Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

to what address?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

If you're found out giving misleading information it could be far more serious than a speeding fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

I thought all speed cameras, Garda manned ones aside, would be places in vans similar to this:

http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/Image%20of%20Van4.pdf

Are speed cameras ever mounted in vehicles similar to this:

http://media.il.edmunds-media.com/ford/transit/2010/as/09/ch/2010_ford_transit_rear_09-ch-as_1_717.jpg

Saw it parked up just past an exit ramp on the M7 before Portlaoise earlier today? It had similar markings to the official one down the side and what appeared to be an area cut out for a camera on the back panel, there was a guy in a high vis vest in the front seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

If it was branded up like a speed camera van (i.e. chevrons and a picture of a speed camera on it) then it was a speed camera van.

They've spread the make/model across several manufacturers.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

dolallyoh wrote: »
    Pretty sure they don't. Face traffic so can't flash anyway.
    On two separate occasions, I've seen them flash at night (thankfully not for me) towards oncoming traffic. It wasn't an in-your-face type of flash though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

kbannon wrote: »
    On two separate occasions, I've seen them flash at night (thankfully not for me) towards oncoming traffic. It wasn't an in-your-face type of flash though.

Actually I satand corrected, the big white gardai van they use at night on the naas road by the iveco plant does this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Actually I satand corrected, the big white gardai van they use at night on the naas road by the iveco plant does this.

Renowned dangerous stretch of road....almost 20 fatalities a day on this 3 lane death road....:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

kbannon wrote: »
    Just thinking about it, I'm also thinking about the big white gardai ones. I haven't seen the private ones in use yet - I've only seen them en route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Saw on last nights news a camera van was burned out near Wexford.

It happened approximately 7.30pm Sunday night :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

There was one on the mayo side of Tuam around 11-11:30pm lastnight when I was passing, and a 7-garda checkpoint on the galway side. Epic bad day if someone was caught on either side....

• Advertisement

IrishHomer wrote: »

@everyone - factual discussion of this event only please. "Let's burn them all", "pity the driver didn't go up too" and similar posts will result in an instant ban.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

IrishHomer wrote: »

Good stuff.

-Chris- wrote: »

@everyone - factual discussion of this event only please. "Let's burn them all", "pity the driver didn't go up too" and similar posts will result in an instant ban.
    KamiKazi wrote: »
    Good stuff.

Well done.

See you in 3 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

mfceiling wrote: »
    Renowned dangerous stretch of road....almost 20 fatalities a day on this 3 lane death road....:rolleyes:

Cynicism about the speed/safety cameras is one thing, but sarcasm about road deaths suggests a serious lack of cop-on IMO.

There have been at least two fatal crashes on the NDC in the last several years. Here's what I found with a quick Google search:

Man killed by crash on Naas Road dual carriageway (October 2010)

Devastated families try to piece together events leading to tragic crash (March 2008)

Again, I would suggest that these fatal crashes are used to 'justify' the presence of speed/safety cameras in the general area. Given the cynicism and the short memories evident in this forum, you can imagine the resistance to speed/safety cameras if AGS could not point to such previous incidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Cynicism about the speed/safety cameras is one thing, but sarcasm about road deaths suggests a serious lack of cop-on IMO.

There have been at least two fatal crashes on the NDC in the last several years. Here's what I found with a quick Google search:

Man killed by crash on Naas Road dual carriageway (October 2010)

Devastated families try to piece together events leading to tragic crash (March 2008)

Again, I would suggest that these fatal crashes are used to 'justify' the presence of speed/safety cameras in the general area. Given the cynicism and the short memories evident in this forum, you can imagine the resistance to speed/safety cameras if AGS could not point to such previous incidents.

Neither report speeding as to have had an bearing on the crashes you posted.

In fact one of them clearly says that the driver was driving the wrong way.
    THE learner driver at the wheel of the car involved in a horrific smash with an off-duty garda's vehicle must have been driving the wrong way by accident, his family maintained yesterday.

How would a speed camera have prevented that from happening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

draffodx wrote: »
    Neither report speeding as to have had an bearing on the crashes you posted.

