Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I just got offer council house from hell !

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Elle Collins

Darlughda wrote: »
    What is shocking are people's vitriol for those at the lower end of the economic scale,

It is shocking, and I've never seen it evidenced anywhere as clearly as on boards.ie.

It just goes to show how fortunate some people are in life. Such ignorance is evidence of a privileged background.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It is shocking, and I've never seen it evidenced anywhere as clearly as on boards.ie.

It just goes to show how fortunate some people are in life. Such ignorance is evidence of a privileged background.

Interesting; thank you.

There is a kind of.. almost ritualistic expectation of what "life" should hold. smcarrick listed it well.. holidays, nights out etc etc.

But that is a fairly new thing. Reading the book by Christina Noble of the appalling poverty so many lived in in Dublin as late as the 60s. Burnng the lino to cook food... fleas and lice... And many remember that still only too well.

That too is part of the reason ..New pleasures grasped at. Immoderately.

I have never had any of that .. the last hoiiday I had was nearly 30 years ago; visiting friends in France. I don;t consider myself deprived or to be pitied. Living very simply has become second nature...Nothing difficult or deprived. It is as it is. Would I take a holiday if it were offered? No. Nor a night out.
    These things are not needful.

And there are so many small pleasures and joys to be experienced.

Although it would be a help to be able to keep warm in winter! :rolleyes:;) But we have survived and today the sun is out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 daisydais

I'm really shocked and surprised at the ignorance of some people on this thread, as people have been saying you dont no what this persons situation is???

I'm a single parent didnt receive any benefits expect child benefit that every mother receives working or not until last year which resulted in me getting a paycut and loss of hours and debts piling up in that case I had to turn to the social for help so this mean im lazy and dont deserve any help from the government to which I paid my taxes for a good 10 years???? I was offered a social house and took it and the way I saw it is its getting me on the property ladder i might not own it now but i will when im in a financial position to do so. Anyone can apply for social housing just will take longer if your in lesser need of it and your rent is calculated by your pay!!

So if i posted this before i took my house what would people of said....oh get a job or oh your working you should just rent and leave it for the less fortunate people ... who?? the people who wont get up off there arse and look for a job never mind work??? You can work and be less fortunate!

Every person is entitled to help off that sham of a government...I do work and i worked hard to get where i am and whether im working or not i am entitled to that house and at least paying the corporation the money is staying in your community NOT dead money going to a landlord that you will have no come back on!

so judging someone just because they have be offered a council house and has a partner and family is very shallow and all i can say is no wonder our country is in the state its in with people like that living in it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Council accommodation, it is seen as a dirty thing in this country. "Sure isn't she from a council estate, they are only dragged up there" is a comment I have heard said about me because of my childhood.

But I knew all of my neighbours, and for the most part you could depend on most of them and the most of them were good, and hard working people! They were all low income jobs so usually my estate would be alive with people going to work early in the day, about 6-7 am, and yes there was the dole spongers who never worked, but they were less frequent than you would think.

My park had 45 houses, and only about 7-8 were occupied by people who were not working!

People in Ireland have got notions of their status compared to those around them these days. Just because you got a 5 bedroomed house for your 3 person family, with a garage, a conservatory, 6 bathrooms and 2 sitting rooms does not mean you are better than anyone else.

Congrats for earning enough to pay for it, but here's something to ask yourself, can you go to your next door neighbour for a cup of tea at 4 in the day and end up staying until about 8 having a good chat and getting fed by them, only to return the deed later that week, because that was my upbringing. We used have the front door slightly ajar when we were home and our friends didn't even have to knock! I am not ashamed of my background and no person on an internet forum is going to make me feel any other way about my life! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 daisydais

I totally agree...I was brought up on a council estate and would not of changed it for the world....my parents took that house with 3 young kids and i have the utmost respect for them and them bringin me up in a council estate made no difference I was still thought about morals value and respect which many ppl on this thread have shown lack off....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Graces7 wrote: »
    I gather that Cork is the worst place for delays re RA.

Hi- I was talking to a few people working in assessment in Dublin- and they said that parts of Dublin (notably Fingal) have by far the longest lists awaiting assessment in the country at present. What is the story with Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

daisydais wrote: »
    I'm really shocked and surprised at the ignorance of some people on this thread, as people have been saying you dont no what this persons situation is???

I'm a single parent didnt receive any benefits expect child benefit that every mother receives working or not until last year which resulted in me getting a paycut and loss of hours and debts piling up in that case I had to turn to the social for help so this mean im lazy and dont deserve any help from the government to which I paid my taxes for a good 10 years???? I was offered a social house and took it and the way I saw it is its getting me on the property ladder i might not own it now but i will when im in a financial position to do so. Anyone can apply for social housing just will take longer if your in lesser need of it and your rent is calculated by your pay!!

So if i posted this before i took my house what would people of said....oh get a job or oh your working you should just rent and leave it for the less fortunate people ... who?? the people who wont get up off there arse and look for a job never mind work??? You can work and be less fortunate!

Every person is entitled to help off that sham of a government...I do work and i worked hard to get where i am and whether im working or not i am entitled to that house and at least paying the corporation the money is staying in your community NOT dead money going to a landlord that you will have no come back on!

so judging someone just because they have be offered a council house and has a partner and family is very shallow and all i can say is no wonder our country is in the state its in with people like that living in it!!

No one should be entitled to a (pretty much) free house. Rent allowance, possibly. A house to stay in while you get on your feet and pay a portion towards, yes. A FREE house. Enititled. I don't think so. This is what is wrong with our country, people thinking they are entitled to everything. Just because you paid your taxes (like the rest of us I might add) does not entitle you to a free house.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Monife wrote: »
    No one should be entitled to a (pretty much) free house. Rent allowance, possibly. A house to stay in while you get on your feet and pay a portion towards, yes. A FREE house. Enititled. I don't think so. This is what is wrong with our country, people thinking they are entitled to everything. Just because you paid your taxes (like the rest of us I might add) does not entitle you to a free house.

where on gods green earth do you get the notion that the house is FREE!!! you say the poster should possibly be entitled to rent allowance but not this so called free house!!

well. rent allowance is paid to you when you are in private rented accommodation to enable you to pay your landlord to live in the house. some people are on incomes so low that the rent allowance covers all of their rent (surely that is a FREE house too then!! - and don't even start).

living in social housing you pay rent to the local authority who own the house. every week. now the rent may not be as high as it would if you are living in a private rent, but it is the same thing as rent allowance. the reason the rent is lower is because it is like a subsidised rent. you pay what you can afford. so it works out the same as someone living in private rented accommodation and claiming rent allowance.

the poster is NOT living in a FREE house. nothing in this country is free. i think you have a cheek to say that they don't deserve it. if you suddenly found yourself in a position where you needed housing or something similar i am sure you would start on about how you deserve it because you paid taxes for x number of years.

i cannot believe how ignorant and ungrateful, forgetful and bigheaded with an overinflated sense of worth a lot of people in this country have become. there were times when we were as poor as a thirdworld country. workhouses, famine and death. and just because for a few years we seemed to have some good fortune (which turned out to be wrong, we should have still been managing the money) and in turn some people became better off they think they are gods gift and have the right to **** on people less fortunate than them. disgusts me. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭clouds

God, I'd be embarrassed to comment so smugly on something I know nothing about.

hdowney wrote: »
    where on gods green earth do you get the notion that the house is FREE!!! you say the poster should possibly be entitled to rent allowance but not this so called free house!!

well. rent allowance is paid to you when you are in private rented accommodation to enable you to pay your landlord to live in the house. some people are on incomes so low that the rent allowance covers all of their rent (surely that is a FREE house too then!! - and don't even start).

