Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did this 'Gard' abuse his power?

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

thee glitz wrote: »
    Motorways, and only motorways, have overtaking lanes. Dual carraigeways have 2 or more lanes each side of the central reservation.

COMPLETELY wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Suppose your on a motorway, there's a line of traffic in the left lane doing say, 110k. I move into the right lane to overtake, but by law I'm only permitted to go at 120k. Should someone be able to flash and beep at me to move faster? I am after all doing everything I should...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Gucky wrote: »
    Is this you Gay Byrne?

This is the second time I'll explain this to you.

The Naas road (N7) is not a motor way, therefore there is no 'overtaking lane' on it.

So you reckon the rule to drive on the left only applies to motorways ?

It applies to dual carraigeways too, which the Naas Road (N7) most certainly is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Suppose your on a motorway, there's a line of traffic in the left lane doing say, 110k. I move into the right lane to overtake, but by law I'm only permitted to go at 120k. Should someone be able to flash and beep at me to move faster? I am after all doing everything I should...

No, someone shouldn't. And I detest it when idiots do this while I'm overtaking - I won't speed up further just to keep them happy.

But as soon as its safe to do so, you should move to the left again.

Since the idiot who "undertook" the OP managed to do so on their left, that means the lane was clear.

Mind you, it would have been some mess if the OP was genuinely overtaking and pulled left just as the idiot started to "undertake".

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭paraletic

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/junctions-roundabouts/juntions-and-dual-carriageways.html

the rules of the road state:
    You must normally drive in the left-hand lane of a dual carriageway. You may use the outer lane of a two-lane or three-lane dual carriageway only:

for overtaking, and
    when intending to turn right a short distance ahead.

I gather from the op, he was turning right up ahead - (and we might all like to argue about what is a 'short distance' for one man is a long distance for another).

but the basic rule is that the outside lane on any road with multiple lanes is an OVERTAKING lane (even if there is no central median).

the 'gaurd' in the story still sounds like a bit of an eejit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Since the idiot who "undertook" the OP managed to do so on their left, that means the lane was clear.

did you read the entire thread? its already been shown numerous times that the above statement is completely false

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

PeakOutput wrote: »
    did you read the entire thread? its already been shown numerous times that the above statement is completely false

No it hasn't. In order for some one to undertake you there must be space for them to pull out, space for them to accelerate in front of you and space for them to pull in again. That's three car lengths, which is more than enough for someone to pull in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

k_mac wrote: »
    No it hasn't. In order for some one to undertake you there must be space for them to pull out, space for them to accelerate in front of you and space for them to pull in again. That's three car lengths, which is more than enough for someone to pull in.

read the thread back, its right there in whatever colours you have your theme set to, if you cant read or cant for some reason watch the video that was posted thats not my problem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Laides - please - handbags down.

The Naas road at Newlands heading to Dublin.

Quote all the rules of the road you want and lash in as many distinctions about motorways and dual carriageways until the cows come home but the simple fact is if you want to turn off at the Belgard road you had better be in the right hand lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

PeakOutput wrote: »
    read the thread back, its right there in whatever colours you have your theme set to, if you cant read or cant for some reason watch the video that was posted thats not my problem

I read the thread and watched the video. It doesn't matter what people write. It doesn't change the laws of physics. If there is room to undertake there is room to pull in. And the video clearly shows that the person who was undertaken had at least five car lengths to pull into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    No, someone shouldn't. And I detest it when idiots do this while I'm overtaking - I won't speed up further just to keep them happy.

But as soon as its safe to do so, you should move to the left again.

Mind you, it would have been some mess if the OP was genuinely overtaking and pulled left just as the idiot started to "undertake".

+ 1000 I was doing 120 on the m1 and some idiot behind me was flasher her lights behind me to go faster.... faster than the speed limit. needless to say I didnt f-ing idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭rescue16

Bosco boy wrote: »
    rescue16 wrote: »

what emergency service do you work for?
    Why you ask ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

steddyeddy wrote: »
    + 1000 I was doing 120 on the m1 and some idiot behind me was flasher her lights behind me to go faster.... faster than the speed limit. needless to say I didnt f-ing idiot.

Do you happen to know why she was in such a hurry??? Thought not. It could have been an emergency but why let that bother you.
    BTW she was most likely flashing you to pull over in to the left hand lane, not to speed up.

The reason that I harp on about the possibility of somebody being in a genuine emergency is that I have been in that situation and despite lights flashing, hazards on and beeping horns there were a small number of people that simply refused to move over. F-ing idiots.

Thankfully, most others had the common sense to do so rather than arrogantly holding on to their position in the overtaking lane driving at the speed limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Do you happen to know why she was in such a hurry??? Thought not. It could have been an emergency but why let that bother you.
    BTW she was most likely flashing you to pull over in to the left hand lane, not to speed up.

The reason that I harp on about the possibility of somebody being in a genuine emergency is that I have been in that situation and despite lights flashing, hazards on and beeping horns there were a small number of people that simply refused to move over. F-ing idiots.

Thankfully, most others had the common sense to do so rather than arrogantly holding on to their position in the overtaking lane driving at the speed limit.

What was your emergency?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

So that gives her the right to break the speed limit :rolleyes:

do i know why she wanted to break the speed limit no. What emergency warrents her putting other lives in danger? If me and everyone else moved to the slow lane sometimes suddenly how much regard would i be showing for people in that lane? I move out of the way for a ambulance sure but not a woman possibly trying to get home faster from work

ps i know the left lane had cars up four cars in the way I would have had to either slow down or speed up to move in the left lane.

by the way most people have common sense not to break the speed limit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Ghandee wrote: »
    so, was driving down the Naas road, about a mile from Newland cross when this car (driving right tight behind me, suddenly swerves out from the right hand lane into the middle lane, undertakes me, them goes back into the right hand lane). Quite careless and recklessly tbh.

Cue, a mile down the road at newlands cross, I'm sitting in the tallaght bound lane, and this car is sitting in the other Tallaght lane (anyone familiar with the road will understand) so, basically at newlands cross, two lanes for tallaght coming from naas, I'm in the right lane, this mad driver is in the left.

Anyone any other suggestions?
    Ghandee wrote: »
    The Naas road is not a motorway, its only a main road, therefore there is no ' overtaking lane on it, (check that out if you doing believe me)

Besides, he undertook me when he was able to, (there were cars in the middle lane that I was driving faster than)

believe me, I am certainly no 'A Sunday driver' I like to hurry so to speak.
    Sunday Drivers do not know the Rules of the Road nor have any consideration for other drivers.
    http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/good-driving-practice/road-position.htmlYour road position

Make sure you drive your vehicle far enough to the left to allow traffic to safely pass or overtake on the right but not so far to the left that you are driving on a cycle lane or blocking or endangering cyclists or pedestrians.

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/respecting-other-road-users/index.html
    Respecting other road users

The vehicle does not have greater right-of-way than any other road user, so, for safety reasons, you should drive defensively. This means expecting the unexpected and making way for other road users when necessary.
    Ghandee wrote:
    Besides, he undertook me when he was able to, (there were cars in the middle lane that I was driving faster than)
    Just because there are other bad drivers, does not mean that you should perform as badly at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

robbie7730 wrote: »
    What was your emergency?

Very very serious injury, don't want to discuss the details on here obviously but suffice to say that the passenger survived, albeit missing a chunk of his body.
    So that gives her the right to break the speed limit :rolleyes:

Legally No, morally IMO if it's a genuine emergency, Yes.

Regardless of any situation no civilian driver has the legal right to obstruct or impede any other traffic. If however you witnessed a car attempting to escape following a crime chances are that you may try to obstruct or follow him at an illegal speed - neither of which you have the 'right' to do if you were to follow the strict interpretation of the law.
    do i know why she wanted to break the speed limit no. What emergency warrents her putting other lives in danger? If me and everyone else moved to the slow lane sometimes suddenly how much regard would i be showing for people in that lane? I move out of the way for a ambulance sure but not a woman possibly trying to get home faster from work

ps i know the left lane had cars up four cars in the way I would have had to either slow down or speed up to move in the left lane.

It's not a 'slow' lane - it's the driving lane. IMO any serious emergency could warrant speeding faster than the speed limit - doesn't neccessarily follow that they're putting lives in danger. The result of an impact between 140kph and 120kph isn't that great. Granted, braking distance would be slightly greater but that is probably the only additional danger.
    by the way most people have common sense not to break the speed limit

Do they? All of the time? Can everybody on here honestly put their hands up and say that they have NEVER broken a speed limit on any road or in any situation? Doubt it somehow.

BTW, I agree with the general gist of peoples opinions regarding speeders and flashing lights etc. 99% of them are dipsos that think they own the road and can do what they like. However, there can be (exceptionally) rare situations where an exception can be made so for that reason, wherever possible, I just leave them all past. Doesn't make any odds to me as long as I get where I'm going.

Very very serious injury, don't want to discuss the details on here obviously but suffice to say that the passenger survived, albeit missing a chunk of his body.

Legally No, morally IMO if it's a genuine emergency, Yes.

Regardless of any situation no civilian driver has the legal right to obstruct or impede any other traffic. If however you witnessed a car attempting to escape following a crime chances are that you may try to obstruct or follow him at an illegal speed - neither of which you have the 'right' to do if you were to follow the strict interpretation of the law.

It's not a 'slow' lane - it's the driving lane. IMO any serious emergency could warrant speeding faster than the speed limit - doesn't neccessarily follow that they're putting lives in danger. The result of an impact between 140kph and 120kph isn't that great. Granted, braking distance would be slightly greater but that is probably the only additional danger.

Do they? All of the time? Can everybody on here honestly put their hands up and say that they have NEVER broken a speed limit on any road or in any situation? Doubt it somehow.

BTW, I agree with the general gist of peoples opinions regarding speeders and flashing lights etc. 99% of them are dipsos that think they own the road and can do what they like. However, there can be (exceptionally) rare situations where an exception can be made so for that reason, wherever possible, I just leave them all past. Doesn't make any odds to me as long as I get where I'm going.

listen if it was safe to do so I would have let the person past but I would have had to speed up considerably to move into the slow lane. im very sorry to hear about your friend by the way i can understand why you wanted to hurry

• Advertisement
Advertisement