Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UAE, DUBAI/SABIS TEACHING!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭antz182

just seen this website: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1003.html#safety
    the most interesting part of it is this: In the past, employers routinely held the passports of employees during their stay in Qatar. A new law passed in 2009 formally forbade this practice, and all employers are prohibited from holding employees’ passports, except for visa and immigration processing.
    Thus they cannot hold your passport indefinatly

gwjones42 wrote: »
    It's right for you to be aware of things that make you feel uneasy in the lead-up to something as big as what you're about to do. I felt the exact same when I was going 5 years ago, but was much relieved to see how unfounded my fears were when I arrived and got used to the place.

At times, Choueifat can be stubbornly stuck to their own rules which seem awkward, but they always treated me and my friends well. If the fantastic year I spent with them and the positive experiences of anybody else I've spoken to are anything to go by, then you should be alright.

Eased the fears any more?
    Definatly....Although I would like to hear what is it like on the ground there? (I got offered a job in Doha which I have to accept within 24 hours :( ) Are the schools strict? What is it like living in an Islamic culture?

(also apologies for the double post people)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭gwjones42

I can't talk specifically for Doha as I was in Al Ain (UAE). I haven't heard that Qatar is any more or less strict than UAE though, so taking it that they're relatively similar, I'd say you should have no problems on the ground fitting in with the Islamic culture. You'll find all of the basic guidelines about behaviour in loads of websites (dress modestly, no public drinking or drunkeness).

A couple of eye-openers for me were.......
      How much less negative attention from taxi drivers/ hotel receptionists me and my girlfriend at the time got when she was wearing a "wedding ring".
      Making school art out of food is a no-no..a colleague made "popcorn sheep" only to get into big trouble for being disrespectful to food....(it has some religious significance apparently).
      Don't even think about eating or drinking in public during Ramadan....even a bottle of water on a hot day. It's okay to eat and drink for non-muslims, but choose somewhere out of the way to do it.
      The local bakeries make Lebanese style cakes that are oily, full of pistachio nuts, sugar and are amazing.....I want some now:pac:
      On the subject of food, you're school should have a canteen that you go to for lunch. you just have the money taken from your pay before you get it. It gets a bit dull after a while, but it introduced me to "Arabic Food" in an easy way.......tabouleh salad, fried aubergines, Houmous etc.... Again...I want it all now!
      Last thing for now.....there's loads of Ex-Pat things to do to get to know people. I joined the local expat rugby team and despite being destroyed on a weekly basis had a great time. I say take the job! You'll have a great time!!

I can't talk specifically for Doha as I was in Al Ain (UAE). I haven't heard that Qatar is any more or less strict than UAE though, so taking it that they're relatively similar, I'd say you should have no problems on the ground fitting in with the Islamic culture. You'll find all of the basic guidelines about behaviour in loads of websites (dress modestly, no public drinking or drunkeness).

A couple of eye-openers for me were.......
      How much less negative attention from taxi drivers/ hotel receptionists me and my girlfriend at the time got when she was wearing a "wedding ring".
      Making school art out of food is a no-no..a colleague made "popcorn sheep" only to get into big trouble for being disrespectful to food....(it has some religious significance apparently).
      Don't even think about eating or drinking in public during Ramadan....even a bottle of water on a hot day. It's okay to eat and drink for non-muslims, but choose somewhere out of the way to do it.
      The local bakeries make Lebanese style cakes that are oily, full of pistachio nuts, sugar and are amazing.....I want some now:pac:
      On the subject of food, you're school should have a canteen that you go to for lunch. you just have the money taken from your pay before you get it. It gets a bit dull after a while, but it introduced me to "Arabic Food" in an easy way.......tabouleh salad, fried aubergines, Houmous etc.... Again...I want it all now!
      Last thing for now.....there's loads of Ex-Pat things to do to get to know people. I joined the local expat rugby team and despite being destroyed on a weekly basis had a great time. I say take the job! You'll have a great time!!

Thanks so much, its so hard to find any info from real people that can be taken as actual fact. Although I have one more question, I only have the intention of going for 1 year, but I have heard stories where you are pressured into the 2nd year, did that happen to you?

antz182 wrote: »
    Thanks so much, its so hard to find any info from real people that can be taken as actual fact. Although I have one more question, I only have the intention of going for 1 year, but I have heard stories where you are pressured into the 2nd year, did that happen to you?

Yeah it did a bit. Anybody who got on well during the year was asked to stay for another one at least because it takes so much effort on the school's part to go through the whole interview/ application/ training* period for each teacher.

I couldn't stay because I wanted to get into the Post-Grad Primary Teaching course here.............and I told them that, however they thought I was playing hard-ball for better pay/ accomodation etc... Funnily enough the improved package they offered me was in their brand new school in Kirkuk....Iraq :eek: My parents nearly had heart attacks when I told them I had accepted.........I told them the truth....eventually:D

I never felt "pressurised" though.....they were clear about what they would like, but you're doing nothing wrong to want to leave at the end of a one-year contract, so you can stand over your decision confidently when/ if the time comes.

*training........forgot to explain this.............Training was a two-day chat with my manager/ principal and was not great...putting it mildly! You really need to read up on the "Points System" thing they have for delivering lessons and all of the crazy assessment each week to get comfortable with it. If you've never taught before, be prepared to be confused. If you have taught, be prepared to be horrified at the old-school style of the lessons!

yea, I've never taught before, that's why I thought it might be a good way to get into it...the more I read the more I want to go, but I want to make sure...I wish I had more time, I have to accept it by 9am and I never had a face-to-face interview, there's so many questions I didnt get a chance to ask on the phone :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 alimai

Anyone had any good or bad experiences working either in doha or ruwais...

need to decide in the next 24 hours it's a tricky one

alimai wrote: »
    Anyone had any good or bad experiences working either in doha or ruwais...

need to decide in the next 24 hours it's a tricky one
    I also got offered Doha

• Registered Users Posts: 16 bloor

Hi guys, myself and a friend also got doha...we are definitely taking it...from the research we have done it seems to be an up and coming spot....weather is amazing and plenty to do....really looking forward to it....

bloor wrote: »
    Hi guys, myself and a friend also got doha...we are definitely taking it...from the research we have done it seems to be an up and coming spot....weather is amazing and plenty to do....really looking forward to it....
    Looks like there'll be a few of us headin so :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 yellowduck

antz and bloor where are you guys from?? i'm in the usa and still haven't heard anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BJ Girl

Anyone have any experiences of Ruwais or get offered it???

Im from Ireland...got offered doha last week...

I'm also from Ireland and was offered Doha last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I'm also from Ireland and was offered Doha last week.

Go - all of you. Qatar is lovely and Bahrain is lovely. I have lived there.
    Recent demonstrations are few and far between.

Dovies wrote: »
    Go - all of you. Qatar is lovely and Bahrain is lovely. I have lived there.
    Recent demonstrations are few and far between.
    I accepted the Doha job, can't wait to go, but trying to find out information/things to do is near impossible, I'm hoping to go to the motogp race at losail though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Waller07

Hi guys! I have a telephone interview with sabis a week Sunday. Im hoping to go and teach at the school in Doha......by the sounds of it, theve recruited quite a few of you already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Missy L

OK guys. Im really worried now. I had my phone interview in Feb time and was told Im through to the face to face interviews in London. However they have still not confirmed a date for them. I emailed them about a month ago and they said they havent decided the dates but kindly note they are still interested in my app. I emailed again last week to find out if the face to face interview dates in London have been confirmed but no one has replied to me. Does that mean they are not interested in me anymore?

Has anyone had the face to face interviews and what were they like? I really think if I get that opportunity I may mess up and I really want to get out there and teach :( I sent my first application form in December so have been waiting for a result for a long time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15 inspiron 1

Hi,

Has anybody here ever worked with ADEC for jobs in Abu Dhabi, or has anybody signed a contract??

I have signed a contract, am feeling nervous now as I have heard some bad reports.

Any information would be great !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 JohnJoe1987

I have just received an e-mail requesting a phone interview for next monday with SABIS school network. I was just wondering what is the usual time period between applying for a position and getting offered a phone interview?

The reason I ask is because I dont even remember applying for a position with them recently but I might have done a 4 or 5 months ago. So do you think the phone interview is for a specific teaching position or is it just the next step the application procedure before I would be considered for a job?

Also what are these interviews like? What level of difficulty have people experienced with these phone interviews and what should I expect

Looks like there'll be a few of us headin so :)

I also got Doha!!:D

Waller07 wrote: »
    lol loads of us headin so :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rachel1987

Hey, I am thinking of taking a job in sheffield private school in dubai, has anyone ever heard of it?
    i think its located in an industrial area called al qusais

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 AmyR967

Hi, I've been offered a position in Muscat, unfortunately I am having difficulty obtaining Garda Vetting. How did the other Irish applicants go about this? Following conversations with the local Gardai they maintain that the school itself must first obtain the vetting forms before I can proceed. The school has said I must have the police clearence finished before I enter Muscat.
    Any help from Irish applicants would be greatly appreciated! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 SarahOG

Hey, I have got a position with a friend of mine in Ruwais, just wondering if anyone else on here has?

On another note @AmyR967, we have had the same issue, so we applied for the garda certificate , simply get it from your local station. Apparently it has been accepted by SABIS before. Meh sure, they seem pretty relaxed so I wouldn't stress to much about it!

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 AmyR967

Thanks, never thought of a Police Certificate, sounds like it will cover the problem.

Best of luck on your travels. :)

Ya a police certificate will do fine....thats all I got and SABIS accepted it so all should be good with that!!!
    Best of luck with it :)

Hey, this is the form I sent them and they seemed happy with it!

http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/data%20protection%20access%20request%20form%20(f20).pdf

That's great, at least one thing out of the way anyway.

Best of luck to everyone! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20 lollipoplady

rachel1987 wrote: »
    Hey, I am thinking of taking a job in sheffield private school in dubai, has anyone ever heard of it?
    i think its located in an industrial area called al qusais

I was living about five minute walk from Sheffield. Its in a place called AL Nahda 2 ,Al Mamzar (Al Qusais). Area is pretty working class but everything such as food and toiletries etc are very very cheap here. Its directly across the road from Al Sharjah, the other emirate (the strictest emirate!) so its possible to walk to the shopping centre there. Sheffield teach mainly Indian and pakistani students and although I didnt teach there it seemed fairly ok. School looks nice on the outside, good facilities etc. If you need any specific info though just ask:) good luck!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 km1989

Waller07 wrote: »

Im going to Doha too :) I am kind of nervous/excited, but I don't know anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Gaff84

Hey guys, also heading to Doha. Where are yee all from? Think all the Irish are flying out the 25th of aug. We're all on the same flight...

Gaff84 wrote: »
    Hey guys, also heading to Doha. Where are yee all from? Think all the Irish are flying out the 25th of aug. We're all on the same flight...

I think everyone going over is Irish apart from me!! I'm from Birmingham! Can't wait till August:)

Are there many on this site heading to Ruwais?

Ah good city Birmingham...just as many Irish there...Heard there was 9 from Ireland heading over newa...dont know ne1 going to Ruwais sarah, sorry..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭jessible

I am just after receiving the application pack and i am def considering applying. I just wanted to ask others about the teaching method im still clueless after reading the information on the points system? Can anyone shed some light? Also how are you meant to discipline the students? We cant raise our voices or shout at them what if the class dont behave?

jessible wrote: »
    I just wanted to ask others about the teaching method im still clueless after reading the information on the points system? Can anyone shed some light? Also how are you meant to discipline the students? We cant raise our voices or shout at them what if the class dont behave?

I shouted........I shouted BIG-TIME!!............I used to get so frustrated with some of the rich, bossy, lazzeeeee kids that I would be so worked up that I felt couldn't do anything but shout, and I was never pulled up for it in my Choueifat School and neither were the other teachers.............now however I see the error of my ways.

