Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gardai searching all houses for the queen

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

But they would still have no reason to search my home because I have nothing to do with any republican group and never will.

In fairness how would crime be solved without Gardai investigating prior to getting someone to court? Saying "Im not a terrorist" is exactly what terrorists say when approached by Gardai. In fact, its rare a criminal stands on O'Connell Street shouting full disclosure of his criminal behaviour. Generally they deny it as well. In your case it happens to be true (Im assuming)

Lets put it like this, can I come over to your house and snoop through your belongings?

You also cant walk into a hospital and perform open heart surgery or fly to the moon in a nasa shuttle. Suggesting Gardai cant or shouldnt do something because you cant makes no sense as you are not charged with protecting the state and combating crime as they are.
    discus wrote: »
    No one is saying that you have to welcome them in, bend over for them and make them dinner. No one likes having their home turned over by strangers, for reasons they don't agree with, but I can't see why people would get so incensed by it. Besides, I think we can surmise that this is nothing but a rudimentary look around.

The views opposing mine reek of the speeding drivers argument; ya know those drivers who complain about the speed traps are the ones who the speed traps are there to snare.

Im not disagreeing with you and if people think Im saying you shouldnt let the Gardai in then they are wrong. What Im saying is theres a world of difference between a Garda making a legal demand and making a polite request.

On this occasion Im saying that if they came to my door, explained why and asked politely I would let them work away but if they were ignorant and started demanding things, I would not be inclined to agree. Its not so much whats being asked but how as I can fully see the logic in what they are doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

No effing way would they be crossing my threshold to "have a look around", the f**king cheek of them! just cos queenie is paying a visit? ask me hole.
    Just an aside, I'd be vary wary of "Gardai" calling to have a look around, check ID's carefully, this is an ideal opportunity for chancers/thieves to get inside peoples homes (particularly the elderly or vulnerable) pretending to be Gardai or simpler still, "detectives".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

stimpson wrote: »
    Windsor is just the name of a castle.

Saxe Coburg Gotha is not the family name of the queen since she got married...
    The Saxe Coburg Gogha name is now carried by Prince Andreas (Of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha)
    If anything she is Mrs Mountbatten.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Mountbatten was Phil's maternal grandfarthers name. His father's surname was Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg.

Probably a little too german sounding for a british royal.

stimpson wrote: »
    Mountbatten was Phil's maternal grandfarthers name. His father's surname was Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg.

Probably a little too german sounding for a british royal.

Its a bit of a mouthful, but we'll go with it from now on so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

The Saxe Coburg Gogha name is now carried by Prince Andreas (Of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha)

Well it would be Battenberg, as Mountbatten was another 1st world war rename.

jhegarty wrote: »
    Well it would be Battenberg, as Mountbatten was another 1st world war rename.

Just like the poor german shephard dog, who suddenly found he was being referred ot as an "Alsation".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    The Gardai need to have a valid reason to be there, not the other way around.

Rudimentary search of a premises which is located along a route that will be (potentially) used by a visiting head of state... Seems legit to me!

To all ye on here banging on about civil liberties... Head off to Russia, Libya, Uganda or Saudi Arabia and let me know how we fare compared to them ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

discus wrote: »
    To all ye on here banging on about civil liberties... Head off to Russia, Libya, Uganda or Saudi Arabia and let me know how we fare compared to them ;)
    We will be considerably closer to them if the "nothing to hide" brigade get their way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

An uninvited stranger is one thing. A civil servant looking to prevent a terrorist incident which throws us all back to the mid 1970s is an entirely different matter...

If theres nothing to hide, whats the problem?
    If I was unhappy with how the country is run I'd live somewhere else, rather than stay here and complain about it.

If there's something to hide or not, they need good reason to suspect me as a terrorist to come into my house. That's the way it works.

I am unhappy with certain aspects of how the country is run, so I will complain about it and do what I can to see it change. Not just leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

Thats fair enough, we obviously have different opinions on this.

Just bear in mind that while me or you may have no ill intentions towards the queen, there are people in the world who do (not just Irish people) and who may want to cause problems...

Thats fair enough, we obviously have different opinions on this.

Just bear in mind that while me or you may have no ill intentions towards the queen, there are people in the world who do (not just Irish people) and who may want to cause problems...

Yes. Your opinion seems to state that we should let our police force do whatever they like without being objected to. And if you don't like that, then you should run away from it to another country.

Not my cup of tea at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

A Garda is a Garda, even in a pair of waiders and a pink tutu and the word uniform generally refers to clothing making a Garda readily identifiable as being a Garda. Such clothing could be riot gear, bike leathers and high viz jacket for Traffic Corps, etc etc

as far as i know the whole hat thing is the garda has to be wearing it when making an arrest

Hi all, I was at home the other day when a knock on the door revealed a uniformed gardai who was looking for a list of the people living in the house. This is because the queen's route "may" be passing this way and so everyone needs to be cleared. Now I don't really have a problem with this, but she then informed me that closer to the time several gardai would be coming down to search the house for explosives. Apparently every house, along possible routes, will be searched and inspected.

Now I have nothing to hide, however I think this is a pretty big invasion of privacy. I'm not planning on having her over for tea and scones after all.
    The amount this visit is costing aside (though my own personal view is that a private visit means its nothing to do with the gardai and nothing to do with me and so they should have to pay/cover at least some of the cost).

Oh I was just informed that she'll also most likely be travelling by helicopter too which means its even more unlikely that she'll be taking any of the several roads that they are searching.

So do they gardai need a search warrent or not to enter my premises?

Finally the gardai who showed up was not wearing a hat? Is it within my rights to refuse entry if they are not wearing full uniform. Not saying I would since I don't want them taking a dislike to us but would be handy to know.

Thanks for your comments guys.

ye wouldnt mind a few milk churns for me for a few weeks would ye??
    its just me cow is sick and ive nowhere to put them:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

So how would you explain plain clothes Gardaí then?

The "whole hat thing" is an urban legend I'm afraid.
    as far as i know the whole hat thing is the garda has to be wearing it when making an arrest

psni wrote: »
    So how would you explain plain clothes Gardaí then?

The "whole hat thing" is an urban legend I'm afraid.

id have loads of ways to explain them .........

i did say as far as i was aware. stand corrected if im wrong

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

No worries. A lot of people are under this impression. It's the State that gives the Gardaí the powers that they have, not the uniform or any part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

Hi all, I was at home the other day when a knock on the door revealed a uniformed gardai who was looking for a list of the people living in the house. This is because the queen's route "may" be passing this way and so everyone needs to be cleared. Now I don't really have a problem with this, but she then informed me that closer to the time several gardai would be coming down to search the house for explosives. Apparently every house, along possible routes, will be searched and inspected.

Now I have nothing to hide, however I think this is a pretty big invasion of privacy. I'm not planning on having her over for tea and scones after all.
    The amount this visit is costing aside (though my own personal view is that a private visit means its nothing to do with the gardai and nothing to do with me and so they should have to pay/cover at least some of the cost).

Oh I was just informed that she'll also most likely be travelling by helicopter too which means its even more unlikely that she'll be taking any of the several roads that they are searching.

Finally the gardai who showed up was not wearing a hat? Is it within my rights to refuse entry if they are not wearing full uniform. Not saying I would since I don't want them taking a dislike to us but would be handy to know.

what are they going to do when Obama comes? theyll propberly make us all get under our beds

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

jimbob86 wrote: »
    The queens visit is costing the state 13 million i heard on the radio today,thats some bull****e.....

She is also laying a wreath at the 1916 garden of remberance at the top of o connell st,thats a bit rich imo especially on her first visit to this country.:mad:

why can she pay for it herself, one of the riches people around, and having done absoluaty nothing to earn it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Everytime I see the title of this thread I think "God, how on earth did someone manage to lose the Queen"??! :D

• Advertisement

Overature wrote: »
    what are they going to do when Obama comes? theyll propberly make us all get under our beds

Full cavity search. Got a problem with that?

Why? What have you got to hide?!?! :eek:

Overature wrote: »

ah i have a bit of experience in this i remember when clinton visited a few years back, i was doing security in a place at stephens green at the time. i was having a break and i was upstairs looking out the window with a couple of the girls that worked there, i happened to have the handle of a sweeping brush in my hand. and before long we had the c.i.a or whoever they were running up the stairs roaring and shouting at us. i can only presume they thought i was dublins answer to lee harvey oswald:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i do hope that the queen will have a safe journey, i am not on her travelling route, it would not be good for all of us if someone does try to harm her, i wish her luck and hope she enjoy her time here

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭nick 56

As somebody who spent a day looking for a lost library book in a 3 bed house I would like to ask how well would they search. Would they lift the carpets? Would they check the floor for lose floorboards. (my kids had had a party)

Dem old time shiners were good at hiding the stuff – gardens, attics bunkers under the patio where does it stop?.

I used to live in Ballybough 20 years ago and if you had raided / searched the flats you would have found all sorts of stuff. Would they be able to act on the say shop lifted gear they might find.

Last point ---- The trouble is if you use / waste cops time how do you feel when your 3 year old goes missing on O’Connell st on a Saturday morning (hiding in Eason’s!) The guards found her God bless them:)

He actually can quite legally arrest someone while in the nip, however he may need a belt, to carry the handcuffs and his badge...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

He actually can quite legally arrest someone while in the nip, however he may need a belt, to carry the handcuffs and his badge...

She can too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Finally the gardai who showed up was not wearing a hat?

He could have been wearing nothing but a mankini, it doesn't matter.

RT66 wrote: »
    She can too...

My recurring dream....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

Wudyaquit wrote: »
    What's ridiculous about that? I heard the guards have a massive book of evidence on Wayne Dundon, but keep having to let him go because the guard looking after the case doesn't like wearing hats. True story.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You actually believe this????????

If the garda isnt wearing a hat it doesnt make a bit of difference.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

No sign of any Gardai here yet. Judging by the fun the census enumerator had, they'll be hard pushed to get a hold of even half the people around here.

Even if I minded the whole operation, it would be pretty futile for me to protest against it. Most of the stuff they'd be asking me about is already in PULSE.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement