Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transition year 2010/2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Lucyxxx wrote: »
    Did you get the confirmation email? I didn't yet and they have to be in by Wednesday? :/

don't think so. whichever way my school has managed it, my ty coordinator is getting the emails and i don't know if he's got a confirmation email yet as i'm sick and i missed school the last two days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Jackobyte wrote: »
    I've DATs tomorrow. (Differential Aptitude Tests). I've no idea what to expect at all. :/
    We did those last year! And apparently they told me that my spacial awarenes is fairly useless and I have close to no mechanical reasoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭WanderingSoul

I've DATs tomorrow. (Differential Aptitude Tests). I've no idea what to expect at all. :/

I did them last year too, around Easter. Still haven't gotten the results and as far as I know I won't get them for a couple of months yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Ally7 wrote: »
    Are they anything like the Drumcondra Aptitude Tests, do you know? They're the ones we did in school.
    I've no clue.
    We did those last year! And apparently they told me that my spacial awarenes is fairly useless and I have close to no mechanical reasoning.
    I thought they were my best 2 sections. :P
    I did them last year too, around Easter. Still haven't gotten the results and as far as I know I won't get them for a couple of months yet.
    I don't know when we are due to get our results.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

don't think so. whichever way my school has managed it, my ty coordinator is getting the emails and i don't know if he's got a confirmation email yet as i'm sick and i missed school the last two days.

update: apparently there's been a delay with the emails as rcsi wasn't open during the snow days so we'll get them some point soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Lucyxxx

Sorry haven't replied, our internet has been on and off for ages now :/
    Anyway, yeh I got mine and sent it off but the date said before the 10th of December and thta date was already passed :confused: But I sent it off anyway a while ago and haven't received anything back so hopefully they'll send more details.
    Merry Christmas everyone btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

stresssss, only have one week of work experience sorted - and the week I don't is swiftly approaching 10th-14th of January

any suggestions - Dublin area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

Kevin! wrote: »
    stresssss, only have one week of work experience sorted - and the week I don't is swiftly approaching 10th-14th of January

any suggestions - Dublin area?

Are you interested in any particular area of employment?

Ally7 wrote: »
    Are you interested in any particular area of employment?

anything at this stage, but computing would be up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭David086

Kevin! wrote: »
    anything at this stage, but computing would be up there.

Your old primary school then?

• Advertisement

David086 wrote: »
    Your old primary school then?

Managed to get into PC world, thanks to the boards.ie rep :)

Anyone do anything interesting lately?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

I thought you'd never ask :P

At the moment I'm working on:
    1. School drama, playing the part of Harry in Mamma Mia. Most boring character ever in the worst musical with the worst soundtrack ever. So why the hell am I so happy?
    2. Mini-company. We could make quite a bit of money with this, actually.
    3. Debating & Public Speaking. Won last two debates unanimously. Debate that decides if we qualify for national stages on Thursday. First public speaking round on Wednesday. pretty damn busy.
    4. School bank. Taking lodgements, doing business plan and stuff.
    5. various other stuff I'm forgetting right now.

Oh, and I showed up at a fundraising irish college céilí that a friend of mine was doing so that she could go to Calcutta with the HOPE Foundation this year. Which reminds me,

6. I'm signing up to go to Belarus with the Belorussian Orphanage Project this summer.

TRANSITION YEAR: NOT EASY.

Well, this week I'm going to DCU to do a TY web design/programming course. I'm also doing my January exams at night because I'm missing them.

Then from the 31st January I'm going on work experience for 4 weeks.
    Colm! wrote: »
    I thought you'd never ask :P

At the moment I'm working on:
    1. School drama, playing the part of Harry in Mamma Mia. Most boring character ever in the worst musical with the worst soundtrack ever. So why the hell am I so happy?
    2. Mini-company. We could make quite a bit of money with this, actually.
    3. Debating & Public Speaking. Won last two debates unanimously. Debate that decides if we qualify for national stages on Thursday. First public speaking round on Wednesday. pretty damn busy.
    4. School bank. Taking lodgements, doing business plan and stuff.
    5. various other stuff I'm forgetting right now.

Oh, and I showed up at a fundraising irish college céilí that a friend of mine was doing so that she could go to Calcutta with the HOPE Foundation this year. Which reminds me,

6. I'm signing up to go to Belarus with the Belorussian Orphanage Project this summer.

TRANSITION YEAR: NOT EASY.

You're up to a lot at the moment. I have to agree with the bold bit though, I've done so much this year.

