Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I just got offer council house from hell !

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Seems to be more of a Humanities thread then an accommodation thread at this stage

I have to agree with you there. Providing it remains civil in nature- I'm happy enough to allow it to run though. I'm not sure that there is a more appropriate home for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭man.about.town

Graces7 wrote: »
    Would YOU live there? No? Then have some sense, please.

Smiling wondering how long you would actually last there!!!

I for one am sick of being referred to as "scum" by eg landlords on this board because SHOCK HORROR! I need Rent Allowance AS WELL as a pension!
    I mean HOW DARE I! Seek a roof over my old head!!

NB I am a disabled pensioner; been on disability most of my life through no fault of mine .... And am deeply thankful for a system that lets me live independently. When I was first ill, I went through a hell of guilt about taking benefits. My mother assured me that it was her taxes that were paying for it.. I get a small pension fron the UK and SHOCK HORROR! am entitled to RA here AND solid fuel allowance etc. The long delays in RA applications mean that I have around E10 a week for food etc; I live in bed to try to keep warm. That has been so all winter long. Solid Fuel is E20 a week; a bag of coal is between 14 and 17; go figure as they say.

Anyone who thinks these allowances are generous needs to live on them; they are adequate and fine if you don';t seek a way of life that is not meagre.

What please is your suggestion for an alternative? That we go back to the workhouse system? Or shall we expect old ones to lie down in ditches and die there?

Actually, the workhouse system would cost more as the 'workers" demand high wages.:eek:

OP: God reward you for having standards for your children. Please, do as the post advises and speak with the council; you know it might be that that house is available because no one else will take it either. Mpw there is a thought!!

yes and i sympathize with your plight, however, no i wouldn't last too long there and thats why i bought my own house in a place i wanted to live. i stand by what i said and have no qualms saying them again, OUR GENEROUS BENEFIT ENTITLEMENTS ARE FAR TO GENEROUS IN THE CURRENT CLIMATE. a complete overhaul is needed.

The issue in an Irish context- is that the average benefits accruing to an average family, exceed the net take home pay from the average wage. Aka- for someone earning the average wage with a family- there simply is no financial incentive to work.

I am not implying that benefits are too high with the above statement- or wages too low- simply that there is an imbalance that needs to be addressed. Part of readdressing this imbalance- has to be tackling the ridiculous cost of living in this country. The average person in employment is living in penury- and indeed many are actively jealous of those on benefits. Its now seen as impractical to have children unless you're on social welfare- its simply not possible to afford childcare and work- never mind the not inconsiderable costs of bringing up children. The average working person- would doubtless love to be in a position to take care of their children- instead of working to pay creche fees etc......

The whole Irish system needs a radical overhaul. Once the cost of living is brought back to some semblence of normality- we can reduce pensions and other benefits- in a similar manner to the cuts we've already introduced for the employed- and tax employment in a normal manner (which in an Irish context- if we expect universal healthcare- would imply an average tax rate approaching 60%)

We really have lost the run of ourselves since the early 1990s- we are not a wealthy country, though we like to think we are, and our current financial mess, is not something that is transient in nature- without radical restructuring- its pretty much going to be like this indefinitely........

Its all well and good for people to make their cases about protecting their own little corners- or for the groups to petition to protect the vunerable in society. The issue now is that perhaps 3/4 of Irish society are living from day to day- and see themselves as vunerable- which obviously is untenable........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

Dudess wrote: »
    It's really as black and white for you as the OP deciding "Right, I won't bother working and I'll apply for a council house" (despite you knowing very little about her, including no proof she or her partner doesn't work) and the council saying "You want a council house? Here ya go!" isn't it? Bless your simplistic view of the world...

Btw, where does this "People in council housing automatically don't work" sh1t come from? Funny, I know plenty of people housed by a local authority who work - some more than one job.

"Beggars can't be choosers" - what a horribly stuck-up phrase. Yep, the people living in estates where a tiny element is making the majority's lives a misery know that only too well...

it is that simple , in ireland their is an element in society who feel they have the right to live off other people or that they should have everything provided for them even they are not fit or willing to provide it for themselves eg last week of of a "gentleman" in galway getting free legal aid while the taxpayers of this country give him 44k a year for the dubious benefit of having him live among us .so if you are in a position where you are asking the goverment ie your friends and neighbors the taxpayers to provide housing for you and your family that you for whatever reason have chosen not to provide for yourself ,then take what you are given and be grateful you live in a society that feels it needs to provide you with shelter .

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭clouds

There are a few issues here as I see it

The conflation of genuine claimants and scroungers, which in itself has shades of the Victorian notions of 'deserving' and 'undeserving' poor.

Are there even such people as genuine claimants, if they weren't so lazy and unambitous they'd be out slogging like ME. Therefore they're ALL scroungers. And how dare scroungers think they'll get something for nothing, they should be damn glad they're not left to die in a ditch.

Grass is greener syndrome and dare I say it, a lack of intelligence. A bit of beal bocht. Costs are rising, mortgage, childcare, insurance, petrol, very true. I feel the pinch also, but I'm not better off on social because those things I mentioned are all nice middle class trappings. Don't need any of them, and don't need to be on the dole to give them up. So why don't people just walk away from everything and move into private rented, jack in (one of) the job(s) and sell the car(s). They'd be laughing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

danbohan wrote: »
    it is that simple , in ireland their is an element in society who feel they have the right to live off other people or that they should have everything provided for them even they are not fit or willing to provide it for themselves eg last week of of a "gentleman" in galway getting free legal aid while the taxpayers of this country give him 44k a year for the dubious benefit of having him live among us .so if you are in a position where you are asking the goverment ie your friends and neighbors the taxpayers to provide housing for you and your family that you for whatever reason have chosen not to provide for yourself ,then take what you are given and be grateful you live in a society that feels it needs to provide you with shelter .

The 'entitled' generation I call it

And another thing.

We're all 'entitled'. Every single one of us feels we're entitled to something. I'm a tax payer and as such I'm entitled....I worked hard all my life and I'm entitled...I had a bad start in life and I'm entitled...

My personal opinion is that everyone IS entitled to a basic standard of human dignity and the neccessities of life, because I don't believe all poverty is self inflicted.

It's human nature to take what is offered, what they can get. Does it make a person evil? I don't know. Your typical right winger call in 'legitimate self interest' the further up the income ladder you go. (Usually when they are calling for less legislation for business, ie less protection & wages for employees, or lower taxes for higher earners) But near the bottom of the social scale, the very same behaviour and motives are called scrounging and sense of entitlement. So which is it?

I don't like the career claimants or the 'skangers' as much as the next person. BUT as the recent boom shows the number of unemployable is under 2%* of population. It sticks in the craw to be throwing money at 'that element'. But <shrug> it's the price you pay for civilization, imo.

(As an aside I think it was Adam Smith, 18thC 'Father of Free Market Economics' who said it was inevitable and BENEFICIAL to capitalist societies to have a small pool of unemployed, provides competition among the labour force. I am only 99% sure on that so maybe someone can confirm)

I got knocked up after unprotected sex with a lad who's name I don't know
    I'm entitled

Well you see I'm way better than you as I never had sex outside of marriage. My kids were conceived in Holy Matrimony therefore I'm considerably more entitled then yeeew.

TBH if I got knocked up by some jug eared p*sshead (even if I myself was a jug eared p*sshead) I'd be ENTITLED to support from him. IMO that's where the state should be looking when it comes to support for single parents.

That or shotgun weddings and Magdalen laundries.

clouds wrote: »
    Well you see I'm way better than you as I never had sex outside of marriage. My kids were conceived in Holy Matrimony therefore I'm considerably more entitled then yeeew.

TBH if I got knocked up by some jug eared p*sshead (even if I myself was a jug eared p*sshead) I'd be ENTITLED to support from him. IMO that's where the state should be looking when it comes to support for single parents.

That or shotgun weddings and Magdalen laundries.

Now you're talking!

• Advertisement

You married Rodin? Or still a virgin?

(Cos there's only 2 options now in our new improved society ;))

My personal opinion is that everyone IS entitled to a basic standard of human dignity and the neccessities of life, because I don't believe all poverty is self inflicted.

Part of the issue is- people's expectations of what a basic standard of human dignity and the necessities of life has changed radically over the last 20 years.

Smoking, drinking, nights out and holidays- are not a basic standard of human dignity or a necessity of life. A roof over someone's head (a basic housing need fulfilled- not an a la carte demand for a particular type of housing), food on their table (sufficient to healthily nourish them- not luxuries), and a reasonable expectation of being able to live peacefully in a safe environment (aka non-violent, and with recourse to the Gardai etc as necessary)- are both basic standards of living and of human dignity.

Once you define what the bare essentials are- everything else is a luxury that has a price attached to it, that must be met from somewhere.

Holidays, smoking, drinking, buying lottery tickets, new clothes, ready meals etc- are all luxuries- that people may or may not be able to afford.

Being in a position to stay at home and care for your own children- regardless of whether its of your volition, or as a result of not being able to find employment- is also a luxury......

Free healthcare and free education (irrespective of whether you are happy with the standards provided)- are also luxuries.

Irish people (in general)- over the past 2 decades have come to expect a number of these luxuries as standard- and over time have come to believe that these luxuries are in fact basic necessities- when in fact they are not.

The perception of these luxuries as necessities- is by no means consolidated in any particular socio-economic group- the unemployed, those on the minimum wage, those further up the food chain- have all changed their perceptions of what is 'normal' and all need a readjustment in their expectations..........

Our costs of living in Ireland are among the top 15 worldwide- for no good reason. Our social welfare state costs exceed those of most OPEC nations per head of population. We spend more on health and education than even the Nordic countries (though we do spend a lot less on defence). We eat, drink, smoke, gamble and holiday- like we are oil sheiks. We all want to own our own property (this seems to a particularly Irish obsession). We seem to expect someone else (some mythical person somewhere) to pay for all of these luxuries..........

Something has to give.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Trophywife wrote: »
    I got a mortgage five years ago. I'm twenty six now and put myself through college for 6 years to get what I have now. Its called hard work and have ambition in life. Age has nothing to do with it. I'd rather be getting a mortage and buying a house now than at the peak five years ago. I didn't go having kids when I knew I couldn't support them and then expect for the state to pay for them and house them. Good job there's more people like me, than there is people having kids when they can't support them cos the country would be in even more of a mess then!!

I'm not a snob. People lost jobs and its terrible...wasn't they're fault but it happened and they need to get through it. The real snobbery comes from people who are claiming social welfare and think they're too good to work in a minimum wage job. And there's a hell of a lot of that going on.

How did you save at least € 30 K for a deposit for a house at twenty one while in college ?

smccarrick wrote: »
    Part of the issue is- people's expectations of what a basic standard of human dignity and the necessities of life has changed radically over the last 20 years.

TRUE

Smoking, drinking, nights out and holidays- are not a basic standard of human dignity or a necessity of life. TRUE

A roof over someone's head (a basic housing need fulfilled- not an a la carte demand for a particular type of housing), food on their table (sufficient to healthily nourish them- not luxuries), and a reasonable expectation of being able to live peacefully in a safe environment (aka non-violent, and with recourse to the Gardai etc as necessary)- are both basic standards of living and of human dignity. TRUE

Once you define what the bare essentials are- everything else is a luxury that has a price attached to it, that must be met from somewhere.

Holidays, smoking, drinking, buying lottery tickets, new clothes, ready meals etc- are all luxuries- that people may or may not be able to afford.

Being in a position to stay at home and care for your own children- regardless of whether its of your volition, or as a result of not being able to find employment- is also a luxury...... TOO MANY DIFFERING CIRCUMSTANCES TO MAKE A BLANKET JUDGEMENT

Free healthcare and free education (irrespective of whether you are happy with the standards provided)- are also luxuries. HEALTHCARE IS A NECCESSITY, UP TO SECOND LEVEL EDU IS A NECCESSITY

Irish people (in general)- over the past 2 decades have come to expect a number of these luxuries as standard- and over time have come to believe that these luxuries are in fact basic necessities- when in fact they are not.

The perception of these luxuries as necessities- is by no means consolidated in any particular socio-economic group- the unemployed, those on the minimum wage, those further up the food chain- have all changed their perceptions of what is 'normal' and all need a readjustment in their expectations..........

Our costs of living in Ireland are among the top 15 worldwide- for no good reason. Our social welfare state costs exceed those of most OPEC nations per head of population. We spend more on health and education than even the Nordic countries (though we do spend a lot less on defence). We eat, drink, smoke, gamble and holiday- like we are oil sheiks. We all want to own our own property (this seems to a particularly Irish obsession). We seem to expect someone else (some mythical person somewhere) to pay for all of these luxuries..........

Something has to give.......

Ok smcarrick I don't know how to do the multiquote thing so have thrown in some caps there I hope you know what I mean.

But your general point is true. Our standards have risen massively. I don't know what to make of that really except - why not? Isn't the whole of human history about rising standards for a more comfortable luxurious life, or at least the attempts?

Also if standards rise I don't think they should only rise for the top half (or 5%) in society.

TBH I sometimes feel like we're living in some kind of some kind of End Time scenario. with peak oil, climate change and the rise of the East our grandchildren will marvel at the levels of comfort, food, travel we enjoyed.... (Anyway I'll get me coat. i'll be in conspiracy theories if any one wants me.)

Ok smcarrick I don't know how to do the multiquote thing so have thrown in some caps there I hope you know what I mean.

Copying and pasting the opening
    and finishing it with the close quote in chain bracket which also must be copy and pasted for each instance of the open quote.
    But your general point is true. Our standards have risen massively. I don't know what to make of that really except - why not? Isn't the whole of human history about rising standards for a more comfortable luxurious life, or at least the attempts?

Standards rose massively- however that rise in standards was paid for with illusionary wealth, that never really existed. People grew to presume they could do an annual equity release on their apartment or house- to pay for their annual car, and their 2-3 annual holidays. The government gladly collected the taxes on all these transactions- and did their damndest to encourage property prices to continue rising- so there was this equity to release (and also so they could collect the stamp duty). And the social welfare and pension recipients gained by virtue of having their entitlements index linked to a notional average industrial wage. Meanwhile public sector employees got themselves benchmarked to private sector employees- engaged in servicing this illusionary wealth- so the whole economy- from the top to the very bottom, was being supported with ghost strutts.......
    Also if standards rise I don't think they should only rise for the top half (or 5%) in society.

Standards didn't just rise for the top half- or even the top 5%- on a purely statistical basis, the percentage increase in net worth was in fact greater for those on social welfare than those at the top 5% of society (when you enumerate all entitlements being claimed). Yes- the top 5% benefited wildly from our illusionary wealth- however they also lost most when the collapse happened- and their new found poverty is being blamed for a not insignificant collapse of a major portion of the tax base.

Standards rose for everyone- however the wealth we used to pay for the increase in standards- did not exist. Now that we have accepted that this 'wealth' was an illusion- we have all become used to these increases in standards, and loathe to readjust our perspectives, to accept lower standards, that we can actually afford.
    TBH I sometimes feel like we're living in some kind of some kind of End Time scenario. with peak oil, climate change and the rise of the East our grandchildren will marvel at the levels of comfort, food, travel we enjoyed.... (Anyway I'll get me coat. i'll be in conspiracy theories if any one wants me.)

In an Irish context- we are in cyclical fairytale. When we joined the EU- we had a boom in agricultural land prices- and a consequent boom in financial activity in the economy. Then that crashed. We had the boom of the 1977-1978 era- where Jack Lynch spent ludicrous amounts of money like there was no tomorrow- and the country loved his proliferate ways. Then we had the bust of the 1980s. We had the boom from 1994 onwards- and now we've the bust again....... Our emigration levels are already back at levels last seen in the 1980s- and set to rise, as economic opportunities rise elsewhere........

To be completely honest with you- we appear to be singularly incapable of governing ourselves- and have proven this time and time again. Our particular brand of parochial politics has bankrupt us several times over- and our pre-occupation with pandering to every little special interest group out there- has tied us up three ways in red tape.......

Short of demolishing our country and redesigning it from the bottom up- we are finished. We simply cannot afford to continue- business as usual- there is no light at the end of the tunnel- unless of course its an express train headlight coming at us head-on, to mow us down.......

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Thundering good post smccarrick.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Thanks for the explanation smmcarrick. :)

I don't have much to quibble with in the rest of your post. Except to say it sounds perilously close to 'We all partied'. Maybe it's true to an extent. But what's definitely true is that the same few will be stuck with wiping up the vomit in the morning.

None of it was real. And now we have to find a new level of normal. We have a chance now to end the cycle and to make a better society. But we won't, will we.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Good post SMM.

@OP sorry to read that the house does not meet your requirements. Unfortunately you don't have to live in a council house to have unbearable neighbours. A good friend of mine who is no longer with us said that there is 1 in 10 bad neighbours and I tend to agree.

We have a chance now to end the cycle and to make a better society. But we won't, will we.

