Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transition year 2010/2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

The highlight of our year will hopefully be our trip to Paris. We're paying €525 for a 3 night holiday though, so it better be good.

For out mini company we're selling like, gifts personalised with photographs.. Hardly original but we're not out to make an impression in that area.

Finally managed to get work experience, I'm stuck in accountancy. Through positive thinking I have convinced myself that this is a good thing, as back around 2nd year I wanted to be an accountant, so now I'll be able to see first hand whether it's a viable option.. Much more interested in Science though.

As for TY itself, it's great crack nowadays with the exception of one or two classes! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭WanderingSoul

I have my work experience sorted. \o/ I have to do an extra week during my midterm though which sucks. I'm 4 weeks in February including the week of midterm and the 3 weeks before that.

I have a biology trip tomorrow, which should be good. Link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bc8

shpam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Anyone do anything interesting lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Did my first week of the St. Munchin's Initiative. We go to a school in an underprivileged area and help them with reading and maths in an attempt to sell education to them. Our teacher said that most of the students would never have seen someone our age still going to school and we have to try show them that it isn't a bad thing.

• Advertisement

I qualified for the Young Scientist, and I also managed to get picked for a journalism project. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

i haven't been in school for an entire month now. two weeks of community care or 'social placement' as some schools call it. then mid-term. then unscheduled work experience to study nanotechnology.

best thing ever happen on thursday though. while i was on work experience, four kids in my year were called out by our ty coordinator and he said that they were the guys who put down medicine as a potential career interest. i was also on the list but i wasn't there. then he said the school had been allocated one place for medical work experience (not going to go into specifics because i'm SECURITY PARANOID) and he asked who'd be interested. only one person but up his hand. i've been rivals with the kid since last year when he started to try and convince everyone he was smart and tried to pick on kids smaller than him and i basically demolished every argument he started and when he tried to correct my friends' grammar errors on facebook, i corrected his. funny stuff.

so then my ty coordinator asks the four, 'do you think scuid mhór would be interested?'

and GET THIS. my rival goes, 'no i don't think he has interest in medicine AT ALL.'

so luckily for me, my loyal friend chris boldly interjected and said i had a massive interest in it so it came down to drawing our names out of a hat. i wasn't there so my rival got to draw but my friend chris was there as my representative. my rival picked out my name and justice was served accordingly.

it's sunday and i'm still relishing in his disappointment. does that make me a bad person? probably but i don't care, kid tried to stab me in the back.

i haven't been in school for an entire month now. two weeks of community care or 'social placement' as some schools call it. then mid-term. then unscheduled work experience to study nanotechnology.

best thing ever happen on thursday though. while i was on work experience, four kids in my year were called out by our ty coordinator and he said that they were the guys who put down medicine as a potential career interest. i was also on the list but i wasn't there. then he said the school had been allocated one place for medical work experience (not going to go into specifics because i'm SECURITY PARANOID) and he asked who'd be interested. only one person but up his hand. i've been rivals with the kid since last year when he started to try and convince everyone he was smart and tried to pick on kids smaller than him and i basically demolished every argument he started and when he tried to correct my friends' grammar errors on facebook, i corrected his. funny stuff.

so then my ty coordinator asks the four, 'do you think scuid mhór would be interested?'

and GET THIS. my rival goes, 'no i don't think he has interest in medicine AT ALL.'

so luckily for me, my loyal friend chris boldly interjected and said i had a massive interest in it so it came down to drawing our names out of a hat. i wasn't there so my rival got to draw but my friend chris was there as my representative. my rival picked out my name and justice was served accordingly.

it's sunday and i'm still relishing in his disappointment. does that make me a bad person? probably but i don't care, kid tried to stab me in the back.

Bit more work might be needed on capitals. :P

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Bit more work might be needed on capitals. :P

i like it when capitals are used for EMPHASIS.

speaking of changing the laws of the vernacular, i heard the spanish government actually changed a couple of spellings of words, took off accents from some and did other crazy things a few days ago. if they can do it, maybe i can start a petition to get people to agree that capitals shouldn't be compulsory.

i like it when capitals are used for EMPHASIS.

speaking of changing the laws of the vernacular, i heard the spanish government actually changed a couple of spellings of words, took off accents from some and did other crazy things a few days ago. if they can do it, maybe i can start a petition to get people to agree that capitals shouldn't be compulsory.
    Petitions only work if people are willing to sign them. You would then have to get, probably, the Oxford English Dictionary to accept the petition and since the change would affect about 2 billion people world-wide, the petition would have to have 500 million signatures or so to show it is what the people want.

Good luck with that! :D

• Advertisement

Petitions only work if people are willing to sign them. You would then have to get, probably, the Oxford English Dictionary to accept the petition and since the change would affect about 2 billion people world-wide, the petition would have to have 500 million signatures or so to show it is what the people want.

Good luck with that! :D

i think i have a chance at making it happen :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Whoever said that TY was a doss year?! One minute we've got no homework and the next we've got 4 projects due within the next 2 weeks!

We're doing a driving day in 2 weeks! A bit of theory, a mock theory test and then off to the army barracks to drive around the square. It will either go very badly or very well.

Whoever said that TY was a doss year?! One minute we've got no homework and the next we've got 4 projects due within the next 2 weeks!

We're doing a driving day in 2 weeks! A bit of theory, a mock theory test and then off to the army barracks to drive around the square. It will either go very badly or very well.
    I've a project and presentation due for Wednesday. Who plans projects the day afer the new COD launch? :P

talking about projects, found out a few hours ago that i didn't make young scientist. didn't realise i'd feel so disappointed, but i guessing part of it is guilt for letting my partner down.

talking about projects, found out a few hours ago that i didn't make young scientist. didn't realise i'd feel so disappointed, but i guessing part of it is guilt for letting my partner down.

