Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Does my bum look big in this squat rack?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Who names there dog chloe :confused:

I once had a hedgehog called pig.

How about pig? :pac:

Would you go for an irish name??

So banbh then?

Yeah Irish is an option. Nothing too "new age". Oireachtas Carragher doesn't have a great ring to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

how about Aisling, or Shona?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

SaorsePants?

AoifePants?

saorse is too TG4

saorse is too TG4

I can't stand that Ronan one either. Hate overconfident kids. None of that in my household. A good old fashioned Irish chip on the shoulder for my younglings.

Last 2 sessions:

1/3/10 Military Press c12w2

80% 60 x 3
    85% 65 x 3
    90% 70 x 8

60kg x 20 reps

Weighted dips +30kg - 30 reps Ithink, maybe 25...

4/3/10 Deadlift c12w2

80% 180 x 3
    85% 190 x 3
    90% 200 x 8 Serious PR

Snatch grip power shrugs :confused:
    (otherwise known as hand removers)
    140kg x 25 reps

HS Row Machine: 100kg - 40 reps

An embarrassment of paused ab rollouts.

Delighted with the deadlifts, I'm sure it was 8 reps, I was a bit distracted by the fact that the weight room is upstairs and the noise was unholy when I dropped every rep. I aimed for 6 but got 2 extra... must have been eight!

The snatch grip power shrugs I made up on the spot because I can't do rack pulls in Coolock. Killed my entire back and my straps tried to dislocate my hands. Also I suprising amount of stress on the abs. Liked 'em.

Really happy with training, time off suits me so much better than hard work ever could. Think I'm giving Chad Aichs a run for his money (in the never training but getting stronger stakes not the overall beastman stakes)

• Advertisement

kevpants wrote: »

90% 200 x 8 Serious PR
    cheers for stealing my thunder...

seriously impressive!, by the way

Eric is a seriously cool name aswell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

You're getting seriously strong. What's the weight at now??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

Think I'm giving Chad Aichs a run for his money (in the never training but getting stronger stakes not the overall beastman stakes)

And soon you'll be getting up 20+ times a night too :pac:

cheers for stealing my thunder...

seriously impressive!, by the way

Eric is a seriously cool name aswell.

No way buddy 150 x 10 at your age is stupid strong. Any deadlift by 10 is stupid strong. Oxygen doesn't seem to reach your brain doing deadlifts.
    Hanley wrote: »
    You're getting seriously strong. What's the weight at now??

Thanks man. You're not too shabby yourself. Plus you seem to be able to keep this gap ebtween us that I can't feckin overcome. Even when you went all Crossfit!

I'm 225lbs (102kg) as of this morning. I actually lost weight the last few weeks. Painting, moving boxes etc all counts as cardio when you're as sedentary as me!
    podge57 wrote: »
    And soon you'll be getting up 20+ times a night too :pac:

That's my next trick. Get stronger while not training or sleeping. Maybe I can nap between sets.

Well in fairness I'm hardly gonna let you catch me without a fight??

And 102...?? Thought you were around 110?? That makes it even more impressive. I'll have to come up to Coolock some day and get a sesh in withcha!

• Advertisement

Well in fairness I'm hardly gonna let you catch me without a fight??

And 102...?? Thought you were around 110?? That makes it even more impressive. I'll have to come up to Coolock some day and get a sesh in withcha!

Definitely pop up for a session. Text me during the day you're thinking of heading up.

Yeah my weight never shot back up after I gace up on the diet & cardio. Who knew!?

Last 2 sessions:

5/3/10 Bench c12w2

80% 90 x 3
    85% 95 x 3
    90% 105 x 6

This was suitably terrible considering my upper back was killing me from the previous nights deadlifts. Whatever..bench.. meh.

Weighted dips +40kg - 30 reps

These are cool.

8/3/10 Squat C12w3

75% 150 x 5
    85% 170 x 3
    95% 190 x 5 Big PR

160kg - 9 triples.

What a session. My squat's in good shape. I might actually be able to compete at the end of the month. Haven't applied yet though!

Dunno what I'd go for in the squat. Reckon 230 is there. Whether that happens I can't say. If I don't get at least that it's my own fault. I'm way up on my numbers from last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

60kg x 20 reps

Nobody else here gives a crap about pressing but i think that's a savage number.

Nobody else here gives a crap about pressing but i think that's a savage number.

After I left that hanging for a few days.... that was the total number of reps over a few sets. Heh heh.

11/3/10 Military Press c12w3

75% 60 x 5
    85% 65 x 3
    95% 75 x 5

Weighted dips +40kg - 20 reps

Dumbell curl and bodyweight dip superset thingy.

Superset thingy was to get blood into my elbows, I tweaked them again squatting and it's that horrible nerve pain that saps my bench stength. Great!

12/03/10 Deadlift Testing

Worked up to 250kg for a handy enough single.

Put 260kg on the bar but after the initial pull it was obvious it wasn't going anywhere so there was no point in draining myself.

With the TF Coolock bars this isn't that bad I suppose. I had hoped 260kg was in me but I'm not too confident I'll manage that in comp. 250kg should be ok so maybe I'll go:

220kg
    250kg
    260kg

as my deadlift attempts.

Need to test my squat and my bench this week than rest and hope my elbows are ok for the 27th.

Dunno what I'm gonna do about the whole spotter situation in Coolock.

You don't have to go balls out on the squat and bench dude... c'mon, ya know better!!!

Glad to see you manning up and doing the comp :)

You don't have to go balls out on the squat and bench dude... c'mon, ya know better!!!

Glad to see you manning up and doing the comp :)

No I just want to get a feel for what the weights feel like. I need a spotter though. I'll try and stop when I feel I'm at about 90%. (Like that'll happen).

Squat & Bench testing - Hercs

Squat:

Worked up to 220kg. Missed my first attempt due to going way too deep and getting buried. Got a single on the seconf but it was a big effort. Cut it a bit deep again.

That's a PR and hopefully my 2nd attempt on Saturday.

Bench:

worked up to an easy 130 for a single. Was grand. Just making sure my elbows were ok.

Not all that happy with where I stand stength wise on the squat. 5kg over the course of a whle year is crap really. I know once you get above 2xBW progress is slow but what's frustrating is my rep PR's are off the chart. My conclusion is I need to do more ME stuff this year. Once the comp is over and the few weeks of weight loss are done that's going to be the plan. I'll dispense with 5/3/1 and design my own stuff, based more around Westside but with some stuff I learned from 5/3/1 thrown in.

The biggest jump I got was just over a year ago with the transition from Westside to 5/3/1. I think backing off from the ME with some 5/3/1 style stuff was what gave me the slingshot. In the long run 5/3/1 dissapointed me on its own. I know I have gotten stronger and might even manage 225kg in comp if my form stays tight but really I know my body just didn't want to deal with an ME lift.

I need 200kg+ on my back several times a month from now on in. 5/3/1 may have worked better had I competed several times during the year. With one or two comps a year I ahven't taken a max single in 12 months! That's just not powerlifting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭mrkf1984

Squat & Bench testing - Hercs

I need 200kg+ on my back several times a month from now on in. 5/3/1 may have worked better had I competed several times during the year. With one or two comps a year I ahven't taken a max single in 12 months! That's just not powerlifting.

nothing like a few heavy singles every few weeks. good luck with your comp.

Hope you'd fun today. But not TOO much. If you get used to the place you'll never leave and then I'll be in wifepants bad books.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Pavel66

Hi Kev,

Thanks for the support on Saturday and well done on your own lifts :D

Nice to meet you and good luck with the impending arrival. I have two sons myself and it definitely makes you stronger!

• Advertisement

Sooooooo it finally happened. I'm a daddy!

Elective c-section on Tuesday morning and baby Moya Anne Carragher arrived with a good healthy scream. 9lbs 1oz of Carragher beef.

She's a happy little tot and her and Mammy will be in hospital until Sunday when I have to drive her home without killing her. This will be a challenge of legendary proportions.

Can't put into words how fab she is.

Before this I did some training and lost some weight. I no longer care...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

'gratz

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭VIS VIRES

congratulations, Dadpants:D

Thanks all. I'll be just trying to keep the weight loss going for the next few weeks before I kit out the gym and get back to lifting things (on 2 hrs sleep).

on Tuesday morning and baby Moya Anne Carragher arrived with a good healthy scream. 9lbs 1oz of Carragher beef.

Pics of GTFO :D:D

I'm so so happy for ya bro!! I did a little dance in the middle of Liffey Valley when I got your text on Tuesday afternoon :)

Seriously, biggest congrats ever. You guys are gonna be great parents. Tell mumpants I was asking for her!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Pavel66

Welcome to a whole new world Kev! Congrats to you and the wife :D

Pics of GTFO :D:D

I'm so so happy for ya bro!! I did a little dance in the middle of Liffey Valley when I got your text on Tuesday afternoon :)

Seriously, biggest congrats ever. You guys are gonna be great parents. Tell mumpants I was asking for her!

Aww shucks. Thanks buddy. Didn't get to reply to any texts back because there were 1000 of them and I've been all over the shop since!
    Pavel66 wrote: »
    Welcome to a whole new world Kev! Congrats to you and the wife :D

A new world is right!

Weight is down to 223.4lbs, partly due to not having time to eat and partly to do with the fact that Moya's needs have me making about 100 trips up and down the stairs every day. Also she's decided night time is trouble making time so instead of sleeping I'm doing steady state cardio with her :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Congratulations on baby bradpants man. :pac:

So 6 weeks off, little one is thriving away, and my gym gear has arrived...

Celtic Pecs Avenue is up an running

So my new periodization style of approaching things is going to look like this:

4-6 weeks muscle building (Doggcrapp)
    break
    6-8 weeks Volume (modified 5/3/1)
    break
    4-6 weeks Realization (Westside type stuff)

16/5/10

DC Workout 1

Chest: Bench 100kg x8/3/2 = 13
    Shoulders: Seated press 60kg x8/3/2 = 13
    Tri's: Rolling tri exts 15kg x11/5/5 = 21
    Back width: Wide pullup x5/3/2 = 10
    Back thickness: Deadlift 200kg x 3/ 160kg x 8

Deadlifts at the end? SRSLY??

19/5/10

DC Workout 2

Biceps (ha!) BB curl 40kg x7/3/2 =12
    Forearms (see above) Rev BB curl 20kg x 9/5/5 = 19
    Hamstrings: Sumo SLDL 100kg x15/8/6 =29
    Squats: 180kg x 3/ 120kg x 17

I've forgotten how to squat agin. Meant to get 20 reps with 120kg but the bar actually fell off my back!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

How are the doms after 6 weeks away? Nice set up!

Advertisement