Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I just got offer council house from hell !

Options
  • 18-02-2011 7:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello i'm a 33 year old women settled the my partner and 3 kids in waterford, today we got a letter from the council saying we were offered a house :), we were delighted until we found out the neighbors:eek:. a single mother/druggie who has wild partys with her 4 kids there plus she has her boyfriend living on the sly with her Who is a career criminal ,No joking this man is scum drug dealer convicted suspect in several shootings and got with stolen guns after breaking into a farmers house . this man is no stranger to jail .:(

So here's my problem's PLEASE/ADVISE ME :confused:

1) If i refuse will my rent allowance be taking off me ?

2)Will i get another offer as the is a few house empty at the minute ?

3) Will i be taken of the list ?

Thank you !

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Um what is wrong with the house? You seem to be complaining about someone else's lifestyle.

You'd need to contact your local authority and see what their policies are on refusal of accomodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Free housing is never going to be great housing , contact your council and see, I think you can turn down 1 offer.

You could also try applying for a few jobs so you could live where you want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ronan125

Free housing is never going to be great housing , contact your council and see, I think you can turn down 1 offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

ronan125 wrote: »
    Now Now Now Eric - You dont expect people to have to work to be able to get a house do you now... sure are we not all entitled to free houses in any area we like.

OP I suggest you march down to the council, say you could not possibly live in that house and demand a 5 bed detached house in the most affluent area nearest to you.

I know. How unreasonable of her to expect the council to police their social housing and not have her kids exposed to drug dealing so close nearby?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Anyway, every council has different policies, the ones I'm familiar with give you one refusal before you get shunted back to the end of the list

• Advertisement

I know. How unreasonable of her to expect the council to police their social housing and not have her kids exposed to drug dealing so close nearby?

if theres nothing wrong with the house itself then she should take it and be thankful, if she doesnt take it some other family may have to , if she used a bit of initiative she could contact the council about the neighbour and have her evicted, but then again, if she used a bit of initiative maybee shed have her own house

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Tom1991

Reporting never works especially in the kip i have to live in.there are some settled council estates out there with old people but 90% including my own are drug and crime havens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

You could also try applying for a few jobs so you could live where you want
    ronan125 wrote: »
    Now Now Now Eric - You dont expect people to have to work to be able to get a house do you now... sure are we not all entitled to free houses in any area we like.
    How the **** do you know she's not working? And "free" house? No, you actually pay rent. And she didn't give any indication that she's entitled to it, or in any area she likes. If council houses are such a luxury, and a "free" one at that, how come lots of people wouldn't live in one?
    OP I suggest you march down to the council, say you could not possibly live in that house and demand a 5 bed detached house in the most affluent area nearest to you.
    Where did she indicate she's looking for anything remotely like that?
    if theres nothing wrong with the house itself then she should take it and be thankful, if she doesnt take it some other family may have to , if she used a bit of initiative she could contact the council about the neighbour and have her evicted, but then again, if she used a bit of initiative maybee shed have her own house
    What's vastly different between renting off a local authority and renting off a private landlord? And I thought it was "stupid" for people to buy their own house in today's climate.

The OP is a bit lacking in facts to make such judgements, no?
    snubbleste wrote: »
    Um what is wrong with the house? You seem to be complaining about someone else's lifestyle.
    That just comes across as disingenuous - she made it clear she's unhappy with the shenanigans she has been informed the neighbours get up to, which if correct would affect those living next door to them.
    Doesn't matter how nice a house is if you've to put up with crap from the neighbours.
    People have a right to be unhappy about living in close proximity to others who are engaging in anti-social behaviour that affects those around them - there's nothing overly demanding or unreasonable about that.

Although OP, the fact she's a lone mother should hardly be a concern...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 FreeCheese4All

Dudess wrote: »

What's vastly different between renting off a local authority and renting off a private landlord?

Taxpayer subsidising renting from a local authority.
    Taxpayer not subsidising tenants renting from a private landlord

That's what taxes are for - to provide services, including housing for those who aren't in a position to buy/rent privately. If there is a minority taking the piss, that's just the way of the world - it's not enough reason to do away with the system. The state that local authorities let some places get into anyway - a private landlord would be rightly pilloried for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭clouds

The likes of you Eric Cartman, gummy and panda should be ashamed of yourself. Do yis feel like real men?

OP if I could help, I would. Sympathies though, I hope you and your kids don't have to live beside drug dealing scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Murt10

Taxpayer not subsidising tenants renting from a private landlord

Where did you get that from? Who do you think is paying the Rent Allowance?

clouds wrote: »
    The likes of you Eric Cartman, gummy and panda should be ashamed of yourself. Do yis feel like real men?
    To be fair, re-read Gummy Panda's post.

To be fair, re-read Gummy Panda's post.

You're right Dudess,
    sincerest apologies GummyPanda.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭smokie2008

A lot of people here seem to be either very far up their own arses or jealous of the fact their in negative equity with their own house or like me paying over half their wages on a mortgage every month.

God forbid the OP might not be lucky enough to be well educated enough to have a good job that pays well and can offered to pay the bank/builders the ridicules extortion price for a house in this country. Or maybe the bank won't lend her the money for the house, who knows her circumstances?????

Just cause she is getting social housing does that mean she should shut up and let her kids grow up next door to some scumbag filthy drug dealer and chance exposing them to that life????

Cop on.

Op if I was you it might be a good idea to contact your local councilor or someone like that and explain your situation. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

If you have concrete evidence of your allegations you can give them to the council in confidence. You can meet with your local counciller if you wont want to speak to a council employee. How do you know this person has convictions? Was it in the local paper. If so get a cutting and bring it into the council. When you say the neighbour is a druggie do you mean you have seen her under the influence of drugs. If you can demonstrate that you have reasonable grounds for refusing the property then you should contiue to be entitled to rent supplement. Have you considered the RAS scheme?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Trophywife

What else would you expect in all fairness....people who expect to be given free houses at the expense of the hard working tax payers don't exactly have a lot of morals or ambition. Hence bringing your kids up in a place with people like druggies etc living next door would be the worse thing you could possibly do. Like another poster said try get any job you can and pay for your housing yourself and your kids might have some chance at turning out half decent people. I'm sick of this attitude of people not going off the social welfare for a minimum wage job (cos of loss of benefits)...if you have kids should you not be showing them that its important to have drive and work for a living and that a better life is possible rather than sitting around on your arse doing nothing all day. The country would be a much better place then.

How the **** do you know she's not working? And "free" house? No, you actually pay rent.

And I thought it was "stupid" for people to buy their own house in today's climate.
    Can you get a council house If you / your partner is in full time employment ? I always thought you couldnt

I know its not free but its like what 15-30 a week , its effectivley free also as to my earlier point I assumed she was using dole to pay it , so then it is free (except to those of us who work)

I never said anything like that , I think its quite smart to buy a house now if you can get the mortgage but I meant renting

my post may have come of as harsh in the beginning , but its quite obvious the op has no real proof of this , she probably talked to some aul wan down the road who assumes the whole estate is on drugs or something , social housing is a necessary part of our country , and its a case of beggars shouldnt be choosers, she could be put in some dodgy estate in limerick as her 2nd option or something, what then , I just think the op should cop on and not treat a council house as a happy existance to live the rest of her life and rather as a temporary - less than Ideal circumstance to get over as quickly as possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Squirm

I think it's very unfair to expect council house recipients to 'put up and shut up'.

Perhaps if more honest, decent, family orientated, residents of council houses across the country were to start complaining and reporting their junkie, trouble making, fraudster neighbours, council estates would be in a much better state of repair and would provide more suitable... and appealing... housing for families, especially children.

Why should the drug taking, criminally inclined, scumbags ruin entire neighbourhoods, while ordinary families, with their own issues and hardships, who have fallen on hard times, are expected to suffer all the more??

I have enormous respect and admiration for anyone who will stand up, complain, report and do what they need to do for their children.

We do not know anything about the OP's personal circumstances and she is asking a valid and legitimate question.

Perhaps people might consider answering it, to the best of their abilities, for the sake of her children, if not for her- the "lazy, not-bothered-to-work, scrounger" that she is...

Lols @ someone called TrophyWife banging on about 'hard working tax payers' :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

clouds wrote: »
    Lols @ someone called TrophyWife banging on about 'hard working tax payers' :pac:

just cos your wife's an obese swine...;)

And I'm a working professional, who pays tax and contributes to this country in a positive manner so I'm more than entitled to have my say in how my tax dollars should be spent. And after this election I pray that they reduce social welfare because its a massive disincentive for people to get back to work. Reducing it is the only way forward.

Trophywife wrote: »
    And Ban in 10....9.....8.....lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Gift horse and all that. Look at it as your opportunity to raise the level of tenant in the area. Who knows, maybe the scrounger and druggie won't like having hard working honest people next door.

Gift horse and all that. Look at it as your opportunity to raise the level of tenant in the area. Who knows, maybe the scrounger and druggie won't like having hard working honest people next door.
    So enlighten us "Mr.Presentable", What exactly would you do if you were unfortunate enough to be in this position?? Lets presume absolutely everything the OP is saying is true, what would you do??

smokie2008 wrote: »
    And Ban in 10....9.....8.....lol

I'm lucky you have a sense of humour then! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

And I'm a working professional, who pays tax and contributes to this country in a positive manner so I'm more than entitled to have my say in how my tax dollars should be spent. And after this election I pray that they reduce social welfare because its a massive disincentive for people to get back to work. Reducing it is the only way forward.
    Surely you'd be better suited on an American forum? You hardly pay tax in Ireland if you speak of tax dollars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

smokie2008 wrote: »
    So enlighten us "Mr.Presentable", What exactly would you do if you were unfortunate enough to be in this position?? Lets presume absolutely everything the OP is saying is true, what would you do??

Not everybody is in a position to pick and choose. Make the best of your situation and work to improve it.

Surely you'd be better suited on an American forum? You hardly pay tax in Ireland if you speak of tax dollars.

Its a figure of speech....sounds better than tax euros! But you know that and your just trying to be smart but failing miserably!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Its a figure of speech....sounds better than tax euros! But you know that and your just trying to be smart but failing miserably!!
    Could you not just say "my tax"? "Tax dollars" makes it sound as if you're a D4 who thinks they live in Beverly Hills :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement