Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Bodybuilding a Sport?

Options
  • 25-01-2011 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hey,was just curious as to whether Bodybuilding is a sport or not.

I can't seem to find it under the sport section of boards.

I think it should be considered a sport simply because its so tough to do,what with changing your lifestyle completely for good results,what do you think?

Any help is appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dave80

itsgrand wrote: »
    Hey,was just curious as to whether Bodybuilding is a sport or not.

I can't seem to find it under the sport section of boards.

I think it should be considered a sport simply because its so tough to do,what with changing your lifestyle completely for good results,what do you think?

Any help is appreciated.

some say its a sport some dont, my opinion is the bodybuilding training in the gym etc is a sport but the bodybuilding shows are more of a beauty contest

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭clown2brown

+1 Yes I believe it is a sport and boards should recognize this by putting it under the 'Sports' section. Seriously the clowns believe yoga is a sport....:cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

There's a yoga forum but no strength sports forum?

Rabble, Rabble, Rabble, Rabble, Rabble, Rabble, Rabble, Rabble, Rabble, Rabble, Rabble, Rabble, Rabble, Rabble, Rabble, Rabble, Rabble, Rabble, Rabble, Rabble. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I see it more as a hobby. If someone asked me if i played any sports i'd never answer yeah i do bodybuilding. Granted i don't compete so i don't have that angle to defend it from.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I dunno tbh...

To me competitive bodybuilding is the destruction of your body.

I always think sports promote health and fitness to an extent.

I could honestly argue it either way tho.

*Sits on fence*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭COH

Its more of an art than a sport maybe, but a sport nonetheless given the competitive/physical aspect

Its a spart!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Not a sport to me.

No physical attributes are actually tested in competition e.g. strength, speed, agility, dexterity, flexibility. Only physical appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dantes87

The sports section on boards contains these:

Darts, not a sport but a game
    Frisbee??
    Greyhound racing? There aren't even people in the event ffs
    Paintball?
    Scuba diving?:rolleyes:

If these are sports then you can't really question bodybuilding

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Sangre wrote: »
    Not a sport to me.

No physical attributes are actually tested in competition e.g. strength, speed, agility, dexterity, flexibility. Only physical appearance.

Totally agree. I heard once that the definition of a sport is something you need to change footwear for! It's not perfect, but right most of the time.

I respect the dedication it takes to be show ready, but a pastime in my opinion

Totally agree. I heard once that the definition of a sport is something you need to change footwear for! It's not perfect, but right most of the time.

I respect the dedication it takes to be show ready, but a pastime in my opinion

That definition isn't great though is it.

Working on a building site is a sport?
    I have to get new footwear for a wedding, watching someone get married is hardly a sport:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭The Davestator

dantes87 wrote: »
    That definition isn't great though is it.

Working on a building site is a sport?
    I have to get new footwear for a wedding, watching someone get married is hardly a sport:)

Some basic common sense is assumed when applying this definition.

Some basic common sense is assumed when applying this definition.

I'm only messing.

But a "sport" is a difficult thing to define

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭clown2brown

I heard once that the definition of a sport is something you need to change footwear for!

Didn't know you had to change your footware for riding a feck'n bicycle:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Sangre wrote: »
    Not a sport to me.

Hold a most muscular for 30 seconds there.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭itsgrand

COH wrote: »
    Its more of an art than a sport maybe, but a sport nonetheless given the competitive/physical aspect

Its a spart!

Hah I think your right. It is an art in the way it's sculpting the body like an artist would with clay. And also a sport due to great demands of constant physical strength which is something to be admired.

I also respect the way they have to change their diet. Like in every other sport diet is always very important,but in bodybuilding it's crucial.

I'd love to see a section for it in the sports forum,I think a good few people would have a fair few questions and tips on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭SpookyBastard

Tough one really. Normally we see sports as some form of organised competitive game/activity with a goal for winning. So yes to all ball games, team games, etc etc . Then you see people referring to some martial arts as sporty and others as traditional or 'arts'. The Chinese word for sport means training physically so would that include body building? Is a body builder an athlete? If they are then it should be considerd a sport as they are athletes competing to attain a goal. Can argue each way of course but I'd be inclined to go with 'yes' :)

Also, am I the only one who thought 'THIS IS SPARTTTTT!!! AH' to COH's post? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭taz70

Surely it's just the male equivalent of a beauty pageant.

This doesn't detract from the hours of dedication required to create the necessary physical transformation, and it's certainly an impressive display, but rather than a "sport", I see it more as an artistic or aesthetic endeavour rather than an athletic one.

In other words, just because a competitor has to physically train, doesn't automatically make it a sport (pageant contestants also have to train to transform their bodies into the best physical shape that they can prior to competition).

In addition, are there any sports where what one actually does in training is materially different from the performance required during the competition? I think this is what differentiates it from, say, powerlifting. Granted, competitors practice poses and routines, but this really is just about presentation - which is increasingly crossing over into dance, if we consider Kai Green.

And for god's sake, would someone tell Branch Warren to STOP SMILING on stage. He's much more impressive without the forced grimace!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It is a sport. What about it makes it not a sport? The training and dedication?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

taz70 wrote: »
    Surely it's just the male equivalent of a beauty pageant.

I think you'll find the male equivalent of a beauty pagent is a male beauty pagent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Male_beauty_pageants

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭LK_Dave

what if bodybuilding leads to powerlifting? I would say that is a sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

No, pwerlifting yes but not bodybuilding. If it were you could probably argue weightwatchers is a sport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭seanmc1980

sport in the dictionary is defined as.

"an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment"

so this is the starting point people.

put body building into the equasion

1 yes its and activity that involves physical exerction
    2 not much skill in it
    3 individual or team = yes
    4 compete = yes
    5 entertainment= yes

so in summary body building is a sport but only if you compete. if you do it for a past time then its just and activity/hobby

end

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Didn't know you had to change your footware for riding a feck'n bicycle:pac:

Maybe not, but I hate wearing bike shoes to work.

SH_TR30;Warehouse;Warehouse.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

If bodybuilding is a sport then so is spinning, dieting, tanning, draughts, Guess Who?, and a variety of other things that fulfill some of the criteria for being a sport.

1. It's skill-free. It has technique (posing) but no skill
    2. See point 1.

Dedication, hard work, etc. etc. are all fine qualities but none of these make a sport. It seems everyone wants to be called an athlete these days and get kudos for getting out of bed in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

I would only class something as a sport if it requires physical exertion in the competitive aspect of it. It's a personal thing but I wouldn't class darts, snooker, bowling, shooting, body building, chess etc. as sports.

I'm not questioning that they take a lot of time and effort to get good at they just lack that little something.

In the case of body building, I don't see it as having that element of chance that sport does, apart from the judges score cards which is out of the body builders hands. If you've trained harder and are bigger, you'll win on the day (feel free to correct this impression but this is just how I see it).

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

Something in my brain seems to be thinking it's not quite what I'd understand is a sport. Who cares though? It's a contest involving fierce competition, that should be enough. You could sure say it's an art too, I guess.

Hard to say why I wouldn't think of it as a sport per se, but it's just a word, not the be all or end all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Is Competitive Eating a Sport?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

Askin' me or the previous lad? There's just no way my post could have said that anything that's competitive is a sport, I really think there's no way.

To actually answer your question, I'd say it isn't, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭flyer88

It is quite clearly not a sport! And adding to that...this thread is in HEALTH & FITNESS rather than SPORT, that explains it in a way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

flyer88 wrote: »
    It is quite clearly not a sport! And adding to that...this thread is in HEALTH & FITNESS rather than SPORT, that explains it in a way.

Well there's no forum for weightlifting, powerlifting or strongman but I'd say they're sports (maybe not strongman, I dunno). Most people use this forum to discuss those sports.

I'd say no it's not a sport. And it definitely doesn't need a forum, there's about 5 proper bodybuilding posts here a year. I don't think yoga needed a forum either though and it's definitely no sport.

Advertisement