In fact one of them clearly says that the driver was driving the wrong way.

How would a speed camera have prevented that from happening?

I've already commented on this issue. I can only give an opinion. Any definitive answer must come from AGS, presumably.

Personally I don't believe the speed/cameras need such justification. Any measures that lead to a higher level of road safety awareness and increased compliance with speed limits are welcome, IMO. As far as I am concerned case-by-case objections regarding specific locations are just tendentious arguments. There is an overall purpose to the GoSafe programme, which is to reduce death and injury on the roads. That stated aim is good enough for me, and I sincerely hope that in due course the speed/safety cameras will prove their worth. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mfceiling wrote: »

Theres been plenty of accidents across boths sides of that road over the years involving pedestrains. Plus theres plenty of businesses with entrance/rxit straight out on to the road.

Plus , the fact it's a well known spt for many years now, you really cant blame anyone but yourself if your caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

5537768227_80e4911d3a_z.jpg

Just got a snap of one today. Where is there depot in Sandyford? They are always around here.

Location: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=53.276403,-6.221759&num=1&sll=53.276763,-6.224259&sspn=0.026692,0.06403&ie=UTF8&ll=53.275402,-6.21942&spn=0.005954,0.01929&z=16

ironclaw wrote: »
    Just got a snap of one today. Where is there depot in Sandyford? They are always around here.

I was ahead of one in traffic, he turned down this road.
    http://goo.gl/maps/Jy43

There's nothing down there, certainly not speed camera zones, so I'd say the depot's down there somewhere.

*cue roving gangs burning down industrial units in Sandyford Industrial Estate... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

You will see a sign down there some night....Free marshmallows here..

• Advertisement

-Chris- wrote: »
    I was ahead of one in traffic, he turned down this road.
    http://goo.gl/maps/Jy43

There's nothing down there, certainly not speed camera zones, so I'd say the depot's down there somewhere.

*cue roving gangs burning down industrial units in Sandyford Industrial Estate... :p

I'd imagine they are well secured at night to stop people saying thank you and bringing the kids up to see the vans... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Lads I went past one of the 'safety' speed cameras late last night at 83-84Kph (accord. to gps) in a 80kph zone. It didn't flash, but I'm going to presume there fitted with infra red cameras and may not need to flash.

Whats the chances I've been caught?

And I'm just curious, whats the go safe vans range especially in heavy rain like last night

Van located on the Clane/Kilcock road.

http://goo.gl/3E7Xj

landyman wrote: »
    Lads I went past one of the 'safety' speed cameras late last night at 83-84Kph (accord. to gps) in a 80kph zone. It didn't flash, but I'm going to presume there fitted with infra red cameras and may not need to flash.

Whats the chances I've been caught?

And I'm just curious, whats the go safe vans range especially in heavy rain like last night

They don't flash. They are completely infrared at night.

If it was really heavy rain and given your speed, you could be ok. 50:50

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Yea it was quite heavy alright. Wipers on max and thats with the new valeo wipers. Fingers crossed nothing arrives in the post. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Could be ok for going 83 kph in a 80 kph zone??, is that the same as going 51 mph in a 50 mph zone??!! . How could anyone be done for that??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Does anyone know where to find the official regulations regarding the new speed camera vans?

The Garda website says

"the camera's will operate from vans which will be marked with high visibility reflective material and will display a safety camera symbol"

Yet Gosafe are operating an unmarked van on the N2 regularly??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Are the unmarked ones either the old Garda Speed vans or traffic monitoring?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭NFD100

That's a Garda van. Unlike Gosafe vans they don't need to be marked.

Could be ok for going 83 kph in a 80 kph zone??, is that the same as going 51 mph in a 50 mph zone??!! . How could anyone be done for that??

Well, to the letter of the law your over. Allowing a ±1km/h for accuracy. People need to stop this mentality of "Sure I was only 1 or 2 over" The fact of the matter is your over. You can't half murder someone. I don't agree with it either but I'd rather be 1 or 2 under than 1 or 2 over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

I eu regs state they all must be marked or they can't take ur photo.

Advertisement