Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did this 'Gard' abuse his power?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

I dont believe it happened at all, except maybe the part about the few scoups

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Bosco boy wrote: »
    I dont believe it happened at all, except maybe the part about the few scoups

Oh the shame.
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I got IT !!!!!

1- audi A3 driver with 1.6 engine thinks he has Audi S3
    2 - opel vectra driver is accelerating while other car is overtaking him.
    Thanks for your demonstration of your car knowledge, obviously to show us all an indication of your driving brilliance.
    I don't know what this video is here for - op wrote soemthing about 1 mile distance, not 3 lenghts of the car.
    If you need an answer to this then you should re sit your test
    anyway my point is that if you drive on dual lines way- right line is overtkaking lane, so return to the left lane if somethin want to overtake you, or whenthere are no slower cars on the left lane - and when you are driving your micra on m1 on right lane, remember that speed limit is 120 km/h not 80 km/h

This post says it all, no cop on, and what cop on a self believed super driver has gets even lower when in their car. Another mention of a car model, why is this? What lane your in now depends also on the car you drive?

What about when the dual carriageway is grid locked, do the rules change then? Should everyone be in the left lane now? After all, the right lane is only for overtaking in your mind, so why are cars in it when they are now stopped? The OP in this case was passing cars in the left lane, and was turning right shortly, so unless your having difficulty thinking today, it seems obvious enough he was in his right. But of course you think other drivers have authorisation to force him into the slower lane becasue they want to go faster. Obvious your one of these flashing speed demons with great self belief in their superiour driving ability. I seen a few of these drivers, they were no better than the rest of us when 2 foot from a stopped car or wall going 100kph and milli seconds from impact.
    Also remember that if you drive slow on left lane, and you change lane suddenly - check your mirror in advance, don't test my brakes in emergency situation. :)

O so its ok to suddenly change lanes once you check your mirrors? Maybe you should advise other lesser drivers to check mirrors, indicate and smoothly move out.

But its hard to do that when you cant go into the right hand lane to turn right until all the speeders have used their authorisation to flash the other drivers out of the over taking lane.

So as you are so well up on the rules, i ask for about the 10th time this question, how close do the rules say we have to be to a junction so we are authorised to enter the right hand lane to turn right. I want the figure, not this rubbish about a mile being to far. Tell us the actual distance it says in the rule book, and is this distance the same on all roads? If their is no answer then you saying a mile is too far is not very valid is it. If you quote rules about overtaking lanes then tell us the distance to junction answer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Robbie your posts are coming across as being a little childish now. There is no set distance. I think this has been said already. The rules of the road state that the junction must be a short distance ahead. A mile is not a short distance.

Nobody is suggesting that the other driver had authority to force the op off the road. What is being said is that the op should have moved in to the left lane where there was room.

k_mac wrote: »
    Robbie your posts are coming across as being a little childish now. There is no set distance. I think this has been said already. The rules of the road state that the junction must be a short distance ahead. A mile is not a short distance.

Nobody is suggesting that the other driver had authority to force the op off the road. What is being said is that the op should have moved in to the left lane where there was room.

O right, i thought he was told he was wrong, that he had no authorisation to slow other drivers down etc. Do you ever drive through the junction in question? More often than not its very heavy traffic approaching it, have ago at it yourself for a week or 2 taking the same turn as the OP, then let us know how you get on.

If a mile is not a short distance, is a minute a long time?

• Advertisement

Not if the result is that they run into you or someone else. You may be dead but at least that dickhead won't have gotten by. Pride has no place on the road just like selfishness and ignorance.

And my post was childish? This is complete rubbish, you think that letting a bullying flashing frustrated driver past will solve the danger he presents to other road users? All it will do is encourage him to continue his bullying since it is getting him results.

You realy should try that junction in a morning or evening, and see how early you are in the right lane if drive it every day for a week or 2. This is so simple to understand, but you assume its an empty open road with just the odd lane hogger on it.

But anyway, maybe you will see it in a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Tubsandtiles

You aint got any power unless you got a gun :D

I lived down the road from that junction for twenty five years so I'm pretty familiar with it. In fact it's not unusual for cars to come out past the green isle and make it across three lanes of traffic to the right turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

Anyone who has driven this stretch of road or drives it regularly will know that the distribution of cars across the three lanes is the opposite of what it should be i.e. the left hand driving lane is almost empty, the middle overtaking lane is the next busiest and the busiest lane is the right hand overtaking lane. This situation regularly (or should I say always) develops as Irish people simply do not know how to drive on a motorway/dual carriageway.

The OP is a prime example of this.

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

ebixa82 wrote: »
    What's a Gard?

Gard is the Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Centre. Their website offers details of a number of rare and genetic diseases.
    tommyhaas wrote: »
    Whats a pedantic pr!ck?

A pedantic pr!ck is not equal to a pedantic prick. A pedantic prick is a prick which is pedantic in nature.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Just one thing OP, if he was from the Garda Siochana, you better hope he doesn't read this thread, I'd be fairly confident they would pay you a visit if he does.

You've just dramatically reduced the chances of him perhaps forgetting about it too!

Good thread nonetheless.

rickyjb wrote: »
    Anyone who has driven this stretch of road or drives it regularly will know that the distribution of cars across the three lanes is the opposite of what it should be i.e. the left hand driving lane is almost empty, the middle overtaking lane is the next busiest and the busiest lane is the right hand overtaking lane. This situation regularly (or should I say always) develops as Irish people simply do not know how to drive on a motorway/dual carriageway.

The OP is a prime example of this.

That is all.

Read the thread.

If you do, you may read the full facts oh wise one.

That is all.

I lived down the road from that junction for twenty five years so I'm pretty familiar with it. In fact it's not unusual for cars to come out past the green isle and make it across three lanes of traffic to the right turn.

No offence k_mac.

For someone who actually thought my earlier post about drinking the few scoops, then driving home pissed was serious, your posts are irrelevant to me.

I just can't take you seriously. :D

Gucky wrote: »
    No offence k_mac.

For someone who actually thought my earlier post about drinking the few scoops, then driving home pissed was serious, your posts are irrelevant to me.

I just can't take you seriously. :D

You cut me deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,871 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

See, this is where the Irish laws are too afraid to start making changes, because people set in their ways will not adhere to them.

Anyway, as for the question of if the "Garda" abused his power, then no, but he went about his right as a Garda in attempting to pull you in in the wrong way. It's all well and good for a Garda to enfore his powers off-duty when not driving, but in the middle of a dual-carrigway while driving is not the most appropriate and easiest way to do so. If he truely believed he had reason to pull you in, he should have contacted the nearest station and got them to send a marked patrol car to stop the OP, and then stopped himself and gave his side.

As for the driving etiquette, both parties are wrong. One more so than the other. The "Garda" was completely wrong in coming up a speed, flashing and driving dangerously. There is no excuse for that other than road rage. I've done it myself, but only when there was no traffic at all for the eyes to see in the left hand lane, and the person was doing under the limit. If they're doing the limit, the the driver behind is to wait patiently for the driver in front to pull into the left lane when safe to do so. If this driver does not pull into the left lane, when plenty of opportunites have arisen, then it's up to the driver behind to make a complaint to the Gardai of obstructing the flow of traffic (even if the car is doing the limit, you have to pull into the left lane when cruising).

As for the OP, yes, you were turing right a mile/minute up the road, but from another post i read the first sign is about 1/5th of a mile from the junction. If this is true, then you are in the wrong. You move into lane when there is a sign saying "Get in Lane" or at the first indication of the cross coming up. If, however, there is a sign further back than that (usually on motorways the signs start at about 1000m, if not 2000m, but they're all for left turns, so insignificant), then that is when you can move into that lane. If you are doing the limit, no one has the right to flash you and force you into the left lane.

Here's the clincher though. If you are doing the limit and someone comes up behind you and starts acting the dick, then the common sense approach is to move out of his way. To put it into perspective, if you're out for a drink and someone starts giving you gob, is the best thing to do to start winding him up? No. You move away, that is the best way to defuse the situation. It may not be the most convienient for you, but is the better option in the long run. Any other behaviour will make the instigator worse and make the situation worse. Same goes for dangerous driving/road rage. The best thing to do is get out of their way. And report them if you feel strongly enough about it.

And to all those, including the OP, who make gestures, blow kisses or otherwise interact with these idiot drivers, are just as bad. Yes it's fun, yes i've done it myself, but in the long run it's a stupid thing to do. You may very well do it to someone who turns out to be scum, and some scum would have no problem with running you off the road. I had travellers get out of their van and come at me with an iron bar because of a stupid gesture (I didn't know they were travellers).

Road etiquette is something that should be thought before getting a driving licence. The Gardai should have the power to make people resit their test. Driving tests should be sat every 5 or 10 years as new improvements and new road layouts that those who bought their licences don't know the rules of. But thats just crazy talk!!

Anyway, as for the question of if the "Garda" abused his power, then no, but he went about his right as a Garda in attempting to pull you in in the wrong way.

The OP was driving at the limit, and passing slower cars in the lane to his left, and soon to be turning right, so what was the OP doing to warrent a garda pulling him in? Madness. Did you read the thread or what?
    If this driver does not pull into the left lane, when plenty of opportunites have arisen, then it's up to the driver behind to make a complaint to the Gardai of obstructing the flow of traffic (even if the car is doing the limit, you have to pull into the left lane when cruising).

Sounds good, one driver reports to garda about obstructing traffic, the other can report the other driver for speeding.
    If your going at the speed limit why do you yourself need to be in the overtaking lane behind the other driver?
    As for the OP, yes, you were turing right a mile/minute up the road, but from another post i read the first sign is about 1/5th of a mile from the junction. If this is true, then you are in the wrong. You move into lane when there is a sign saying "Get in Lane" or at the first indication of the cross coming up. If, however, there is a sign further back than that (usually on motorways the signs start at about 1000m, if not 2000m, but they're all for left turns, so insignificant), then that is when you can move into that lane. If you are doing the limit, no one has the right to flash you and force you into the left lane.

1000 feet it is so, that gives 15 seconds or so to change 3 lanes, or possibly 4 lanes if going across to the right lane of the 2 lane right turn section of road. Grand if there are no other cars on the road, what if its rush hour, with all lanes full? Whats the advice then? Or if a line of 100 cars want to turn right, they can all only change lane when they reach the sigh at 1000 feet? Its amazing how rigid some posters want to adhere to this lane rule, and use their own interpretation as to how far back a driver is allowed to change lane for a right turn.
    Here's the clincher though. If you are doing the limit and someone comes up behind you and starts acting the dick, then the common sense approach is to move out of his way. To put it into perspective, if you're out for a drink and someone starts giving you gob, is the best thing to do to start winding him up? No. You move away, that is the best way to defuse the situation. It may not be the most convienient for you, but is the better option in the long run. Any other behaviour will make the instigator worse and make the situation worse. Same goes for dangerous driving/road rage. The best thing to do is get out of their way. And report them if you feel strongly enough about it.

Not much of a connection between driving in the overtaking lane while actually overtaking as the OP was, and avoiding a drunken brawl in a pub. You hinted yourself you lost the head with slow drivers, if this is the case, how can you tell others to let a maniac driver behind pass you to avoid getting him more annoyed and remain calm and not annoyed yourself? The OP was simply turning right, and was overtaking cars to his left. He just was not overtaking them fast enough for our super garda.
    And to all those, including the OP, who make gestures, blow kisses or otherwise interact with these idiot drivers, are just as bad. Yes it's fun, yes i've done it myself, but in the long run it's a stupid thing to do. You may very well do it to someone who turns out to be scum, and some scum would have no problem with running you off the road. I had travellers get out of their van and come at me with an iron bar because of a stupid gesture (I didn't know they were travellers).

Yes your right, it can be dangerous alright
    Road etiquette is something that should be thought before getting a driving licence. The Gardai should have the power to make people resit their test. Driving tests should be sat every 5 or 10 years as new improvements and new road layouts that those who bought their licences don't know the rules of. But thats just crazy talk!!

And giving garda the power to make people resit tests? I dont think this would be right.

Some good points, but overall the OP was overtaking, and driving at the limit, seems simple enough. So now we must not only be overtaking to be in the overtaking lane, we must still get out of the way of people who want to speed? And if we dont, we should have to resit our test?

I dont like a lane hogger anymore than anyone else, but a driver doing the limit and passing cars to his left and turning right soon enough i would not see as a lane hogger. As i said earlier, what do we do when the road is grid locked? Or very heavy traffic? The cars in the overtaking lane have no right to be there according to lots on this thread, as they are now not overtaking. Drive according to the conditions, not according to the rigid overtaking lane rule which at times is impractical.

Posters here are thinking of the times they are infuriated by slow wrong lane drivers, which is annoying, no arguement there, but a dual carriageways lanes can vary immensly throughout the day traffic wise and so does the ability to easily change lanes etc. If your 1 mile from the junction on an empty road thats one thing, but on a road with all lanes full of cars its a different story. There are big variations, but with some drivers its just a 1 track rule for them because they want to pass everyone else on the road at all costs.

Anyway, drive safely. There are far worse things to worry about than a lane blocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

You cut me deep.

Drop the HAAAtittude.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,871 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

robbie7730 wrote: »
    The OP was driving at the limit, and passing slower cars in the lane to his left, and soon to be turning right, so what was the OP doing to warrent a garda pulling him in? Madness. Did you read the thread or what?

I meant to clarify that the Garda does have the same powers when off duty, but i didn't intend to mean he was right in what he was doing. He wasn't abusing his power, he is quite entitled to use those powers when off duty. But he was wrong is using his powers. It's not abuse, it's wrongful use. It doesn't come across well in text! :confused:
    Sounds good, one driver reports to garda about obstructing traffic, the other can report the other driver for speeding.
    If your going at the speed limit why do you yourself need to be in the overtaking lane behind the other driver?

Yes, if both drivers are annoyed at each other then they can both make complaints. However, it's alot easier to prove obstruction, but unless you have the Garda equipment it's impossible to prove speed.
    1000 feet it is so, that gives 15 seconds or so to change 3 lanes, or possibly 4 lanes if going across to the right lane of the 2 lane right turn section of road. Grand if there are no other cars on the road, what if its rush hour, with all lanes full? Whats the advice then? Or if a line of 100 cars want to turn right, they can all only change lane when they reach the sigh at 1000 feet? Its amazing how rigid some posters want to adhere to this lane rule, and use their own interpretation as to how far back a driver is allowed to change lane for a right turn.

Again, the circumstances will change depending on the situation. If traffic is gridlocked you will obviously have to go into the lane earlier. If it's busy you'll have to go in earlier. To be honest, if it's such a problem at this junction then the council should be contacted and have the road markings changed to reflect the necessity at times to go into that lane earlier, or make it so that from x distance away from the junction that lane becomes a right turn only lane. But when have the council ever done anything right when it comes to roads?
    Not much of a connection between driving in the overtaking lane while actually overtaking as the OP was, and avoiding a drunken brawl in a pub. You hinted yourself you lost the head with slow drivers, if this is the case, how can you tell others to let a maniac driver behind pass you to avoid getting him more annoyed and remain calm and not annoyed yourself? The OP was simply turning right, and was overtaking cars to his left. He just was not overtaking them fast enough for our super garda.

It's through the principle i was trying to connect the situations. Completely difference situations, but both of which can be de-fused by not reacting, or avoiding the situation. I have indeed lost the head, and learned from it, and i believe it is my experience of being on the wrong end of a reaction that gives me a right to try and help others avoid the same situation. Again, with all the circumstances taken into account, and the fact that this is not a normal junction and requires knowledge of the traffic at this junction, then the OP was probably completely in his right.

And giving garda the power to make people resit tests? I dont think this would be right.

I don't see why not. There are thousands of drivers out there that never even took a driving test, and most of those same drivers learned to drive in an era when they didn't drive on motorways, or there was no bus lanes. Thats why i believe that Gardai should have the power the driect people to resit their test, to make them aware of the new laws and procedures on the roads. Who can say that they have looked up a new driving law when it comes out? A good few, but a lot more won't.
    Some good points, but overall the OP was overtaking, and driving at the limit, seems simple enough. So now we must not only be overtaking to be in the overtaking lane, we must still get out of the way of people who want to speed? And if we dont, we should have to resit our test?

Obviously the abilty of a Garda to enforce the resitting of tests wouldn't be because of lane hogging, or anything minor, but if someone had a culmination of different incidents, you have to resit it. As it stands, and correct me if i'm wrong, penalty points stay on your licence for 3 years. But if you culminate 12 points, you're off the road for 6 months. After this period of 6 months, all points are gone from your licence. You then have a clean licence, free to drive again without resitting your test?! Thats wrong.
    I dont like a lane hogger anymore than anyone else, but a driver doing the limit and passing cars to his left and turning right soon enough i would not see as a lane hogger. As i said earlier, what do we do when the road is grid locked? Or very heavy traffic? The cars in the overtaking lane have no right to be there according to lots on this thread, as they are now not overtaking. Drive according to the conditions, not according to the rigid overtaking lane rule which at times is impractical.

You are true here, it is impractical at time. But if i was driving to that junction for the first time, in heavy traffic, and i didn't know where the turn off was, i wouldn't know until the first sign, and i would probably miss the turn off if traffic is backed up. Again, this is where the council need to intervene. But they won't.
    Posters here are thinking of the times they are infuriated by slow wrong lane drivers, which is annoying, no arguement there, but a dual carriageways lanes can vary immensly throughout the day traffic wise and so does the ability to easily change lanes etc. If your 1 mile from the junction on an empty road thats one thing, but on a road with all lanes full of cars its a different story. There are big variations, but with some drivers its just a 1 track rule for them because they want to pass everyone else on the road at all costs.

Again, agreed. It's situational, and situations will dictate traffic flow, even if it goes against the rules of the road. Again, back to the council.
    Anyway, drive safely. There are far worse things to worry about than a lane blocker.

Very true, now i'm off for a drive while looking at my satnav, playing with the radio, talking on my phone and eating a bag of taytos. :D

Potential-Monke
    Very true, now i'm off for a drive while looking at my satnav, playing with the radio, talking on my phone and eating a bag of taytos.

Dont forget the cup of tea, thats my bad one when driving. Thats why i never leave the left lane, in case i spill any while getting out of the way of the fast drivers:)

Gucky wrote: »
    Read the thread.

If you do, you may read the full facts oh wise one.

That is all.

I did read the whole thread Gucky and the simple fact of the matter is that if the OP was in fact overtaking other cars how could the "gard" have undertaken him.

Any one blowing kisses at other drivers is far more likely to be an overtaking lane hogger as well:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Amber Lamps

rickyjb wrote: »
    I did read the whole thread Gucky and the simple fact of the matter is that if the OP was in fact overtaking other cars how could the "gard" have undertaken him.

once again

if you have as you say read the whole thread you would have seen this video showing how someone who is overtaking other cars can be undertaken. it doesn't mean it is safe to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

its short for garda...law enforcer in Ireland....they've been around years!:D

is "garda" not already the singular?

once again

if you have as you say read the whole thread you would have seen this video showing how someone who is overtaking other cars can be undertaken. it doesn't mean it is safe to do so.

Must've missed the video but what happened there is clearly a stupid and dangerous thing to do. If that was Ireland the person in the overtaking lane would crawl past and then remain there whether there was another car to overtake or not. And I thought the reason they didn't pull was because they were turning off (a mile up the road)??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

is "garda" not already the singular?

yeah, it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭rescue16

what a bull**t
    do you have full driving licence ? how did you learn to drive...

if any road has two lanes - right lane should be left empty.
    If u drive on the right lane and see that something wants to overtake you - you go on the slower left lane.
    Gucky you should get some experience in Germany for example. you would go to the court quickly for dangerous driving.
    You are wrong if you are on the outside lane as the op said he was overtaking a row of cars then is was in the right now if he was not overtaking then you are obliged to pull in to the left lane if clear to do so. Now if you were doing the correct speed while overtaking and a car came behind you and could not pass and you pulled in to leave him pass then if caught you would or could if caught be done for reckless driving as you invited the guy behind you to break the speed limit by pulling in while you were already doing the spped limit. This guy must of being breaking the speed limit were you doing the speed limit honestly ?? And why did you not get his reg and find out if he was a cop or gaurd or whatever i know the road you are on about as i work in the rescue services and there is no overtaking lane there as far as i am aware its a normal road now dont bite my head off i might be wrong but i have seen cars driving there on the outside lane and they are not overtaking just driving along.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

rescue16 wrote: »
    ...Now if you were doing the correct speed while overtaking and a car came behind you and could not pass and you pulled in to leave him pass then if caught you would or could if caught be done for reckless driving as you invited the guy behind you to break the speed limit by pulling in while you were already doing the spped limit. ...

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭rescue16

:D
    I Guess this means you agree with me ? lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

rescue16 wrote: »
    I Guess this means you agree with me ? lol

I'm sure he was laughing at the ridiculousness of the suggestion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

If there are two lanes then the outside lane is an overtaking lane, if you are responding to a 999 call with blues and twos and driving on that road what lane would you be in?

• Advertisement

Bosco boy wrote: »
    If there are two lanes then the outside lane is an overtaking lane, if you are responding to a 999 call with blues and twos and driving on that road what lane would you be in?

Completely irrevelant as i presume the OP was not driving an ambulance.

Advertisement