Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

R0C wrote: »
    It's looking like the operator in the camera van mistakenly assumed the Transit pick-up was a HGV..

Will update when I know more.
    But the speed limit when pulling a trailer is 80km/h regardless of whether or not it is a transit or HGV?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭guil

kbannon wrote: »
    But the speed limit when pulling a trailer is 80km/h regardless of whether or not it is a transit or HGV?
    my guess is the op hopes the pic doesnt show the trailer and thinks he'll get away with it, is it a twin wheel on the back by any chance, aren't they over 3500kg's gvw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

What's wrong with this fcuking country when a man gets done for being 7km over the speed limit when towing a trailer! Am I the only one pissed angry by this pettiness? Isn't life tough enough without that kinda petty jobsworth bull****!!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭R0C

dnme wrote: »
    What's wrong with this fcuking country when a man gets done for being 7km over the speed limit when towing a trailer! Am I the only one pissed angry by this pettiness? Isn't life tough enough without that kinda petty jobsworth bull****!!

Unfortunately, I think you're one of the very few to see it that way in Ireland today..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

TrailerBob wrote: »
    BUT.... the limit is there for a valid reason, although large trailers have brakes, they lock up under hard braking and its the stopping distance that determines the speed limit.

That ...and their tendency to fishtail

PS ..this guy obviously knows how to control a fishtailing trailer ... don't try this at home :D

otherwise you might end up like this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,888 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

dnme wrote: »

Whatever about a car being 7km over on a national primary, there's a reason why trailers and large vehicles are restricted.

CiniO wrote: »
    I read even on this forum, where people were writing about penatlies they got for doing 84 on 80 etc...

I assume if someone got it for 84 on 80, the same he can get for 81 on 80.

In the truck, even if you set cruise control at 80, the truck might do 81 anyway. Especially if it's downhill.

The private speed cameras (the new ones with the Kerry reg plates) will do you for 81 or 82 in an 80 zone. The Garda GATSO vans generally won't, as least according to my brother who is a Garda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭buzzwell

Anan1 wrote: »
    A bit OT, but I thought we all know that revenue from speeding fines comes nowhere near meeting the cost of enforcement.

Are you serious?; a private company is operating these vans for the State.
    In the REAL WORLD private companies require profits to survive.
    If they cannot meet the cost of providing their "services" they will either go under or find ways of increasing profit.

To ensure that profits are generated, you may have noticed that these vans are now situated at same the old "easy target" spots which earned the Guards the reputation of "shooting fish in a barrel".

A revenue earner, and a record generated by a private company, transferred to the drivers' license.

Unfortunately, this has turned into a country where a guy in a hoody and a syringe threatening a shopkeeper will have more people pleading his case than a motorist caught travelling at 5% above the speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭rx8

Yesterday, I was travelling on the M50 between Ballymun and Liffey Valley,at about 6.30pm. I had just entered the motorway and was accelerating and moving out from the merging lane, when this clown comes flying up behind me from I don't know where, dodges out to the outside lane at about 120kph,flies past me,zooms back into the inside lane and then continues to weave in and out of the traffic until he gets to the Blachardstown exit, where he cuts across 2 lanes at the last second and exits up the ramp at about twice the speed limit.

Why do you think all this crazy driving behavior annoyed me so much...??..It's not all that unusual behavior on the M50 these days.

Well it's because of what he was driving.
    A brand new 11 KK speed camera van

Cheeky Bast**d:mad::mad:

I didn't get his reg no. to report him either..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Tragedy wrote: »
    That's the shameful thing. How many Traffic Corps guards could we train up to be proper traffic police with €16million? That would have a far larger effect...affect? (brain fart) on road safety than GoSafe camera vans.

Not to mention a few decent traffic cars...Toyota Avensis Estate 2L....jesus...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

rx8 wrote: »
    Yesterday, I was travelling on the M50 between Ballymun and Liffey Valley,at about 6.30pm. I had just entered the motorway and was accelerating and moving out from the merging lane, when this clown comes flying up behind me from I don't know where, dodges out to the outside lane at about 120kph,flies past me,zooms back into the inside lane and then continues to weave in and out of the traffic until he gets to the Blachardstown exit, where he cuts across 2 lanes at the last second and exits up the ramp at about twice the speed limit.

Why do you think all this crazy driving behavior annoyed me so much...??..It's not all that unusual behavior on the M50 these days.

Hmmmmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭policarp

Should've been clamped...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭markpb

buzzwell wrote: »
    Are you serious?; a private company is operating these vans for the State. In the REAL WORLD private companies require profits to survive. If they cannot meet the cost of providing their "services" they will either go under or find ways of increasing profit.

