you to demand a ludicrous salary
    I have a degree (4 years) and professional qualification (3.5 years) in accountancy but right now I would work for far less than a qualfied CA in order to get back to work
    An engineer is worth more to any society than a copper, fact!

I don't agree
    If your house gets burgled an engineer is feck all use to you
    If you get assaulted an engineer is feck all use to you
    If a family member gets murdered or killed in a road traffic accident it won't be an engineer calling to your door to do the notification
    There are very few professions wherein any single individual can have a dramatic impact on anything on a relatively frequent basis. While police officers are not immediately recognized for their importance to society, one needs only to imagine even our supposedly enlightened society without police officers. Think about this…without the social order ensured by police officers, no one, in any profession, could accomplish anything.
    Source:http://www.careerpoliceofficer.com/

And one more thing, how many bend engineers do you hear about? We dont abuse our authority like so many copper do. €40k is to much for them. Period.
    Well the engineer who signed off on the electricity in our housing estate was a muppet cos my house went on fire due to bad wiring
    The front row of houses in our estate are subsiding badly which is again the fault of poor engineering
    The sewage system in the estate is banjaxed and has to be manually drained monthly by the council again bad engineering

Locally the Ennis water system was useless for 4 years because the engineers involved in designing the plant underestimated the annual rainfall!

Point is: You don't have to abuse power to be bad at your job

To give a more national example look at the number of ghost estates we have in the country, bad planning by ENGINEERS

Lastly,
    Your typos are driving me insane
    And one more thing, how many bend engineers do you hear about? We dont abuse our authority like so many copper do. €40k is to much for them. Period.
    The word is "bent" not bend, apostrophe's between n and t in "don't"; an s to indicate plural in "like so many coppers do"and we don't live in america so we don't use the word "period" at the end of a sentence unless we are discussing female hormonal issues :D

No Garda comes out with 40k after deductions unless they work insane amounts of overtime. The highest salary a Garda can get is 45792 + allowances and overtime. Even if he works 80 hours overtime his net will only be 35k, which is a good way off 40k.

Would have thought an engineer would know the difference between an angel and an angle :D:D:D
    Like I care what your name is, moving on.
    As for the WPP I take your point if you say it is paid under the dole then fine but comparing someone on a WPP scheme to a fully employed Garda over 11 years on the job is a moot point anyway!
    Agreeded

No I'm not
    Unlike alot of people here I am at least attempting to compare like with like I am talking about salaries for engineers that have 11+ years experience in the same job, where they have gotten pay rises annually and are now on average earning €60k+ per annum
    Those jobs aren't advertised cos the people in them are not quitting they are staying put in their positions
    Besides as was already pointed out with the downturn in the economy few companies are actually recruiting engineers and therefore those that are recruiting are paying peanuts because there are qualified unemployed people who will take the crap salary to get back to work
    That does NOT mean that there are not people in employment in the engineering sector who are not earning massive salaries of course there are and you are kidding yourself if you think there aren't any!
    I know there are, I never said there were not. Read what I said.

No, Gardai do not per se generate income for the economy, neither do doctors and nurses, retained fire fighters, teachers or civil servants
    That is not the purpose of their employment
    The purpose of their employment is to keep the streets safe (Gardai), to help you get better if you're sick (doctors & nurses), to rescue you from burning buildings or crashed cars (fire fighters), to teach your children if you have any (teachers) etc etc etc
    You are saying you should be paid more because you have a degree?
    Therefore should Gardai who are qualified solicitors get paid more than say those who have degrees in Agri Science for example?
    Yes they should, any degree in law is relevent to their job so I take my hat of to any member of AGS that put in the time and effort to get a degree in law. Argi Science is all well and good for farmers but for coppers? I dont think it would be very useful in their every day duties, do you?
    Having a degree does not automatically entitle you to demand a ludicrous salary
    I have a degree (4 years) and professional qualification (3.5 years) in accountancy but right now I would work for far less than a qualfied CA in order to get back to work
    Thats up to you.

I don't agree
    If your house gets burgled an engineer is feck all use to you
    If you get assaulted an engineer is feck all use to you
    If a family member gets murdered or killed in a road traffic accident it won't be an engineer calling to your door to do the notification
    When my house was burgled I called the cops, they told me that they know who was robbing houses in the area but there was little point in doing anything as they would have to catch him the the property he robbed and even if they did he would be out in a matter of days. In other works the cops are of no use if your house is robbed UNLESS you are a relative of a cop. Thats just one incident where they told me to f off in the nicest possible terms.

Well the engineer who signed off on the electricity in our housing estate was a muppet cos my house went on fire due to bad wiring
    The front row of houses in our estate are subsiding badly which is again the fault of poor engineering
    The sewage system in the estate is banjaxed and has to be manually drained monthly by the council again bad engineering
    Electricians wire houses not engineers. The groundworkers lay foundations, not engineers and its the groundworkers that lay sewage systems not engineers. We just design them.
    Locally the Ennis water system was useless for 4 years because the engineers involved in designing the plant underestimated the annual rainfall!

Point is: You don't have to abuse power to be bad at your job

To give a more national example look at the number of ghost estates we have in the country, bad planning by ENGINEERS
    The weather man predicts rainfall, not engineers. Again property developers plan estates, engineers design them, when they fall down then you can blame us, until them your points are nonsense.
    Lastly,
    I dont care.
    The word is "bent" not bend, apostrophe's between n and t in "don't"; an s to indicate plural in "like so many coppers do"and we don't live in america so we don't use the word "period" at the end of a sentence unless we are discussing female hormonal issues :D
    Again I dont care.

Have a look at this, its real no matter what you think or say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

No Garda comes out with 40k after deductions unless they work insane amounts of overtime. The highest salary a Garda can get is 45792 + allowances and overtime. Even if he works 80 hours overtime his net will only be 35k, which is a good way off 40k.

35K net a year is around 673 Euro a week in take home pay. To be taking home that AFTER DEDUCTIONS, is an excellent situation to be in at the moment and anyone who says otherwise should be put up against a wall and f*cking shot.

Seriously, how many people do you know have 673 Euro a week to play with into their hands?!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Schnooks

You're wasting your time arguing with her Offy - don't forget what she is, the daughter AND wife of guards. To expect her to have any enlightened opinions is really too much.:rolleyes:

And what an ignorant cheeky cow to start correcting your spelling. That is really low.:mad:

I stand by everything I said - FROM MY EXPERIENCE that is what I've seen. And the thick eejit (k mac or Bosco, can't remember, they all sound the same) who said I must be a minor criminal, is just typical of the llow-IQ ignoramuses that populate their ranks - complete imbeciles.

If they took the time to read my first post, I clearly stated that I have never been in trouble with the guards. I've met plenty over the years though, and I think it says isomething that me, all my family and 95% of my friends do not have a single guard we would call a friend.

mod: poster banned.

Schnooks wrote: »
    You're wasting your time arguing with her Offy - don't forget what she is, the daughter AND wife of guards. To expect her to have any enlightened opinions is really too much.:rolleyes:

And what an ignorant cheeky cow to start correcting your spelling. That is really low.:mad:

I stand by everything I said - FROM MY EXPERIENCE that is what I've seen. And the thick eejit (k mac or Bosco, can't remember, they all sound the same) who said I must be a minor criminal, is just typical of the llow-IQ ignoramuses that populate their ranks - complete imbeciles.

If they took the time to read my first post, I clearly stated that I have never been in trouble with the guards. I've met plenty over the years though, and I think it says isomething that me, all my family and 95% of my friends do not have a single guard we would call a friend.

Yes it does say a lot about you, as does this whole post.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Lastly,

Mod: You can go ahead and keep the grammar correction to yourself from here on out please.

35K net a year is around 673 Euro a week in take home pay. To be taking home that AFTER DEDUCTIONS, is an excellent situation to be in at the moment and anyone who says otherwise should be put up against a wall and f*cking shot.

Seriously, how many people do you know have 673 Euro a week to play with into their hands?!?!?

That is for the most senior Gardaí and includes 80 hours annual overtime. the average garda would be on 32k a year. And by deductions I mean mandatory deductions only. I've never said Gardaí were underpaid. I don't think they are overpaid either. I don't think 32k net is excessive for someone with between 7 and 10 years experience and a degree qualification who works mostly unsociable hours, including Sundays, bank holidays, Christmas and Easter. Find another job with similar hours for less money and I might change my mind though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I would know a good few people in both sectors who earn that, it is a good wage, but it is far off an excellent wage. By that I mean I know people who are earning much more than that.

I don't want to get caught up in this thread, but 600+ a week is ok it is far from the life of a millionaire. Plus remember in order to earn that a significant amount of over-time is involved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

That is for the most senior Gardaí and includes 80 hours annual overtime. the average garda would be on 32k a year. And by deductions I mean mandatory deductions only. I've never said Gardaí were underpaid. I don't think they are overpaid either. I don't think 32k net is excessive for someone with between 7 and 10 years experience and a degree qualification who works mostly unsociable hours, including Sundays, bank holidays, Christmas and Easter. Find another job with similar hours for less money and I might change my mind though.

80 hours overtime, I put those hours in EVERY MONTH at the moment and I don't get a cent for them. The more I read on this thead, the more I think you guys need a serious reality check.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

Schnooks wrote: »

mod: poster banned.

95% of 0 = 0

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

40K or 35K is a very good wage, if you can't manage on that then you would want to sit yourself down and ask yourself why.

hellboy99 wrote: »
    40K or 35K is a very good wage, if you can't manage on that then you would want to sit yourself down and ask yourself why.

Nett or gross?
    Nett yep I agree
    But the lads in AGS on €43857 gross are coming out with €29k nett which is a different kettle of fish

Mod: You can go ahead and keep the grammar correction to yourself from here on out please.

Sorry.... I think i turned into the grammar police there for a while :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

what is the pension of garda, i see in one of the papers where a retired garda who has lived in a local station while working and retired some years ago, he is still living in the station, even though he has a house of his own, is he renting the house and staying in barracks free of charge, and should he still be residing in the barracks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

What about all the allowances they get on top of their wage ? Do they still get the untaxed rent allowance payment of €4,162 per year, even if they are living in their own house ?

When my house was burgled I called the cops, they told me that they know who was robbing houses in the area but there was little point in doing anything as they would have to catch him the the property he robbed and even if they did he would be out in a matter of days. In other works the cops are of no use if your house is robbed UNLESS you are a relative of a cop. Thats just one incident where they told me to f off in the nicest possible terms.
    No, in other words they have no EVIDENCE to arrest him at the moment and even if they did arrest him he would get bail and be out within 48 hours of arrest pending a decision from the DPP as regards prosecution and if he gets to court he will be remanded on continuing bail pending a judgement
    That is the legal system and is not the fault of the Gardai!
    Electricians wire houses not engineers.
    Yep, then an ELECTRICAL ENGINEER signed off on the wiring the electrician made a mess of his job but so did the engineer!
    The groundworkers lay foundations, not engineers and its the groundworkers that lay sewage systems not engineers. We just design them.
    Yeah engineers DESIGNED a system that failed with regard to the subsidence and the sewage!
    Great bloody engineers they were! :(
    The weather man predicts rainfall, not engineers.
    Seriously? An engineer designs a water treatment plant and takes NO notice of the average rainfall that will need to be dealt with by said plant??
    Great feat of engineering that is!
    Again property developers plan estates, engineers design them, when they fall down then you can blame us, until them your points are nonsense.
    One of my neighbours lives in a house that subsides by over 2 foot in four years, in an estate with no working sewage system, and faulty wiring, in a town which for 2 years had no safe water system can blame EVERYONE including met eireann for the faults in the failed systems DESIGNED by engineers?
    Give me a break

The engineers messed up BIG TIME
    Its kinda obvious really
    But god forbid an engineer would admit that engineers can & do make mistakes :rolleyes:

goat2 wrote: »
    what is the pension of garda, i see in one of the papers where a retired garda who has lived in a local station while working and retired some years ago, he is still living in the station, even though he has a house of his own, is he renting the house and staying in barracks free of charge, and should he still be residing in the barracks

No he shouldn't
    A Garda residence is sometimes given to a Garda or sergeant in rural areas it comes with the post and when you retire you give up the house as well (Same if you are promoted and transferred or transferred without promotion as can happen as well)
    Growing up I lived in lots of Garda houses and some of them were kips that you wouldn't expect a dog to live in!:(

I read the story you are referring to and there is obviously something going on that we are not being told
    On the face of it he shouldn't be in the house after retirement

• Advertisement

hellboy99 wrote: »
    What about all the allowances they get on top of their wage ? Do they still get the untaxed rent allowance payment of €4,162 per year, even if they are living in their own house ?

It is taxed
    And the reason for it is that Gardai can be transferred anywhere in the country without any say in the matter
    If you are stationed in Clare (my area) you can be sent anywhere from Cork to Donegal or Dublin and the fact that you may have a wife, kids & a mortgage in Clare makes no difference
    On promotion a Garda will nearly always be transferred out of his division and a Garda is not supposed to be stationed within 30 miles of his/her home town

the rent allowance was brought in to compensate Gardai for this situation

I cannot think of any comparable private sector job where you can be shuffled around to anywhere in the country with only a few weeks notice and no choice in the matter simply because management say you have to

Advertisement