How long will you be in Belarus? I'd say that would be hard. :/

How long will you be in Belarus? I'd say that would be hard. :/

I don't know. All I have so far is an application form :| I'm only going to sign up once I find out the dates and ensure that they don't clash with Irish College :P

I don't know. All I have so far is an application form :| I'm only going to sign up once I find out the dates and ensure that they don't clash with Irish College :P

Good idea. :) Well, good luck if you go.

Good luck in the whole debating Colm. :)

We have to do some debate to do with an EU Directive about maternity/paternity leave. We have to be the Czech Republic although they didn't really make it too clear as to what exactly we're supposed to be debating.

We're kind of acting out "The Last Supper" painting as art appreciation. Not too sure how it's going to pan out yet though. S'pose we'll just have to wait until art class tomorrow to see. I can see it being rather strange by the time we get dialogue and music together.

In English we've been working on putting this poem( http://people.umass.edu/support/oags/what%20do%20you%20see%20nurse.pdf ) into a drama. We're getting there slowly but steadily since we overcame the whole issue of 4 people from my class crawling around in onesies..

Anyone else done the songschool workshop? It was amazing. I don't think I'll every be able to meet a person called Noreen without bursting into a fit of laughing. I love all 3 songs that the different groups recorded: "Jaysus Girls Hide Me" , "Noreen" and " Moving On"

2 weeks Work Experience are coming up before mid-term too.

TY = <3<3:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭baileyjackson

Go with BOP, you wont regret it.

Good luck in the whole debating Colm. :)

We have to do some debate to do with an EU Directive about maternity/paternity leave. We have to be the Czech Republic although they didn't really make it too clear as to what exactly we're supposed to be debating.
    weirdest. debate. ever. I literally have no idea how that would work.
    *goes to Google*

Hmm, wait. Maybe what you have to do is propose that the Czech Republic's system of paternity leave is a good idea? Like, state the arguments for the 3 year standard that they have? It's weird.

Go with BOP, you wont regret it.

This is what EVERYONE says, and that makes up a lot of the reason I want to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭baileyjackson

*goes to Google*

Hmm, wait. Maybe what you have to do is propose that the Czech Republic's system of paternity leave is a good idea? Like, state the arguments for the 3 year standard that they have? It's weird.

Well, best of luck at the interviews! Do your research and u will be fine!

• Advertisement

*goes to Google*

I keep thinking that we're missing something really obvious about what we're supposed to be debating. You know it's bad when your English teacher can't even figure out wha it is that we're supposed to be debating. We didn't even want to do the debate in the first place. This is our "prize" for winning a trip to Brussels that we had to give to 2nd years because we were to old to go on it.

I keep thinking that we're missing something really obvious about what we're supposed to be debating. You know it's bad when your English teacher can't even figure out wha it is that we're supposed to be debating. We didn't even want to do the debate in the first place. This is our "prize" for winning a trip to Brussels that we had to give to 2nd years because we were to old to go on it.

Seriously? I actually know people who won that trip to Brussels another year. Having to give away what you've won must have been awful. :|
    I take it you're fairly good at debating then? Are ye in the Concern competition?

Seriously? I actually know people who won that trip to Brussels another year. Having to give away what you've won must have been awful. :|
    I take it you're fairly good at debating then? Are ye in the Concern competition?
    Us!? Good at debating?! We've never debated outside our classroom before! :oI don't have a clue how we ended up in it in the first place!

I think we've made it to the national finals (final 32) but I'm not sure :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mad_hatter_xx

A girl I know set up a website in her school for mini company called transitionyearhelp.com
    it basically gives you loads of stuff you need to know about ty, and has a list of work experience and community care placements that will take you :) and it tells you about stuff like gaisce nal :P so if your stuck for anything in ty go to that website!! it halped me coz i left everything last minute but got placements from it in the end :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Got 99 percentile in both of those sections. :P
    Did them Dec 14th (?), got them back 8th Feb.

If I ever need someone who has amazing spacial awareness or mechanical reasoning, I know who to come to.

I'm jealous. :eek: Maybe my school has them and they just won't give them back? I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 taylormoon

GO WITH BOP!!! amazing...id do ANYTHING to be going back this year, but unfortunatley can't cause of the leaving :(

• Advertisement

That debate thing that we did was the Model Eu Commission or something like that. We didn't win :( (not that there was ever any hope of us winning)

Did anyone see the Late Late show 2 weeks ago (maybe it wasn't 2 weeks ago but it was the 18th of March) and the Student Enterprise Awards finalists that were on it. Someone from my class was actually on it!

We've been fairly busy lately actually and we're going to our YSI Speakout on Wednesday followed by the Tutenkhamun exhibit.

Advertisement