Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does my bum look big in this squat rack?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

You're running full smolov!!

captain_obvious.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

You're running full smolov!!

No choilov. I refuse to run any prolov with the word "junior" in it. So that's my stolov.

I also enjolov puttng extra "ov's" in sentenlovs.

Trying to think of the best way to get this back up to date without writing war & peace.

I'll skip all of the smolov sessions, suffice to day I stuck with the program and as accessory stuff I did:

- Chinup variations
    - Hip work
    - Foam rolling

Tes day for Smolov bench went like this:

105 x 1
    115 x 1
    125 x 1
    135 x 1
    145 x 1 5kg PR
    150 x miss
    147.5 x miss

145:

150 miss:

Strapping Young Lad are awesome.

So Smolov definitely worked, who knows maybe 150 would have been possible had it not been for the 145 wearing me out. 147.5 anyway hopefully.

So I'm also totally rehabed lower back wise. My new flexi hips feel much better but that's going to take months before they're no longer a hindrance. Worthwhile working on them anyway.

The goal now is all about squats. In the last few months I've had injuries, ilness, sleepless nights and reapplying for my own farking job to contend with. Sick of thinking about a 250kg squat. Time to do it. The new structure will be based on a 3 day week incorporating max effort work and rep work. 2 of the 3 days will be squat centric with deadlifts thrown in when I'm deloading my max effort squat.

Rep ranges and stuff will be based on feel and how things are going.

5/10/10

Heavy squat

140 x 2
    160 x 2
    180 x 2
    *belt on *
    200x1
    220 x 1
    210 x 1

RDL's + bluebands
    60kg
    3 sets of 10

Hip work

9/10/10

Light squat

170kg 3 sets of 5

Squat mornings 60kg

5 sets of 8

Cabin Boys (row+clean :o)
    5 rows+1clean = 1 rep
    60kg
    x4
    x3
    x2

11/10/10

Heavy bench

Dead bench
    110 x 1
    120 x 1
    130 x 1
    140 x 1
    130 x 1

Tricep pushdosn against red band

Pullup selection

20 Burpess

Conditioning being thrown in just for health reasons. Every session ends with something that makes me breath hard.

14/10/10

Heavy squat

160 x 2
    180 x 1
    *belt on*
    200 x 1
    212 x 1
    225 x 1
    215 x 1

RDL's
    60kg + red bands
    5 sets of 8

Light squat

3 sets of 5

RDL's
    80kg + red bands
    5 sets of 8

Hip work

conditioning:
    Plate drags

20/10/10

Heavy bench

Dead Bench
    110 x 1
    120 x 1
    130 x 1
    142.5 x 1 Slooooow

DB floor press
    15kg dbs + blue band
    x15
    x13
    x9
    x7

Tri pushdowns x red band
    x15
    x10
    x8
    x8

BB rows
    100kg
    x9
    x6
    x5
    x4

Weighted ng chins +10kg
    x4
    x3
    x3
    x3

Conditioning:
    Burpee box jumps
    x14
    die
    x12
    poo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

How'd you find the dead bench?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

You look huge in the still from that vid. What's the bodyweight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

BossArky wrote: »

He is huge.

He's my hero

/swoons

How'd you find the dead bench?

Nice. Really slow to move off the safety bars but once it starts to move it should make it the whole way up. 142.5kg must have taken 10 seconds from start to finish. Gotta be good for your bench taking all the momentum out of it.
    BossArky wrote: »

108kg I think. I'm staying under 110kg hopefully. I think I got bigger around the upper body in general after Smolov bench.

19/10/10

Heavy Squat

Squat

140 x 3
    160 x 2
    180 x 2
    *belt*
    205 x 1
    227.5 232.5 1 Accidental 5kg PR. Put the 5's on instead of 2.5's!
    220 x 1
    210 x 1

Rack pulls - red band assisted (beltless)
    220kg
    3 sets of 5

Hip work

Friggin stoked about the squat PR. Only realised when I was unloading the bar. In fact I changed the plates on one side and only when I was changing the other side did I notice the 5 on there. I'm 99% sure I had a 5 on the other side too (I retraced my steps and stared at the plates adding them up for about 15 minutes). If I had different plates on both sides it was a worst case 230kg.

I'd like to thanks cows everywhere for my success...

2010-10-21-21.35.171-1024x768.jpg

1lb of beef, cheese, tomatoes - George Foreman grill

Boris is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Who needs biceps with a bench like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

kevpants wrote: »
    Strapping Young Lad are awesome.

FTW.

• Advertisement

25/10/10

Light Squat

Beltless squats

3 sets of 5

Pank +10kg plate on bum
    5 holds rest pause

Tired tired tired last night. Squats were ugly and heavy and my lower back is cramping up performing day to day tasks. Will keep it light on bench day this week then see how I feel for heavy-ish deadlifts at the weekend. Might pull sumo and try and get my hips into it.

I love being used as a frame of reference :)

I think the terminology is what's causing arguments re volume vs intensity but that it is pretty important in understanding what benefit you're getting if you do 20 rep squats as an example.

20 rep squats increased my max strength = false
    20 rep squats improved the size of my ass & helped me cope with "time under tension" which in turn meant I could lift a bigger 1rm = TRUE

Time for one of my trademark obscure references.

Dieting makes my car go faster = FALSE
    I dieted and lost 5 stone and now my car carries less weight when I'm in it and has a higher top speed = TRUE

It's not just in the case of 20 rep squats though. All accessory work has an indirect affect on your 1rm. It might go up but your band pullaparts didn't increase your max bench strength directly.

It's important to understand I suppose because you should know what the actual effect of everything you do is.

And shit like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

If you had got there sooner you could have prevented a car crash of a thread!

Light bench

90kg close grip bench
    x8
    x7
    x5

Red band tricep pushdowns
    x15
    x9
    x7
    x5
    x5

20kg plate raise
    x10
    x10
    x10

Blue band pullaparts
    x9
    x6
    x5

Conditioning:
    Burpee ng chins
    x16

Box jumps (no pause on the floor)
    x26

Just a recovery session to help me recover

30/10/10
    Heavy Deadlift

Sumo:
    100x3
    140x2
    160x2
    180x1
    *belt*
    200x1
    220x1
    230xmiss
    180x8

LOL. 220 flew but 230 was glued to the floor. That's the way sumos just are. Nice hip and posterior fatigue afterwards so all the right things firing which is all I wanted

Concrete Block defecit conv deadlifts (beltless)
    100kg x 5
    140x3
    180x1
    200x1
    210x1

Plank +10kg on bum
    x5 rest pause sets

Really enjoyed this. Sumos feel great as do the defecits. The weight is not huge but the strain on my posterior chain bits is substantial and that's all I want to achieve right now. Deadlifting normal ROM at high weights would just wreck me I think so I think deadlift variations are my future.

1/11/10
    Heavy bench

Incline lockouts (11th pin)
    100x2
    110x1
    120x1
    130x1
    135x1
    130xmiss eeuurgh
    100x9

Oly bar curl x 30 (pre-fatiguing arms)

Weighted ng chins +10kg
    x3,x3,x2,x2,x2,x2,x2,x1

Red band rows/pulldown thingies
    x17
    x12
    x12
    x10
    x10

3/11/10 Light squat

No belt

3 sets of 5

Will drop back to 170 and do sets of 7 working up again

GM's from pins vs red bands
    2 sets of 20
    Waste of time

Plank +15kg on bum
    5 sets rest pause

Hip work - bands around ankles, walking around like I own the place.

7/11/10 Heavy deadlift

Sumo
    140 x 3
    160 x 2
    160 x 2 (it was cold)
    180 x 1
    205 x 1
    225 x 1 PR
    215 x 1

Concrete block defecit conv pulls (beltless)

100 x 3
    140 x 3
    160 x 2
    180 x 1
    200 x 1
    220 x 1 Pr
    180 x 8

Loved this.

9/11/10 Heavy bench

Bench vs red bands
    80 x 2
    90 x 1
    100 x 1
    110 x 1
    120 x 1
    125 x 1
    115 x 2
    60 x 19

DB tri ext's 17.5kg
    6/3/2

Oly bar curl x 28 (pre fatiguing arms for...)

NG chins
    5/3/2

Side raises 17.5kg
    8/6/4

Purple band pullaparts x loads

I might actually do loads of side raises and see if I can get some round delt action going on.

Thursday 11/11/10

Light squat

170 x 7
    170 x 7
    170 x 7

Hard as hell..

Single leg deadlifts 10kg db's
    Alternating legs x 20
    Left x 18
    Right x 18

Plank + 15kg plate
    5sets rest pause

Mon 15/11/10

Glycogen-free heavy squat

220kg x 1
    220kg x 1
    220kg x 1

3rd single was the best, don't think I was warm enough. I was good for more but I'm not pushing it too much for now. Going heavy but not close to PR level, that'd be foolish.

Single leg deadlifts 17.5kg db's
    L: x 15, x12, x10
    R: x 15, x12, x10

Plank +15kg
    5 sets rest pause

So I haven't eaten carbs since last friday lunchtime. Well and truly in ketosis at this stage (sub 30g of carbs a day by my count). How does it feel? Alright actually.

I've lost 6lbs in 4 days and more on the way, all water due to glycogen depletion or whatever but my belly and double chin have shriveled nicely. Felt weird for the first 3 or so days as predicted, not hungry or weak as such. The best way to describe it is like when you wake after sleeping for 14 hours or something and your body is just a bit groggy. Energy levels were back up though today on day 4 (I did the above heavy squat session on day 3, the worst day energy wise).

I haven't had hunger pangs at all either, I used to be RAVENOUS every 2 hours up to last week. Feels good. I think I need to include A LOT more low GI stuff when I get back to a normal diet.

I'm doing this now because the timing is good, I'll be doing it for 3-4 weeks and seeing where my fat levels are, re-introduce carbs over Xmas and then jump back into strength stuff for the new year. Plan is to manage my fat gain better than in the past. Just an all round healthier approach than when I was starting out.

Training wise I'm just going to keep hammering away, if I can still manage a 220kg squat in a month or so that will serve me well for re-introducing carbs and filling my muscles back up. I don't really want to do much cardio, I think I'll do more after the ketosis. Whatever powers of recovery I'll have I want them channeled into stength.

Should be interesting to see how a ketogenic state affects a bloated powerlifter, I'm a bit shocked at how bloated I was actually!

17/11/10 Bench

Work sets were:

130x1
    130x1
    120x2
    120x2

Incline Tate Press:
    17.5kg db's
    x10
    x7
    x5
    x5
    x4

Purple band incline tr ext's:
    x8
    x6
    x6
    x5
    x5

Wide Neutral chins:
    x7
    x4
    x3
    x3
    x3

DB Row
    52.5kg
    R: x7,x5,x4
    L: X6,x5,x4

18/11/10 Deadlifts

Sumo
    140 x3 x 3
    160 x2x2
    180x2x2
    *belt*
    200x3,x3

Conventional off block:
    100x2
    140x2
    180x2
    200x2
    210x2

Single leg RDL's x some

22/11/10 Squats

Worked up to:

220kg x 2
    210kg x 2
    210kg x 2

I frickin own that weight

One leg shovel deadlifts (that's right, one leg shovel deadlifts)
    L: x12,x10,x10
    R: x12,x10,x10

The "shovel end" of these is on the side of the raised leg. I don't know what this achieves and how it would differ if it was on the side of the standing leg? Anyway, lower back pump will be spoken about for generations.

So I'm still in ketosis, had a re-feed, carb up, cheat day or whatever last saturday. Experienced a full on carb hangover and had no energy all day. Feel great now I've gone back to no carbs... I hate what I've become.

Weighing in at 230lbs even now, down from a high of 240lbs about 2 weeks ago.

As predicted my bench is in the toilet, my squat was shaky the first week but I've rebounded big time. 220kg x2 is actually the most I've ever doubled. Deadlift didn't even notice the weight loss. No problems with recovery either so far. This is all going rather well.

220kg x2?

Eat sh!t and die.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Hey I saw L do incline tates aswell.I only ever did them on a flat bench.Do they hit the tri's differently or something?You're hitting some class numbers btw!

Hanley wrote: »
    220kg x2?

Eat sh!t and die.

You mean "Eat salad and improve your body composition"

Thank you. I will.

• Advertisement

Remmy wrote: »
    Hey I saw L do incline tates aswell.I only ever did them on a flat bench.Do they hit the tri's differently or something?You're hitting some class numbers btw!

I don't have the kind of triceps that have different angles. Like trying to look at a grain of sand from different angles. It doesn't work on ludicrously small objects, like my triceps.

Basically it meant I could leave the bench on the one position for two exercises. These laziness tips are pretty much how I formulate my training :D

I need a montage. Here's a synopsis of what I've been doing since my last update and how I'm approaching things.

25/11 - Bench - Red Band Assisted benches up to 155kg x 1 + a few drop sets for heavy doubles. Tried foam roller bench for reps with 100kg. Big lat involvement.

27/11 - Pulls - Conv off blocks up to 230kg x 1. It s a 4 inch defecit so this is v.good bearing in mind I was deep in diet country. Rack pulls off lowest pin up to 240 x 1 and missed 260.

*Got the man-flu/ebola virus - 7 days off*

7/12 - Rack pulls from 3rd pin. Worked up to 270 x 1 and missed 280. Pulled 250 x 4 as a drop set. did 10 sumo speed pulls with 120kg for my bum.

Random Dec day - Bench Test - Hit 140 x 1. Delighted, this was on the last dayof my diet. Lost a stone and only 5kg off my bench.

*Came up with new programming for post diet - 3 day split. Squat every day.
    Day 1: Squat 3 x 5 + Rest pause shoulders and arms
    Day 2: Heavy squat (single or double) + Rest pause chest and back width
    Day 3: Speed or 20 rep squat + Deadlift variation

Thats about it.

12/12- Day 1 180kg 3x5 (beltless) + shoulder press, biceps and triceps

13/12 - Day 2 Worked up to 225kgx1 + wide grip incline bench w/o lockout and BB rows

17/12 - Day 3 20 reps attempt - 150kg x 17 (bar slipped off thermal top...freezing shed) + rack pulls, 3rd pin - 260 x 3, 250x5

*2 weeks off for vomiting bug and Xmas*

1/1 Day 4 180 3x5 beltless again +shoulders, arms and triceps

3/1 Day 5 Heavy squat - 227.5 x 1 + incline wide unlocked benches, Rows and some side raises.

6/1 Day 6 Paused speed squat vs red bands - 140kg 5x5. Rack pulls from 3rd pin worked up to 260x6... that's a massive PR. I don't know how I did that. It's from just above the kneecap that 3rd pin by the way.

So that's me up to date. I'll be more in depth starting with tomorrows session. As you can see sickness and hols rather stunted the ned of my year which is a good reflection of the entire year. This year I just need to keep some continuity, I made progress last year but I'm not fulfilling my potential as far as I'm concerned. Squatting 3 times a week is part of my attempt to shake free of my mediocrity. Feels good so far.

Weighing in at 101kg. There was no real post diet fat gain, the vomiting bug made sure of that. Hoping for some post diet muscle rebound this month. Hence the rest pause work in addition to all the squatting.

I've thought about possibly taking up a throwing sport in addition to the powerlifting. Anyone know if there's much of that going on in these parts? With the IDFPA going to the dogs and the fact that I really only compete once a year anyway I think it might be fun to add it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I've wnated to take up shot putt for the longest time but NUIG doesn't seem to have a strong athletics society or coaching plan in place. Are there any athletics groups/clubs near were you live? I think it would be pretty impossible to succeed at throwing without at least some beginner coaching.

I've wnated to take up shot putt for the longest time but NUIG doesn't seem to have a strong athletics society or coaching plan in place. Are there any athletics groups/clubs near were you live? I think it would be pretty impossible to succeed at throwing without at least some beginner coaching.

He lives about 5 minutes from Dublin's biggest athletics stadium. No excuses. New sports are where it's at.

Oh well then it should be handy enough, congrats kev you have a new sport. :p

Oh well then it should be handy enough, congrats kev you have a new sport. :p

Balls I was hoping to just talk about it on the Internet for a few months then give out about the lack of facilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

http://www.galwaycityharriers.com/

2010 All-Ireland shot champion is a member.

The guy who came second in the shot and won the discus is in Clonliffe Harriers, who train in Santry

Bruce7 wrote: »

The guy who came second in the shot and won the discus is in Clonliffe Harriers, who train in Santry

Cheers!

Did abit of research this morning. Clonliffe Harriers would appear to be the best option for me clubwise, being based in a great facility that's 10 mins from my house and all.

Apparently there's a place on Richmond Road that sell 7.26kg (full size) shots as well. My ludicrously long garden could be in for a pummeling, be interesting to see what I could fling it straight off with no technique.

There's an irish throwers club as well, they're on facebook. Seems to be slightly more focused on highland games style throwing events but it looks interesting. They're having a highland games one day event/clinic in July which sounds like fun. For some reason it's just the shot putt that tickles my fancy. Might have to try an pick one up and see if I get the bug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

kevpants wrote: »
    Cheers!

Apparently there's a place on Richmond Road that sell 7.26kg (full size) shots as well. My ludicrously long garden could be in for a pummeling, be interesting to see what I could fling it straight off with no technique.

Anything over 8 metres would be good going for a complete beginner. Wasn't aware of the place in Richmond Road. If this doesn't pan out, you can get a shot delivered from fitnessfunctions.ie for around 35 quid.

You should try to get to a coached session, or at least train alongside an experienced thrower as quickly as possible. Throwing in the garden is fun - as long as aren't that bothered about your lawn - but you will probably find your own ways of adding distance, and these are likely to be bad, if not illegal, habits (illegal as in they would be fouls in competition). Then you will have to unlearn all of these when you do start getting coaching, which is frustrating for people, as they get worse (distance-wise) before they get better.

Good luck with it. Looking at the weights you are doing, you should be competitive in no time.

• Advertisement

Bruce7 wrote: »

That's savage thanks. They don't train a million miles away from me either from the looks of things.

Advertisement