Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Your first 20+ miles was 3.2x if i recall right so under 4.30 is well within your range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

waiting to hear Mallow story!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Someone's in the sunny south east having a green tea and a cosmopolitan and apparently will get around to this when good and ready.

'Oh my God, roysh, I'll like totally do it later';)

Shocking behaviour :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

mrslow wrote: »
    Someone's in the sunny south east having a green tea and a cosmopolitan and apparently will get around to this when good and ready.

'Oh my God, roysh, I'll like totally do it later';)

No update by the help = Lazy Maid = P45

• Advertisement

The butler Tarquin must be very busy today that he can't get round to ditacting her thoughts and musings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Met up with Meno, RK, Spagbol, Casanova and Mrsmelly bright and early but fashionably late of course. Not actually that late but very fashionable. What can I say, it comes naturally! Everyone was talking about goal times on the train. I was wondering whether I’d actually make it into my running gear at all. One minute I was thinking I’d have a crack at 1.25, the next I was planning 10minute miles. RK settled my grump (which was turning into a first class strop) and told me to just head out with the 90minute pacers and play it by ear.

So I did just that. It was a pretty tight pack and the road surface wasn’t great so I just tried to stay a few steps ahead of them. The pace felt good and manageable which surprised me given how wrecked and slow I’ve been of late. It was a nice surprise when I realised the first water station was at mile 4 as I thought we were only at 3 miles. Went through 5miles at 44.50 bang on target. I wanted to belt off then but thought it would be a bad idea so I stayed put. Some poor girl took a dive and tumble at one stage but it was practically into the back of the ambulance on the course so I didn’t feel like too much of an immoral brat for not stopping. And to the guy who insisted on playing tunes from his iphone on speaker while talking sh!t and giving out about the no-headphones policy, will you please consider others and at least put on a decent playlist. Had he come one step closer, he may have received an accidental elbow to the forehead. Actually I’m not that tall, so maybe slightly lower and slightly more painful. He was my main drive for pushing a few steps ahead at the 9mile marker although at that point I wasn’t going to gain a whole heap. I was the first of the group to finish though after sprinting that last few meters to take one guy out of the game so that was something for the day. RK and Brianderunner got me over the line with a holler – cheers for the support lads. Mrsmelly seemed to have left his support in the bin with all of remnants of the fruit shop he ate on the train! Fell into Aimman’s arms at the finish line – I was absolutely pooped, he was recovered and ready to go again having finished a good 23 minutes earlier!

Looking back I definitely could have pushed myself a bit more. I was pretty comfortable at that pace throughout (though I definitely couldn’t run a marathon at it anytime soon) and I suppose I was over conservative. The little bit of common sense I possess prevailed and instead of kicking on when I wanted to, I reminded myself that Connemara is my only concern at the minute, there’s plenty of time for an 85minute 10miler. Maybe next year. I was terrified I’d lose a limb or have a heart attack if I acted the silly – don’t forget that I’m in that place where everyone and everything is out to ruin my marathon!

Unfortunately I appeared then to have used all of the little bit of common sense up during the race so when the beer came out it was game over. Although it was all legal so that took the fun out of it a bit. However after a fun day at the office, digdig failed to perform and kept his banana all to himself despite my best efforts. Oh well, again -there’s always next year!

Brilliant day out, great race, wonderful company and a bit of craic. Definitely one for the annual calendar.

Garmin stats: 10.07 miles - 1.29.16 – Av pace 8.51 :D
    Official result: 1.29.16 – bang on Garmin!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Well done :)

Enjoy the next 2 weeks and Conn - you are well set for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

You are definately in good shape for connemara, hopefully that race will give you a bit of confidence.
    Liking the Mrs melly btw :p

chinguetti wrote: »
    The butler Tarquin must be very busy today that he can't get round to ditacting her thoughts and musings.
    digger2d2 wrote: »
    No update by the help = Lazy Maid = P45

Tarquin has blamed the Sunday staff on my being stranded on the wrong side of the river with no awaiting helicopter and having to get one of these 'taxi' mobiles home in the wee hours. I told him it wasn't good enough and gave him a clip around the ear. By way of apology he delivered a tasty ripe banana after I explained my upset (see above) and I've forgiven him. Apparently I'm easy like that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

claralara....You ran very well in Mallow and were extremely disciplined! I've no doubt you'll have a great run in Conn and I said I'd get back to your Dad tomorrow to confirm if I can go to support you.

Rasputin

Well done again. Clever running and goes to show that your training has been going well. Hopefully that will give you the confidence not to be so hard on yourself as you were smart on not pushing it and keeping the big goal in mind.

Looks like a sensible run, in the face of Sunday week and its challenges, rather than a fantastic race in its own right. I imagine there's a bit of a feeling of "I could have done a lot better"...but Mallow wasn't your target race, and you can't race every week. Very much, IMHO, the right decision to take it fairly easy, rather than go all out and risk injury or burnout. I considered heading down to Mallow myself, but for exactly that reason (and lacking your self control), I stayed put.

If you think your pace was too fast for 26.2,then take the first couple of miles in Conn quite a bit slower - there's lots of them, so you have time to catch up on yourself.

Well done. Taper logically and try not to twist an ankle, catch cold or do anything you'll regret in the next ten days.:)

Well done on your race missus! Connemara will be a blast for you!

menoscemo wrote: »

I was starting to worry you'd get repetitive strain injury on Sunday.......of the mouth:P

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I was starting to worry you'd get repetitive strain injury on Sunday.......of the mouth:P

I thought he'd be more likely to get it in his drinking arm!

I thought he'd be more likely to get it in his drinking arm!

That makes 2 of you ;)

Well done :)

Enjoy the next 2 weeks and Conn - you are well set for it!
    menoscemo wrote: »
    You are definately in good shape for connemara, hopefully that race will give you a bit of confidence.
    digger2d2 wrote: »
    claralara....You ran very well in Mallow and were extremely disciplined! I've no doubt you'll have a great run in Conn and I said I'd get back to your Dad tomorrow to confirm if I can go to support you.

Rasputin
    Well done again. Clever running and goes to show that your training has been going well. Hopefully that will give you the confidence not to be so hard on yourself as you were smart on not pushing it and keeping the big goal in mind.
    brownian wrote: »
    Looks like a sensible run, in the face of Sunday week and its challenges, rather than a fantastic race in its own right. I imagine there's a bit of a feeling of "I could have done a lot better"...but Mallow wasn't your target race, and you can't race every week. Very much, IMHO, the right decision to take it fairly easy, rather than go all out and risk injury or burnout. I considered heading down to Mallow myself, but for exactly that reason (and lacking your self control), I stayed put.

If you think your pace was too fast for 26.2,then take the first couple of miles in Conn quite a bit slower - there's lots of them, so you have time to catch up on yourself.

Well done. Taper logically and try not to twist an ankle, catch cold or do anything you'll regret in the next ten days.:)
    Well done on your race missus! Connemara will be a blast for you!

I'm glad you can all finally admit that I am an extremely intelligent clever clogs and that despite your incessant slagging of the help, the home schooling worked a treat!

claralara wrote: »
    I'm glad you can all finally admit that I am an extremely intelligent clever clogs and that depsite your incessant slagging of the help, the home schooling worked a treat!

Not so much!;)

Week 13/14
    Monday Rest
    Tuesday 3 miles
    Wednesday 5 miles
    Thursday 3 miles
    Friday 2 miles
    Saturday Rest
    Sunday 8/10 miles slooooowwww

I actually can't remember if that LSR is on Saturday or Sunday as that was discussed after my third glass of water on Sunday evening and I was a very tired chica after a long day....

The distances of those runs is annoying me just looking at them. What bloody use is 3 miles going to be when I'm about to enter the depths of despair of an unknown 5.37 miles?!?! Not that I've been counting..

• Advertisement

Not so much!;)

Dunno what you're talking about!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Great race report, well done on the run. You'll be well able for the 26.2M in Conn and you have a good head on your shoulders to change the pace if it's not feeling right.

Just avoid all the late night pubs and nightclubs on the Saturday night, you should be good to go. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Just started reading your log now and it's a very enjoyable read, congrats on your 10 mile time and best of luck in Conn.

Woddle wrote: »
    Just started reading your log now and it's a very enjoyable read, congrats on your 10 mile time and best of luck in Conn.

Enjoyable, unpleasant, heart breaking, delightful, painful, rewarding, tearful, insane and slightly despicable at times…it’s been an interesting journey thus far! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Well done in Mallow. Great race strategy and it will leave you confident but still good and fresh for Conn. Disiplined running like that will stand you on the day, remember the first 13.1 are the easiest but make sure you dont burn yourself out on them. Keep something in the tank for the last half.

LSR is on Sunday at 10am at the Papal Cross. Tis 10 miles you're doing and me and Meno said we'ld be there.

And if that was water you were drinking in the pub, i'm a cat:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

LSR is on Sunday at 10am at the Papal Cross. Tis 10 miles you're doing and me and Meno said we'ld be there.

What pace are you planning on, myself and shels were trying to make plans for a 10 miler on Sunday also.

I'll be doing 13 but I'll stick a few on before or after.

Saturday might suit me a bit better though.....

Woddle wrote: »
    What pace are you planning on, myself and shels were trying to make plans for a 10 miler on Sunday also.

Pace is whatever suits the group. It can be anything from 8-10 min/mile depending on who shows up. We're an all inclusive bunch :cool:

• Advertisement

Might do worse than link to this from the Meet and Run thread on the main forum, or else just mention the plan (it's not my plan, or I'd do it myself). Might try and make it in to the Park myself this weekend, just to put faces on "names", so I know who to look out for down in Galway :)

Advertisement