Sadly- I don't think we'll make a better society. We've been in this position so many times in the past- eventually someone throws us a bone, and we get our act together to some semblence of normality- before we go and blow it all again. We might laugh at the perceptions many people have of the Irish- but there is unfortunately more than a grain of truth associated with most of the 'Irish' myths........ Our traditional pressure release- has been allowing our brightest and best to feck off to the States, Australia, Canada and France- where they have done wonderfully well both for themselves and their adopted countries. We seem to be set on using this traditional outlet once more.

Sadly- I don't think we'll make a better society. We've been in this position so many times in the past- eventually someone throws us a bone, and we get our act together to some semblence of normality- before we go and blow it all again. We might laugh at the perceptions many people have of the Irish- but there is unfortunately more than a grain of truth associated with most of the 'Irish' myths........ Our traditional pressure release- has been allowing our brightest and best to feck off to the States, Australia, Canada and France- where they have done wonderfully well both for themselves and their adopted countries. We seem to be set on using this traditional outlet once more.

Isn't this down to how the country is run and how much of the population is obsessed with local politics and not national. Until we get our governance right how can we expect to progress.

Some people comment on Russia and it's shams of a government but this is down to the total lack of interest from the general public who seem content with how the country is run as as a quasi dictatorship. But we are not much different we are more concerned with local politics and don't concern ourselves with the more important issues of national politics and now it's come and bit us in the ass.

• Advertisement

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Isn't this down to how the country is run and how much of the population is obsessed with local politics and not national. Until we get our governance right how can we expect to progress.

That, unfortunately is the knux of the issue.
    Ireland is stuck in a feudal mindset- where every little village and town is actively fighting against their neighbouring villages and town, county against county- and the rest of the country as a whole against Dublin. There is sod all recognition that we are a tiny little country on the global stage, and we simply cannot afford (financially or metaphysically) to practise local politics.

Local politics- and our system of councils and councillors should be scrapped in their entirety, and national politics should be changed to a list system, where people genuinely interested in what is best for the country as a whole, have the opportunity to selflessly practice their craft. The Jackie Healy Raes and other gombeens should be consigned to the dustbin of history.

I genuinely don't think that people actually realise just how self destructive the Irish, as a nation, really are.......

I cannot believe we are still hearing the term blue shirt. FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

danbohan wrote: »
    it is that simple , in ireland their is an element in society who feel they have the right to live off other people or that they should have everything provided for them
    Yes, there is (albeit its size exaggerated by the hysteria media) however some folks just love to look down on others and lump all of those who are in receipt of state subsidised assistance in with them.
    eg last week of of a "gentleman" in galway getting free legal aid while the taxpayers of this country give him 44k a year for the dubious benefit of having him live among us
    What use is ONE example of a person who is taking the piss when there are thousands and thousands and thousands of others who don't?
    so if you are in a position where you are asking the goverment ie your friends and neighbors the taxpayers to provide housing for you and your family that you for whatever reason have chosen not to provide for yourself ,then take what you are given and be grateful you live in a society that feels it needs to provide you with shelter .
    You wouldn't even bother to consider the individual circumstances that lead to people being housed by a local authority, no? You'd never maybe consider residents of an estate in Limerick who are being terrorised relentlessly and would give anything to get out of their predicament, but in the meantime they'll have to make do with putting perspex on their windows and not having visits from their relatives and friends?
    No ****ing compassion at all like?
    The OP gave no indication whatsoever that she just decided to "sponge" - you don't know what circumstances led her to where she is, so it seems the decent thing to do would be not to judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

yes and i sympathize with your plight, however, no i wouldn't last too long there and thats why i bought my own house in a place i wanted to live. i stand by what i said and have no qualms saying them again, OUR GENEROUS BENEFIT ENTITLEMENTS ARE FAR TO GENEROUS IN THE CURRENT CLIMATE. a complete overhaul is needed.

I am not asking for "sympathy" so please stop the patronising. And ther eis no "plight": I am no different from thousands of others... My life is fine if limited, as I clearly said. But with any less money? And unless the RA comes through soon, there will be more problems.

Simply trying to let you see what life is really like. Maybe you should trot over to "state benefits" and read what some of the brave souls recently made jobless are having to do to survive. Brave, strong folk. Who have done no wrong and who are entitled to a decent life.

And please do not shout. Old I may be but not deaf.
    Thank you.

These benefits are not some kind of benevolent hand outs; they are our right as citizens. The rights of any civilised society in fact. Only really civilised societies would never speak as you do. Would never assume that it is "them" and "us" or speak as of we, who are sick or old, should bow or tug our forelocks in gratitude.

What goes around comes around; take heed.

Rather it is the ones, like you maybe, who clearly are earning more than you need, to give more to the economy now in this "present climate". We have nothing and in some cases less than nothing.
    Maybe raise taxes now so that we can live.

We are not beggars; this truly is going back to Victorian ideas.. We are valued and valuable members of society.

Not some kind of low life.

Have you any realistic idea of what food , fuel etc cost? Day by day?
    What do you suggest we cut to accommodate your ideas?

The OP has a right to safe accommodation and a safe environment in which to raise her precious children. And the right also to say no to this place if she thinks that there is danger there. She is not a beggar. NB if the man is living there on the sly that can be stopped.

PS thanks for the thanks; I came back with some misgivings! Bravo!

That, unfortunately is the knux of the issue.
    Ireland is stuck in a feudal mindset- where every little village and town is actively fighting against their neighbouring villages and town, county against county- and the rest of the country as a whole against Dublin. There is sod all recognition that we are a tiny little country on the global stage, and we simply cannot afford (financially or metaphysically) to practise local politics.

Local politics- and our system of councils and councillors should be scrapped in their entirety, and national politics should be changed to a list system, where people genuinely interested in what is best for the country as a whole, have the opportunity to selflessly practice their craft. The Jackie Healy Raes and other gombeens should be consigned to the dustbin of history.

I genuinely don't think that people actually realise just how self destructive the Irish, as a nation, really are.......

Oh we do; this is something we speak of every day.... But then we are incomers.. Well put indeed; thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Graces7 wrote: »
    Maybe you should trot over to "state benefits" and read what some of the brave souls recently made jobless are having to do to survive. Brave, strong folk. Who have done no wrong and who are entitled to a decent life.
    It's a forum I'd personally avoid unless I had to use it (touch wood) as the blood would be angered by horrible snobbish comments like here and I'd say something bannable... :)
    Unfortunately while your suggestion to pay a visit to it to see a bit of reality is well intentioned, I fear nothing will change some minds here... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    I cannot believe we are still hearing the term blue shirt. FFS.

Same as hearing RA heads for those in SF. They may once have been armed militants, but even as politicians they are being hit with that brush still!

OP I know the feeling, I grew up in a council estate. Most of my neighbours were good people, who worked (yes, worked, min wage jobs though) and kept the place clean and everything. But there is always the few scumbags who destroy it for everyone.

Could you go to the housing dept and explain it is not the house, but the neighbour! Worst they can say is tough tiddle!

Dudess wrote: »
    It's a forum I'd personally avoid unless I had to use it (touch wood) as the blood would be angered by horrible snobbish comments like here and I'd say something bannable... :)
    Unfortunately while your suggestion to pay a visit to it to see a bit of reality is well intentioned, I fear nothing will change some minds here... :(

I know what you mean; but there is not that much of that there. Most are trying to find their way through the maze of red tape etc just to get any benefits; with the present issues we have re RA I know the feeling.:rolleyes:

I gather that Cork is the worst place for delays re RA.

Incidentally, a comment came last night that is it not we who get RA but the landlords... How true.

And yes, closed minds. But some learn only the hard way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Elle Collins

professore wrote: »
    How did you save at least € 30 K for a deposit for a house at twenty one while in college ?

+ 1

..though I'm not so much wondering where she got the cash as I'm wondering how much exactly daddy gave her.

How sickening to read the noxious views of some of pampered and privileged grown-up brats on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Seems to be more of a Humanities thread then an accommodation thread at this stage
    I have to agree with you there. Providing it remains civil in nature- I'm happy enough to allow it to run though. I'm not sure that there is a more appropriate home for it.

Actually, I think this thread hits the core of issues regarding accomodation & property in Ireland. Although, this also encompasses the humanities forum remit, the attitudes towards people in need of social housing reveal so much about why people were willing to let themselves fall for the credit bubble and buy overpriced property.

What is shocking are people's vitriol for those at the lower end of the economic scale, rather than the property developers and those who invested in house after house, with the motivation as money, rather than any interest in being a good landlord.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement