Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UCC 'Off-Topic' Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Crosswalk wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to cite a quotation from a book that was taken from a website rather than the actual book? I don't have the History departmental handbook to hand and Google brought up nothing. :(

According to the Chicago Manual of Style the preferred method of citation is to the original source: "With all reuse of others' materials, it is important to identify the original as the source. This...helps avoid any accusation of plagiarism...To cite a source from a secondary source ('quoted in...') is generally to be discouraged...."

tl;dr: Cite the original book and not the website, just make sure that the website is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Does anyone know how to cite a quotation from a book that was taken from a website rather than the actual book? I don't have the History departmental handbook to hand and Google brought up nothing. :(

Refer the book if it was from google books or something. Is the book 'scanned' up online?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Another study week successfully wasted :(.

Happy Christmas all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

Happy Christmas all. :)

grinch.jpg

Oh hai der!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

I have no motivation to do my two essays by the time I get back to college. WHY DID I CHOOSE COASTAL GEOMORPHOLOGY AS A MODULE?! WHYYYYYYY :(:( distress

I met the elusive Eliot today. :eek:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Elusive indeed, I ran off as soon as he had his back turned! :p

Poor enough lecture I thought.

Elusive indeed, I ran off as soon as he had his back turned! :p

Poor enough lecture I thought.

Yeah it was pretty straight forward alright. I took some notes on the criticisms but not much overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Hey Byron, was that you getting chatted up by a crazy woman in town today? Think I recognised you from the Express newspaper. She said you had a pretty face and started taking pictures of everyone including me. :D

I hope I have the right person, or this post just looks wierd. :eek:

• Advertisement

Rosicky7 wrote: »
    Hey Byron, was that you getting chatted up by a crazy woman in town today? Think I recognised you from the Express newspaper. She said you had a pretty face and started taking pictures of everyone including me. :D

You're right. That post was weird. I'm not the Byron you're thinking of. I do have a pretty face though.

Speaking of meeting other boardsies, I'm fairly saw Crosswalk and the Wrench within minutes of each other the other day. Was odd.

Speaking of meeting other boardsies, I'm fairly saw Crosswalk and the Wrench within minutes of each other the other day. Was odd.

I never see you around actually. You stuck in the library these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Crosswalk

We should start a Spotted in UCC thread. Bonus points if you spot a boardsie skulking around outside that weird room in the Kane building. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Byron85 wrote: »
    You're right. That post was weird. I'm not the Byron you're thinking of. I do have a pretty face though.

Oh right. . . Sorry. :o

I never see you around actually. You stuck in the library these days?

Yep mostly. Trying to get essay done. That and Facebook. :P. Although I saw your back and the swaying hair at the end of last term though. Made my 2010.
    We should start a Spotted in UCC thread. Bonus points if you spot a boardsie skulking around outside that weird room in the Kane building. :p

I'd win that hands down I think. I've seen rebel_girl_15, Papa_Lazarou, titan18 and Buceph as well as yourself and Knife-Wrench in three days.

I know too many Boardsies. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Biffman

Rosicky7 wrote: »

That was me! I'm quite sick of the username mistake happening, but I do accept that imitation is the highest form of flattery so I'll let it pass.

Did she say that?! I don't remember that but I remember her taking pictures. Bloody mentalist. I think she'd been kicked off the bus or something. I was happy at first cos I felt like a celebrity but then I had to ask her to stop. She was crying and stuff, it wasn't pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Typical simpleton question here. I got an essay back with the mark "D". I thought the marking system was different at college? One tutor says I failed and another says I passed, so whats the story? :confused:

Typical simpleton question here. I got an essay back with the mark "D". I thought the marking system was different at college? One tutor says I failed and another says I passed, so whats the story? :confused:

That's a pass.

In the library on the side facing the Quad, why on Q+2 are there no windows? On 1 I think and 3 for sure there are windows. None on 2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

Is there a microwave for student use anywhere in UCC? I haven't seen one around, but maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

Didn't seem worthy of its own thread somehow, so I'll put my query here :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

I think there's one in the student common room.

EDIT: I'm right: http://collegeroad.ie/services/union-services/common-room.html

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

Nice one, cheers, my searches yielded nothing. Must try harder!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

There's a guy a few seats down from me in Boole who is clip-clopping his jaw in tandem with grinding his teeth. I think he may come to harm :mad:

Why does he need a soundtrack to a Sunday in the library created by his own face?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 UCC Philosoph

This Monday, February 7th the Philosoph are hosting a Charity Table Quiz in the New Bar at 19.30.

On Wednesday, February 9th, Alastair Campbell, Director of Communications and Strategies for Prime Minister Tony Blair is addressing the Philosoph and EandS Society in Devere Hall at 11am. Campbell is an amazing speaker and obvisously an exteremely interesting person with extrordinary experiences behind him. He will be signing copies of his book The Alastair Campbell Diaries after the address. Everyone is welcome so make sure to come along!

This Monday, February 7th the Philosoph are hosting a Charity Table Quiz in the New Bar at 19.30.

On Wednesday, February 9th, Alastair Campbell, Director of Communications and Strategies for Prime Minister Tony Blair is addressing the Philosoph and EandS Society in Devere Hall at 11am. Campbell is an amazing speaker and obvisously an exteremely interesting person with extrordinary experiences behind him. He will be signing copies of his book The Alastair Campbell Diaries after the address. Everyone is welcome so make sure to come along!

Amazing speaker, complicit in the murder of thousands of Iraqi civilians; but who's splitting hairs eh?

Amazing speaker, complicit in the murder of thousands of Iraqi civilians; but who's splitting hairs eh?

What'd he do?

What'd he do?

Blair's press secretary and director of communications.
    In the runup to the Iraq War Campbell was involved in the preparation and release of the "September Dossier" in September 2002 and the "Iraq Dossier" in February 2003. These documents argued the case for concern over possible weapons of mass destruction (WMDs) in Iraq. Both have been criticized as overstating or distorting the actual intelligence findings. Subsequent investigation revealed that the September Dossier had been altered, on Campbell's orders, to be consistent with a speech given by George W. Bush and statements by other United States officials. On 9 September 2002, Campbell sent a memo to John Scarlett, the chairman of the Joint Intelligence Committee, in which Campbell directed that the British dossier be "one that complements rather than conflicts with" the U.S. claims.[14]

As far as i'm concerned, the man is a vile human being who is responsible the deaths of innocents, no ifs ands or buts about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

I'm sure I saw some people from boards.ie at the arts ball?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Crosswalk

If you have a lecturer who is just plain terrible and the majority of the class think so is there actually anything you can do about it? I've just stopped going to lectures and started reading the recommended books for the hour I should be listening to him fumble over his lecture notes so I'm not too bothered about it but I was just interested to know if there actually is a procedure you can go through?

Advertisement