Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did this 'Gard' abuse his power?

Options
  • 15-01-2011 10:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭

so, was driving down the Naas road, about a mile from Newland cross when this car (driving right tight behind me, suddenly swerves out from the right hand lane into the middle lane, undertakes me, them goes back into the right hand lane). Quite careless and recklessly tbh.

Cue, a mile down the road at newlands cross, I'm sitting in the tallaght bound lane, and this car is sitting in the other Tallaght lane (anyone familiar with the road will understand) so, basically at newlands cross, two lanes for tallaght coming from naas, I'm in the right lane, this mad driver is in the left.

This bloke is giving me daggers through his window, but I'm a big bloke, and can look after myself (I'm no one man army mind!)

I put down my window, ask the guy if he's ok, and that he nearly caused an accident back on the road. He shouted something about me not letting him past and him in a hurry.

Anyway, traffic starts to move as the lights turn green, were both on Belgard road heading towards Tallaght, your man still mouthing off through his car window, to which I start laughing at him (i find laughing at dickheads infuriates them more than shouting abuse at them:D)

Next thing I know, he's holding up some form of id at me, and screaming 'Garda! Pull in!' Now, at this point I hope I have explained that, if he was a Gard, he's in an unmarked car, not using flashing lights, not in the hurry that he seemed to be in five mins earlier, and as far as I'm concerned, the 'ID' he was holding up, might as well have been a libary card for what I could make out!

My reply to his demands to pull in were a not very polite 'go eff yourself' he shouted again 'pull in!' And I blew him a kiss! (he was fuming at this stage!)

I was headed right on belgard road (towards the belgard inn) and he drove straight on in the general direction of Tallaght.

Anyways, that was Wednesday night, still haven't heard a thing from the law, no police arrived at my door, haven't been stopped on the road etc.

My guess, this was a young, jumped up Gard, late for his shift at Tallaght Garda station, bullying his way to work.

Anyone any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Why were you driving in an overtaking lane, if the middle lane was clear for him to undertake you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

What's a Gard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

ebixa82 wrote: »
    What's a Gard?

its short for garda...law enforcer in Ireland....they've been around years!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Id say it is only a matter of time until the come to arrest you.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭keithm1

What a bell end , although I hate super citizens that sit in the
    "overtaking lane" doing the speed limit 'but us you were turning right at new lands you were dead right

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Gucky wrote: »
    Anyone any other suggestions?

THIS....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Why were you driving in an overtaking lane, if the middle lane was clear for him to undertake you?

The Naas road is not a motorway, its only a main road, therefore there is no ' overtaking lane on it, (check that out if you doing believe me)

Besides, he undertook me when he was able to, (there were cars in the middle lane that I was driving faster than)

believe me, I am certainly no 'Sunday driver' I like to hurry so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭Tefral

The Naas road is not a motorway, its only a main road, therefore there is no ' overtaking lane on it, (check that out if you doing believe me)

No, Just no.

You always keep left where possible.. You only enter the overtaking lane (or fast lane as stupid Irish people call it) if your overtaking a car.
    If your in the far most left lane, you use the middle lane to overtake and pull straight back into the left lane, if you cannot you use the far most right lane to overtake the middle lane, but at all times your ment to drive in the far most left lane.

TBH it sounds like it wasnt even a Garda and some fool trying to scare you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

its short for garda...law enforcer in Ireland....they've been around years!:D

Actually there is no such word as Gard, guard possibly, the anglicised version of the word.

cronin_j wrote: »
    No, Just no.

You always keep left where possible.. You only enter the overtaking lane (or fast lane as stupid Irish people call it) if your overtaking a car.

TBH it sounds like it wasnt even a Garda and some fool trying to scare you.

If you read my post, you'd read that, that's exactly why I was in the right hand lane.
    I was using it to go past a line of cars :(

This clown undertook me when he could!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 chrisxii

you were dead right safety first these maniacs on the road is bad enough but giving you daggers at the lights, hopefully some where some day he will find a load of kop on gard or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭teetotaller

Besides, he undertook me when he was able to, (there were cars in the middle lane that I was driving faster than)

believe me, I am certainly no 'Sunday driver' I like to hurry so to speak.
    what a bull**t
    do you have full driving licence ? how did you learn to drive...

if any road has two lanes - right lane should be left empty.
    If u drive on the right lane and see that something wants to overtake you - you go on the slower left lane.
    Gucky you should get some experience in Germany for example. you would go to the court quickly for dangerous driving.

If you read my post, you'd read that, that's exactly why I was in the right hand lane.

If he had time to pull out of your lane, drive down the inside of you and pull back in in front of you then you shouldnt have been in the lane.

Actually there is no such word as Gard, guard possibly, the anglicised version of the word.

/OP pull over & get out of the vehicle, the spelling police have arrived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

but that's not shorter so its not a short version, plus Guard is not Irish, Garda is, so Gar or Gard would be the short version....it may not be right but its short.

I thought you said he was a garda ?

have the changed their uniform ?

If he had time to pull out of your lane, drive down the inside of you and pull back in in front of you then you shouldnt have been in the lane.

Is this you Gay Byrne?

This is the second time I'll explain this to you.

The Naas road (N7) is not a motor way, therefore there is no 'overtaking lane' on it.

Is this you Gay Byrne?

The Naas road (N7) is not a motor way, therefore there is no 'overtaking lane' on it.

Gay Byrne knows nothing about driving, he bought his licence like id say you did...

Just because its not a motorway doesnt mean you can drive merrily along in any lane you like, the keep left rule applies to all roads and in fact you can get penalty points for failure to do so..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

Sounds like he lost his temper, was probably stressed trying to get somewhere as you say. I doubt you'll hear anything as I'd say he's just embarrassed by his behaviour.

I'd say there was a certain element of you hogging the right lane, and you could have pulled into the clear space which the other driver used to complete a full undertake manouver.

Your driving behaviour was cringe too - blowing kisses, laughing etc. Maybe try ignoring other idiots and just focus on the road. Zero interaction and provocation diffuses these situations alot quicker. Also it's basic courtesy to pull in to the left if there's free space, it's a simple lane change and doesnt slow down your journey time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

but that's not shorter so its not a short version, plus Guard is not Irish, Garda is, so Gar or Gard would be the short version....it may not be right but its short.

Lets call the Ga's then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 FreeCheese4All

Happened to me 3 years ago.
    Irate driver flashing behind me. I was doing 100 in a 100 zone on a two lane road. Had just gone into the overtaking lane to overtake a line of cars whn this guy comes up behind me. Anyways long story short I was waiting till safe to move back into left hand lane but he was still flashing away. Eventually about two miles up the road I'm pulled up beside him at lights. He winds down the window and flashes some sort of ID claiming to be a guard and how he should have pulled me in blah blah blah.

My passenger had enough and rang it into the local station at the time. Told them the story and that she was sure the person was impersonating a guard. Lo and behold 5 mins later the guy has been pulled in by a Garda. My passenger was never called back to be a witness so obviously they jus wanted a chat with the guy. It was so funny.
    Ok so maybe I'm easily amused!

Ok so maybe I'm easily amused!

We're not!..

Zzzz .. :mad:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I hate people who can't use the Naas road properly. Sitting in the right lane or middle lane. OP, just because you were doing the speed limit does not give you the right to police the roads and prevent drivers behind from going faster....

We're not!..

Zzzz .. :mad:

Want this thread more exciting, ha ha transfer it to the Motors Forum and watch this thread and the OP's posts be tore to shreads by the members there!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Hunter Mahan

Is this you Gay Byrne?

This is unbelievable, I can't believe how ignorant people are of the basic rules of the road.
    Surely there is no way you have a full licence? If you have then I am embarrassed for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

In pretty much every civilised country on the planet, people are taught (and it's enforced), that you keep left and pass right at all times... Unless of course you're in Europe etc where it's keep right and pass left...

I dispair at this behaviour.

Want this thread more exciting, ha ha transfer it to the Motors Forum and watch this thread and the OP's posts be tore to shreads by the members there!:D

I know, it would be hilarious looking at the OP have his ass handed to him over there, never seen a forum so full of men on high horses in my life.

OP, fair play to ya.. Sit in whatever bloody lane on the N7 you want, give 'em the finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭the varg

Is this you Gay Byrne?

No matter, irish drivers are supposed to drive on the left hand side of the road regardless of whether there are two lanes or ten lanes,except for overtaking so from that point of view you where in the wrong but so was the other guy for undertaking and jumping back into the right lane

TBH sounds like it was a meeting of two spanners on the road:p

Learn from it, and get on with it FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

worst that can happen is your arrested brought to court and the judge will say the gaurd wasnt doing his job case dimissed and then you sue for wrongful arrest

• Advertisement

I know, it would be hilarious looking at the OP have his ass handed to him over there, never seen a forum so full of men on high horses in my life.

OP, fair play to ya.. Sit in whatever bloody lane on the N7 you want, give 'em the finger.

OP prefers to blow kisses at strange men.

Advertisement