Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Bodybuilding a Sport?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Lantus wrote: »
    I think it is a sport in the sense that olympic lifting would be considered BB by most people. But there ae too many activites that are labelled as sports that are not and more join them every year as people campaign to get their hobbies listed as olympic events. Labels...

You can't compare Olympic weightlifting and bodybuilding. I don't know of anyone who thinks weightlifting is bodybuilding on viewing the sport. The terms might be used interchangeably by people who don't know much about weightlifting but that doesn't mean they are similar. That's just ignorance.

There is a huge skill element to weightlifting which isn't present at all in bodybuilding, comparing the two is a bit foolish actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Ironman collie- no one is disrespecting the dedication, training or discipline needed to be a competitive bodybuilder. The debate is whether it's a sport. The reason I don't think it's a sport is because you are not really competing against anyone else. You're really just being the best you can be. If someone is better than you in boxing, you can get a lucky knockout, if another soccer team is better, you can get a lucky penalty.

If someone's better than you on the stage, there is no skill, tactic or formation that will disguise the fact that he is better than you.

That's what makes it a pastime IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Ironman collie- no one is disrespecting the dedication, training or discipline needed to be a competitive bodybuilder. The debate is whether it's a sport. The reason I don't think it's a sport is because you are not really competing against anyone else. You're really just being the best you can be. If someone is better than you in boxing, you can get a lucky knockout, if another soccer team is better, you can get a lucky penalty.

If someone's better than you on the stage, there is no skill, tactic or formation that will disguise the fact that he is better than you.

What about hiding weakpoints or emphasising strengths in callouts?

What about hiding weakpoints or emphasising strengths in callouts?

Accepted, but still not a skill. Not comparable to a 147 in snooker, 180 in darts or a hole in one in golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dantes87

Accepted, but still not a skill. Not comparable to a 147 in snooker, 180 in darts or a hole in one in golf.

Darts is not a sport, especially not if bodybuilding isn't either.

Sport should have a physical element and variables. Darts pretty much has neither

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

Ironman Collie, I really wouldn't mind most of this, you certainly shouldn't feel hurt.

Some can argue they're not, but many are just compelled (and content) to snipe, to varying degrees, at efforts/feats/motivations they can't really fathom.

I'm not really at all into BB and personally find a lot of the usual aesthetics fairly unappealing but yeah, tonnes of respect for anyone who's able to/inclined to/disciplined enough to compete at it.
    Not a "sport"? Don't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 368 ✭✭Ironman Collie

Hi Davestator,

Thanks for your comments.

Whereas the sports you mentioned are highly visible in terms of competition, bodybuilding is equally so, it is just that you can't see it in a goal or a knockout. Let me explain, bodybuilders in competition know their competition each year in the form of their rival competitors and due to the small changes that can be achieved each year in your body's structure when you get to a certain mass, you need to be very careful when you make changes to your bodys structure, take for example Ronnie Coleman, 8 times Mr. Olympia (bodybuilding's world cup) during his later reign he had very tight competition from a number of competitors and he had to tighten up areas of his body even at his development to stay on top as the other competitors improved their weakpoints to a par or better than Ronnie's, not only in the Olympia but this goes for all bodybuilding comps. He had to train his body to COMPETE against the few at the top of his sport, every competitive bodybuilder does the same, just like in any sport, you know who is your competition and you train to beat them.

Believe me bodybuilding is extremely competitive to those who are involved.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭flyer88

yes it is competitive...like everything else. But at the end of the day it cannot simply qualify as a sport..!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

mloc wrote: »
    What about the skill in getting to know your body?

Masterbation is a sport? :confused:

• Advertisement

@ ironman collie. I've trained with a lot of lads who were competing over the years and usually they haven't a clue about who's entering. Maybe that's just them! I'd assume the higher the level, the more lads would know their competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

My job is in a very competitive industry, I work very hard and I strive to be the very best at what I do.

I guess that makes me a business athlete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I don't personally like bodybuilding, I think it's ridiculous. I 'admire' the dedication and time it takes become the best but for me it all boils down to taking your body to a stupid extreme to look pretty in your underwear for a few minutes. I can't give anyone serious credit for dedicating their life to such a goal.

I wonder at what point would you say a bodybuilder is someone with mental/self image problems that has an outlet (with the overtones of health attached) for it/them? Do I wrongly accuse them when placed against say.... the best marathon runners or Ironman competitors?

I don't personally like bodybuilding, I think it's ridiculous. I 'admire' the dedication and time it takes become the best but for me it all boils down to taking your body to a stupid extreme to look pretty in your underwear for a few minutes. I can't give anyone serious credit for dedicating their life to such a goal.

As a teen, I used to be mad into bodybuilding about 20 years ago. I always got the impression that the contests were merely the icing on the cake for the professionals. The main thing was the lifestyle - as in the dedication, the comradery, the gains made in the off-season, the goal setting etc.
    I wonder at what point would you say a bodybuilder is someone with mental/self image problems that has an outlet (with the overtones of health attached) for it/them? Do I wrongly accuse them when placed against say.... the best marathon runners or Ironman competitors?

I'd guess that the average person on the street has the same problem relating to an Ironman competitor as they do a bodybuilder. They can't understand what would motivate someone to work so hard for a goal they themselves do not value at all. So they tend to dismiss the activities and belittle those who partake in them.

Its not a sport end of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

it is a sport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

My ans is yes But you gonna have to take steroids if you wanna get massive end of story doesn't matter how good your Genitics are,
    I have been a member of a few Gyms & their is always guys tellin me if I need any Juice let me know, Creatine will only get you so far but if you wanna get proper big Dbol etc is the only way apparently, (but its not for me) :)

SIX PACK wrote: »
    My ans is yes But you gonna have to take steroids if you wanna get massive end of story doesn't matter how good your Genitics are,
    I have been a member of a few Gyms & their is always guys tellin me if I need any Juice let me know, Creatine will only get you so far but if you wanna get proper big Dbol etc is the only way apparently, (but its not for me) :)

I demand that you increase your posting frequency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Oh right okay I see what's happening now, you just don't understand what skill is.

For something to be a skill from a sporting point if view, there has to be a variable. On one end of the scale, a variable would be an opponent trying to stop you from doing whatever it is you're trying to do. On the other end would be wind for example.

So for a bodybuilder, all of the lifting in the gym is free of skill, that's just technique applied. In the kitchen for the rigid diets, that's discipline and knowledge, and in terms of optmising their drug taking, that's also just knowledge and of course access. On stage for posing, the only variables would be nerves, experience etc. which only the most anal of individuals would derive the term skill from.

So when people ask me if it's a sport, I say no. Not because I dislike bodybuilding, but because I simply can't stand to compare Brian O'Driscoll taking a ball in full flight with someone standing still and clenching.

olympic lweightlifting or powerlifting have no variables as you describe them are they sports? and pole vault, hammer throw, javelin, discus or even running ona track have few if any variable these days especially indoors so are indoor track and field sporting events?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Bodybuilding as a spectacle is enjoyable

as a method to help people drop fat and get in shape its not the best approach

Its a sport for those that compete at it IMO

Transform wrote: »

Its a sport for those that compete at it IMO

If i could thank that twice i would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭superfish

of course its a sport I bet half the people who commented have never seen the inside of a gym in their life. what defines an athlete, a being of superior strength and endurance id like to see anyone here do a full squats session or even try a few reps on bench at 140 to 160 kg, see if after doing this you still think its not a sport

superfish wrote: »
    of course its a sport I bet half the people who commented have never seen the inside of a gym in their life. what defines an athlete, a being of superior strength and endurance id like to see anyone here do a full squats session or even try a few reps on bench at 140 to 160 kg, see if after doing this you still think its not a sport

What a silly post considering some of the people who have posted in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

Posing doesn't involve any skill?? Tell that to Kai Greene, Lee Labrada, Melvin Anthony or Vince Taylor.

Or does this need an "Is Posing A Skill?" thread? :D

No....ur all gays if ye think bodybuilding is a sport

Infracted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

The ulitmate sport if this article is to be believed.
    http://www.mensjournal.com/everything-you-know-about-fitness-is-a-lie/1

Thats a load of bs and u know it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

If bodybuidling is truly a sport then so is Miss World and Rose of Tralee.

All of the above are judged on aesthetic qualities ONLY. You cannot seperate one from the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

It is most definitely a sport.

Posing on stage is actually very hard - hard even for someone who is not slightly dehydrated and hungry!

An additional question is when do you become a bodybuilder - only when you step on stage or when you start training in the gym?

The Guvnor wrote: »
    An additional question is when do you become a bodybuilder - only when you step on stage or when you start training in the gym?

If it's the latter, then everyone who posts on this forum is a bodybuilder....

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭itsgrand

If bodybuidling is truly a sport then so is Miss World and Rose of Tralee.

All of the above are judged on aesthetic qualities ONLY. You cannot seperate one from the other.

Don't the girls from the Rose of Tralee have to show good personality? and talent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

SanoVitae wrote: »
    If it's the latter, then everyone who posts on this forum is a bodybuilder....

Therein lies the dilemma/debate! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Stevo1011

I see it more as a hobby. If someone asked me if i played any sports i'd never answer yeah i do bodybuilding. Granted i don't compete so i don't have that angle to defend it from.

I want to get into bodybuilding, im at a gym but dont seem to get any results so i cant be doing a good routine.

Are there any specific gyms or personal trainers for people wanting to get into bodybuilding? thx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭COH

Stevo1011 wrote: »
    I want to get into bodybuilding, im at a gym but dont seem to get any results so i cant be doing a good routine.

Are there any specific gyms or personal trainers for people wanting to get into bodybuilding? thx

Tommy Staunton does personal training out of RAW.. I can PM you his number if you like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWpUzgO2f3g

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Stevo1011

yea please, thanks

The Guvnor wrote: »

Posing on stage is actually very hard - hard even for someone who is not slightly dehydrated and hungry!

Posing on stage is very hard?!? It may well be and I dont doubt that a tremendous amount of effort goes into it in preperation. But so do the girls in any beauty contest. I'm sure they would argue that what they do is difficult in terms of preperation and developing personality as someone else said (a type of training.)

But ultimately the winners and losers are judged on aesthetic qualities which are completely subjective and personal to one persons perspective. They change with fashion and trends and can be influenced or changed by small factors, again all subjective. Given a different set of judges a completely different set of results could conceivably be obtained for each competition which as a competition is fine, but as a sport seems wrong.

I believe that a sport should have a measurable and definable quantity which can seperate individuals or teams through achievment and prowess whether that be mental or physical.

Ultimately it comes down to labels. If people real feel they need to have BB listed as a sport then they will advocate such but I dont think it either should be or can be if it continues to be based on subjective and personal opinions.

Posing on stage is very hard?!? It may well be and I dont doubt that a tremendous amount of effort goes into it in preperation. But so do the girls in any beauty contest. I'm sure they would argue that what they do is difficult in terms of preperation and developing personality as someone else said (a type of training.)

But ultimately the winners and losers are judged on aesthetic qualities which are completely subjective and personal to one persons perspective. They change with fashion and trends and can be influenced or changed by small factors, again all subjective. Given a different set of judges a completely different set of results could conceivably be obtained for each competition which as a competition is fine, but as a sport seems wrong.

I believe that a sport should have a measurable and definable quantity which can seperate individuals or teams through achievment and prowess whether that be mental or physical.

Ultimately it comes down to labels. If people real feel they need to have BB listed as a sport then they will advocate such but I dont think it either should be or can be if it continues to be based on subjective and personal opinions.

The above could be applied to any sport with judges.

A fair point as it would include many things like figure skating, snowboarding, gymnastics etc some of which are olympic events which we would probably take for granted. However, these events do require the user to perform technical acts of great skill unlike posing, which you cannot argue is as hard as doing multiple back flips on a 2 inch beam for example.

They are still measured on subjective elements though.

I would propose that sport is catagorised into several elements.

1/ Points or score based where judges and referees are used to uphold the rules only. e.g. football, racing, darts.
    2/ points based awarded by judges based on technical prowess. e.g. figure skating and gymnastics.
    3/ Points based awarded by judges based on aesthetic qualities. e.g. body building & Miss world.

I'm not saying that one's better than the other but it doesn't try to say that all sports are equal because clearly they are not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

I hope some of you were watching Louis Theroux's Weird Weekends Bodybuilding yesterday!

I can't see how it is a sport, but I can't find an argument to prove it's not one... well not a good one

You're a bodybuilder when you compete in a bodybuilding competition. I kick around a football 5 a side once a week, doesn't make me a footballer. Just because the training consists of physical hardship doesn't make a bodybuilder an athelete. IMO athelete is a umbrella traditional title, and you can't just take anything that is similar and have the umbrella term apply to it!

Whn the light shines we'll pose together
    You and me we're both big fellas
    Bodybuildings under an umbrella
    Under an umbrella, Ella, Ella, Ella

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gymsoldier

<snip> no steroid info please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

discus wrote: »
    I hope some of you were watching Louis Theroux's Weird Weekends Bodybuilding yesterday!

I can't see how it is a sport, but I can't find an argument to prove it's not one... well not a good one

You're a bodybuilder when you compete in a bodybuilding competition. I kick around a football 5 a side once a week, doesn't make me a footballer. Just because the training consists of physical hardship doesn't make a bodybuilder an athelete. IMO athelete is a umbrella traditional title, and you can't just take anything that is similar and have the umbrella term apply to it!

But football is still a sport right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gymsoldier

gymsoldier wrote: »
    <snip> no steroid info please

Quoted from the fitness charter sticky thread:

"General discussion about steroids is fine but absolutely no pushing, advise on how to use, information on where to buy or detail on how to use them will be tolerated."

Text removed was not in breach of the forum rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

gymsoldier wrote: »
    Quoted from the fitness charter sticky thread:

"General discussion about steroids is fine but absolutely no pushing, advise on how to use, information on where to buy or detail on how to use them will be tolerated."

Text removed was not in breach of the forum rules.

Yes, it was. If you'd like to discuss this further take it to PM please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Hi all,

I feel compelled to write on my own experiences as a bodybuilder, both on and off the stage.

To say bodybuilding is not a sport is hurtfull when you truely believe in something and strive to be the best you can be in it. The training regime for a competitive bodybuilder especially leading up to a competition is astonishing and possibly the most physically and mentally demanding training you can go through. The dedication needed is stagering. But the personal reward and sense of accomplishment when you finally get up on that stage blows you away, more so than any other sport I have ever being involved in.

To say there is no skill in it comes from someone who has never tried to understand how amazing the human body is and how it can be trained to overcome any obstacle. The knowledge needed to train CORRECTLY comes from hard study of form and constant training to adapt the body to new stresses and routines to teach your body memory to make your movements more fluidlike and make your body stronger to work better in these movements, sounds exactly like what other athletes do, doesn't it.

People like to poke fun at bodybuilding, because of the steroid stigma attached to it and that is what is stoping the sport from becoming more mainstream and even inclusion as an olympic sport. Where steroid's do play a part in some areas of bodybuilding, others like myself practice natural bodybuilding and believe me the results can be equally outstanding.

Just as an example, I will briefly explain competition lead up for myself just to give an indication to those who don't understand what is involved.
    Training is all year round but when you decide to do a competition it has a big affect on how you approach your training, I like to start out with very heavy training to "bulk up" (try to get the mass on before you start the diet phase), everyone is different and their body reacts differently, hence the individual nature of the preparation. For me I start strict diet 3 to 4 months out from competition and I do not stray from that diet at all. This means approximately 7-8 meals a day (small manageable meals, not 10 lb steaks as people believe). Your body no matter who you are works better this way, any nutritionist will tell you this as your body has a constant source of energy every few hours and does not need to hold onto fat because it thinks it is not going to get more energy from say 7 in the morning till lunch time. Training is strict with up to 2-3 hours a day as well as lots of cardio contrary to peoples beliefs (after all your heart is the most important muscle you have).

Everything you do down to your sleep patterns, keeping yourself positive to keep the body in top condition, working on your weak areas because bodybuilding competitions are judged by muscle symmetry, fullness, vascularity, and muscle proportion and other factors NOT just who is the biggest. All this training and dedication, the getting up at four or five in the morning to fit in a session before you go to work, the sacrificies you make socially (no drink, junk food, not even a drop or a crumb) all for the love of your sport and the elation of getting up on stage knowing that you done your best and put in the hours and dedication that any professional athlete would be and is proud to be able to adhere to.

The seven compulsory poses, take believe it or not a hell of a lot of practice to execute properly and to hold in a seemingly relax state when every fibre in your body burns on every pose on stage. The free pose routine is precise and timed and created to expose the muscles in their fullest tension, which you should try and hold a very tight pose for a period of time and see what it feels like.

Everything involved in bodybuilding leads me to a better place, the confidence it can instill, the sense of achievement and the knowledge that only a very very small number of bodybuilders ever make it to the stage has to be testimont to the training regime and dedication needed to be a bodybuilding sportsperson.

My apologies for the longwinded reply, but I hope you can draw some more knowledge about bodybuilding from my post and hopefully at least one person might change their mind, and see it as a sport!

Regards and good wishes
    Collie

At last somebody who appears to know what they're talking about!

Advertisement