Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Also, all the cool kids wear compression socks. :pac:
    digger2d2 wrote: »
    Hmmm....Maybe at Halloween.......:eek:
    You're just saying that because they look better on me than they do on you :pac::D

+1.....They don't do them in fluorescent anyway ;)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

+1.....They don't do them in fluorescent anyway ;)

O RLY? :cool:

They won't work with my eye colour......;)

They won't work with my eye colour......;)

Oh but they will ;)

A bet needs to be arranged involving a pair of them... loser has to run their next race in bright pink compression socks :pac:

Oh but they will ;)

A bet needs to be arranged involving a pair of them... loser has to run their next race in bright pink compression socks :pac:

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I hope that race isn't held on a sunny day or the glare from the sun and the socks will dazzle half the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

chinguetti wrote: »
    I hope that race isn't held on a sunny day or the glare from the sun and the socks will dazzle half the field.

Or maybe that's his tactic to win the marathon this year! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I thought that was a new nickname for me!

They are pretty fashion forward... I think they'll look good on one of this lot after a few egotistical bets have been laid down!

The following is not taper madness, it's unfortunate and pi$$y reality!!

After spending Thursday in bed after that 20miles, I was up all night coughing and spluttering with a horrendous headache and sinus pain. I got as far as our apartment in Edinburgh, dosed the head off myself on everything I could get over the counter and ended up sleeping for most of the day. Didn't feel a whole lot better on Saturday but I wasn't losing another day and there was too much rugby fun to be had....suffice to say I still have a sore head and no voice today:(. Anyway, I feel a little better now though still a bit wheezy. I'm hoping an early night and a 10 hour sleep should fix me up.

In short, I haven't spent more than 15 minutes on my feet at any one time since my last run (apart from the post-match celebrations) and I'm not a happy bunny. Hopefully I'll be back on my feet tomorrow.

Not exactly sure how to pass the next 3 weeks. I'm thinking midweek runs of 3/4miles and a bit longer at the weekend. Hmmm..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Krusty had some good advice on the taper over on my log...could be useful for you too?

That's a really rough time to get a bug - both my kids have bugs for the last ten days, and are starting to think I don't like them any more, as I try to avoid picking it up off them. I'm on echinacea, beclazone puffers, ferrograd (iron) tablets, vitamin C (rubex) and Benecol, in an effort to keep the bugs at bay 8-).

Don't get too down on this - you've got a decent base and even if you lose a few days you'll not lose too much condition at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

claralara wrote: »

Not exactly sure how to pass the next 3 weeks. I'm thinking midweek runs of 3/4miles and a bit longer at the weekend. Hmmm..

They say maintain the same intensity and reduce the mileage. This week should be about 75% of peak mileage (say our biggest week was 40 miles- do 30 now), next week 50% and just do 3 or 4 short runs the week of the marathon.

Given that you have a 10 mile race this weekend don't worry that the mileage is a bit lower than it should be for the LSR (technically it should probably be about 14-15) because the added intensity of the race makes up for the lost mileage.

BTW While it's not an ideal time to get a bad cold, it's much better to get it now than last week (you'd have missed your last 20 miler) and certainly much better than getting it in a fortnight. It might also explain why you were a little off on thursday, so look on the bright side!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

The following is not taper madness, it's unfortunate and pi$$y reality!!

After spending Thursday in bed after that 20miles, I was up all night coughing and spluttering with a horrendous headache and sinus pain. I got as far as our apartment in Edinburgh, dosed the head off myself on everything I could get over the counter and ended up sleeping for most of the day. Didn't feel a whole lot better on Saturday but I wasn't losing another day and there was too much rugby fun to be had....suffice to say I still have a sore head and no voice today:(. Anyway, I feel a little better now though still a bit wheezy. I'm hoping an early night and a 10 hour sleep should fix me up.

In short, I haven't spent more than 15 minutes on my feet at any one time since my last run (apart from the post-match celebrations) and I'm not a happy bunny. Hopefully I'll be back on my feet tomorrow.

Agree with Menopause, you've the work done - taper is maintenance and recovery. The race will be your reward but you won't deserve that medal unless there's at least one snot bubble at the finish line!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Mind yourself Clara, plenty of vit C and fluids. It's crap getting a bug now, but you've put in the long miles, and if you have to miss a couple of short mid week runs, it won't hamper your goals. The miles have been done, now it's taper time (when the fun really begins :pac:).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

If you are to get a cold/flu/strange unknown illness then this week is probably the best one that you could get it. You didnt miss your last LSR and hard training week and you have plenty of time to shake it off before the race.

Hope you're feeling better today!:)

mrslow wrote: »
    Agree with Menopause, you've the work done - taper is maintenance and recovery. The race will be your reward but you won't deserve that medal unless there's at least one snot bubble at the finish line!;)

ONne snot bubble? Absolutely not! Do you not know me at all?! There'll be at least a bathful!
    Hope you're feeling better today!:)

I am indeed. Had a great 9 hour sleep last night. Voice is still a bit sexy but it hasn’t moved into the chest so I’m going to go for a run tonight. Y’all are right that although it’s never a good time to pick up something like this, this is certainly the best time in terms of damage control.

Just a warning in case anyone is looking, I have bought the city out of vitamins, minerals, fruit and vegetables, bottled water, freshly squeezed orange juice, additives, preservatives, rescue remedy, anti-depressants, valium, cotton wool, blister plasters, voltoral, deep heat patches… And if anyone’s looking for a physio appointment or psychiatric assessment anywhere within a 26.2 mile radius of me over the next 3 weeks good luck getting one – I’m pretty sure I’ve booked all those up too!!:D

Voice is still a bit sexy but it hasn’t moved into the chest

So your chest is unsexy?:P

So your chest is unsexy?:P

Let's just say a good sports bra has never been a concern in my long list of running related expenditure! :pac:

Monday 21st March
    - Rest / Recovery

Tuesday 22nd March
    - 4.6miles - Av Pace 9.12
    Done. That is all I have to say on the matter!

Plan Week 12/14
    Monday Rest
    Tuesday 4 miles
    Wednesday 6 miles EASY
    Thursday 4 miles
    Friday 2 miles
    Saturday Rest
    Sunday Mallow 10 Mile Race

Last week I had mild hopes of a good performance in Mallow this weekend. After last night there is not a hope in hell of a PB on Sunday - there is just no way I have 9 minute miles in my legs at the minute. Plus I have to remind myself that a 10 Mile PB is not the goal right now - plenty of time for that next month!

Sports massage tonight - I'm filled with both joy and dread!

I know we've all been scared of dogs but I think my fear that the bus was going to crash on the way home from work last night may have just thrown me into the realms of pure ludicrousness... Demons out!!

• Advertisement

Seriously - you might surprise yourself on Sunday. There's pacers for 90 minutes anyway so might be worth a try, you can always drop back if you're not feeling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Its a fairly easy course in Mallow, net downhill. Remember that races always make you run faster than you think you can go. Sub 90 should be no problem for you. See you on Sunday.

Its a fairly easy course in Mallow, net downhill. Remember that races always make you run faster than you think you can go. Sub 90 should be no problem for you. See you on Sunday.

I second that! Plus you have so much training done over the last few months, it will stand to you no end. :)

Let's just say a good sports bra has never been a concern in my long list of running related expenditure! :pac:

Moobs?:P

My moobs are bigger than yours?:P

I'm not sure how you should best deal with them. Maybe ask one of the better endowed around. Digger mentioned Marks & Sparks do a good measuring and fitting service?!

I'm not sure how you should best deal with them. Maybe ask one of the better endowed around. Digger mentioned Marks & Sparks do a good measuring and fitting service?!

Solid muscle I'll have you know, I can even make tassles dance with them;)

Seriously missus, stop giving him such golden opportunities to get a big head! :rolleyes:

jcsmum wrote: »
    Seriously missus, stop giving him such golden opportunities to get a big head! :rolleyes:

He was telling me last year he didn't suffer from chafed nipples cause his were so hairy, no hair on his chest apparently just a couple of thick clumps on the moobs.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Ah jaysus...I've just had lunch :eek:. There should be some warning alert with this log!!

• Advertisement

shazkea wrote: »
    Ah jaysus...I've just had lunch :eek:. There should be some warning alert with this log!!

Apparently they also weep something luminous when he's emotional :eek:

Advertisement