living in social housing you pay rent to the local authority who own the house. every week. now the rent may not be as high as it would if you are living in a private rent, but it is the same thing as rent allowance. the reason the rent is lower is because it is like a subsidised rent. you pay what you can afford. so it works out the same as someone living in private rented accommodation and claiming rent allowance.

the poster is NOT living in a FREE house. nothing in this country is free. i think you have a cheek to say that they don't deserve it. if you suddenly found yourself in a position where you needed housing or something similar i am sure you would start on about how you deserve it because you paid taxes for x number of years.

i cannot believe how ignorant and ungrateful, forgetful and bigheaded with an overinflated sense of worth a lot of people in this country have become. there were times when we were as poor as a thirdworld country. workhouses, famine and death. and just because for a few years we seemed to have some good fortune (which turned out to be wrong, we should have still been managing the money) and in turn some people became better off they think they are gods gift and have the right to **** on people less fortunate than them. disgusts me. :mad:

I did not say it was free, I said it was pretty much free. People in council accomodation pay very little towards the rent. I am not sh**ting on anybody and certainly do not think I am gods gift. I am not that well off either. I am living in a studio and have little or no income after rent and bills to spend on luxuries, like a trip to the cinema or a night out. If I was in a similar situation I would not say that I deserve a pretty much free house but I would pursue same as this country allows you to do so.

I am entitled to my opinion and there is no need to be calling me every name under the sun. I have not called the OP nor anyone on this thread any names.

• Advertisement

Monife it's a place to live for a mother and child. What would you do differently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Squirm

Sorry Monife, but it is pretty clear that you don't know much about this. Rent Allowance is regularly as large a figure as one would be paying to rent the council house. My cousin, for exampe, recieves E800 per month to rent her apt in Bray, Co. Wicklow. Would it not be preferable that she receive state housing and that her money and the money the State are now saving (as she is no longer in receipt of RA), not go to a landlord but rather go back to the State?!

Also, when you say that the houses are "practically free", what are you basing this on?? Perhaps they are practically free to you, but the rent is means tested based on the inhabitants income. If they receive the dole the rent might be only E30 a month... If they have a job the rent might be E400 a month, so long as it is affordable to that person. What if the difference between someone earning E2000 a month and paying E1000 rent and someone earning E200 a month and paying E100?? It's still 50% of their earnings, do you see where I'm going with this? Wealth is subjective and the value of a euro is not the same to everyone.

Also, when all housing developments MUST include a percentage of social housing (20%), why on earth NOT give these houses to deserving parties??

Would you object to a blind, elderly or disabled person person receiving State assistance? What makes a single mother any more capable of working, if she cannot afford childcare??

Finally, this is a welfare state and PAYE would suggest that you ARE entitles to receive assistance from the State when in need.

This thread is actually beginning to sicken me. I had no idea that we were living in such an ignorant and self-absorbed society.

clouds wrote: »
    Monife it's a place to live for a mother and child. What would you do differently?

To be frank, (and I am going to be quite frank and will probably be attacked but tbh I don't give a f**k) I would not let myself get in a situation where I had children and no money. Being with my partner, whoever has the better chance of getting a job, we would search high and low for a job. If I decided to have children, I would make sure I am in a job (with income protection should I lose the job) and have plenty of savings.

Btw, I would love to have children with my fiancé now, would also love a wedding, but we just don't have the money.

Squirm wrote: »
    Would you object to a blind, elderly or disabled person person receiving State assistance? What makes a single mother any more capable of working, if she cannot afford childcare??

Finally, this is a welfare state and PAYE would suggest that you ARE entitles to receive assistance from the State when in need.

1. She is not a single mother. She lives with her partner.
    2. Yes entitled to assistance when we need it, but not for a life long term. I am all for assistance when in need of it hence why I said that she could be given a council house for a while to give her time to get on her feet, but for life, no I do not believe we should be entitled to that. It just promotes lazy-ness and doesn't give people the proper kick they need to have a bit of ambition to do something with their lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sk89

SUZY316 wrote: »
    Hello i'm a 33 year old women settled the my partner and 3 kids in waterford, today we got a letter from the council saying we were offered a house :), we were delighted until we found out the neighbors:eek:. a single mother/druggie who has wild partys with her 4 kids there plus she has her boyfriend living on the sly with her Who is a career criminal ,No joking this man is scum drug dealer convicted suspect in several shootings and got with stolen guns after breaking into a farmers house . this man is no stranger to jail .:(

So here's my problem's PLEASE/ADVISE ME :confused:

1) If i refuse will my rent allowance be taking off me ?

2)Will i get another offer as the is a few house empty at the minute

3) Will i be taken of the list ?

Thank you !

Half of those replys have no idea about social housing and who is entitled to them... in cork you will be offered three houses before you will be put back on the list... I am awaiting a social house I am currently working part time and attending college part time my partner is working full time.. we have one child and work around her with our work and studies... I am entitled to social housing... I know plenty ofpeople that refused their first offer and were offered a better place the second time around.. I also know of people whos offers got worse... I would not accept a house in an area like this.. You will be paying rent on the house and are entitled to raise your children in a nicer area than this one. You will not lose your rent allowance as far as I know... i am not recieving rent allowance at the moment so I wouldn't be sure about that.. as for the other posters who have no idea who this woman is or what her circimstances are stop being so judgemental,,, a lot of people cannot afford to get a mortgage in this current climate.. If you were to find your circumstances change for whatever reason you may also be in need of rent allowance or other such benefits.. in this day an age with the everything that is going on in this country you would think you would be more acceptant and less judgemental.. the woman just asked a question a valid one at that if you were not going to answer the question why reply??? especially when half of yey know nothing about social housing or how the system works...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

Squirm wrote: »
    Sorry Monife, but it is pretty clear that you don't know much about this. Rent Allowance is regularly as large a figure as one would be paying to rent the council house. My cousin, for exampe, recieves E800 per month to rent her apt in Bray, Co. Wicklow. Would it not be preferable that she receive state housing and that her money and the money the State are now saving (as she is no longer in receipt of RA), not go to a landlord but rather go back to the State?!

Also, when you say that the houses are "practically free", what are you basing this on?? Perhaps they are practically free to you, but the rent is means tested based on the inhabitants income. If they receive the dole the rent might be only E30 a month... If they have a job the rent might be E400 a month, so long as it is affordable to that person. What if the difference between someone earning E2000 a month and paying E1000 rent and someone earning E200 a month and paying E100?? It's still 50% of their earnings, do you see where I'm going with this? Wealth is subjective and the value of a euro is not the same to everyone.

Also, when all housing developments MUST include a percentage of social housing (20%), why on earth NOT give these houses to deserving parties??

This thread is actually beginning to sicken me. I had no idea that we were living in such an ignorant and self-absorbed society.

in case you have not noticed this is a bankrupt welfare state heading for default , its also a state paying 2-3x times the welfare rates of our European neighbours , WE CANNOT AFFORD IT any longer , we are exporting 1000+ of our best and brightest every week while our generational welfare scroungers continue to expect cradle to the grave support from the hard pressed taxpayers , if you have worked and contributed then you should get short term support for 2 years , after that it should reduce until after 5 years you get food stamps only , and saying my council house is not entirely suitable for my needs means you get to learn the joys of camping

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

To be frank, (and I am going to be quite frank and will probably be attacked but tbh I don't give a f**k) I would not let myself get in a situation where I had children and no money. Being with my partner, whoever has the better chance of getting a job, we would search high and low for a job. If I decided to have children, I would make sure I am in a job (with income protection should I lose the job) and have plenty of savings.

Fúck me! You read some shít on these forums.

Unless you are in a quite extraordinarily privileged position, how can you possibly claim this?
    Fair enough you might not have a child unless things are going well workwise and whatnot, but good luck to you finding income protection in todays economic climate, or in fact in any climate, that will last for an 18-20 year timespan. No one knows whats around the corner, you're no exception.
    It probably sounded better in your head, but what you've just said is total bollox!

Btw, I would love to have children with my fiancé now, would also love a wedding, but we just don't have the money.

Are you still a virgin Monife? You must be. I hope someday you'll earn enough to afford sex with the man you love.

How does income protection work then? Does it pay you your wages for ever and ever and ever or however long it is recessions last for? What does 'searching high and low for a job' mean? Is it different to what most people normally do, the paper, the jobs websites, handing round cv's, asking around, registering with agencies?

So what would you do if your fiance tickled you the right way and then f'ked off leaving you with a child? It happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Graces7 wrote: »
    I am not asking for "sympathy" so please stop the patronising. And ther eis no "plight": I am no different from thousands of others... My life is fine if limited, as I clearly said. But with any less money?

This is an perfect example of what SMCarrick reffered to when he said peoples expectations of what is a basic standard of living and what is a luxury has been lost recently.

you say you have a limited but fine life but question how you would live with less money. you could perhaps start by getting rid of your internet bill, internet is a luxury that somebody on benefits shouldnt expect to have, as is television, radio etc.

benefits should help, feed, heat, put clothes on somebodies back and a roof over their head. Nothing more.

Its not a snobbory thing its people assuming they should have X,Y, & Z because they think they are entitled.

No need to be getting so personal.........

There are those of us out there who consciously are stopping after 1-2 kids, or not having kids at all, because we can't afford it. Certainly it takes planning- however taking care of children is possibly the biggest responsibility that anyone can ever undertake- and deserves to be planned ahead as best people possibly can.

There will always be unforeseen events- redundancy, ill health etc- that people genuinely cannot see in their futures, until they get walloped with them. In cases like that- certainly there should be help available for a limited period of time to assist the person come to terms with their new situations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

...and the handbags are out...
    SUZY316 wrote: »
    we were delighted until we found out the neighbors:eek:. a single mother/druggie who has wild partys with her 4 kids there plus she has her boyfriend living on the sly with her Who is a career criminal ,No joking this man is scum drug dealer convicted suspect in several shootings and got with stolen guns after breaking into a farmers house . this man is no stranger to jail .:(
    Who told you all of this? The previous occupant? Someone who wants the house instead of you?

I've said this before and I'll say it again.

EVERYBODY thas a sense of entitlement. TD's think they're entitled to severence pay, and 2 or 3 pensions, for example. WE ALL will take what we can for a comfortable life for ourselves and our children. Human nature. Why is it a big deal when it's those at the lower end of the scale exhibitin g the same nature as everyone else does? should they be somehow more noble, more sacrificing then those better off?

D3PO wrote: »
    Its not a snobbory thing its people assuming they should have X,Y, & Z because they think they are entitled.

Exactly.
    Even those of us who are in fulltime employment may not have the opportunity to go out, to smoke, to drink, to have Sky subscriptions, to have a new car, to have private healthcare etc......

When the going gets tough- people need to sit down and prioritise. What is a basic necessity, what is a need, what is a want? Just because folk are used to getting what they wanted either handed to them, or were in a position to satisfy those wants from their incomes- does not mean their 'wants' are entitlements, on the contrary- fulfilling some 'wants' can be entirely counter productive.

I don't know whether people heard the interview on Radio 1 yesterday- where there were a number of supermarket employees talking about handing in their notice, as they don't see why they should work when they're no better off than on social welfare- and if they were on social welfare they'd also get a medical card........ Something is seriously wrong there.........

Why is it a big deal when it's those at the lower end of the scale exhibitin g the same nature as everyone else does? should they be somehow more noble, more sacrificing then those better off?

Why do you imagine that those at the lower end of the scale are being treated in a manner worse that those in employment? Quite simply- they're not. Those on social welfare and pensioners- have been relatively insulated from the crap that is flying around. Sure- 'bonus' payments at Christmas were cancelled- and there were some limited reductions in benefits- but if you compare this to the manner in which the net take-home-pay of an average person has been savaged- you'd be relieved that you haven't been affected in a similar manner.

EVERYBODY thas a sense of entitlement. TD's think they're entitled to severence pay, and 2 or 3 pensions, for example. WE ALL will take what we can for a comfortable life for ourselves and our children. Human nature. Why is it a big deal when it's those at the lower end of the scale exhibitin g the same nature as everyone else does? should they be somehow more noble, more sacrificing then those better off?

The simple fact of the matter is- regardless of people's sense of entitlement- we're spending 16 billion a year (totally ignoring the banks etc) more than we're getting in taxation. We, as a nation, cannot afford to satisfy anyone's sense of entitlement- from the top or from the bottom.

Things are not going to be about comfort in future here- they are going to be about- putting a roof over our heads and food on our tables. The roof will be whatever is available- and the food will be healthy- but by god all the frills that everyone is used to- will fall by the wayside........

Its all well and good to bitch and moan about how the taxpayers are bailing out the banks- and so the taxpayers are- however the fact of the matter is that even if the bankers were out of the equation altogether- we, as a country, have totally lost the run of ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

smccarrick wrote: »
    Exactly.
    Even those of us who are in fulltime employment may not have the opportunity to go out, to smoke, to drink, to have Sky subscriptions, to have a new car, to have private healthcare etc......

exactly. As taxes have increased etc. many have had to make financial decisions to cut their cloth to size.

That is what people expect of those on benefits also. Your not insulated from having a reduction in your living standards any more than I or anybody else is provided you still have the basics covered (food, clothes, heat, housing)

Smmcarrick, the numbers are one thing and they speak for themselves. They don't lie. There NEEDS to be reform of the welfare system of course there does.
    My point is why the horrible snide sneery tone from so many about those who are worse off? That's what maddens me. That horrible gleeful scorn and sense of superiority. Can't let it go, I'm afraid.

Re the savaging of the average worker. I know all about it. I've been made redundant once this recession, no redundancy pay there only 23 months. Got a part time job, got let go, got another job at 60% pay of my original job, not in what I studied for, now hours being cut there. Luckily my partner still works and has suffered nothing worse than the new taxes and no question of a pay rise. We have a (4 yr old! ha) mortgage and children. I don't need to be told about the plight of the ordinary private sector worker.

But it doesn't blind me to other peoples difficulties. I don't think they're lazy & unambitious, who shouldn't have sex in case they conceive and whose kids aren't worthy of protection from scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

God, I'd be embarrassed to comment so smugly on something I know nothing about.

Good thing your reply wasn't 10x as smug then, eh? :rolleyes:

--I deleted this because I was being a b!tch-- Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

My partner and i are in full time employment and cannot afford to have kids but would love to some day, however as tax payers we are expected pay for people who bring kids into this world with no thought as to how they are going to house/feed or clothe them.....people who cannot afford to have kids should learn about contraception!
    I know of 2 single women who had kids to get a council house, they are out every weekend and took their kids to Disneyland while my partner and i work 90+ hrs per week to keep them in the lifestyle they're entilted to....! where is the fairness in this?:confused:
    PS i interviewed people for positions last week and 2 of them told me in the interview that it wasn't worth their while and they'd be better of on the dole. The start rate is almost €10 per hr. I also had one who had been on the dole for years told me he didn't do "manual work":mad:

• Advertisement

Skittles I just can't see how you can't afford to have kids on 2 wages. Your job sounds fairly senior if you're interviewing people. Can you explain a bit more of what you mean?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement