Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

If you can show any eveidence of even 1 person getting a ticket for 1km/h over any limit you might have a point. I doubt you'll be able to find evidence though.

You could safely go an indicated 85 or so without issue and pretty much everyone knows this.

I read even on this forum, where people were writing about penatlies they got for doing 84 on 80 etc...

I assume if someone got it for 84 on 80, the same he can get for 81 on 80.

In the truck, even if you set cruise control at 80, the truck might do 81 anyway. Especially if it's downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

CiniO wrote: »
    I read even on this forum, where people were writing about penatlies they got for doing 84 on 80 etc...

I assume if someone got it for 84 on 80, the same he can get for 81 on 80.

In the truck, even if you set cruise control at 80, the truck might do 81 anyway. Especially if it's downhill.

I could write on a forum that the Gards let me away with 150 in a 30 zone. Without proof thats all it is.

It's very easy to prove claims of gettign tickets for doing a couple of k over the limit by scanning the ticket.

Anyway, you said 1km/h which is just tabloidism. You will not , in any situation get a ticket for 81 in an 80. There would be hoards of peopel on here with tickets as evidence to prove it if they did.

If the limiter is set to 80 and the dash is showing 80, you most likely not doing 80 anyway......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭markpb

cpoh1 wrote: »
    I think its quite clear from this that the daft notion that the speed cameras are costing the state money can be dispelled. I would hazard a gues that the setup costs are covered a multiple amount of times by revenue generated.
    I don't believe claims that this is a loss making exercise for the state, certainly not in the long term.

I think it's quite clear you're both making giant assumptions based on zero evidence. In fact, there's zero evidence either way about the schemes profitability.

They would have to issue (and collect) 200,000 fines per year, every year for the duration of the contract for the state to break even. Even then, there are additional costs not factored into the €16m like the cost of the tendering process, the salaries of the people monitoring the tender winners, etc. I've no idea how many fines they will collect per year and without any evidence, I'm not going to guess.

Jumpy wrote: »
    OH GOD NO. Thats terrible.

*sarcasm meter starts smoking*

It is indeed.
    Difference between 90km/h and 75km/h is 15km/h.
    During 9h it makes 135km difference.

135km might be the case of making the whole journey on one day, or spending the night in the truck.

It is indeed.
    Difference between 90km/h and 75km/h is 15km/h.
    During 9h it makes 135km difference.

135km might be the case of making the whole journey on one day, or spending the night in the truck.

So speed limits should only count if the truck driver isnt inconvenienced?

If we let them do 120 they have time for a pint when they get there too.

• Advertisement

I could write on a forum that the Gards let me away with 150 in a 30 zone. Without proof thats all it is.

It's very easy to prove claims of gettign tickets for doing a couple of k over the limit by scanning the ticket.

Anyway, you said 1km/h which is just tabloidism. You will not , in any situation get a ticket for 81 in an 80. There would be hoards of peopel on here with tickets as evidence to prove it if they did.

If the limiter is set to 80 and the dash is showing 80, you most likely not doing 80 anyway......

You are... Truck speedos and limiters are calibrated very precisely.

Besides. Can you give me guarantee that for doing 81 on 80 zone I'll be fine?

You are... Truck speedos and limiters are calibrated very precisely.

Besides. Can you give me guarantee that for doing 81 on 80 zone I'll be fine?

How many people have been done for it? Your the one claiming they will be done for it.
    My evidence that you wont is that no one has, wheres yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,924 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If you can show any eveidence of even 1 person getting a ticket for 1km/h over any limit you might have a point. I doubt you'll be able to find evidence though.

You could safely go an indicated 85 or so without issue and pretty much everyone knows this.

Doing an indicated 85km/h isn't safe, see the OP below, especially if you need a clean licence for work
    R0C wrote: »
    Saw the camera van but didn't think anything of it.

Looked at speedo on van which stated we were travelling at 85km/h at the time. Slowed back to 80km but too late.

Received ticket in the post this morning for doing 87km in a 100km zone. Now I've looked it up, the speed limit for towing a trailer is 80km.
    phutyle wrote: »
    HGV's and buses aren't allowed on the outside lane of motorways - it's a 1 penalty point offence, with an 80 euro fine. But of course, we all see it happening every day - yet another rule that is ignored and unenforced. Not sure about regular dual carriageways.

It's also an offence for cars to drive in the overtaking lane of a motorway, yet another law ignored everyday.

It's not just buses and HGVs that get away without enforcement, it's everyone.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Doing an indicated 85km/h isn't safe, see the OP below, especially if you need a clean licence for work

IMO ROC was mistaken or else he has a case against the manufacturer of his van because it's underreading his speed. That or theres non stock tyres on it that are throwing out the speedo.

So speed limits should only count if the truck driver isnt inconvenienced?

If we let them do 120 they have time for a pint when they get there too.

It's just a matter of general way it's done.

All over Europe trucks are driving at 90km/h on the limiter speed.
    Why Ireland is supposed to be different?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭PyeContinental

markpb wrote: »
    I think it's quite clear you're both making giant assumptions based on zero evidence.
    Indeed. No figures have been shown so far that prove a profit or a loss overall, and over what time period, therefore we are all making assumptions to arrive at our respective viewpoints.

I'm not sure how to quantify the size of our relative assumptions, but I will admit that mine is influenced by cynicism and distrust of government and big business. I believe that a diminishing propensity for naivety is a natural and wholly reasonable product of the experience gained by keeping one's eyes and ears open while getting older.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Please please don't turn this into another pedantic pro speedcamera/anti speedcamera thread :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

jameshayes wrote: »
    There is a reason the speed limit is lower for people towing - take your fine & move on.

yes , the same reason their has been a dramatic rise in summons and fines in the last 4 months to get revenue for a corrupt government to give to even corrupter banks .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 davejones572

I've seen speed camera signs on the roads now why did take so long ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,924 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

IMO ROC was mistaken or else he has a case against the manufacturer of his van because it's underreading his speed. That or theres non stock tyres on it that are throwing out the speedo.

Exactly my point. There's too many variables to assume that an indicated 85km/h is below 80km/h. If your livelihood depends on your licence you're going to make sure that you don't risk it and stick at an indicated 79km/h, even if that means you drive at 70km/h.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Exactly my point. There's too many variables to assume that an indicated 85km/h is below 80km/h. If your livelihood depends on your licence you're going to make sure that you don't risk it and stick at an indicated 79km/h, even if that means you drive at 70km/h.

Workign on the assumption that we know whether our cars are on stock wheels or not , 85 should really mean 80-82 at the most. None of the cars I've used a GPS in have been any closer than 3-4 km/h to indicated speed. Which brings us back to the myth of being done for 81 or 82.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Gene Hunt

Speeding is speeding, I run 4 HGV's on a 24hr breakdown/accident recovery service,recently had a call from local Gardai of an accident involving 2 cars in rush traffic between 5-6pm, was asked to have a truck on site as soon as due to blocked carriageway, nearest available truck was around 7 miles away so sent it, our trucks are all limited to 89kms cannot pull fuses out to bypass limiter as it's done via computer ,while the driver was on his way to accident gardai call again to ask to HURRY UP! road blocked, driver passed 'Safety Camera van on route doing 89kms that's him flat out, arrives ,clears carrigeway removes vehicles back to barracks....job done,....speeding ticket arrives 2weeks later for 87kms in 100 km zone, now I can't give the driver the points after me telling him to keep the toe on er as gardai have been ringing!! so I took them, as the registered owner, now ALL drivers are told to do 80kms or take the points, my point is...slow down YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Gene Hunt wrote: »
    Speeding is speeding, I run 4 HGV's on a 24hr breakdown/accident recovery service,recently had a call from local Gardai of an accident involving 2 cars in rush traffic between 5-6pm, was asked to have a truck on site as soon as due to blocked carriageway, nearest available truck was around 7 miles away so sent it, our trucks are all limited to 89kms cannot pull fuses out to bypass limiter as it's done via computer ,while the driver was on his way to accident gardai call again to ask to HURRY UP! road blocked, driver passed 'Safety Camera van on route doing 89kms that's him flat out, arrives ,clears carrigeway removes vehicles back to barracks....job done,....speeding ticket arrives 2weeks later for 87kms in 100 km zone, now I can't give the driver the points after me telling him to keep the toe on er as gardai have been ringing!! so I took them, as the registered owner, now ALL drivers are told to do 80kms or take the points, my point is...slow down YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!.

You should appeal those points. Contact the gardai who were asking you to hurry and have them make a statement on your behalf or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Gene Hunt wrote: »
    Did you try appealing? A Guard instructed you to go faster when you were doing the legal speed limit, in an emergency situation. Who knows!

Bummer though

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭number_1

R0C wrote: »
    A van has the same speed limit as anyone else except when towing a trailer

Any vehicle of any type/shape/variety with a gross vehicle weight above 3,500 kg is subject to a maximum speed limit of 80 km/hr on every public road in this country (even on motorways where other vehicles can travel at 120 km/hr).

What is the gross vehicle weight of your van? Note that this not the unladen weight of the vehicle, it is the total weight of the vehicle when it is fully loaded. If your vehicle is designed to weigh 3,501 kg or more when fully loaded with goods and people, then you are not allowed to exceed 80 km/hr on any road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭ofcork

Saw one out the mallow road 2 weeks ago but guys coming against me had flashed so i knew something was ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Regularly drive minibus with 100kph limiter, speedo reads 104, satnav reads 96.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 robbieastewart

How long should it take to get the letter in the post, i was doing about 90KM/h in an 80KM/h zone but haven't got anything yet, that was four weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

BuzzFish wrote: »
    Isn't there an operator inside who would have seen the trailer?

Operator's sit outside these days scoping for the guys with the petrol bombs:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭R0C

It's looking like the operator in the camera van mistakenly assumed the Transit pick-up was a HGV..

Will update when I know more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Re. Trailer speed limit,

I have two trailers, one is a 14 ft indespension loader unit, and I understand the frustration at sitting at 80kph on a primary road or motorway, especially when the landcruiser would happily do a lot more with it,

BUT.... the limit is there for a valid reason, although large trailers have brakes, they lock up under hard braking and its the stopping distance that determines the speed limit. Also there are so many frankenstein trailers out there with no standards set for them unlike HGV trailers. Gotta live with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 davejones572

Safety Camera road signs have now been put up about time too !

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭westerlywonder

mine took about 3 weeks to come, if the camera's do catch you there is a flash from the camera, if you didn't see a flash you may have got away with it!
    Though if you were flooring it and didn't even see the van, you might not have seen the flash either!

loobylou wrote: »
    Regularly drive minibus with 100kph limiter, speedo reads 104, satnav reads 96.
    That seems to be usuall.
    In minibus I drive sometimes, it says speed limiter is calibrated to 100km/h.
    In real speedo shows 65MPH which is 104km/h.
    Tachograph shows 92km/h. GPS shows 92km/h. And roadside speed radars with displays shows 92km/h.

So pretty much guys fitting speed limiter, didn't do the proper job.

PS. How many seats in your minibus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

PS. How many seats in your minibus?

Depends how many wheelchairs I strap in. Bus doesn't really fit any of the normal criteria, its adapted to carry people with disabilities.
    DOE is an annual nightmare, never the same rules each time.

Advertisement