We did make it, but I don't feel comfortable taking all the praise because the only thing I've contributed to my group so far is a decent standard of English. :(

My school is so shít for this sort of thing. The Young Scientist wasn't mentioned to us at all. I didn't realise the deadline had passed. I had presumed it'd be later in the year. F8ck sake!

My school is so shít for this sort of thing. The Young Scientist wasn't mentioned to us at all. I didn't realise the deadline had passed. I had presumed it'd be later in the year. F8ck sake!

Ours was like that but one of the newer science teachers in school is really into the Young Scientist and makes sure everyone knows the opportunity is there. She's great, she's very helpful. We wouldn't be getting this done without her.

If you all make it up to have a look around anyway, keep an eye out for the "Pure Manure" stall, that'll be me. :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Work Experience this week at a primary school..
    I love it but dont like it at the same time.. Children are actually adorable <333 Im with 3/4th class and yesterday and tomorrow 1st class.
    The 1st class are so sweet, like they just do what theyre told no questions asked.. The 3rd/4th class do what theyre told but after a bazillion questions and then they talk like mad :P
    But theyre all so innocent.. Its parent teacher meetings week so Im on my own for a few hours with the class while they do their set work, but yano kids dont shupp so you have to constantly tell them to stop..
    A few lil girls from the 3/4th class came up to me after saying they were sorry if I was cross at them for talking and that I was really nice how wrong it was of them to do that <333 Lil sweeties.. And the 1st class made me cards of their own accord to say sorry for making me shout.
    Gawd I love them all.. But iunno would I like to act teach them tho, coz they see me as a bud atm and just chat away.. I dunno would I like them to see me as a teacher because we wouldnt have the same "bond" :P

I'm going to the Mid West Regional Hospital tomorrow as part of a lab day there where the show TY's what they do and talk to them about careers down that route. Only 10 in the year are allowed go.

Finished the St. Munchin's Initiative this week. It wasn't as beneficial to the students as I thought it would be but that might have just been my group rather than the project as a whole.

Have work experience fully organised.

Had a ski-tour meeting this week. I'm getting seriously excited now. It looks unreal.

School show is on next week and I've been asked to video and edit it to a saleable standard. Cool and profitable! :P

It's been mentioned that I might do the editing for the Ski-Tour DVD. TY seems to be picking up again after a bit of a dull period.

Happys! :D

My year long project is finally coming together, thankfully. It was a cause for quite a bit of worry for a while.

I actually enjoy my modules this term. I have salsa, crime studies and life skills. Salsa is actually very fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

anybody doing a project for eco-unesco here?! :)

Glee_GG wrote: »
    anybody doing a project for eco-unesco here?! :)

I am. o/

I presume you are? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Lucyxxx

Haven't been on here in a while but I'm doing TY too.
    Same as bluejaymraz, we got like no homework for a while then we had 5 projects to do and it was so stressful :/
    Doing the RCSI mini med programme in January, is anyone else?
    Scuid Mhór, you can enter into the SciFest. That's what we're doing instead of the Young Scientist because not everyone gets picked for YS and it doesn't have to be started until January I think.
    Had our trip and our first week of work experience already. Everything is flying by! :(

Lucyxxx wrote: »
    Same as bluejaymraz, we got like no homework for a while then we had 5 projects to do and it was so stressful :/
    Doing the RCSI mini med programme in January, is anyone else?
    Scuid Mhór, you can enter into the SciFest. That's what we're doing instead of the Young Scientist because not everyone gets picked for YS and it doesn't have to be started until January I think.
    Had our trip and our first week of work experience already. Everything is flying by! :(

We've got literally no homework but it's really evened out by the amount of projects we have to do and when you take on an extra (optional) workload like YS or Student Enterprise, it makes it even harder to keep on track of things. Can't say I'm displeased; everything's easy enough - just time consuming.

Yup, heading off to RCSI - school allocated me a place. Still haven't got the email I was meant to get at the end of November but I assume that's because of the snow and whatnot.

Yeah, BT sent us a letter and suggested SciFest and another competition but I forgot the name of it - if my partner's still interested, we'll probably go for it.

You should probably ring them, I got my email quite a while ago and the closing date for the payment is tomorrow. Might see ya there ;)
    Enterprise is really horrible. The teacher hates our class and doesn't do anything. We have to have a report done in like January and we can't find anyone to make our product :(

Lucyxxx wrote: »
    You should probably ring them, I got my email quite a while ago and the closing date for the payment is tomorrow. Might see ya there ;)

update: my transition year coordinator rang me and apparently the email was sent to him but i managed to pay before the closing date hit so all's good.

Well, we've missed two trips due to the snow and haven't been in for two weeks.

I actually miss school..

update: my transition year coordinator rang me and apparently the email was sent to him but i managed to pay before the closing date hit so all's good.

Did you get the confirmation email? I didn't yet and they have to be in by Wednesday? :/
    Suppose it was good to be back at school although it was the most boring and tiring day possible :rolleyes: Was actually nearly falling asleep in almost every class after my late nights of the week :p
    Apparantely we finish on Friday! :eek:

I've DATs tomorrow. (Differential Aptitude Tests). I've no idea what to expect at all. :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

I've DATs tomorrow. (Differential Aptitude Tests). I've no idea what to expect at all. :/

Are they anything like the Drumcondra Aptitude Tests, do you know? They're the ones we did in school.

Advertisement