Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Support for those quitting smoking

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Bridget75 wrote: »
    Hey great site for the support! I stopped smoking 6 days ago, yesterday and today I have had terrible cravings, woke up in a sweat last night too, feeling a bit light headed today too, i smoked 20 a day for over 10 years, is this all normal? btw, highly recommend Allen Carrs book ;)

You should try the patches to help with the cravings. Good luck and keep it up. A healthy body far outweighs the nicoteine hit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Subtle Troll

Nearly a month since I last posted and I bought like 2 packs of smokes in that time, took lots of freebies and was buyin them off a mate but seriously down.

Havn't had one in a few days now, was on a date and all and didn't smoke but had the cravings and Id say I was better off for it!

On a few a day every few days, really getting it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭goldenwonder

as long as that doesnt creep back up. it happens. i just made sure i didnt go over 5 a day in the first while before i had the e cigarette.
    after a while ya just get guilt for smoking more.
    good one thought.
    keep at it.
    im at 4 or 5 months now.
    had one.

Nearly bought a full pack today :eek:

But didn't in the end, just got what I wanted and left the shop,

Cant afford practically a tenner and the guilt, last pack I bought was manky so that helped!

Lost count now, am I at 5 days or more? Doin well though

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Little Mickey

I just had a peek here because I've started my road to recovery 3 days ago and so far it's thankfully a little easier than I expected. I only read the first page so excuse me if I repeat stuff. Was on approx. 15/day.

Just my little story:
    I've quit cold turkey. At the beginning of my second day just after eating breakfast, I got really dizzy and disorientated - lasted for about 2Hrs. I couldn't even stand up comfortably, had to sit/lie down all the time. I did a bit of googling in the evening and I don't know if it's right or wrong but it is a coincidence - I seen that if you give up smoking this can happen to you because oxygen levels to your brain increase significantly and it just takes a little while to get used to. Made me realise that maybe I could have done things better all those years if my brain was functioning correctly!!!

Just a few of my opinions, sorry if said before:
    Quitting with patch > making the misery longer, and harder as you come to the lighter ones, failed twice for me.
    Quitting cold turkey > well the first 2 days were tough but I'm really thinking about them less and less - just keeping doing what I'm doing if I want one, they seem to happen less and get shorter each time, I hope it keeps going this way.

I don't think it's a good idea to plan your quit date because you'll become more anxious as it approaches, you'll maybe put it off a few days and the circle continues - I know from experience. I was thinking for a number of months that I have to do it right this time and I was thinking about it more when I was smoking, then on Thursday as I was smoking, out of the blue I said that's it and I took the box out of my pocket and stood on it before dumping it - made me proud and has given me more drive since that spur of the moment decision.

The whyquite site is very good, downloaded the quit counter program too :)

Big long rant as usual from me, sorry!
    I'll try to provide a few updates - best of luck to me and all who have finally decided to cop on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Bridget75

Fair play to you! I am nearly 4 weeks off them now, for some reason i am struggling pretty bad today, I was able to manage being out on sat night and even sitting in the smoking area, maybe its a delayed reaction :confused:

I am not going to buy a pack cos i would feel so bad! This link is great for having an oul rant!

Bridget75 wrote: »
    I am not going to buy a pack cos i would feel so bad! This link is great for having an oul rant!

If you need to get individual cigs off a friend, the pack is way too easy to horse into when its there, I dunno if thats good advice but I weened myself off them.

Today the last time I smoked was I dunno when, I dont remember! Must be a week or more, I don't count the one I had on wednesday last, that was manky, made me feel sick, and wonder why I smoked at all. It proved to me that I was getting off them, cuz I didn't enjoy it at all.

12 days later and I havn't smoked.

Keep it going!!!
    22 days and I'm doing great thankfully, about €140 better off too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

20 days of them so far. Going ok, some cravings, but they will pass.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Username 10

I'm not a smoker, but my friends dad was telling me about when he quit, about 15 years ago. He said the cravings are like the feeling you get when your taking a steep drop on a roller coaster. He said anger was the technique that worked for him. Everytime he wanted a smoke he would think of money going into a republicans pocket ( he's very anti American government). In religion class we did a show of hands on how many people smoked, and then how many people were thinking of starting. Very few people put their hands up for either. I'd like to think that someday the world will be free of these cancer-sticks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

i quit by just simply QUITTING. no patches, no nothing. just pure determination, you will go through hell with cravings first couple of weeks but it took me 2 months i was completely off them and no more cravings. i smoked 20 a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

As an ex smoker . I would advise getting the biggest patches you can. Stage 1.

Try them. If you find its to easy, cut them in half with a pair of scissors .

It is a proven aid , why not use it. Save money by cutting the big patches to the dose you require . Its the same dose per inch as the later stage patches. You get less value by buying the later stage ones. they are just smaller.

I used them for 2 weeks . They really took the edge off . 2 years later im still of them. I had one last summer and it really disgusted me .

