Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did this 'Gard' abuse his power?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

:eek: This thread has turned into too much reading /technicalities for after hours! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

hightower1 wrote: »
    :eek: This thread has turned into too much reading /technicalities for after hours! :)

Yes your right, the whole thing is about the simple task of driving down the road, you would think it was a mission to mars except its a race to see who can get to the junction first.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Completely irrevelant as i presume the OP was not driving an ambulance.[/QUOTE

My point to rescue 16 is that when responding to a 999 call in his line of work he would want to be overtaking, that's why I was asking him what lane he would be in. I'm amazed if he's in the emergency services I.e fire, ambulance or Garda that he has not experienced fools hogging the outside lane not giving way to faster traffic. If anyone has driven abroad they will understand. But it's also basic rules of the road here as well, and we wonder why driving standards are so poor!

Bosco boy
    My point to rescue 16 is that when responding to a 999 call in his line of work he would want to be overtaking, that's why I was asking him what lane he would be in. I'm amazed if he's in the emergency services I.e fire, ambulance or Garda that he has not experienced fools hogging the outside lane not giving way to faster traffic.

O yea, that happens on every road, there are just incredibly stupid drivers in ireland, there is no argueing with that. Its beyond belief how stupid at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭paraletic

Bosco boy wrote: »
    If there are two lanes then the outside lane is an overtaking lane, if you are responding to a 999 call with blues and twos and driving on that road what lane would you be in?

passing on the left is mental no matter what you drive.
    so you would try to use the overtaking lane.
    .( although, bus lane in heavy traffic)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Gucky wrote: »
    The Naas road is not a motorway, its only a main road, therefore there is no ' overtaking lane on it, (check that out if you doing believe me)

More than one lane = Keep left unless overtaking or where you need to make a turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

More than one lane = Keep left unless overtaking or where you need to make a turn.

I was turning right at the junction.

How many times?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

How many times?

yet he had plenty of time to go around you. you've changed your tune since page one when it was just that it wasnt a motorway that meant you could cruise along in any lane. You clearly have no grasp of the rules of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

How many times?

Did I say otherwise? I was merely pointing out that your statement (as quoted) was incorrect.

zuroph wrote: »
    yet he had plenty of time to go around you. you've changed your tune since page one when it was just that it wasnt a motorway that meant you could cruise along in any lane. You clearly have no grasp of the rules of the road.

A fella is driving in the overtaking lane, overtaking cars, driving at the speed limit, what rule was he breaking? Do you ever go over the speed limit? I bet you have done sometime. Does that now mean you have no grasp of the rules?

How do you know the other driver had plenty of time to do anything, you were there watching were you? He obviously did not have that much time to pass, he was stopped at the junction at the same time as the OP. Maybe it was all an illusion.

• Advertisement

A fella is driving in the overtaking lane, overtaking cars, driving at the speed limit, what rule was he breaking? Do you ever go over the speed limit? I bet you have done sometime. Does that now mean you have no grasp of the rules?

How do you know the other driver had plenty of time to do anything, you were there watching were you? He obviously did not have that much time to pass, he was stopped at the junction at the same time as the OP. Maybe it was all an illusion.

eh, if he could go around the left of him, the OP wasnt overtaking anyone.

the lack of grasp of rules of the road is in reference to the fact that the OP thinks its only on a motorway that you have to keep left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭rescue16

Bosco boy wrote: »
    Completely irrevelant as i presume the OP was not driving an ambulance.[/QUOTE

My point to rescue 16 is that when responding to a 999 call in his line of work he would want to be overtaking, that's why I was asking him what lane he would be in. I'm amazed if he's in the emergency services I.e fire, ambulance or Garda that he has not experienced fools hogging the outside lane not giving way to faster traffic. If anyone has driven abroad they will understand. But it's also basic rules of the road here as well, and we wonder why driving standards are so poor!
    I actually have experienced this but not that much as we give plenty of notice when we are approching traffic and i would be on the outside lane but in fairness i have not come accross many people that wont try to pull in when safe to do so. We can only hope they pull in but if they dont there is not much we can do to force them as there is no law yet saying you have to pull in for the emergency services .

Post #99 does show a dangerous swerve into the left lane to pass out another car is possible. A bit of common sense is required, not an "expert on driving" while on a keyboard. Anyone that drives knows and has seen the type of passing out showing in post #99. And that type of driving highly annoys other drivers. Yet while typing about it, everyone seems to just quote the overtaking rule, no other road safety rules matter once our superdrivers cant speed down the overtaking lane unhindered by slow speed limit drivers.

What about when that section of road is grid locked, do the rules change then? No one is overtaking so should every car now be in the left lane?

yeah, but thats filmed in Cork, so inadmissable in evidence. :pac:

point stands that OP stated that because its not a motorway, he doesnt have to keep left. wrong.

the lack of grasp of rules of the road is in reference to the fact that the OP thinks its only on a motorway that you have to keep left.

Its safe to assume you know every single rule in the book so, not beyond the realms of possibility probably. But if every person who did their test re did it now, i doubt we would all pass again even if we did know every rule. Its only a drive down a road, not the end of the world though. People when driving seem to change into savages almost wanting to find people making mistakes. We all make them, but judging by this thread maybe there are perfect drivers after all.

point stands that OP stated that because its not a motorway, he doesnt have to keep left. wrong.

Is that all your looking for, to prove he is wrong. I thought today was monday earlier. Wrong:D

but how do you EVER come to the conclusion that you dont have to keep left unless its a motorway?! How has the OP always thought this?! Its SOooooo wrong it beggars belief.

Its just very frustrating that there are drivers on the road who genuinely believe stuff like that. As you say yourself, its just driving, it aint rocket science, yet there is people driving who manage to mangle a simple "keep left" rule.

Its safe to assume you know every single rule in the book so, not beyond the realms of possibility probably. But if every person who did their test re did it now, i doubt we would all pass again even if we did know every rule. Its only a drive down a road, not the end of the world though. People when driving seem to change into savages almost wanting to find people making mistakes. We all make them, but judging by this thread maybe there are perfect drivers after all.
    Anyone thats thinks they are a perfect driver are only fooling one person themselves. There is no such thing as a perfect driver .

but how do you EVER come to the conclusion that you dont have to keep left unless its a motorway?! How has the OP always thought this?! Its SOooooo wrong it beggars belief.

I was drivin in china before and had to keep right on the dual`r:D.

• Advertisement

rescue16 wrote: »
    Anyone thats thinks they are a perfect driver are only fooling one person themselves. There is no such thing as a perfect driver .

I think some really believe they are though.

Its just very frustrating that there are drivers on the road who genuinely believe stuff like that. As you say yourself, its just driving, it aint rocket science, yet there is people driving who manage to mangle a simple "keep left" rule.

It can be annoying alright when a slow driver is in the overtaking lane, but there are so many annoying things, roundabouts are the most frustrating with drivers clueless, and one of most annoying i see more of now since the M3 opened is people driving down the ramps onto the motorway at 60 or 70kph then struggle to merge in, that to me defies belief as its so simple to understand the merging concept but a lot dont. Drive you mad our drivers wouldn`t they.

I've as much of a grasp of the road as you have It'd imagine.
    What the fcuk would you know about it if you weren't there?

Read the rest of the fcuking thread smart hole, move on from the 'keep left' part, instead of giving your two cents when you clearly don't have the first notion what your talking about.

I was overtaking a line of cars.
    I was doing the MAX speed limit.
    I was turning right in less then a mile (prob half a mile)

Now, I've given three good reasons why I have a100% competent grasp of the road, I know the rules of the road, and I do my best not to break them.
    Just because some jumped up arse who thinks he's in a bigger hurry than I happen to be, wants me to move for him, then doesn't have the balls to pull me in at the first opportunity he had, (once he seen I would be no push over) if I had of been driving erratically, illegally, or stupidly for that matter.
    (presuming he really was a garda)

Perhaps you should stick to modding, as you know fcuk all about driving.

(I hope I've given you the rise you were clearly baiting for?)

I've as much of a grasp of the road as you have It'd imagine.
    What the fcuk would you know about it if you weren't there?

Read the rest of the fcuking thread smart hole.

I was overtaking.
    I was doing the MAX speed limit.
    I was turning right in less then a mile (prob half a mile)

Now, I've given three good reasons why I have a100% competent grasp of the road, I know the rules of the road, and I do my best not to break them.
    Just because some jumped up arse who thinks he's in a bigger hurry than I happen to be, wants me to move for him, then doesn't have the balls to pull me in at the first opportunity he had, once he seen I would be no push over if I had of been driving erratically, illegally, or stupidly for that matter.
    (presuming he really was a garda)

Perhaps you should stick to modding, as you know fcuk all about driving.

(I hope I've given you the rise you were clearly baiting for?)
    I think this is getting a bit out of hand settle down guys the bottom line is once you were doing the speed limit and overtaking safely and you were planing to turn right then you know yourself you were right and no one on here can tell you otherwise unless they saw it happen. Hope you have more plesent driving experence in the near future. They only thing i would say it is a pity you did not get his reg .

Its quite simple to see that garda or whatever he was was just a tool like so many we see doing what he tried to do. They just quote the overtaking rule because that suits their speeding driving manner. No mention of speed limit rules or anything else that the proper sensible driver adheres to.

Mentioning slow lane hoggers is just silly, thats not what happened here. this was a clear case of a bully driver, and other drivers back up his mentality in this thread, i wonder why.

Its quite simple to see that garda or whatever he was was just a tool like so many we see doing what he tried to do. They just quote the overtaking rule because that suits their speeding driving manner. No mention of speed limit rules or anything else that the proper sensible driver adheres to.

Mentioning slow lane hoggers is just silly, thats not what happened here. this was a clear case of a bully driver, and other drivers back up his mentality in this thread, i wonder why.
    Well said robbie !!

I'l ask one thing. Do you still believe that it is only on a motorway that you have to keep left?
    NOT in reference to this particular incident, but in general.

Is that all you've got to say? Keeping on and on and on about the same thing?

:rolleyes:

I'l ask one thing. Do you still believe that it is only on a motorway that you have to keep left?
    NOT in reference to this particular incident, but in general.

Show me your Source that, that rule applies to a national road, ie, not a dual carriage way or a motorway.

Provide me with the source, then I'll gladly admit I'm wrong, but only on that particular part of the argument.

• Advertisement

yes. because I'd love to know how you came to this conclusion, and insisted others look it up.

Advertisement