Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metrolink (just Metrolink posts here -see post #1 )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭lods

Zebra3 wrote: »
    So how many have quit then, and where are they taking up employment? :confused:

They are flying away like.......rats

There are no bulldozers in the city:P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfAeMtcURg0

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Jack Noble

lods wrote: »
    Stop replying so or have you become bored of politics.ie

Metro North is dead , it'll never be built. The only project that might see the light of Day is Luas BXD. The spoofers in the RPA even realise this and are leaving the RPA in their droves . 2030 is just all the projects they didn't do in T21.

I can't help but notice that once again you fail to deal with the facts when it is pointed out to you that you are posting your igonorance/barefaced lies re Metro North.

All you do is throw back opinions that bare little relation to reality or fact.

And it really is beyond irony at this stage that you - of all people - should refer to anyone as 'spoofers'.

You really would feel much more at home on the Junkman's hilarious No to Metro North page in Facebook.

I have no intention of stopping replying to you - au contraire, I will counter every lie, spoof and piece of spin you post here. As, I'm sure, will others.

Below you will find the link to a map that even a cursory glance at shows you that Metro North:

(a) is not simply an airport/Swords link;

(b) does not meander all over the place;

(c) links and integrates with existing rail lines, even without Dart Underground.

At least try to understand it:rolleyes:

http://www.rpa.ie/Maps/Metro%20North/February%202011/Metro%20North%20Map%200211.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭chooochooo

Nearly a straight line :rolleyes: the only project that at the moment could go ahead is Metro North. The other projects are alternatives put forward by various groups . None of the alternatives are perfect , but at the moment the only proposal on the table is Metro North . If Metro Norths main objectives are to provide a high speed service from Swords/airport to the city centre then it fails . It's no quicker than the present buses running through the port tunnel .

That's where you said it was an airport link.
    I suppose that's the problem when you lie, you tend to forget what exactly you wrote.
    You've lost the argument lods, you're just making a fool of yourself at this juncture.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The spoofers in the RPA even realise this and are leaving the RPA in their droves.

So, I'll ask again...how many people have quit the RPA?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Flying rats?:confused: Interesting simile.

• Advertisement

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Flying rats?:confused: Interesting simile.

Watch the video:D

chooochooo wrote: »
    I suppose that's the problem when you lie, you tend to forget what exactly you wrote.
    You've lost the argument lods, you're just making a fool of yourself at this juncture.

It doesn't say anywhere there that it's an airport link. Can you not read . Trolling :eek:

When you glance at LODS demented gibbering you have to admit he makes a great case for MN.
    If his are the arguments against it then it must truly be something wonderful.

:D:D:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Mind you if there is anything that brings obnoxious and demented n00bs onto boards it errs on the pro MN side overall from my experience :)

When you glance at LODS demented gibbering you have to admit he makes a great case for MN.
    If his are the arguments against it then it must truly be something wonderful.

:D:D:D:D

Must be hitting a nerve if your only 4 posts ever are slagging me off. ;)

Theres loads of other topics you & Jack can post on.

I see theres no enabling works starting next month .

• Advertisement

Nearly a straight line :rolleyes: the only project that at the moment could go ahead is Metro North. The other projects are alternatives put forward by various groups . None of the alternatives are perfect , but at the moment the only proposal on the table is Metro North . If Metro Norths main objectives are to provide a high speed service from Swords/airport to the city centre then it fails . It's no quicker than the present buses running through the port tunnel .

Where did you get the idea that MN's main objective is to provide an airport link?
    Was that something you made up logs?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Where did you get the idea that MN's main objective is to provide an airport link?
    Was that something you made up logs?
    In fairness, you failed to put the "If" in red before that quote. That looks like you're trying to quote out of context.

In fairness, you failed to put the "If" in red before that quote. That looks like you're trying to quote out of context.

He also leaves out the Swords bit, even though its right there in front of him . If the RPA say that 20% of traffic is from the airport that's a high percentage griselinia bushof the traffic . The airport stop is always used by the pro Metro North lobby as a main objective . It's obviously not a airport link such as the Gatwick/stansted express . I would think most people still use taxis as the most appropriate way of travelling to/from the Airport .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I would think most people still use taxis as the most appropriate way of travelling to/from the Airport .
    That's not the most appropriate way. It's a way but not the only way. Dublin airport doesn't just serve Dublin, people from all over the whole island fly out of Dublin airport. Many drive and park there, but for those with no car or those who don't want to pay expensive airport parking, there should be a solid alternative.

Why is it that when Irish people go abroad they almost expect a train outside the airport, but don't expect the same thing of our own country. Really weird. MN would in any case be just a part of a network. Single lines achieve little (that MN alone would achieve so much is incredible) on their own. But a network has to start with a single line. The green line will someday be converted to Metro (I know people here believe that will never happen but we will someday get beyond gombeenism and begin to value our capital city an bit more) and it will run continuously from the far south of the city to the far north, right through the centre.

MN is such a no brainer, especially as it appears ready to go now apart from the elusive funding.

Nonsense.
    He's making an assumption, it's not a conjecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

murphaph wrote: »
    Why is it that when Irish people go abroad they almost expect a train outside the airport, but don't expect the same thing of our own country.
    So true.

It works both ways too; I've helped countless tourists find the right bus into town after them asking me where the train is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

murphaph wrote: »
    That's not the most appropriate way. It's a way but not the only way. Dublin airport doesn't just serve Dublin, people from all over the whole island fly out of Dublin airport. Many drive and park there, but for those with no car or those who don't want to pay expensive airport parking, there should be a solid alternative.

Why is it that when Irish people go abroad they almost expect a train outside the airport, but don't expect the same thing of our own country. Really weird. MN would in any case be just a part of a network. Single lines achieve little (that MN alone would achieve so much is incredible) on their own. But a network has to start with a single line. The green line will someday be converted to Metro (I know people here believe that will never happen but we will someday get beyond gombeenism and begin to value our capital city an bit more) and it will run continuously from the far south of the city to the far north, right through the centre.

MN is such a no brainer, especially as it appears ready to go now apart from the elusive funding.

+1. I think its more likely to happen now than it was 6 months ago. We have a sober govt for one thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

We've been getting a few reported posts from this thread. One of the mods will review the last few pages and take action if necessary.

In the meantime, please note that personal abuse and name-calling will not be looked upon favorably when the review takes place.

I'd ask everyone to report instances of soap-boxing and charter-flouting to expedite the review process.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Okay.

@ Chooochooo: You have actually misquoted lods here. Do you see the word "if" in the part of his post that you've quoted? That's the key word in that sentence. Lods did not explicitly state that MN is an airport link in that particular post; rather, he wrote a suppositional sentence pointing out that IF this were the case, then X would happen.

Now, you might say that he is using oily, slippery language here, and you *might* be right. But on the basis of his post that you quoted, you CANNOT say that he has lied. To do so is not only technically wrong in this case, it also the wrong way to engage with someone on this forum.

By all means, ask him to clarify what he means, and then pull him up on it if he's demonstrably wrong. But do NOT call someone a liar on this forum unless the lie is incontestably there in black-and-white for all to see.

I'm appealing to all of you: tone down the personal attacks in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

The biggest problem on this thread are the very obvious vested interests.

And they are very obvious.

Thats why I don't post much on it anymore. I have more sense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Business body opposes plan for Metro as threat to trade
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0328/1224293222013.html

monument wrote: »
    Business body opposes plan for Metro as threat to trade
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0328/1224293222013.html
    DUBLIN business organisation has decided to withdraw its support from the Metro North rail project, despite having the Railway Procurement Agency (RPA) as a member.

The Dublin City Business Association said it can no longer support the project because of the damage it believed the construction phase would do to city businesses.

Outgoing association chairman David McCormick said the association had a long-standing policy of promoting public transport projects in the city and had originally supported Metro North, but it was no longer the right project for Dublin.

“In the good times we saw the merit of the Metro, but we have become more and more convinced that the effect on the host community will be devastating. This project will destroy the city.”

The economic climate had changed utterly since the project was mooted, he said.

While it would have been possible during the boom for businesses to survive the expected level of disruption, the city could no longer support a five-year construction project.

“There comes a stage where you have to weigh the amount of pain against the gain. We have to be mindful of the changed economy. Jobs will be lost if this goes ahead and, once they are gone, it will be very difficult to get them back.”

There were more practical and cost-effective alternatives to the Metro, including the extension of existing rail lines to Dublin airport, and these needed to be given proper consideration.

The Metro, which has had planning permission since October, has yet to be sanctioned by the new Government yet was already causing problems, Mr McCormick said.

Business people were afraid to invest in their premises and buildings were being left vacant, particularly in the Westmoreland Street area, because of the fear shoppers and tourists would abandon the city when construction was under way.

“There has been an increasing groundswell among members and the consensus has been reached that Metro would be the straw that breaks the camel’s back,” he said.

The RPA, the State agency with responsibility for the Metro, is a member of the association and had been made aware of the change in position, Mr McCormick said.

Agency spokesman Tom Manning said he objected at the association agm last week to the change in position being made without discussion among members. However, he said the association’s support for the Metro had always been “conditional at best”.

The agency would continue to work with the association and individual members, he said.

Lorcan O’Connor, of O’Carroll’s Irish gift shops, which led the “no to Metro North campaign” was elected chairman of the association at the meeting.

He said he intends to ensure that businesses are educated in relation to the project. The Government needs to make a decision on Metro as soon as possible to end the stagnation of investment in the city, he said.

A spokesman for Minister for Transport Leo Varadkar said he was still familiarising himself with his brief and a decision on Metro had yet to be made.

The Dublin Chamber of Commerce said it remains in favour of Metro North.

The government need to make a decision one way or the other. I don't accept "Minister for Transport Leo Varadkar is still familiarising himself with his brief and a decision on Metro had yet to be made." its too important a decision to keep putting off.

The government need to make a decision one way or the other. I don't accept "Minister for Transport Leo Varadkar is still familiarising himself with his brief and a decision on Metro had yet to be made." its too important a decision to keep putting off.

If Lorcan O'Connor is against MN then the project is safe :D:D

The Dublin city businss association is a nonsense group and has as much influence as a gang of Leprecauns.

The Dublin Chamber of Commerce is the real business association in Dublin.

If Lorcan O'Connor is against MN then the project is safe :D:D

The Dublin city businss association is a nonsense group and has as much influence as a gang of Leprecauns.

The Dublin Chamber of Commerce is the real business association in Dublin.
    The RPA are members so thats makes a nonsence of the DCBA being nonence group. The Chamber don't represent business in the city centre. they even List Intel & HP as members:rolleyes:

http://www.transport21.ie/Projects/upload/File/Metro_North_Map_0211.pdf

Hey logs. How did you come to the conclusion that metro north 'MEANDERS" all over the place?
    It's virtually a straight line.
    Have you ever looked at the RPA or T21 site?
    Do you have eyesight problems?

See post #639. this has already een answered . For your information, its either a staight line or its not. The insults are tiresome. If you have real issues to debate , please post them . :rolleyes:

Must be hitting a nerve if your only 4 posts ever are slagging me off. ;)

Theres loads of other topics you & Jack can post on.

I see theres no enabling works starting next month .

Where did you see that logs?

Do you have a link for that infornation?

Is it something you made up logs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Mod!

chooochooo banned for two weeks for baiting/trolling (as per charter). I had previous warned/infracted him for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Jack Noble

See post #639. this has already een answered . For your information, its either a staight line or its not. The insults are tiresome. If you have real issues to debate , please post them . :rolleyes:

Lods, again I believe you are attempting to be a tad disingenuous.

Metro North is a relatively straight line with two significant curves - from the airport to Dardistown and on to Ballymun, and from Drumcondra to the Mater.

But it certainly doesn't "meander" all over the place as you are suggesting. That would imply a winding, random, aimless course and MN is none of those.

It is designed to serve the largest population areas and major trip generators - it wouldn't do that if it was a dead straight line from the airport as it would bypass Northwood, Ballymun and DCU for starters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Folks I'm getting tired of all this talk about straight lines, nothing is a straight line in this country be it a Road or a rail link. We don't live in the US where everything is built on a gridline basis. It's starting to appear like soap-boxing to me at this stage so can we please desist.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement