Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I just got offer council house from hell !

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Trophywife

Could you not just say "my tax"? "Tax dollars" makes it sound as if you're a D4 who thinks they live in Beverly Hills :pac:

.....people express themselves in different ways, i'm new to this but do people generally wander off the subject of the original thread post and turn to slagging other people off?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

While I agree that it is terrible to have to bring your children up in such surroundings, I agree with the other posters. Beggars can't be choosers.

While we don't know your circumstances, surely you or your partner could get a job, while the other looks after the kids (if childcare isn't worth your while).

I also, am sick of getting cut more and more in my wages, paying loads of tax (which effectively pays peoples rent and dole, while I get sweet fanny adam from it) and I would probably be better off on the dole, but I just wouldn't want that. Ok you can say there are no jobs blah blah, there is if you look hard enough, it took me months to get one, but I did.

Don't mean to be getting all negative, but think about it, people wait years to get a house, be happy you were offered one, especially if there is actually nothing wrong with the house. Report the neighbour, if you have evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

To answer the ops question, it depends. You can make a case about the possible risks and danger to your kids and that the officials could be held responsible for that. However it may be seen as simply snobbery unless there is some proof. But if you are able to justify your allegations then you will simply be offered somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Squirm

Trophywife wrote: »
    just cos your wife's an obese swine...;)

And I'm a working professional, who pays tax and contributes to this country in a positive manner so I'm more than entitled to have my say in how my tax dollars should be spent. And after this election I pray that they reduce social welfare because its a massive disincentive for people to get back to work. Reducing it is the only way forward.

That's not entirely true.

If you analyse the most efficient social welfare systems across Europe, you will find they do not generally operate by giving people too little to survive on in the hopes that they go find work faster.

Also, while it is quite the norm to stray from the original post, the original post in this instance was a valid question from a concerned mother. So you yourself deviated from the OP and in a rather offensive manner, in my opinion.

Also, it is not a simple matter- reducing the jobseekers allowance/benefit. It is not a figure they pluck out of thin air. It is decide upon following careful analysis of what is considered a basic, acceptable, standard of living and what is required to achieve that. It takes into consideration dietary requirements and food costs.

I was wondering, to those who seem to have an issue with 'dole' recipients? Would you yourselves avail of state maternity benefits, should the need arise? Or would you choose to use your own savings or go without, rather than expect "tax dollars" to finance your maternity leave?
    Just interested to know if it is just people seeking employment benefit that are being discriminated against here... or if it is anyone who avails of State welfare...

Social Housing should be a temporary benefit. Its should be stopped at a certain stage and this would encourage the occupants to get work quicker and find a place to live themselves and pay for it themselves.

Social welfare is seen by some as a long term source of income while in fact its designed to help people for a short period if they are unfortunate enough to loose their job, to enable them time to find a new one and get going again.

• Advertisement

This is true and it is a disgrace. However it is not the case for the majority. The majority of registered homeless people in Ireland- those who will be prioritised for housing where possible- are women with children, most of whom are fleeing violent households and have little to nothing to their name. Yes, it would be lovely for them to find work, find affordable childcare, enjoy nice salaries, pay tax, contribute positively to the economy... and until that happens they require State assistance. Something their tax credits contrivute towards before and after their stint on the dole.

Squirm wrote: »
    That's not entirely true.

If you analyse the most efficient social welfare systems across Europe, you will find they do not generally operate by giving people too little to survive on in the hopes that they go find work faster.

Also, while it is quite the norm to stray from the original post, the original post in this instance was a valid question from a concerned mother. So you yourself deviated from the OP and in a rather offensive manner, in my opinion.

Also, it is not a simple matter- reducing the jobseekers allowance/benefit. It is not a figure they pluck out of thin air. It is decide upon following careful analysis of what is considered a basic, acceptable, standard of living and what is required to achieve that. It takes into consideration dietary requirements and food costs.

I was wondering, to those who seem to have an issue with 'dole' recipients? Would you yourselves avail of state maternity benefits, should the need arise? Or would you choose to use your own savings or go without, rather than expect "tax dollars" to finance your maternity leave?
    Just interested to know if it is just people seeking employment benefit that are being discriminated against here... or if it is anyone who avails of State welfare...

All I know is that the current system is an absolute disaster. The country can't sustain the level of expenditure on social welfare. So if something isn't working it needs to be changed. What do you suggest then?

My point was that minimum wage has been reduced, private sector salaries have been reduced dramatically, so in turn shouldn't social welfare be reduced...

I work full time and have been married a couple of years. I'd love to start a family but I have to hold off because I can't afford to and I wouldn't want my family to have to struggle money wise. There's a baby boom at the moment and most of the people I know having children are on social welfare, and in turn tax payers have to pay this extra expense. The system encourages girls to leave school and get pregnant as they will be well looked after by the state. How can that be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

SUZY316 wrote: »
    Today we got a letter from the council saying we were offered a house.

1) If i refuse will my rent allowance be taking off me ?
    2)Will i get another offer as the is a few house empty at the minute ?
    3) Will i be taken of the list ?

Congrats on the offer, you must be happy.

In answer to your questions, I'm afraid I don't really know as the circumstances are quite particular to each applicant, and each housing scheme, so it’s very hard to comment in a way that might be useful to you. What applies in your case, might not in some other.

However, generally, Part IV housing (the current scheme I think) states that ‘Applicants who, without a satisfactory explanation, refuse three consecutive offers of a local authority dwelling, will have their application closed. In such circumstances the applicant may not re-apply for a period of one year from the date of third refusal’.

So it seems you have three goes at it. If you say no to the first, you’ll get another offer and your rent allowance status won’t be affected. But do call and ask first to be sure.

Furthermore, Waterford say they are ‘working towards zero tolerance on anti-social behaviour’. The Housing Department at Waterford County Council (Dungarvan (058) 20862 open 9 – 5 Mon/Fri) is there to help you (despite what the responses on here might have you think).

Call Waterford, tell them your concerns, without specifics, and see what they can do for you. This isn’t you versus them, nor does anyone deny you your right to housing. Speak to them and they will work it out with you. It’s in nobody’s interest that you be placed in a difficult or compromised situation. Don’t accept anything less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

What else would you expect in all fairness....people who expect to be given free houses at the expense of the hard working tax payers don't exactly have a lot of morals or ambition. Hence bringing your kids up in a place with people like druggies etc living next door would be the worse thing you could possibly do. Like another poster said try get any job you can and pay for your housing yourself and your kids might have some chance at turning out half decent people. I'm sick of this attitude of people not going off the social welfare for a minimum wage job (cos of loss of benefits)...if you have kids should you not be showing them that its important to have drive and work for a living and that a better life is possible rather than sitting around on your arse doing nothing all day. The country would be a much better place then.

Unbelievable!!!

Circumstances differ for everybody - absolutely everybody.
    Have you tried to get a mortgage recently? I'm guessing that the OP is young(ish) and has found herself having The OP is 33, and settled with her partner by her own admission but has applied for a Council House due to a combination of circumstances I presume. Presumably they are currently in Private rented accom which is a lot more expensive for both herself and us and is happier and sensible enough to look for a cheaper and possibly more comfortable option. You think that her getting a job is going to enable her to save €20,000+ for a deposit and then qualify for a Mortgage from one our oh so generous banks? Maybe she already has a job - doesn't automatically imply that you can afford a house.

All the bad kids come from Council houses by your reckoning.. I work in a prison and I can tell you categorically that that's not true. In fact, guess where the criminals at the top of the tree tend to live? David Drumm and Seanie Fitzpatrick, probably the biggest (but not convicted) criminals of our time lived in some fine houses. Does that make them decent people? How many 'decent' families are living on beans and bread and running to the V de P at the moment while they're struggling to pay for a house that they could never afford? Ambition is an excellent trait but so is living within your means!!

Your assumptions are laughable and send out a strong hint of snobbery - not the nicest of traits to be honest..

The difference between salary reductions and social welfare reductions is that in the latter you are asking people to survive on less than the agreed sum necessary to live healthily!

The system doesn't work. It is being manipulated and there are fraudulent claims being made daily I should think. But the honest recipients, genuinely in need and probably entitled to some help, having paid their credits, should not be made suffer or be ridiculed for this. It is the State's responsibilty to police the system and ensure that claimants are genuine and truthful in their applications. It is, in such case, the State's 'fault' if tax dollars are being flushed down the throats and veins of junkies and scumbags who are career 'jobseekers' and life-long welfare recipients.

This is a complex issue that cannot be underestimated and it does not simply come down to 'they shoul go find work'. There are cycles of poverty that are not easily broken.

I agree, incidently, that that people cannot expect social housing to be perfect or exactly to their liking, but I disagree that they should put up with any old sh*te just because they're poor! In almost every single council house there is a child or children who deserves better than that attitude.

• Advertisement

Unbelievable!!!

Circumstances differ for everybody - absolutely everybody.
    Have you tried to get a mortgage recently? I'm guessing that the OP is young(ish) and has found herself having to apply for a Council House due to a combination of circumstances. You think that her getting a job is going to enable her to save €20,000+ for a deposit and then as a single mother qualify for a Mortgage from one our oh so generous banks? Maybe she already has a job - doesn't automatically imply that you can afford a house.

All the bad kids come from Council houses by your reckoning.. I work in a prison and I can tell you categorically that that's not true. In fact, guess where the criminals at the top of the tree tend to live? David Drumm and Seanie Fitzpatrick, probably the biggest (but not convicted) criminals of our time lived in some fine houses. Does that make them decent people? How many 'decent' families are living on beans and bread and running to the V de P at the moment while they're struggling to pay for a house that they could never afford? Ambition is an excellent trait but so is living within your means!!

Your assumptions are laughable and send out a strong hint of snobbery - not the nicest of traits to be honest..

I got a mortgage five years ago. I'm twenty six now and put myself through college for 6 years to get what I have now. Its called hard work and have ambition in life. Age has nothing to do with it. I'd rather be getting a mortage and buying a house now than at the peak five years ago. I didn't go having kids when I knew I couldn't support them and then expect for the state to pay for them and house them. Good job there's more people like me, than there is people having kids when they can't support them cos the country would be in even more of a mess then!!

I'm not a snob. People lost jobs and its terrible...wasn't they're fault but it happened and they need to get through it. The real snobbery comes from people who are claiming social welfare and think they're too good to work in a minimum wage job. And there's a hell of a lot of that going on.

TJJP wrote: »
    Congrats on the offer, you must be happy.

In answer to your questions, I'm afraid I don't really know as the circumstances are quite particular to each applicant, and each housing scheme, so it’s very hard to comment in a way that might be useful to you. What applies in your case, might not in some other.

However, generally, Part IV housing (the current scheme I think) states that ‘Applicants who, without a satisfactory explanation, refuse three consecutive offers of a local authority dwelling, will have their application closed. In such circumstances the applicant may not re-apply for a period of one year from the date of third refusal’.

So it seems you have three goes at it. If you say no to the first, you’ll get another offer and your rent allowance status won’t be affected. But do call and ask first to be sure.

Furthermore, Waterford say they are ‘working towards zero tolerance on anti-social behaviour’. The Housing Department at Waterford County Council (Dungarvan (058) 20862 open 9 – 5 Mon/Fri) is there to help you (despite what the responses on here might have you think).

Call Waterford, tell them your concerns, without specifics, and see what they can do for you. This isn’t you versus them, nor does anyone deny you your right to housing. Speak to them and they will work it out with you. It’s in nobody’s interest that you be placed in a difficult or compromised situation. Don’t accept anything less.

Good to know. Thanks for that. Hopefully the OP finds this response amidst all the abuse and snobbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

but then again, if she used a bit of initiative maybee shed have her own house

Seriously? That is an incredibly ignorant thing to say. You have absolutely no idea of her circumstances and you're coming out with these foul assumptions. This snobbery seems to be an unfortunate trend on boards.
    What else would you expect in all fairness....people who expect to be given free houses at the expense of the hard working tax payers don't exactly have a lot of morals or ambition. Hence bringing your kids up in a place with people like druggies etc living next door would be the worse thing you could possibly do. Like another poster said try get any job you can and pay for your housing yourself and your kids might have some chance at turning out half decent people. I'm sick of this attitude of people not going off the social welfare for a minimum wage job (cos of loss of benefits)...if you have kids should you not be showing them that its important to have drive and work for a living and that a better life is possible rather than sitting around on your arse doing nothing all day. The country would be a much better place then.

There's so much wrong with this post. Are you saying that there's no way a hard-working, ambitious person cannot own their own house?
    And after this election I pray that they reduce social welfare because its a massive disincentive for people to get back to work. Reducing it is the only way forward.

So people can live below the breadline? Sure, we might as well starve them, too. It's the way forward.
    All I know is that the current system is an absolute disaster. The country can't sustain the level of expenditure on social welfare. So if something isn't working it needs to be changed. What do you suggest then?

My point was that minimum wage has been reduced, private sector salaries have been reduced dramatically, so in turn shouldn't social welfare be reduced...

I work full time and have been married a couple of years. I'd love to start a family but I have to hold off because I can't afford to and I wouldn't want my family to have to struggle money wise. There's a baby boom at the moment and most of the people I know having children are on social welfare, and in turn tax payers have to pay this extra expense. The system encourages girls to leave school and get pregnant as they will be well looked after by the state. How can that be right.

You have a very skewed sense of social justice if that's how you feel. You should be very rpoud of yourself for being a privileged, middle-class boardsie.

Things can change in an instance Trophywife.

I have worked hard for my degree and post-grad. I have a mortgage secured in the good old days when they were a dime a dozen. I have a strong work ethic and ambition.

Were my partner to die tomorrow I would be very much at the mercy of the social welfare.

Try not to let the media cloud your views on who it is exactly that is availing of the vast majority of council housing and social benefits and bare in mind that not everyone on the 'dole' is a lazy skanger.

The CSO very recently received 14,000 applications for the temp positions they have coming up in less than a day. 14,000 for a barely over minimum wage job!!!!!

And there were thousands of others who attempted to apply but couldn't as they had reached maximum capacity in record timing.

So there are still a few people out there who are not too good for minimum wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Squirm wrote: »
    The CSO very recently received 14,000 applications for the temp positions they have coming up in less than a day. 14,000 for a barely over minimum wage job!!!!!

And there were thousands of others who attempted to apply but couldn't as they had reached maximum capacity in record timing.

So there are still a few people out there who are not too good for minimum wage.

The enumerator job is hardly minimum wage. It asks you to do on average 22 hours a week, some weeks less, some more. On average you earn €2,200 for the 10 week contract, some earn more. That works out at around a tenner an hour, not bad in my books.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,257 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Warnings handed out.
    Could you not just say "my tax"? "Tax dollars" makes it sound as if you're a D4 who thinks they live in Beverly Hills :pac:
    On topic please, all of you.

social housing is a necessary part of our country , and its a case of beggars shouldnt be choosers, she could be put in some dodgy estate in limerick as her 2nd option or something, what then , I just think the op should cop on and not treat a council house as a happy existance to live the rest of her life and rather as a temporary - less than Ideal circumstance to get over as quickly as possible
    Actually, people living in council-owned properties should be entitled to a happy existence. There is a long standing pattern of the more successful and motivated people moving out of council housing and the area loses its natural leaders, the area then declines, loses reputation and only the more desperate and less capable will move there. The problems self-perpetuate and a vicious circle forms.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I'm lucky you have a sense of humour then! :p
    Since when does obnoxious rudeness qualify as humour?
    Squirm wrote:

Aye. Unfortunately there were also working professionals in good jobs who applied for and got these jobs as a little extra earner. I wouldn't mind that so much, everyone's entitled to do the best for themselves, were it not that it is the same people who then turn round and castigate those who they themselves edged out of jobs for not making an effort to access gainful employment.
    All I know is that the current system is an absolute disaster. The country can't sustain the level of expenditure on social welfare.
    What the country REALLY can't sustain is continuing to pour countless billions into the bankers' black hole, to rescue them after they and their developer pals played silly buggers with the country's future for years, aided and abetted by their tame FF mouthpieces. And yes, in the process drove the price of houses sky-high, so that those who rushed foolishly into house purchases and mortgages at the height of the boom are now feeling the pinch in a major way. And in fairness to those people I will say this: our inept teletubby government was telling them that that was what they should be doing ... our former Taoiseach was of the publicly-stated opinion that those who tried to utter a word of warning should commit suicide!!

As a result of the shenanigans of the unholy trinity of bankers, developers and politicians, there are also huge numbers of people who lost jobs and find themselves dependent on the social welfare system ... they too are victims in all of this.

What fascinates (and saddens) me is that in Ireland the perpetrators walk free, and the victims turn on each other!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

OP I have a somewhat similar predicament to you.

I am lucky enough to be in full time employment however over the past 2 years have seen my hours cut by 20%. wages by 30% and paying increasing levels of tax.

Like so many others I overpayed for a semi-d house in a housing estate which is now valued at 50% less than the mortgage I am paying on it. My mortgage accounts for 60% of my expenditure, I have barely enough to feed my family and the bills are stacking up.

Now I have been told that the vacant houses either side are to be given to social housing. On one side will be a young couple and their children. I have heard some reports off people about them. I don't know a whole lot but neither of them are working which means they will probably sit at home all day doing nothing paid for by the taxpayer.

But I can't move anywhere, I am stuck in this house forever as I will never be able to sell it. I will always be at the mercy of the council as to who my neighbors will be.

Apparently, however, if they don't like living beside me they can apply for a different house. Mad isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭man.about.town

clouds wrote: »
    The likes of you Eric Cartman, gummy and panda should be ashamed of yourself. Do yis feel like real men?

OP if I could help, I would. Sympathies though, I hope you and your kids don't have to live beside drug dealing scumbags.

i have no sympathy what so ever, its this kinda lark that has our country the way it is.. too many hand outs. our crippling benefit entitlements are a joke. we have the highest rent allowance, social welfare, child benefits in europe etc... and still all the people who benefit from these cry about how they get offered a perfectly good house but the neighbours arent nice ... UNF$%KING BELIEVABLE

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭man.about.town

ebixa82 wrote: »
    OP I have a somewhat similar predicament to you.

I am lucky enough to be in full time employment however over the past 2 years have seen my hours cut by 20%. wages by 30% and paying increasing levels of tax.

Like so many others I overpayed for a semi-d house in a housing estate which is now valued at 50% less than the mortgage I am paying on it. My mortgage accounts for 60% of my expenditure, I have barely enough to feed my family and the bills are stacking up.

Now I have been told that the vacant houses either side are to be given to social housing. On one side will be a young couple and their children. I have heard some reports off people about them. I don't know a whole lot but neither of them are working which means they will probably sit at home all day doing nothing paid for by the taxpayer.

But I can't move anywhere, I am stuck in this house forever as I will never be able to sell it. I will always be at the mercy of the council as to who my neighbors will be.

Apparently, however, if they don't like living beside me they can apply for a different house. Mad isn't it?

thats why i have no sympathy, bought my place in late '06 for 400k and struggle to pay it. the lady opposite me is getting rent allowance because she is a single mother with 3 kids. she does nothing but sit in her house and go to the shops. in fairness, she nice and her kids are grand but every so often she has a party and its full of knackers (the only way i can describe them). pisses me off

btw, our situation is nothing like the OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

i have no sympathy what so ever, its this kinda lark that has our country the way it is.. too many hand outs. our crippling benefit entitlements are a joke. we have the highest rent allowance, social welfare, child benefits in europe etc... and still all the people who benefit from these cry about how they get offered a perfectly good house but the neighbours arent nice ... UNF$%KING BELIEVABLE

Would YOU live there? No? Then have some sense, please.

Smiling wondering how long you would actually last there!!!

I for one am sick of being referred to as "scum" by eg landlords on this board because SHOCK HORROR! I need Rent Allowance AS WELL as a pension!
    I mean HOW DARE I! Seek a roof over my old head!!

NB I am a disabled pensioner; been on disability most of my life through no fault of mine .... And am deeply thankful for a system that lets me live independently. When I was first ill, I went through a hell of guilt about taking benefits. My mother assured me that it was her taxes that were paying for it.. I get a small pension fron the UK and SHOCK HORROR! am entitled to RA here AND solid fuel allowance etc. The long delays in RA applications mean that I have around E10 a week for food etc; I live in bed to try to keep warm. That has been so all winter long. Solid Fuel is E20 a week; a bag of coal is between 14 and 17; go figure as they say.

Anyone who thinks these allowances are generous needs to live on them; they are adequate and fine if you don';t seek a way of life that is not meagre.

What please is your suggestion for an alternative? That we go back to the workhouse system? Or shall we expect old ones to lie down in ditches and die there?

Actually, the workhouse system would cost more as the 'workers" demand high wages.:eek:

OP: God reward you for having standards for your children. Please, do as the post advises and speak with the council; you know it might be that that house is available because no one else will take it either. Mpw there is a thought!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

just cos your wife's an obese swine...;)

And I'm a working professional, who pays tax and contributes to this country in a positive manner so I'm more than entitled to have my say in how my tax dollars should be spent. And after this election I pray that they reduce social welfare because its a massive disincentive for people to get back to work. Reducing it is the only way forward.

2 week ban for personal abuse.
    If you intend to post in this forum after the elapse of your ban- ensure you read the forum charter before you do so. Personal abuse of any nature will not be tolerated, period. If you disagree with what someone posts- refute the post without attacking the poster.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Graces7 wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks these allowances are generous needs to live on them

I'm sorry but free rent is not generous?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭barbs84

why should u feel ur entitled to turn down a house tax payers are paying for its people working that have to pay for their own houses so if u want to be fussy get a job come of the council list and buy a house u want if not take what ur offered

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Everyone- I am only going to say this once......
    Read the forum charter if you intend to post in this forum.
    Its a simple set of rules.

In brief: If you disagree with what someone else posts- refute the post without attacking the poster. Its not difficult to remain civil towards one another- even when you have diametrically opposing viewpoints, and indeed when people are able to debate with one another from opposing viewpoints, in general we educate each other.

Remain civil towards one another- or you will have a posting holiday from this forum.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MRLAZY

What are ye all talking about. I know plenty of people who are living in council houses and are working aswell, paying tax and paying rent to the council.

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    I'm sorry but free rent is not generous?

?? Who is talking re "free rent"? it might help you to be fair to get your facts straight..

And this IS a welfare state so there should be no such emotive word as "generous" used in this context. That shows the attitude so prevalent here.

Long term residential care would cost the country a lot more.

Rent Allowance does not pay the whole rent; it makes up what is lacking in other benefits so that people can have a roof over their heads and still eat and keep warm. To avoid what I have been going through this winter in fact.
    Old age and disabled deaths through hypothermia in Ireland are a sheer disgrace.

thats why i have no sympathy, bought my place in late '06 for 400k and struggle to pay it. the lady opposite me is getting rent allowance because she is a single mother with 3 kids. she does nothing but sit in her house and go to the shops. in fairness, she nice and her kids are grand but every so often she has a party and its full of knackers (the only way i can describe them). pisses me off

btw, our situation is nothing like the OP

Small minded begrudgery is an Irish curse. This post speaks volumes re the poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

barbs84 wrote: »
    why should u feel ur entitled to turn down a house tax payers are paying for its people working that have to pay for their own houses so if u want to be fussy get a job come of the council list and buy a house u want if not take what ur offered
    A. You don't know whether the OP doesn't have a job.
    B. Nobody should have to live in close proximity to people who make life difficult for those around them.
    Attitude here seems to be "Those inferior specimens who are housed by the council deserve to put up with anti social behaviour."
    Horrible, shameful views - bigoted snobbery. Someone here bought a house at 21? No they didn't - they got it from the folks. You should take a long look at yourselves - try putting yourselves in the shoes of people from less privileged circumstances. Not everyone gets the same breaks - it's really not difficult to work out.
    And I'd very much doubt you'd say that awful stuff to people whom you know come from a council estate. I'd absolutely love it if you mouthed it off to someone ambitious and hard-working (and therefore they're "safe" - after all, nobody like that could come from a council estate) and it turns out they're from one of Ireland's hardest estates. :)

Do you honestly think every person living in a council property does so by choice, including in the tough-as-nails areas? Do you honestly think it's a luxury? If it is, why not live in one yourselves? And do you honestly think every person living in a council property lacks ambition? What about those council tenants who eventually buy the properties off the council?
    The answer to the closed questions above, unless you're stupid, is obviously no. You just enjoy looking down on people.
    What I don't like "my" taxes paying for is badly maintained properties and estates that would be deemed a serious breach by a private landlord and could land them in a fair bit of trouble.
    You can choose to view the welfare state as a system that "encourages sponging" bla bla bla... or a system that ensures some bit of social equality. If you view it as the former, it kinda casts you in a fairly selfish light to be honest. Of course middle-class people (and I'm one - and I'm not a reverse snob either, I got over the chip on my shoulder about being middle-class by 19) get on well in terms of jobs, education etc - the tools are there for them from the day they're born.

And again, more of the "free" house bollocks... They're. Not. Free.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I got a mortgage five years ago. I'm twenty six now and put myself through college for 6 years to get what I have now. Its called hard work and have ambition in life. Age has nothing to do with it. I'd rather be getting a mortage and buying a house now than at the peak five years ago. I didn't go having kids when I knew I couldn't support them and then expect for the state to pay for them and house them. Good job there's more people like me, than there is people having kids when they can't support them cos the country would be in even more of a mess then!!

I'm not a snob. People lost jobs and its terrible...wasn't they're fault but it happened and they need to get through it. The real snobbery comes from people who are claiming social welfare and think they're too good to work in a minimum wage job. And there's a hell of a lot of that going on.

This sounds very off to me, 26 gone through six years of college (age 18-24 I'm guessing), got a mortgage (aged 21, still in college, for another 3 years).

You clearly don't live in the real world, unless your part time job in college was as an investment banker...

Most likely being bankrolled for everything, wouldn't want to say any more and risk a ban.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement