Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai searching all houses for the queen

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

discus wrote: »
    I'd like to thank you publicly for wasting my tax money, by insisting on gardai having to waste extra hours on getting a warrant for a search that you have no problem with, once there is a warrant. That's a few hours that that local Garda could be answering calls and dealing with the public.

I raise my glass to you stimpson.

Is it a waste of taxpayers money to insist that the police cannot enter and search ones home because someone might be driving past? They do not have reasonable cause to conduct a carte blanc search of hundreds of homes - where is their evidence a crime is about to be committed?

It is an infringement of our civil liberties - haven't we been shat on enough by the powers that be already without them demanding the right to enter and search our home just 'because' - who the hell needs Due Process anyway.

Conducting these searches is also a huge waste of police resources - any would be terrorist worth their salt would make sure they was nothing to find. Explosives could be easily moved on site after the searches have taken place. Or do the Guards intend to stop and search people the streets in question too?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

My house is my castle. If your not invited. Stay the flip out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Finally the gardai who showed up was not wearing a hat? Is it within my rights to refuse entry if they are not wearing full uniform. Not saying I would since I don't want them taking a dislike to us but would be handy to know.

Most Garda Powers apply whether the Garda is in uniform or not and whether he/she is on or off duty.
    Only for things like inspecting pubs is the uniform required.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I'd like to thank you publicly for wasting my tax money, by insisting on gardai having to waste extra hours on getting a warrant for a search that you have no problem with, once there is a warrant. That's a few hours that that local Garda could be answering calls and dealing with the public.

I raise my glass to you stimpson.

I suppose you support internment without trial because it might save a few man hours?

I never said I didn't have a problem with it. A guard needs reasonable suspicion to get a warrant. Refusing them free reign to wander around my house should not constitute reasonable grounds.

If you are so worried about saving the guards a few quid you should get yourself out to Sligo to see the waste going on out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

Not often I say this but Im against the Garda action this time. As someone else said, your home is your castle and I personally wouldnt take kindly to being informed that "Everyone MUST be vetted". vetted for what? To continue to live in my own home?

Now, seeing as I am a Garda I tend to be polite to my local colleagues so if this happened to me and it was a request I would let them in and put the kettle on however I would take exception if it was a demand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

A reasonable person would let them?

OP tell them to fcuk off, its your house and YOU are entitled to your privacy.

They have NO RIGHT to search your house without a warrant. Stick to your guns and dont be bullied.

You are entitled to your privacy, this is totally unreasonable of the Gardaí, turning over your house because you may be a terrorist? Jesus Christ.

OP stick this over in the legal discussion forum and see what the legal heads say there, rather than asking in the garda forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

stimpson wrote: »
    If they have a valid reason then they can get a warrant. That is the whole point. If you are not under suspicion you have a constitutional right to the privacy of your own home. Just because Mrs Saxe-Coburg-Gotha is coming to tea doesn't mean you should have your rights trampled on.

Queen Victoria is coming too?:eek:

Queen Victoria is coming too?:eek:

Windsor is just the name of a castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭delta720

Imagine the situation if houses along the Queens possible route weren't searched, and dissident republicans picked a certain house as an ideal location for an explosive attack.

If there was an attack and Irish citizens were hurt or killed, you'd have all the same people currently shouting about their rights then giving out about: 'the Gardai not protecting us', 'my taxes are ment to pay for my protection', 'Gardai are payed 100,000 euro a year and they can't even look after us', 'My house wasn't even searched, wouldn't take a genius to figure out where they were going to attack from, stupid Gardai with their Junior Certs', 'They should have been stopping real crime like this instead of wasting their time arresting people for a bit of weed'.....it goes on, basicly the Guards can never win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Eru wrote: »
    Now, seeing as I am a Garda I tend to be polite to my local colleagues so if this happened to me and it was a request I would let them in and put the kettle on however I would take exception if it was a demand.

No one is saying that you have to welcome them in, bend over for them and make them dinner. No one likes having their home turned over by strangers, for reasons they don't agree with, but I can't see why people would get so incensed by it. Besides, I think we can surmise that this is nothing but a rudimentary look around.

The views opposing mine reek of the speeding drivers argument; ya know those drivers who complain about the speed traps are the ones who the speed traps are there to snare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

The views opposing mine reek of the speeding drivers argument; ya know those drivers who complain about the speed traps are the ones who the speed traps are there to snare.

So everyone who wants to defend their rights is a terrorist ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

No, but they have some reason that they don't want the gardai in there.

I dunno. I'm generalising. If it was our president, or Obama, would there be such commotion about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 GetTheFFOut

Locust wrote: »
    I suppose there a few reasons perhaps the main one that comes to mind is that there is a major threat from dissident republican groups to attack anything associated with the royals in Ireland?! They can't take any chances of an attack/bomb especially if it were in Dublin/built up area... Search OP's house? or don't bother because it might upset people, having a snoop around their rooms...?

Why you the law abiding citizens house? Let say hypothetically for the OP they may be coming past his front door. Lets just imagine for a moment - perhaps the authorities are acting on information they have intercepted/received via surveillance (fairly plausible i suppose) that the royals would be attacked on your road?! It would make sense in that hypothetical scenario to suss out and if need be search every building on the street.
    But they would still have no reason to search my home because I have nothing to do with any republican group and never will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 GetTheFFOut

Lets put it like this, can I come over to your house and snoop through your belongings?

