Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UAE, DUBAI/SABIS TEACHING!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Cogar

Has anyone actually got their flight details yet!?! I'm contracted to Ras-al Khaimah for the year and apparently I will be there for the 25th of August....but no contact since I gave them all the details and forms that they required...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 UL2008

The school themselves seem to be booking it so I wouldn't worry-I think anyone that has flights booked are all from the school in Dubai!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Cogar

Ah i see...Thanks for leaving me know! Can't wait now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 mogsy

I have been in touch with Sabis and im looking to get a position out there as I have just completed my Dip here, What subjects are all of you going to be teaching out there? Are you just graduating from college, have you taught before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭pinkheels88

Hey everyone,

I've just finished my MA in English and I'm really interested in teaching English in the UAE (esp. Dubai) with SABIS. Finding it hard to find much concrete info on them online. Just sorting out my academic cv at the moment and hoping to email them a job application at the end of the week.
    With a 1H BA in English and Psych, and a 1H MA in English, I'm hoping my chances of getting a good job over there are high.
    Does anyone know do they take on people all year round? Do the kids have school during the summer there? Any phone interview tips if i get a call back?

Much appreciated,
    Feel free to PM me if you have experience working for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Supposedly holding interviews in Ireland in the New Year. See the second advertisement on this page, it was added about 2 months ago.

http://www.lit.ie/careers/Ads/Various/index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭aridion

Has anyone on this forum actually had experience with working with Sabis. Do they encourage their teachers to do the PGCE with Sunderland? After doing the PGCE does the salary rise accordingly?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Any feedback from people who have worked with them???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 natcoco

Had a phone interview in November-ish, then they asked me for references and garda clearance... So sent them off, asked them how my application was progressing to which they said 'keep posted for further communication'.
    I was hoping for something more solid, like confirmation that I've moved onto the second interview stage. But no word from they yet!
    Has anyone had any similar experiences? Being kept on your toes with no word for ages but then word of an interview closer to the time?!

natcoco wrote: »
    Had a phone interview in November-ish, then they asked me for references and garda clearance... So sent them off, asked them how my application was progressing to which they said 'keep posted for further communication'.
    I was hoping for something more solid, like confirmation that I've moved onto the second interview stage. But no word from they yet!
    Has anyone had any similar experiences? Being kept on your toes with no word for ages but then word of an interview closer to the time?!

I had a phone interview the first week of Decemeber, was offered a teaching position by them 30mins after I got off the phone. However this is a position starting this month - there was an opening in one of their schools. They are already recruiting for August 2011. I thought they only ask for garda clearance/references etc after you've been offered a job? There is a cost involved in getting degrees authenticated and translated etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 natcoco

Thanks for replying PinkHeels. I'm going to take it as a good sign that they asked for clearance and references after the interview!
    Good luck over there, where exactly are you headed?
    Hope all goes well and experience is positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Kohl

I had a phone interview the first week of Decemeber, was offered a teaching position by them 30mins after I got off the phone. However this is a position starting this month - there was an opening in one of their schools. They are already recruiting for August 2011. I thought they only ask for garda clearance/references etc after you've been offered a job? There is a cost involved in getting degrees authenticated and translated etc.

Do you have to have the diploma in education/ PGCE qualification for SABIS?

I want to teach Mathematics. I am finishing up a Physics degree.

natcoco wrote: »
    Thanks for replying PinkHeels. I'm going to take it as a good sign that they asked for clearance and references after the interview!
    Good luck over there, where exactly are you headed?
    Hope all goes well and experience is positive.

Thanks very much natcoco! I'm heading to Muscat, Oman. Just east of the United Arab Emirates. Just waiting to hear about my flights now! :rolleyes::o

Kohl wrote: »
    Do you have to have the diploma in education/ PGCE qualification for SABIS?

I want to teach Mathematics. I am finishing up a Physics degree.

Nope all you need is a college degree, I have an MA in English but any undergraduate degree qualifies you for a teaching position. You might end up teaching kindergarden/lower primary level though without teaching experience.

Can anyone who has worked with Sabis provide some feedback. I have researched them online and the feedback is extremely negative. You would be lucky to find one positive review. I'm a bit concerned by it. Even filling in the application form you feel like you are signing away all of your rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Kohl

Thanks very much natcoco! I'm heading to Muscat, Oman. Just east of the United Arab Emirates. Just waiting to hear about my flights now! :rolleyes::o

Nope all you need is a college degree, I have an MA in English but any undergraduate degree qualifies you for a teaching position. You might end up teaching kindergarden/lower primary level though without teaching experience.

Whats the salary like? I seen 1300 euros a month on this board somewhere. Is that right? Seems a bit low for a teaching salary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Can anyone who has worked with Sabis provide some feedback. I have researched them online and the feedback is extremely negative. You would be lucky to find one positive review. I'm a bit concerned by it. Even filling in the application form you feel like you are signing away all of your rights.

I'm wondering this too. Have heard awful things about Sabis.

But having said that, my girlfriend's friend is out there with Sabis and is having a ball but the overwhelming negativity on the net is of some concern.

So if anyone's with Sabis, please let us know.

Kraggy,
    Are you thinking of heading out there??
    It's good to hear that people are having a good time out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Missy L

Hi Guys

Iv recently applied for a teaching job with Sabis in Dubai! I had my intense phone interview 2 weeks ago and gladly found out that I am through to the next stage of face to face interviews in April 2011! However before the face to face interview I have to send them a cv video...Has anyone ever had to do that? Anyone ever had a face to face interview? What was it like? I am qualified as a teacher and would really like to explore education in Dubai so any advise, information and tips would be of real help! Thanks guys x

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 seanfada

Hi, I have been teaching with SABIS for 15 years. I am from Dublin. I have taught in many of their schools and love it. Yes there are many bad things on the net about them but the funny thing is that most of their staff are Irish and none of the things are written by Irish. Some poeple from other nationalities with an axe to grind about SABIS started a smear campaign a few years ago .

I would say 99% of those who go have a great experience but unfortunately they dont write about it whilst a tiny few have had bad experiences and have shared this on the net.

Generally people love to complain but when they have a good experience they dont share it. When was the last time you ate in a restaraunt and called the waiter over to tell them the meal was really nice? Never, probably. However if you were unhappy with the food or service would you complain? More than likely. Check this blog www.sabisspeaks.wordpress.com :cool:

Yeah, salary may be around that at the start (but can increase very fast depending on the person, i have seen this happen often). Also is tax free, appartment free rent, water, elec, furniture, private health insurance, travel to and from work, government gratuity end of each year and bonus (tax free after 2 years) I dont think is really to be sniffed at. I constantly compare my net here with what it would be in Ireland and factor everything in and know I am way better off here than at home.:D

• Advertisement

Yeah they started doing it this year. They can sends you all the instructions or you can follow them on twitter @teachingindubai or search for them on twitter with the email address careersgulf@sabis.net

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BJ Girl

I have a phone interview tomo morning with the SABIS ppl... I'm very wary as I've seen some horrific things written about the system, it's hard to ignore it!

When I applied at first with my CV they text me saying there was an "urgent email" in my inbox, so I checked my mail and it was asking me to do the cv video thing..i just ignored it...if they are meeting us face to face I don't see the need to do it!

Would be great if some other newly qualified teachers could put some positive experiences on this..please do!!

seanfada wrote: »
    Hi, I have been teaching with SABIS for 15 years.

Are you a recruiter with them now?

I have been asked to forward a video cv as well but I haven't done yet. Will they allow us a face-to-face interview without it?

The problem is that many other applicants from other countries are sending them these video cvs nad they are under rpessure to keep the highest standard possible. Now the standard is a video cv. But doing it is no big deal it just involves reading your cv into a webcam. I would strongly advise doing it as they have the biggest anount of applications they have ever had and when shorltisitn applicants one looks at many factors, so if they have your video cv it is a plus if they dont it is a minus.

I know they are not insisting on it but I would recommend it.

BJ Girl wrote: »
    I have a phone interview tomo morning with the SABIS ppl... I'm very wary as I've seen some horrific things written about the system, it's hard to ignore it!

When I applied at first with my CV they text me saying there was an "urgent email" in my inbox, so I checked my mail and it was asking me to do the cv video thing..i just ignored it...if they are meeting us face to face I don't see the need to do it!

Would be great if some other newly qualified teachers could put some positive experiences on this..please do!!
    Yeah just ignore it! But will you get a face to face interview then?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BJ Girl

Well if it comes down to getting a job I'll do it! Also a question for you...if i complete the year contract with the school am I free to work in another school? I've read that they ban you for 6 months or something. Any truth in this?? I'm sure I can ask them tomo what the options are once the contract is up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Missy L

Hey

Thanks for your input! Now I will be doing a cv video as it will make my app stronger.Wow you have been working there for 15 years thats amazing!

How many applicants do they take in like just say Dubai?
    Is the face to face interview scary? And what are the typical questions they ask?

Iv not recieved any update since my phone interview apart from the email about providing a cv video...it seems very competitive..I dont think I will succeed :(

I know they have gundreds of applications for not so many posts so the better prepared you are the bettr it is for you. Just be honest, rpepared and genuine and you will be fine.

BJ Girl wrote: »
    Well if it comes down to getting a job I'll do it! Also a question for you...if i complete the year contract with the school am I free to work in another school? I've read that they ban you for 6 months or something. Any truth in this?? I'm sure I can ask them tomo what the options are once the contract is up...

Bans are decided by the government and impemented in labour laws. These change very often, one always has to check the newspapers and ministry websites for changes and updates. (Btw majority tend to stay with SABIS for at least 2 years, if not more, even though we all swear it is only for 1 year, just like I did 15 years ago:))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 bloor

Hey guys,

Like many of you, I have sent off application, have done my phone interview which I think went really well and have just sent them my CV video also.........however I may not be able to make the face-to-face interview as im currently in Canada working for a few months............am still definitely looking to go to middle east to go teaching with SABIS but am kinda worried as I have emailed them asking for clarification on what happens if I cant make face-to face interview requesting a video conference call and they haven't responded despite sending them a 2nd email last week....worried ive scared them off as they might think im not committed to go as im in Canada.....anyone have similar issues or heard of anyone who has got away with not having to attend face-to-face and still getting a teaching position.

Thanks

Advertisement