Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Demons Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,318 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I stuck with it for a good amount of time - say I got halfway through before other games grabbed my attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,318 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I should also say, personally speaking, if you don't like the first level then there is no way you will like the rest of the game.

I really thought the first level had great design, structure, pacing etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,005 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

im sorry but this is just bull. There is no way anyone can pick this game up for the first time and get through it in an hour. Sure even talking to the first few people in the nexus takes 10 mins. Maybe if you stick to a playthrough guide or possibly know the game inside out before you start but I prefer to play a game myself, not copy someone else's game, where's the fun in that.

Im not denying the game is good, it just didnt grab my attention. couldnt see any reward to playing it to be honest and had no interest in the story (if there was even one) as it didnt feel like i was achieving anything or heading towards an ultimate goal

Well he never said on your first go but there are speed runs online of people getting through the game in little over an hour. I don't think you gave the game enough of your time because it was one of the most rewarding gaming experiences I've had. It might not be for you but it would be a shame to miss out if it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well he never said on your first go but there are speed runs online of people getting through the game in little over an hour. I don't think you gave the game enough of your time because it was one of the most rewarding gaming experiences I've had. It might not be for you but it would be a shame to miss out if it is.

I haven't played it yet, (should have it this week) but i've read a ton about it. Do you think it's just a case that the vast majority of games these days do too much hand holding and people are not use to the level of difficulty anymore, or that they just don't "get" the expirience or? how many hours did you put into it retr0?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,005 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

ntlbell wrote: »
    I haven't played it yet, (should have it this week) but i've read a ton about it. Do you think it's just a case that the vast majority of games these days do too much hand holding and people are not use to the level of difficulty anymore, or that they just don't "get" the expirience or? how many hours did you put into it retr0?

That's exactly it. I had no trouble with being sent back to the start of the level to do it again. Firstly playing the game was fun, it also teaches you to play the game much more cautiously and sets up a termendous amount of tension. There's no cheap deaths in the game, if you die it's your fault. Any muppet can grind their way through todays games through repetition even at the higher difficulties. For Demon's Souls you've got to learn to be good at it. Demon's Souls is even all that difficult. I've played much more difficult games and beaten them.

I put 50 hours into it on my first play through and gave the game to my friend for a lend who won't play it. I want it back now because I'm dying to start a new game with a magic based character and go through a new game+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭SK1979

I put 50 hours into it on my first play through and gave the game to my friend for a lend who won't play it.

I think this is definitely one of the key points. My first playthrough took at least 45 hours too. You need to be prepared to put the time into the game. To be honest, the difficulty is overblown. If you put a couple of hours into it, you'll learn the level inside out and you will clear it. Its all about caution though. Walk around corners with your shield up constantly.

And as others have said, the tension and atmosphere is incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Games definately hold your hand these days, this smacks it away and gives you the 2 fingers. I think people don't get the experince on this because they don't stick around long enough or go near the online side of it. for me it was 2 seperate games, there was single player side of it and then invading\helping side of it, both very good experiences. There was so many ways to go at the game\levels, do you want to be a tank block and bash, sneaky sneak up and backstab, or be a mage. There's so many different ways to go at the game\levels, you're constantly finding something new.

Dunno about retro but i played the game solid for pretty much a year, platinumed the asian, us and eu versions. 1 save\character i had was at around the 280 hour mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Well he never said on your first go but there are speed runs online of people getting through the game in little over an hour.

well if we're going to be nitpicking, he pointed out that i was spending hours playing it

anyways.....ive no problem with the difficulty of it to be honest, i did enjoy the fact when i went back, tried a different strategy and passed that section. In 1-2 though i had to do this loads of times and just got pissed off when i spent ages getting back to the last point on the bridge in 1-2 and lost a load of souls twice. never went back to it after that (even though someone suggested i should have tried a different level first) just dont have the time to play and get so little back. maybe thats the problem, this game gives you very little in return for your effort as opposed to being difficult, hence the frustration at easy deaths

If im honest though i just dont enjoy this style of gameplay. played ff7 years back and that was about as close as i got to fantasy character building really. not even sure if you'd class them in the same genre

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

played ff7 years back and that was about as close as i got to fantasy character building really. not even sure if you'd class them in the same genre

You most definitely wouldn't :confused:

I've been meaning to go back to it lately as well, and might pick it up again next week. I traded it in a few months back, as i was **** broke :(

That answers that question then :)

• Advertisement

i spent ages getting back to the last point on the bridge in 1-2 and lost a load of souls twice. never went back to it after that (even though someone suggested i should have tried a different level first)

Well there's your problem right there. 1-2 is definitely not a level you should try at low levels. It's quite tough and there are no shortcuts. You should have started with 2-1 and 3-1 and gotten the magic and balcksmith benefits of both those stages and a few level ups before attempting 1-2. No point blaming the game when you played it wrong and it gave you the choice to pick other levels.

Also FFVII and Demon's Souls are totally different games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

I think I'm on 112 hours so far and I'm just on 1-4 at
    the bottom of the stairs with the dragon at the top
    evey other level and section completed.

And I have to say thank **** for that, have found this game to be tough but almost any accomplishment is a "punch in the air moment" as it's a tough ****er to do.

I must be barmy but I'm considering going through again, well once I've got past this bit and sorted everyone after it out...

1-4 is a whore of a level with a nasty boss with the nastiest attack in the game (it levels you down!) so good luck!

Finish it and try the next playthrough and prepare for a surprise. As for 1-4 go with 1 or 2 blue phantoms, the boss is dead easy then, he can't seem to handle multiple targets. what drove me mad about 1-4 was battling the dragon and then all of a sudden you get XXXXX has invaded your world.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Noffles wrote: »
    I must be barmy but I'm considering going through again, well once I've got past this bit and sorted everyone after it out...

NG+,
    The gap between NG and NG+ is more (around 200%), but each subsequent NG+ is only 8% more life from there.

Heh, heh, heh...

A door opened to the next section. Forgive me for playin the game 'wrong', I must've missed the signs on the wall saying dont go this way until you do bla bla bla

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

im sorry but this is just bull. There is no way anyone can pick this game up for the first time and get through it in an hour. Sure even talking to the first few people in the nexus takes 10 mins. Maybe if you stick to a playthrough guide or possibly know the game inside out before you start but I prefer to play a game myself, not copy someone else's game, where's the fun in that.

Sorry, meant to put a ":p" in my previous post. Wasn't trying to be smart.

A door opened to the next section. Forgive me for playin the game 'wrong', I must've missed the signs on the wall saying dont go this way until you do bla bla bla

Well we did warn you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

damn it, i feel like Cartman outside gamestop, waiting for nintendo Wii...

" COme on....... Come on........ "

Got message, that its dispatched... hopefully i will get it this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Can only agree with those saying how rewarding an experience this game can be.

The character building element is deeper than any game I've come accross. Having spent 40 hours on my first playthough as a Magic based character I went back and started again with a melee build (of which there are many!) and enjoyed it on an entirely new level (the bosses, for one, are such a different proposition and require entirely new tactics - Melee the Flamelurker anyone!:P).

I then went on and played NG+ with both characters and I got a whole new challenge.

• Advertisement

Finish it and try the next playthrough and prepare for a surprise. As for 1-4 go with 1 or 2 blue phantoms, the boss is dead easy then, he can't seem to handle multiple targets. what drove me mad about 1-4 was battling the dragon and then all of a sudden you get XXXXX has invaded your world.

Cool, cheers for that... I'm finding it hard getting up the stairs though with the fire breath, any tips?

Ring of flame resistance and cast water veil to bump up your fire resistance, make sure your armour is light enough to be able to run at full speed and its just a case of timing after that. If you have the old kings armour or the binded set armour, use them they're light and have pretty good fire res. If you learned 2nd chance it comes in handy too.

BTW you know you can kill the dragon, once you get under his ark of fire, hit R3 to target and bow him or soul srrow him to death. you'll need a bucketload of arrows\spices to get him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Brilliant game, I feel like typing a massive rant about how awesome this game is and how silly people are for not giving it a chance but Retro and the likes have already said everything that needs to be said.

Its not as hard as people think, but if your a feckin eejit and dive head 1st at all the enemies button mashing away like I see so many people do when I click blood stains.... your gonna get killed fast, and its your own fault.

Funnily enough, I always tend to get really far when I 1st play a level. Its because I dunno what's around the next corner and I'm playing with full concentration and caution. I'd often get very close to the end, then die for whatever reason. And its THEN that I start dying more often in that level cause I start trying to rush back to where I was. Not taking enemies seriously enough etc.

Just recently those big giant trolls on level 5-2. I kicked their asses on my 1st encounter with them cause I took them very seriously.

It was only later when I was trying to get back to where I was that I realised how powerful they are, one shot killing me with their clubs. (I never got hit the 1st time)

Anyway, I'm level 70 at the moment and I'm starting to fear I'm missing out on a lot of the online.

I can never seem to be able to invade anyones world. Only once did I get a message saying someones invaded mine only for a message to appear 2 mins later saying he was dead some how....

I've helped people out a couple of times in soul form. Only once have I encountered a message letting me ask someone to my world.

I know online itself is working since messages , peoples ghosts and bloodstaines are all working.

I imagine this is to do with how late I've gotten the game compared to everyone else who seemed to be playing it back in 2009.

(I've since read this whole thread after getting the game, seeing posts by people saying they wanna play in offline cause so many people are invading them and I'm like wtf? :confused: )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Anyone else keep losing connection to Demon's Souls server?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

finally played that boss I kept hearing about that a player takes over its body.

I beat the guy and was happy that my 1st time fighting the boss I was able to beat him.

But the fight itself was disappointing. Was really messy and random, mainly due to lag. I'd be getting hit by melee damage even though I had dodged him and I'd be hitting him when he's visually not in range of my sword.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

just got in mail today, was nicely surprised when came back home from work.

played 2 hours, and it was prety cool. Love the messeges, i love even more to give false ones lol.

Completed it on Sunday, delighted to do it as well... what a twat of a game but rare do I feel i have actually accomplished somehting when completing a game... 115 hours to do it in the end... may consider doing it again with a different character, maybe the fella without any armour..

All in all... BRILLIANT!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

mine arrived today, that felt like an age.

Should have got a spare controller with it, I think I'm going to need it.

ntlbell wrote: »
    mine arrived today, that felt like an age.

Should have got a spare controller with it, I think I'm going to need it.

Spare window will come in handy too for when you try to throw the controller through it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

So where's the best place to buy this, is it available in shops or do you have to get it online? The reviews are so good I'm tempted but I've never come across it in a shop

Advertisement