Nice straw man argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭jimbob86

The queens visit is costing the state 13 million i heard on the radio today,thats some bull****e.....

She is also laying a wreath at the 1916 garden of remberance at the top of o connell st,thats a bit rich imo especially on her first visit to this country.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

President Clinton visited Ireland in 1998. I was living in Limerick at the time and several weeks before the visit a garda and a secret service agent called to my house.
    I lived just off the SCR and the Clinton entourage were going to be staying in
    Adare Manor and their trip back in to Limerick passed by my door.

The Garda politely enquired as to the number of tenants in the house.
    I said that I wasn't happy at being questioned about my private property.
    The Garda explained that they were doing a security reconnaissance and that there was nothing to be worried about.

I can well understand the OP's reluctance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Why not have a bit of craic with the feds and do the following,
    1. Put on celtic jersey
    2. leave a few bags of 10/10/20 just in view
    3. put the wolfe tones on full blast
    4. act all nervous when you answer the door
    Just don't blame us if your house gets wrecked in the follow up search and you get a few digs in the Bridewell.
    You'll be a hero to us though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

The Gardai need to have a valid reason to be there, not the other way around.

No-one wants uninvited strangers snooping around their house.

in 2004, ireland held the presidency of the EU for 6 months.
    dublin castle was were pretty much all events took place.

every person who worked in dublin castle ( revenue staff, tribrunial staff, events office staff etc etc) were ALL subject to security checks before they were allowed to work inside in the castle.
    everyone living within half mile radius, the same thing! including apartments, where a few brothels were uncovered!!!!

if they didnt pass, did not allow the check, they dint get in. simples.

lots of states of head, presidents and prime ministers were in the country for months around our presidency of the EU. never heard any complaints for those 6 months!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Rawhead wrote: »
    Why not have a bit of craic with the feds and do the following,
    1. Put on celtic jersey
    2. leave a few bags of 10/10/20 just in view
    3. put the wolfe tones on full blast
    4. act all nervous when you answer the door
    Just don't blame us if your house gets wrecked in the follow up search and you get a few digs in the Bridewell.
    You'll be a hero to us though....

and while your in the bridewell, starve yerself and smear sh1t on the walls.

a true hero

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

The people of Moneygall are going to have to put up with ALOT more from the US Secret Service and the Irish Special Branch and I'd bet you won't hear them complaining

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

bubblypop wrote: »
    in 2004, ireland held the presidency of the EU for 6 months.
    dublin castle was were pretty much all events took place.

every person who worked in dublin castle ( revenue staff, tribrunial staff, events office staff etc etc) were ALL subject to security checks before they were allowed to work inside in the castle.
    everyone living within half mile radius, the same thing! including apartments, where a few brothels were uncovered!!!!

if they didnt pass, did not allow the check, they dint get in. simples.

lots of states of head, presidents and prime ministers were in the country for months around our presidency of the EU. never heard any complaints for those 6 months!!

How do you legally ban someone from their own home? What law governing this country covers that?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    No-one wants uninvited strangers snooping around their house.

An uninvited stranger is one thing. A civil servant looking to prevent a terrorist incident which throws us all back to the mid 1970s is an entirely different matter...

If theres nothing to hide, whats the problem?
    If I was unhappy with how the country is run I'd live somewhere else, rather than stay here and complain about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Some media reports this am on the radio don't do much to quell fears. "Gardaí are stepping up surveillance on known terrorist groups ..." and a long list is then named.

Anyone could be in one of those organisations and, according to the news on the radio this is why they are searching.

If this is a genuine slant or a runaway journalist, I don't know, but I'd be more reluctant now to cooperate TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

The attitudes of some of the posters in here are ridiculous. Saying AGS should be allowed into peoples homes to check for anything illegal because the Queen might be passing by is a disgrace. In that case, why don't AGS just check every house in the country and look for anything illegal. Surely that would be a great way to lower the crime rates.....or not, because it's a massive invasion of privacy to search someones home with no reason to suspect anything. Close the door on them. We didn't ask for this visit, and we certainly don't have to entertain its ridiculous security measures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 incident commander

angelfire9 wrote: »
    If the dubs think this is bad wait til the secret service really get going in Moneygall!!! ;)

Its mad out in moneygall. The houses are getting painted, washed, there doing everything. The have had secret service out all ready doing the houses and all. Sure there going welding manholes and everything.

There was a bit of action out there last week and truck carrying Cat.1 expolisves crashed into donavans and made sh1t of the front of the shop, the owner got some shock cause he was out riding out his hourses and came around the corner to see it......

IC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I do hate the whole "If you have nothing to hide.." argument. As a member of AGS I have no business invading anyone's home unless I know I have a lawful reason and a warrant (if necessary under the circumstances) to enter. It's all to do with that constitution I'm tasked with protecting and upholding. It wasn't designed to be circumvented for convenience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I'm sure there's probably a small few prats around who'd be interesting in setting off a bomb at or near the queen when she's here. But to think there people would just happen to live in a house along one of the roads that the queen will travel on is a bit ridiculous. And even if they did. that they would just happen to be holing the explosives in their house a month before she comes. And even if they were doing that, that they would be stupid enough to leave them there until Gardai came back with a search warrent after being refused initial entry.

The whole premise is just absurd.
    No wonder we had a 20 Billion Euro deficit!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement