Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Support for those quitting smoking

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DubMad

Day three!! Thanks for all the tips on this forum, been really helpful to read through and also just to hear other people getting through it. Im going cold turkey and so far its been ok. Im ticking my days off on the kitchen calendar, also have friends to call when Im finding it tough and need some encouragement and thats been great, helpful to be able to pick up the phone, that craving does pass if I go and do something else. Mind you its only been three days but its a start! Good luck to everyone whos doing their best to give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

what remedies can i get with a medical card?

You can get most of it with medical card - patches, gum, inhaler etc, but need to see GP for prescription first. They're quite good with advice too and helping to pick what to go for and putting you in touch with support groups if you're into that too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 YummyMummy84

Hi its only day 1 for me head feelslike its gonna explode have nicorette inhaler

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭happydayz8

On Champix - took the first one today. My last day of smoking is set for Thursday, last cig on Wednesday. I wrote down all the reasons I want to quit on cards and I got myself some wool to do knitting - keep the fingers busy. So I'm not really a non-smoker yet. Any way, fingers crossed this will work. I'm excited!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭patmac

Quit yesterday Tuesday 2nd February. Really determined this time. Believe Cold Turkey is the only way. Was off them for 14 years went back on them full time last summer having the occasional smoke before with the Friday night pints and cards.
    So it's full detox for 7 days to flush the nicotine out of my system. No Cigs, alcohol, caffine, red meat, wheat and dairy products, surviving so far into day two, bit of a shock to the system but feel better already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gebie

Smoking can also affect your health. It can cause severe damage to your lungs, your bones, and your heart.It is nice to live with a healthy body and sleeps soundly at night when i know that i have a healthy lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭{^Syntax^}

Cold turkey is the fast method of giving them up for good. Did it 10 years ago and never looked back!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Missy86

Gave up smoking on monday, day 4 and i feel great :) (so far) Some great tips in this forum. Thanks guys!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 fionab2010

I smoked my last cigarette last Saturday, 20th of Feb !!
    I did it using champix, i figured out i hated smoking but i smoked because i have anxiety problems, i tried quitting every other way but nothing worked.
    Champix helped me the most, because it relaxes me, so i am off them 1 week today.

I smoked for 10 years about 20 a day...

I feel good about myself, and i look forward to becoming healthy...

Well done to everyone who has quit and good luck to those of you still on the road, keep going...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Day 1 as of today when I had a revelation in the shower..... Don't ask.

I've a long commute so I bought myself some nicotine gum... I thought I was gonna get sick but I figure that's what it's supposed to do. Make you feel sick so that you don't need to smoke.

Just on the way home now and am going to buy Alan Carr's book. I believe it does wonders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

I was off them for 4 months last year and went back on them.
    Off them 2 days now....
    I just keeping thinking of my health, kids, money and the rotten whiff of them.
    Am trying to stay off the drink too cos that's where I always fail:o

• Registered Users Posts: 6 janesligo

Hey all,
    Im day 17 off the fags, and cant believe Ive actually got this far. I absolutely loved my fags, smoked anywhere betwee 25- 30 per day.
    Im on the patches and seeing a smoking cessation officer. I def think there helping.
    Finding it real hard at weekends and eating like a lunatic, but im still smoke free and dont cough or wheezze anymore. had a break out of mouth ulcers and blisters but all the horrible stuff has cleared up.
    To all who are in the process of giving up, keep at it. Like they say inn AA.. 1 day at a time but I think when it comes to he fags its one minute at a time. Ona a gud buzz at the mo, but just give me half hr.......
    anyone else go thru this??? or am i a bit of a skitso??haha

• Registered Users Posts: 6 janesligo

I commute daily to, just under 2 hours. Lollipops and gud ould fashioned calipso bars are great-keep ur mouth busy plus a few gud CDS and singing like mad to them helps(as long as no passangers with ya) haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Hi all, i'm so glad i got the internet in work and have been able to find this topic and read through all your experiences here, i am now on page 8 since yesterday:).
    I have been smokin since i was 13/14 and now 28 and on 20 or more a day. I have givin up smoking before with the patches about 5 years ago and lasted 3 months with no pangs and felt great but did the usual, had a smoke with a pint and bought a pack, stupid but what can you do.
    I moved in with a very heavy smoker last year and she read carr's book (which i had read bhefore and found great but i didnt last) and is now off them 8 weeks and looks at smokers with distaste and calls me a dirty smoker which she swore she would never say when she gave up but thats her view now i guess lol. I started reading the carr book again in feb and stopped readin on the last few pages cause i didnt want to give up i guess, i would smoke 2 in the morning before work 3 on break 3 at lunch 3 at evenign break and smoke in my room at night till bed and find it hard to sleep due to the nico. I am also a heavy sweater during the day and take this to being a dirty smoker. I never relised that i smell horrible and have really bad breath untill reading here, thats a big wake up for me as i love smelling nice (lol).
    So i have decided, i am going to give up on monday morning, using my will power and also use those new nico tab mints too. One prob i do have is that my brother is having a stag weekend in berlin in two weeks, and all his friends smoke, if i smoke i smoke, not going to beat myself up about it, but i will try my best, then his wedding is in may so big days coming up.

I will keep you all updated and well done to everyone on here who has beatin the dirty weed that is really not needed at all!!!

Sorry for the long winded storys lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Starting right now, I'm not smoking anymore. Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Eithrin

Hi all, i smoked for almost 25 years started when i was 13, 20 fags a day, tried to give em up before with patches, carr's book, cold turkey and so on. Never succeded...until now i hope i am off the fags with about 7 or 8 weeks, had almost a nervus breakdown days before i smoked my last cigi...guess the monster in the head rebelled because it knew that this time it might work and it wont have a place in my life anymore. Champix realy helped have hardly gravings and feel much better in my skin.
    Dream about smoking almost every night though:confused:and when i get up in the morning i am just glad that it was only a dream.
    Go to your GP if nothing else worked. It might work for you to....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭thefinner

Hi all....Off the fags 4 weeks now . On the patches, working fine . I'm smoking 21years on about 30 a day never tried to give them up before but so far so good. Good luck to all who are trying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Well, after my last post, I'm off them nearly a year I'm delighted to say :) Best wishes to all of you who are still trying. Cold turkey, Alan Carr, whyquit.com, loads of fruit and veg ( I bought a blender for smoothies ), some form of reasonable exercise and erring on the side of caution when it comes to going out boozing worked for me. I feel much better in lots of different ways although I was someone really enjoyed smoking, and its defo do-able if you come up with a plan thats suits you and stick to it. One thing I wasnt expecting was a sweet tooth, I never thought I had one but it was smoking just hid it really...still, no biggie, and after 11 months Ive lost about a stone through diet, exercise and the occasional beer. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭havetoquit

Hi Colin and huge thanks to you and all those who have kindly taken time to give the benefit of their advice and to emphatise with those of us who are in this situation.

I will take a look at the site in question Colin and wonder if these products are available here in Ireland.

Best of Irish to all who are making this effort and I wish you all success, inner peace and the resilience to attain your goal. I so want to be free of this dreadully unhealty filthy habit which has absolutely no positives what so ever, well not in my opinion. I know that for myself I only feel guilt, weakness, lack of self control and a profound disappointment in myself after each cigarette, so who wants to live like that and the momentary enjoyment it gives is surely not worth the side effects that go with it.

I can and I will is my mantra now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Ardent

Wow, over 3 and a half years since I last posted in this thread. Still off the fags, which makes it over 4 years now since my last one. Thank you Mr Allen Carr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Four years off this week.

I recall posting something on this forum after 1 year I think it was.

I was on 25 a day for 20 years and had a good few false starts. Getting into the correct frame of mind before quitting is 9 tenths of the battle. Dont even bother trying to quit is you retain one vestige of belief in the "pleasure" of smoking - you have to HATE them and hate your habit.

Anyway, good luck to everyone struggling to quit out there

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Brandon111

did make use of zyban generic and it really helped quit smoking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Jerry - Free and Healing for One Month, Five Days, 16 Hours and 59 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 2 Days and 13 Hours, by avoiding the use of 734 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me €295.95.

36 days off the fags at the minute...Patches at the minute...

Smoker for the last 30 years except for a 5 year spell between 1995 and 2000 when I was doing so well I decided to "just have 1" :(

Promising myself a pioneer plasma if I can stay off them for a year!

Woohoo...

Coming up on 2 years off them now on October 14th (Budget day 2008)...
    The odd craving over the last 2 years but very rare...

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭goldenwonder

im still not smoking since late the last week of may. wish i could remember the date.
    I found e cigarettes at Toys for big boys in january. had a think about it with some research. eventually bought one.

carried it everywhere. I was able to cut down first. about 5 a day.
    one day i had one at night before bed. and the next day the same. all by using the e cigarette. after a week or so i didnt have that one.
    kept the e cigarette with me and barely used it.. only knowing that it was on hand made it easier..

even when i was in the mindset of, i dont need to, i still went and smoked during that week or so, just to smoke while i didnt want to to turn me off it.
    after about a month i left the e cigarette at home.

but it does work in 3s
    first 3 days are the worst
    then after 3 weeks
    im now about 3 months gone and i have the urge now and again.

mostly what stops me is
    i have to give up for good sometime
    there's no point smoking that 1 to have to start all over again

btw, was out in the pub the other night, drinking for the first time in ages,
    didnt think about smoking
    happy days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Subtle Troll

Well done bout the pub thats the hardest by far.

I have smoked the last 4 days :(

I was off them for 4 days or so before that.

Only 2-3 a day though, so not major, but it creeps back up.

little done is better than nothing. just gotta train yourself i think really.
    easier said than done.
    i knew that cold turkey worked for a few days at a time so i couldnt do that again.
    patches are good but you still have a psych addiction which the e cigs help.
    they are expensive to begin with. €40 and then a case of 50 cartridges for €50.
    its the same as 2-3 weeks smoking but last the equivelent of 6-8 weeks.

i still have over half of them. dont use them.

getting passed day 2 is an achievement.
    after that you should know that if you smoke again itl be a few minutes relief for a few days of pain.
    its really not worth it..
    and the longer you stay off them the more you feel it would be a waste to have to start giving up again.

http://www.mybrand.ie/
    there are alot of companies out there that make these. some more international and concrete but i went with these, the black one with blue light, cause its better to attract less attention indoors. oh completely legal inside,
    they;re indigenous and they did quite a good job of stopping my smoking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Subtle Troll

Yeah I might, had 3 today :rolleyes:

The cold turkey only works off and on like you said.

Might get one a dem, I'll look ridiculous but I could have it in work :D

you'l just get people intruiged by it. nobody is scabby to slag you over tryin to stop smoking.
    .it'd be different if you were tryin to be cool buyin one.
    either way, id take slaggin over cancer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Bridget75

Hey great site for the support! I stopped smoking 6 days ago, yesterday and today I have had terrible cravings, woke up in a sweat last night too, feeling a bit light headed today too, i smoked 20 a day for over 10 years, is this all normal? btw, highly recommend Allen Carrs book ;)

Advertisement