You don't know the arrangement between the State and GoSafe at all. It's very unlikely that the fines collected go to GoSafe. It's much more likely that they're being paid a fixed fee regardless of the amount of money that the State takes in. If it costs more to run, the state makes a loss. If they take in more than the cost, the state makes a profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Third or fourth similar story I've heard about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭buzzwell

markpb wrote: »
    You don't know the arrangement between the State and GoSafe at all. It's very unlikely that the fines collected go to GoSafe. It's much more likely that they're being paid a fixed fee regardless of the amount of money that the State takes in. If it costs more to run, the state makes a loss. If they take in more than the cost, the state makes a profit.

True, I dont know the arrangement, but why are they now back in the revenue earning "usual spots"; as opposed to roads "where people have died" as originally advertised and promised?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

AH->Motors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

These vans are identical to the gosafe ones with the camera domes etc on the roof, I've never seen a Garda van with the gear on the roof.

Also the spot where they are parking(between Ardee and Collon), in 3 years of travelling that road I never saw a camera van untill the new vans/company came in, now some mornings its a normal marked van and some its an unmarked van.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Honestly guys.

Learn where the vans are for your normal comute and check the garda website when you have to make an unusual journey to see where the vans are on your route.

It's that simple.

I just stick to 65 mph per my speedo in areas where there are vans. Simplest thing to do.

I save 90mph for the motorway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Honestly guys.

Learn where the vans are for your normal comute and check the garda website when you have to make an unusual journey to see where the vans are on your route.

It's that simple.

I just stick to 65 mph per my speedo in areas where there are vans. Simplest thing to do.

I save 90mph for the motorway.

This thread has nothing to do with complaining about where they are, or their function. I'm just interested to find out if a private company has been allowed to act undercover on behalf of the Garda..despite the motoring public being told that the new vans are not for money making and will be highly visible at their locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

TrailerBob wrote: »
    Re. Trailer speed limit,

I have two trailers, one is a 14 ft indespension loader unit, and I understand the frustration at sitting at 80kph on a primary road or motorway, especially when the landcruiser would happily do a lot more with it,

BUT.... the limit is there for a valid reason, although large trailers have brakes, they lock up under hard braking and its the stopping distance that determines the speed limit. Also there are so many frankenstein trailers out there with no standards set for them unlike HGV trailers. Gotta live with it.
    I don't really have a huge issue with the actual limit, my fuel economy is certainly noticably better at 80km/h as opposed to 100km/h. Like yourself I have a vehicle thats well able to tow at a faster speed and be stable, but now I just set the cruise control and don't worry about it.

Personally my issue is with not being allowed to overtake on a 2-lane motorway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

It would seem that its not quite as simple as you like to think ...
    RollYerOwn wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure this is not an accident blackspot and the stretch of road is not marked on the Garda mobile camera locations web-site (although there is one going south from the Dublin Airport roundabout).
    And I've also seen them in area's that ARE NOT shown on the Garda website :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

I had an image of an Evo or something along the likes of it playing out the scene of your story, until you said it was a camera van, then I stopped believing it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Not like he's going to get done for speeding....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Here in Kerry the Council or NRA have erected speed camera signs at the entrance into the zones as highlighted on the Garda maps; is this a National thing or something just down here?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,888 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

markpb wrote: »

It's a €16 million annual contract for GoSafe to run the cameras for the state. In order for it to be revenue neutral they'd need to catch 200,000 people speeding. For some reason I can't find the stats for speeding offences:(.
    buzzwell wrote: »
    True, I dont know the arrangement, but why are they now back in the revenue earning "usual spots"; as opposed to roads "where people have died" as originally advertised and promised?

Yeah I noticed that. There's regularly a GoSafe van at the Topaz on the N81. When it started I checked the website and there wasn't any speed collision zone there. After I spotted the van I checked the web and sure enough there's a speed collision zone there now. Never seen any collisions there between launch and now. So what suddenly got so deadly about that area?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭C4Kid

is this a National thing or something just down here?

It's National , they seem to have the majority up by this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Obv late for work. There is massive irony in there somewhere. What a laugh it would be back at the office to have a speed camera van caught on speed camera.

I remember being told that when checking the old stationary boxes a lot of the checks use to be for fire engines and police cars etc although one day a car went by so fast that it had half cleared the picture. There was still enough for the picture. But dead centre of the picture there was a man on a push bike.

It kinda reminded me of the old X marks the spot in the sunday papers years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

rx8 wrote: »

I didn't get his reg no. to report him either..

Ring the company I've been told that there is trackers in all the vans in case on of them gets nicked they should be able to tell what van it was.....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

uh oh,it's happened again
    A speed camera van has been attacked and set alight in Co Donegal.

The attack happened shortly after 3am this morning on the main road between Carndonagh and Quigley's Point in Inishowen.

One person was in the van at the time but they escaped injury.

Gardaí are examining the van and have launched a full investigation.

It is the latest in a series of similar attacks on speed vans around the country, the most recent took place last month near Gorey in Co Wexford.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/gardai-investigate-attack-on-speed-camera-van-in-donegal-500579.html#ixzz1J17GJ0VX

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/gardai-investigate-attack-on-speed-camera-van-in-donegal-500579.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

Great news, how many of the shaggers are left?

Advertisement