Good luck to all the new year quitters. This could well be the best choice you have every made;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

Day 3 for me here. Just dropped in and not sure if it is a good sign that I need to check on these boards. Have not had one since midnite on New Year's Eve.

scopper wrote: »
    Day 3 for me here. Just dropped in and not sure if it is a good sign that I need to check on these boards. Have not had one since midnite on New Year's Eve.
    Excellent, keep at it :)
    Once you have cleared the first approx. 3 days you've cleared a massive hurdle!

Day 66 here, 1004 not smoked, €428 saved

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭EriT

Day three for myself going cold turkey it has worked for me in the passed when i gave up for 8 months without a single smoke then i just got silly :mad: hoping this time will be better :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

Excellent, keep at it :)
    Once you have cleared the first approx. 3 days you've cleared a massive hurdle!

Day 66 here, 1004 not smoked, €428 saved

Yep still clean though cravings are more noticeable at this stage. Congrats :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Dalan

Scopper - EriT - "Post for everyone who QUIT evil fags" has a good few newly quit like yourselves.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ruthie113

coming to end of day 2 today! :( gone from 15 a day to nothing. Did it before for 2 weeks and then stupidly went back on them.

Its ok for now but I am worried about social situations where I used to smoke? like going for coffee or going for drinks. how did other people find that?

I think the mental withdrawal is worse than the physical, I feel a bit sad today, but I am NOT giving in....determined this time. :confused:

Day 2 for me. Had my last cigarette ever yesterday morning. Using the patches and feeling good. I spent a fotune on the patches last year trying to give up every second week.

Really want it this time though. Was off them for 3 years a few years back but went back on them while on holiday in Spain. For me, it really is a case of having one, back on them. So zero tolerance this time.

Fingers crossed. Good luck to everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Money Tree

Gave up at 11.30 Sunday night.
    The longest ive lasted smoke free is 4 months in the past but hoping to finally kick the habit this time

I think i'm done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 LostChild

I quit smoking 4 days ago. I smoked 10 home rolled Amber Leaf cigs every day for the last 3 years, and before that smoked Benson and Hedges for 9 years. Since I've quit I feel awful, like I have flu. Anyone else feeling woeful since they quit? I'm not going to give in, in fact now that I feel sick, it's easier not to want cigarettes! I'd just rather not feel sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

Hi guys. Great to see all the support for people trying to quit.
    I just quit on new years eve after smoking maybe 10 a day, more at the weekends. After many futile attempts to stop and fooling myself by cutting down, I decided this was it. My brother quit the same time as me which was good to have the support. He got the Allen Carr book for Christmas but I was going to go cold turkey. When he read it he advised me to read it too so I did.
    I'm half way through it now and it has totally changed my outlook. I'm focused more on the benefits of quitting and not smoking than feeling I'm depriving myself of something. If you're thinking of stopping, I'd at least recommend you to read the book. It costs less than the price of a pack of smokes.
    I havn't had the urge to have a cigarette which feels weird. I thought the book would be brainwashing/ mind-f**king but it just gives you a different perspective. He smoked 100 a day for 33 years.
    Keep up the good work guys. I'm back in the gym and notice I can go longer on the cross trainer already without having to stop for a break to catch my breath as was the case before. I have noticed the smell when walking past smokers and feel kind of ashamed that I was like that too.
    Day 12 and €51.30 saved so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

zyban this was best i ever tried buit unfortunatly my wife was diagnosed with cancer while i was on it,so this put everythin up in the air

when i tried it 2 years later it affected my mind so i had to drop it:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 waza

I was surprised that Laser Treatment was not an option on the Stop Smoking Poll.I got the Laser Treatment in a clinic on Westland row last November and still am off the "fags". Can really recommend The Laser Stop Smoking Clinic on Westland Row.Workrd for me.

waza wrote: »
    I was surprised that Laser Treatment was not an option on the Stop Smoking Poll.I got the Laser Treatment in a clinic on Westland row last November and still am off the "fags". Can really recommend The Laser Stop Smoking Clinic on Westland Row.Workrd for me.

Never heard of it. What exactly do they laser?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Cummybaby

I've been smoking for 6 years. The longest i stayed off was two weeks. The funny thing is that when you quit smoking the health and finance benefits are immediate. You walk around looking at other people smoking thinking how much of a fool they are. You say to yourself "I haven't bought a pack today, so that's a tenner saved for petrol/food/rent etc. Then if you slip back into smoking (like i have countless times) your newfound awareness of health and savings disappear or are blocked out by the cravings.

Another thing I've noticed is that when i did quit, my smoking friends reacted unexpectedly. They were either unsupportive, cynical or even suspicious of me not smoking. Akin to upsetting members of a club.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭El Nino09

Hi
    Planing on using the patches to kick the habit jst wondering when is the best time to put the 1st one on , late at night or 1st thing in the morning? Any advice please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

Hi El Nino, fair play for deciding to quit. I tried the patches and the gum too and I was still craving nicotine and ended up back on them. I read the Allen Carr book and I'm a non smoker now for the last 23 days and €85.50 better off. I have nothing to do with Allen Carr and thought it would be rubbish but its the best decision I ever made. Feel great!

Advertisement