Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Bodybuilding a Sport?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Chess is regarded as a sport by all but 4 coutnries in the EU. Thankfully, we are one of the four who dont recognise it as a sport and the sports council does not fund it. Heard the chess assosciation on 'off the ball' a few weeks back.

Sport v passtime v games is a very interesting debate.

Were gladiatorial games a sport? Is shooting or fox hunting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

A sport is an activity requiring physical ability, physical fitness or physical skill which usually, but not always, involves competition between two or more people.

Snooker is considered a sport.. Just ask Stephen Lee.
    snook.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Snooker is considered a sport.. Just ask Stephen Lee.
    snook.jpg

Ha!

You just try and tell phil 'the power' taylor that he doesnt compete in a sport...Look at that waist to forearm ratio..Magnificent.

phil_taylor_74941t.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I wouldn't consider it a sport because judging it is purely subjective. I also wouldn't really consider a body builder as healthy or an athlete, their body is taken to the extreme but I'd imagine if they took part in many sports they'd be useless at them due to their bulk. If you ever notice in MMA that the big overly muscular guys usually end up getting their asses kicked because they lack agility.

I've heard storeys about body builders on motorbikes stopping every half an hour because of cramps due to their chest muscles making it hard to hold handlebars.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I wouldn't consider it a sport because judging it is purely subjective. I also wouldn't really consider a body builder as healthy or an athlete, their body is taken to the extreme but I'd imagine if they took part in many sports they'd be useless at them due to their bulk. If you ever notice in MMA that the big overly muscular guys usually end up getting their asses kicked because they lack agility.

I've heard storeys about body builders on motorbikes stopping every half an hour because of cramps due to their chest muscles making it hard to hold handlebars.

I cant think of any others offhand but a few are quite impressive athletes.Chris Cormier has a good 100 metre sprint,Andy hamen has an impressive 40 yard dash time.Im sure there are others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Most of the people who don't think bodybuilding's a sport
    probably think golf is.

As for there being no exertion involved in competition, try being onstage for 2-3 minutes and then tell me there's no exertion

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

JayRoc wrote: »
    probably think golf is.

As for there being no exertion involved in competition, try being onstage for 2-3 minutes and then tell me there's no exertion
    I'm not saying it's not hard work or takes somewhere near the same level of discipline or work ethic to achieve but would you say a champion body builder is on the same level of fitness as say an Olympic sprinter or even a walker?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

body building is not a sport...

its a beauty pageant

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

JayRoc wrote: »
    probably think golf is.

Golf is a sport. There is skill and timing involved.

Doing stunts or magic tricks also involves exerting oneself, neither are sports.

Everybody wants to be an athlete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

Even Stephen Lee & Phil 'The Power' Taylor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

Bodybuilding is an eating disorder.

......but nobody wanna do no heavy ass skills training?Doesnt have the same ring to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I think it depends on the very subjective definition of a sport.

Does it require years of dedicated, back breaking training to reach the highest level of competition? Yes

Does it require exertion during competition? Yes, very much so

Does it require skill? Yes in training, at the highest levels, and a moderate amount in competition. It is, however, not a highly skilled activity like gymnastics, MMA, fencing etc.

Is it a sport? I think it depends on the definition of sport.

mloc wrote: »
    Does it require skill? Yes in training, at the highest levels, and a moderate amount in competition. It is, however, not a highly skilled activity like gymnastics, MMA, fencing etc.
    No it doesn't have skill, training properly requires some technique, but no more than any dedicated trainee would use. But not very much skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

No it doesn't have skill, training properly requires some technique, but no more than any dedicated trainee would use. But not very much skill.

What about the skill in getting to know your body and how to train it to the best of its genetic, and indeed anabolic, potential?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭itsgrand

ScumLord wrote: »

I think that some bodybuilders may take an unhealthy approach,like severe lack of cardio or a diet filled with too many supplements. But I also think bodybuilders can be the the healthiest humans if they combine cardio with their workouts,and have a diet full of organic foods with some supplements too. I recently read an article about bodybuilders of the past being seriously strong AND able to run for miles on end. They push their bodies,then compete with others who have taken the same tough road as them to see who has worked the hardest,who has perservered through the diet and who has gone through the most pain in the gym to achieve the "perfect body". This is why I think it should be regarded as a sport.

What about the skill in getting to know your body and how to train it to the best of its genetic, and indeed anabolic, potential?
    Oh right okay I see what's happening now, you just don't understand what skill is.

For something to be a skill from a sporting point if view, there has to be a variable. On one end of the scale, a variable would be an opponent trying to stop you from doing whatever it is you're trying to do. On the other end would be wind for example.

So for a bodybuilder, all of the lifting in the gym is free of skill, that's just technique applied. In the kitchen for the rigid diets, that's discipline and knowledge, and in terms of optmising their drug taking, that's also just knowledge and of course access. On stage for posing, the only variables would be nerves, experience etc. which only the most anal of individuals would derive the term skill from.

So when people ask me if it's a sport, I say no. Not because I dislike bodybuilding, but because I simply can't stand to compare Brian O'Driscoll taking a ball in full flight with someone standing still and clenching.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

itsgrand wrote: »
    I think that some bodybuilders may take an unhealthy approach,like severe lack of cardio or a diet filled with too many supplements. But I also think bodybuilders can be the the healthiest humans if they combine cardio with their workouts,and have a diet full of organic foods with some supplements too. I recently read an article about bodybuilders of the past being seriously strong AND able to run for miles on end. They push their bodies,then compete with others who have taken the same tough road as them to see who has worked the hardest,who has perservered through the diet and who has gone through the most pain in the gym to achieve the "perfect body". This is why I think it should be regarded as a sport.

Body builders that work to compete may certainly not be doing themselves any favours and as it is well documented the current fashion of very very low BF% pushes people to make very radical lifestyle choices to cut back and dehydrate to get that final cut look on the stage. Not healthy.

Aesthetics is not performance and so there is really no set standard of achievement as fashion changes the yardstick of what constitutes a winner also changes. This is contrast to say the 100m sprint where time is still time.

I think it is a sport in the sense that olympic lifting would be considered BB by most people. But there ae too many activites that are labelled as sports that are not and more join them every year as people campaign to get their hobbies listed as olympic events. Labels...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

I dunno, have you not seen the applied tans on these guys??
    129206510013504354.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Ironman Collie

Hi all,

I feel compelled to write on my own experiences as a bodybuilder, both on and off the stage.

To say bodybuilding is not a sport is hurtfull when you truely believe in something and strive to be the best you can be in it. The training regime for a competitive bodybuilder especially leading up to a competition is astonishing and possibly the most physically and mentally demanding training you can go through. The dedication needed is stagering. But the personal reward and sense of accomplishment when you finally get up on that stage blows you away, more so than any other sport I have ever being involved in.

To say there is no skill in it comes from someone who has never tried to understand how amazing the human body is and how it can be trained to overcome any obstacle. The knowledge needed to train CORRECTLY comes from hard study of form and constant training to adapt the body to new stresses and routines to teach your body memory to make your movements more fluidlike and make your body stronger to work better in these movements, sounds exactly like what other athletes do, doesn't it.

People like to poke fun at bodybuilding, because of the steroid stigma attached to it and that is what is stoping the sport from becoming more mainstream and even inclusion as an olympic sport. Where steroid's do play a part in some areas of bodybuilding, others like myself practice natural bodybuilding and believe me the results can be equally outstanding.

Just as an example, I will briefly explain competition lead up for myself just to give an indication to those who don't understand what is involved.
    Training is all year round but when you decide to do a competition it has a big affect on how you approach your training, I like to start out with very heavy training to "bulk up" (try to get the mass on before you start the diet phase), everyone is different and their body reacts differently, hence the individual nature of the preparation. For me I start strict diet 3 to 4 months out from competition and I do not stray from that diet at all. This means approximately 7-8 meals a day (small manageable meals, not 10 lb steaks as people believe). Your body no matter who you are works better this way, any nutritionist will tell you this as your body has a constant source of energy every few hours and does not need to hold onto fat because it thinks it is not going to get more energy from say 7 in the morning till lunch time. Training is strict with up to 2-3 hours a day as well as lots of cardio contrary to peoples beliefs (after all your heart is the most important muscle you have).

Everything you do down to your sleep patterns, keeping yourself positive to keep the body in top condition, working on your weak areas because bodybuilding competitions are judged by muscle symmetry, fullness, vascularity, and muscle proportion and other factors NOT just who is the biggest. All this training and dedication, the getting up at four or five in the morning to fit in a session before you go to work, the sacrificies you make socially (no drink, junk food, not even a drop or a crumb) all for the love of your sport and the elation of getting up on stage knowing that you done your best and put in the hours and dedication that any professional athlete would be and is proud to be able to adhere to.

The seven compulsory poses, take believe it or not a hell of a lot of practice to execute properly and to hold in a seemingly relax state when every fibre in your body burns on every pose on stage. The free pose routine is precise and timed and created to expose the muscles in their fullest tension, which you should try and hold a very tight pose for a period of time and see what it feels like.

Everything involved in bodybuilding leads me to a better place, the confidence it can instill, the sense of achievement and the knowledge that only a very very small number of bodybuilders ever make it to the stage has to be testimont to the training regime and dedication needed to be a bodybuilding sportsperson.

My apologies for the longwinded reply, but I hope you can draw some more knowledge about bodybuilding from my post and hopefully at least one person might change their mind, and see it as a sport!

Regards and good wishes
    Collie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Lantus wrote: »
    I think it is a sport in the sense that olympic lifting would be considered BB by most people. But there ae too many activites that are labelled as sports that are not and more join them every year as people campaign to get their hobbies listed as olympic events. Labels...

You can't compare Olympic weightlifting and bodybuilding. I don't know of anyone who thinks weightlifting is bodybuilding on viewing the sport. The terms might be used interchangeably by people who don't know much about weightlifting but that doesn't mean they are similar. That's just ignorance.

There is a huge skill element to weightlifting which isn't present at all in bodybuilding, comparing the two is a bit foolish actually.

Ironman collie- no one is disrespecting the dedication, training or discipline needed to be a competitive bodybuilder. The debate is whether it's a sport. The reason I don't think it's a sport is because you are not really competing against anyone else. You're really just being the best you can be. If someone is better than you in boxing, you can get a lucky knockout, if another soccer team is better, you can get a lucky penalty.

If someone's better than you on the stage, there is no skill, tactic or formation that will disguise the fact that he is better than you.

That's what makes it a pastime IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Ironman collie- no one is disrespecting the dedication, training or discipline needed to be a competitive bodybuilder. The debate is whether it's a sport. The reason I don't think it's a sport is because you are not really competing against anyone else. You're really just being the best you can be. If someone is better than you in boxing, you can get a lucky knockout, if another soccer team is better, you can get a lucky penalty.

If someone's better than you on the stage, there is no skill, tactic or formation that will disguise the fact that he is better than you.

What about hiding weakpoints or emphasising strengths in callouts?

What about hiding weakpoints or emphasising strengths in callouts?

Accepted, but still not a skill. Not comparable to a 147 in snooker, 180 in darts or a hole in one in golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dantes87

Accepted, but still not a skill. Not comparable to a 147 in snooker, 180 in darts or a hole in one in golf.

Darts is not a sport, especially not if bodybuilding isn't either.

Sport should have a physical element and variables. Darts pretty much has neither

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

Ironman Collie, I really wouldn't mind most of this, you certainly shouldn't feel hurt.

Some can argue they're not, but many are just compelled (and content) to snipe, to varying degrees, at efforts/feats/motivations they can't really fathom.

I'm not really at all into BB and personally find a lot of the usual aesthetics fairly unappealing but yeah, tonnes of respect for anyone who's able to/inclined to/disciplined enough to compete at it.
    Not a "sport"? Don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Ironman Collie

Hi Davestator,

Thanks for your comments.

Whereas the sports you mentioned are highly visible in terms of competition, bodybuilding is equally so, it is just that you can't see it in a goal or a knockout. Let me explain, bodybuilders in competition know their competition each year in the form of their rival competitors and due to the small changes that can be achieved each year in your body's structure when you get to a certain mass, you need to be very careful when you make changes to your bodys structure, take for example Ronnie Coleman, 8 times Mr. Olympia (bodybuilding's world cup) during his later reign he had very tight competition from a number of competitors and he had to tighten up areas of his body even at his development to stay on top as the other competitors improved their weakpoints to a par or better than Ronnie's, not only in the Olympia but this goes for all bodybuilding comps. He had to train his body to COMPETE against the few at the top of his sport, every competitive bodybuilder does the same, just like in any sport, you know who is your competition and you train to beat them.

Believe me bodybuilding is extremely competitive to those who are involved.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭flyer88

yes it is competitive...like everything else. But at the end of the day it cannot simply qualify as a sport..!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

What about the skill in getting to know your body?

Masterbation is a sport? :confused:

• Advertisement

@ ironman collie. I've trained with a lot of lads who were competing over the years and usually they haven't a clue about who's entering. Maybe that's just them! I'd assume the higher the level, the more lads would know their competition.

Advertisement