Firstly...I was unqualified and hopelessly inexperienced at dealing with kids. Now, more times than not I can talk them out of bad behaviour before they even know they're going to do it. It's all about keeping them focused!! (With purposeful work in which they know how much you expect of them, how long they have to do it and what the consequences will be of doing the work well, or the opposite!) and having a system in place that makes the children want to work well......not just be afraid of working/ behaving badly...(eg....A Star Chart....or some imaginative variation on it...but the principle is the same).

Also allowing a child to cause you such frustration is not good either professionally or personally. Thinking back, it was on days that I wasn't feeling too great anyway that I was most likely to let rip with rage in class.

You really won't know for sure until you're standing there in front of them and you're trying to teach to the (Mental) Points system.......which breaks every single topic into lots and lots of individual points that when learned (supposedly) give the child complete and total knowledge of that subject. It also teaches them to be totally reliant on their textbooks and not to question what they are told. It also leads to PILES of assessment and corrections for the teachers. Some subject teachers had a much heavier correction load than others..........as a lower primary teacher, mine wasn't too bad, but I shared my accommodation with a senior chemistry teacher who seemed to be correcting the equivalent of the Chemistry Leaving Cert Papers all year!

Despite all that, I still maintain that it's a fantastic opportunity for anybody who's interested in teaching/ travelling to be offered and you should go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭hunnybunny

I shouted........I shouted BIG-TIME!!............I used to get so frustrated with some of the rich, bossy, lazzeeeee kids that I would be so worked up that I felt couldn't do anything but shout, and I was never pulled up for it in my Choueifat School and neither were the other teachers.............now however I see the error of my ways.

Firstly...I was unqualified and hopelessly inexperienced at dealing with kids. Now, more times than not I can talk them out of bad behaviour before they even know they're going to do it. It's all about keeping them focused!! (With purposeful work in which they know how much you expect of them, how long they have to do it and what the consequences will be of doing the work well, or the opposite!) and having a system in place that makes the children want to work well......not just be afraid of working/ behaving badly...(eg....A Star Chart....or some imaginative variation on it...but the principle is the same).

Also allowing a child to cause you such frustration is not good either professionally or personally. Thinking back, it was on days that I wasn't feeling too great anyway that I was most likely to let rip with rage in class.

Despite all that, I still maintain that it's a fantastic opportunity for anybody who's interested in teaching/ travelling to be offered and you should go for it.
    +100%
    I was the exact same shouted and looking back really would never do that again. Shouting really means you ve lost control and you re desperate to get it back. Positivity is the key , I used to think that was a load of nonsense but after two years in England and dealing with chairs being thrown, children running out of class, spitting and swearing I realise its not. Most children just want to please and giving back agression to the pupil simply aggravates the matter. FIRMNESS and good boundaries with clear consequences are what children need. I ve emailed Jessie with some tips I would have liked to have had before I went out there. I might post them on a separate topic as it could help some others who go out there.

Hey could ya let us know where theyre posted when ya do, could really use that information! Thanks!

Ah good city Birmingham...just as many Irish there...Heard there was 9 from Ireland heading over newa...dont know ne1 going to Ruwais sarah, sorry..

So i will be on my own:( what age/subject are you teaching over there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭hunnybunny

alimai wrote: »
    Hey could ya let us know where theyre posted when ya do, could really use that information! Thanks!

Happy to help. I post my own thread titled behaviour tips for Sabis. But I ll post them here too.

Just thought I d share my experience of working in Sabis schools and what I would have done differently if I was to do it again.As well as my year in Chouefait I have taught for two years in a really challenging school in the UK where children can run out of class, throw chairs, spit and swear blind. Choueifat seems like a walk in the park in comparison. Here are some things I have learnt from my experience

1. The absolute Golden rule is SHOUTING is not a form of discipline. 9 times out of 10 it means the teacher has lost control and children pick up on it. Shouting is only a last resort if the pupil is about to cause themselves or another pupil harm. Children eventually become used to shouting if its used every day and then it is completely ineffective even in emergencies when it may be appropriate.
    Now discipline is different. It can come in many forms. The school does have corridor supervisors for discipline eg calling home, keeping them outside, telling them off in Arabic but I would keep that in reserve for extreme circumstances.

2. Be clear on your expectations eg if you say no talking that means no talking, make sure children know what they have to do. Boredom can lead to dispruptive behaviour. If a child is on task they are less likely to misbehave.

3. PRAISE the good behaviour eg Look at Mohommed sitting beautifully oooh lets see who else is?

4. Use rewards for good children and take them away from children who are not behaving. I used stickers, sweets, postcards anything I could get my hands on.
    Star of the day is a good idea and when a child who can be naughty makes an effort make sure it is recognised either verbally or with a reward.

5. Sanctions can include taking away treats and rewards, missing a couple of minutes of breaktime. BUT make sure the child understands why you have done that. Use a child who speaks good English if nessecary.

6. The most important thing to remember you CANNOT control a childs behaviour only YOUR own. If you panic, shout, become angry you have lost the battle and the child will know he or she got to you. It can be difficult but remain calm, be firm and don t get into a shouting match with a child. Leave them to calm down and then speak with them after and tell them what they did wrong.

Hope these tips help....

Thanks for that!

Nah id say there is a bunch from england going aswel...we're not a bad crowd newa...im not sure what age im teaching yet, they'll tell me when i get out there.,..depends on how many enrol they were saying. have you heard anything urself? got a message from them during the week...training starting the 25th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Gaff84, text speak is not permitted on Boards. Please use your full keyboards. Thanks.

Nah id say there is a bunch from england going aswel...we're not a bad crowd newa...im not sure what age im teaching yet, they'll tell me when i get out there.,..depends on how many enrol they were saying. have you heard anything urself? got a message from them during the week...training starting the 25th.

Im sure we'll all get on just fine:) yeah they offered me the position teaching kindergarden and year 1. ive only just finished uni so ive got to wait till i get my degree certificate before they can apply for my visa!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 seanfada

Having worked for SABIS for many years and being Irish I must commend and agree with the objective advice given in the above posts..........If you are coming out for the first time you should re read the advice given above.

Also if you wish to receive important updates it would be a good idea to sign up with twitter and follow @teachingindubai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 HKL

Hi!

I'm very interested in this thread regarding working with Sabis for the coming school year.

I had a phone interview last Thursday - it was a pleasant experience, there were no hard questions. I have over 10 years' teaching experience in the Far East and have lived in Muslim countries before, so I'm not expecting the culture shock to be too overwhelming.

What I'd like to know is if anyone else was interviewed last week? I've been told to expect to hear within another week or so whether or not I've been selected for a second interview.

Seanfada, you seem to know more than most about school - are you still there? I've got two children (aged 7 & 9) and wonder if the package will be enough to sustain us all?

I'm not working at the moment, and think that a move to the ME for a job - even if only for a year or two - beats trying to make ends meet on social welfare in Ireland!

Any and all thoughts and comments gratefully received.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Missy L

Hey Everybody

I have a SECOND phone interview on Monday. My first phone interview was in January and I thought they may interview face to face like they said, however they have decided to carry out a second phone interview. Im really scared as I dont know what to expect and how different can a second interview be to the first one? Im from the Midlands in UK and have seen alot of people from Dublin be offered a job..Im wondering why UK is lagging behind???????

I hope I dont mess it up as its a really good opportunity and I have waited like 6 months for them to get back to me :(

Any tips, advice or information will be much appreciated by ANYONE :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 HKL

Congratulations on getting a second interview!

When did you hear about it? I had a first interview last Thursday and they said they would let me know within week - which, technically, is only tomorrow - so I shouldn't be too concerned yet, right? :)

Anyway, I'd imagine that a second interview will be more for you to ask questions and for them to go in to more detail about the teaching method they employ and what, exactly, will be expected of you. Also, I'd expect that there will be a more detailed discussion of the package and the salary etc.

Not having had a second interview with Sabis, I'm only guessing. Good luck - and let us know how you get on.

H

• Advertisement

Hey...I couldn't make my face to face interview so I organised a 2nd phone interview with them and it was very straightforward...basically it was asking if I really wanted it, can I settle into a new culture, am I willing to commit for at least a year etc etc....they then give you a lowdown of the package and what to expect....it is really straightforward so I wouldn't get too stressed over it!!!
    Best of Luck

Advertisement