Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Support for those quitting smoking

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 krrh

46 hours so far for me and the hubby! and counting!!

its so hard - yesterday we were so snappy with each other but we talked last night and that seemed to help.

What i was wondering was what sort of side effects as such did you experience since you came of the smokes?

i have been coughing, getting sore heads, blood when i blow my nose (sorry if thats TMI) and my hubby has been getting sick as well

just wondering if anybody else is experiencing these sort of things?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

krrh wrote: »
    46 hours so far for me and the hubby! and counting!!

its so hard - yesterday we were so snappy with each other but we talked last night and that seemed to help.

What i was wondering was what sort of side effects as such did you experience since you came of the smokes?

i have been coughing, getting sore heads, blood when i blow my nose (sorry if thats TMI) and my hubby has been getting sick as well

just wondering if anybody else is experiencing these sort of things?

I was expecting these symptoms when I quit but they never came (smoked for 8 years). It must have differing effects on different people

thanks for the reply
    still very snappy with each other but other than that we are doing ok - still off them anyway.

I have been smoking between 5 & 10 per day for the last 13 years and my hubby he has been smoking about 20 a day for the last 12 years so we had a big habit

Def affecting him more than me but i suppose thats all to do with the levels we were takin in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Free and Healing for Six Months, Thirty Days, 12 Hours and 22 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 14 Days and 16 Hours, by avoiding the use of 4230 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me €1,728.26.

Plasma paid for, Bluray player paid for...Nice movie sound system next on the list...:P

I'm coming up on 3 years off them now on Oct 14h. Went off them the day of Lenihans Oct 14th 2008 budget when he added 50 cent to a 20 pack. Havent looked back since....If I could do the same with the wine I'd be a wealthy man.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

thanks for the reply
    still very snappy with each other but other than that we are doing ok - still off them anyway.

I have been smoking between 5 & 10 per day for the last 13 years and my hubby he has been smoking about 20 a day for the last 12 years so we had a big habit

Def affecting him more than me but i suppose thats all to do with the levels we were takin in!

How are you doing so far [10 days later?]

• Advertisement

we are both doin really well, 16 days so far and counting!!

thank you for asking!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

we are both doin really well, 16 days so far and counting!!

thank you for asking!!
    Great achievement for you both! Ye are over the worst of it now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mrshappy

Good to hear that - Day 2 for me, hopefully it will start to get easier soon. Not finding it 'too' bad but couldn't sleep last night, kept tossing and turning (not like me at all)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Erostaphanes

This is a great forum - it really helps to read all peoples troubles and triumphs kicking the habit. Thanks to all contributors.

Day 3 now myself and going ok. After maybe 20 years of smoking anything between 5 and 40 a day. Previous attempts rarely lasted more than a month but I'm more determined and prepared this time. Cravings are sometimes very strong here on day three but the battle is mostly a psychological one, even at this early stage. I have to keep reminding myself that its my own mind trying to tell me lies, and always with just one sneaky aim, and not to let that nictone mind get away with it.

I'd say that last line would only make sense to smokers who've quit or at least tried. To anyone else, it probably just sounds a bit insane.

Good luck to all quitters out there. I reckon it helps to keep visualising the positive things - picturing your future self as a happy non-smoker in fine health, with more money, better skin and smell, and not having dead dried weeds rolled up in paper telling you how to live your life.

And Werthers Originals. They help too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dhop

After smoking 15 to 20 a day for 19 years I quit on monday 24th october and loving it.:)

I have been trying to give up for years but never had the will power to last more than a few days. I used patches, gum etc and read allen carr book a couple of times, i just dont think i really wanted to quit.

This time i am going cold turkey, and i am 9 days in (longets ever) and loving it.
    Over the last couple of months i have been reading forums like this one and all the great stoiries about people quiting (well done all). This started to make me feel jealous of all those who managed to quit and i started to realise that i really want to quit.

So i just decided, i am going to finish this pack and that will be that.!!

So i had my last cig around 11pm, went to bed about 12 and was actually smiling, thinking that i have finally given them up for good.

It has been really tough and almost gave in a few times. But when i feel like giving in i just think of that smile and remind myself that this is what i want and i am not giving in.

So my thanks goes to all of you who post on forums like this for helping me realise what i want and giving me the motivation to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

hi all, been a while since I have been here so I said I'd post up. I'm Off them since the end of June. Quit a few times before but I feel as though I'm done with smoking this time. I just don't want fags anymore.
    Sure I get the odd craving but chewing gum and water are great for this.
    My secret?
    I made a 1oo% rock solid decision that I will not smoke anymore regardless of the craving. I can't over emphasise this point. Smoking is just not an option, like an alcoholic giving up drink, each fag is like a shot if whiskey. No such thing as one fag, I am addicted to nicotine forever.
    I decided that cravings will happen and will always pass but being smoke free is forever. This 'mantra' got me through the first 2 weeks of stopping and still serves me well today.
    I place cravings akin to when I'm cycling or running up a hill and its getting steep and tough and quitting crosses the mind..... Dig deep and get over the hill and enjoy going down the otherside. Same with a craving, see it for what it is and enjoy the feeling of success moments later when it passes.
    Remember that each craving is separate, don't think 'i have been craving all week's know the truth that as each one passes you grow stronger and closer to the day without one, for me this took about 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Hi All
    I have not posted on here for ages but am happy to say that I have not smoked a cigarette this year. Into my eleventh month now and delighted with myself. Yes, very occasionally I get the urge to smoke a cigarette but I have to tell myself that the relaxing big inhale and puff no longer exists for me. In reality, I would cough, get dizzy and feel sick. Like a previous poster said, I have accepted that I cannot run the risk of getting hooked again by smoking occasionally. (after 28 years as a smoker, I would not trust myself) I know that some people smoke when on a night out and then go back to being a non smoker again. This is not for me. I am happy not to smoke. There are so many benefits. I love being able to 'shut the door to keep the heat in' when it is cold outside, whereas before, my sitting room door was always open to let air circulate. Also, not getting wet next to an open window in the car when it is raining is great too.

To all of you on your non-smoker journeys, take it one day at a time. It is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭boodiebhoy

Well done to everyone who is still off them or just starting to quit. Once you stop you are a non smoker and even if you fall off the wagon you will get on again. Thankfully off them now for 11 years and I had a bad habit - ususally had the first one of the day before getting out of bed. Tried a few times to give them up cold turkey but only found success when used patches.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 NormBron

Hi, my mother has to give up smoking due to copd but she also suffers from a mild dementia so her good intentions are quite literally forgotten after a few days.

This means that i have to re-tell the conversation she had with her GP all over again, and because she isn't hearing it directly from the doctor, she is a little sceptical.

I have bought her the cigarette that glows and gives off smoke & contains nicotine but she says that she gets absolutely no satisfaction from it.

I thought it was the nicotine that you need and crave. Is that wrong? why wouldn't a product that has nicotine in it help her? Sorry if these sound like stupid questions but I don't smoke myself so don't quite understand it.

Would be grateful for any advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭sporina

Fionn wrote: »
    This month two years ago, midnight on the 11th of May 2003 to be exact, was the last time i smoked a cigarette
    dunno if it was a conscious decision to give them up, more a decision to NOT SMOKE!
    how did i do it? i can't really say, i do know that i had had enough of them. i hated all the negative aspects as have been mentioned already and after been a smoker for over 27 years or so i wanted to stop.

I remember going through the craving pangs and that for about a week I suppose the closest i could describe it is being hungry except in a different way!

I had never tried to not smoke before, so this was totally new territory for me. Having observed a person in work make an attempt and followed their progress and thought if they can do it so can I. Even when they failed this spurred me to maybe do better, it was a challenge!
    After the initial week had gone by and i was still reasonably sane I started to let people know that i wasn't smoking and i did get a lot of encouragement and support which i think was a benefit, getting positive feedback reinforces the decision. I also used a hypnosis CD which i listened to every night for maybe a forthnight. I'm sure this also had positive infulences and reinforced my no smoking campaign.

Why i have been successful so far i can't really put down to any one thing, only that as has been previously stated....when your absolutely convinced your ready and WANT more than anything to NOT SMOKE you may find success.

Do I miss smoking? nope!! i'm not bitter about it, i stopped for me no one else!! so I only miss the negative stuff like you'd miss a sore thumb :)

I occasionally still get the odd second of craving usually swiftly extinguished by five seconds of deep deep breathing, and remember us smokers can and do breathe deeper than the rest of the population so our lung capacity is actually a bit larger deep breathing is great!!!

I have been scared a few times having dreamed i was smoking, but hey i dream other things too!! ;)

Do i enjoy the benefits of NOT SMOKING? you bet!
    every morning i get into a clean car my clothes are clean, take in fresh air, don't stink of smoke, I never realised i smelled like a walking ashtray at one stage! don't seem to cough as often these days etc.

Might I smoke again? It's always possible!! but i haven't got that vision for myself and I think a lot of this is visualisation i visualise myself as a person who doesn't smoke, this has helped me to succeed so far and i believe will continue to. I've never looked back since!

Sorry for going on so much, this is my story so far. If even one person gets any inspiration from it or any of the others in the thread that'll be great!!

the very best of luck to anyone setting out on trying ---You Can Do It!!!
    :)

plan to clean out my car - thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭galwayhooker

Hi!so glad saw this forum.quit the ciggies last year - was never big smoker - jst bought the odd pack here and there.jst before Xmas tho have started on them again and am so disappointed in myself :( was so healthy last yr - did dublin city marathon for first time and did it in 3 hrs 53 min !!! Was so proud and had lost weight.
    Ended up with knee injury and since then have jst been so lazy . Sitting about smoking and eating and weight has cone back on again.have put my name down for cork marathon this yr in June and have decided no more excuses!!!back on the weight watchers and out with the cigarettes - wish me luck :)

Hi!so glad saw this forum.quit the ciggies last year - was never big smoker - jst bought the odd pack here and there.jst before Xmas tho have started on them again and am so disappointed in myself :( was so healthy last yr - did dublin city marathon for first time and did it in 3 hrs 53 min !!! Was so proud and had lost weight.
    Ended up with knee injury and since then have jst been so lazy . Sitting about smoking and eating and weight has cone back on again.have put my name down for cork marathon this yr in June and have decided no more excuses!!!back on the weight watchers and out with the cigarettes - wish me luck :)

best of luck - what is your quit plan?

i am giving up on Monday. Got patches today. I have made a list of the reasons why I am looking forward to being a non smoker. Role on Monday - sick of being a slave to the feckers. Oh god how the HATE cigarettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mightysurveyor

Day 4. Not feeling the need to pick up a smoke.

Also halfway through the Allen Carr book. The man was a genius pure and simple.

Reckon the weekend coming will be a big tester. Just gotta get the mind a bit more stronger before then and I should be laughing!

On a side note just seen Aviva Health has joined forces with Allen Carrs clinics to help their customers. Fair balls to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Bridget75

Went back on the dirty smokes last year :( but have been off them 4 weeks today, reallllly struggling again, yesterday I was convinced that I just couldnt do it, you know the way you compromise with yourself?? managed to get through the day and today isnt half as bad :) Eating all around me though, which isn't great, thats another days work!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mrshappy

Day 3 on patches for me. Tried so many times last year cold turkey, read alan carrs book but was like a bear so hope after a few weeks I will be able to go without the patches too.

• Advertisement

keep going yo guys - day 29 for me now.. can't believe it.

I think what has worked for me so far is that I just hated that I smoked.

And remember - smokers don't wanna smoke - so don't envy them!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

Day 4. Not feeling the need to pick up a smoke.

Also halfway through the Allen Carr book. The man was a genius pure and simple.

Reckon the weekend coming will be a big tester. Just gotta get the mind a bit more stronger before then and I should be laughing!

On a side note just seen Aviva Health has joined forces with Allen Carrs clinics to help their customers. Fair balls to them.

Have to agree anyone with half a brain has to get what he is tell you:) I had to laugh a chapter 21 the advantages to been a smoker haha ah hello feckin none

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sher90

Day 22 for me with patches which are making me feel sick.Also did anyone have terrible taste in their mouth that nothing gets rid of.:confused:

i am on day 39 using the 15 mg invisi patch - I don't find any side effects to be honest. They do work though. I find that if I don't put it on until later in the day (if i am having a shower late etc) then I think about smoking a lot more.

What strength are you on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Im on day 26 of my 40th attempt to kick the habit, not going to build my hopes up too much as I was off them for over a year before and stupidly went back on them, found an excuse with a stressful life situation!

No more though, don't need them. Don't want them.

I'm now on 7mg patches.I now think they have nothing to do with the sick stomach.I'm fed up feeling sick and still have terrible taste in my mouth,I'm taking anti-sickness tablets to see if they help.I'm on day 29 and do find the patches helpful like you said I don't think about cigs if I have a patch on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 FATTARSE

Right, this is it. I am off them since 9am Monday 05th March and I am staying off them forever. These posts help a lot!!

I'm on day 45/46.Was feeling very sick and blamed the patches but then found it is an old medical problem.Was put on steroids and within 3 hours the sick feeling was gone,now I have another problem I can't stop eating but I can only deal with one at a time so smoking first then the eating;).:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12 FATTARSE

Still smoke free!! Paddys weekend coming up BIG TEST.....

• Advertisement

Not too worried about Paddy's day but am about Spain in 2 weeks,cigs so cheap

Advertisement