Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite city ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

Wompa1 wrote: »
    It's on my list of places to go. Any advise accomodation wise? Are the gondolas expensive? the only way to get around?

Oh Venice is just magical :) We were there last Summer. We actually stayed in Lake Garda and Verona and just went to Venice for a day.
    Yes the gondolas are CRAZY expensive but i've since heard that you can haggle down alot.
    We walked around for the day and it perfect.

The bad: It was August, the heat was hard to cope in and it was absolutely mobbed. I have heard many people complaining of a smell but i didnt get the smell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

London's the place for me! Yes, it's blooming expensive compared to a lot ol other cities but this is a place where you've got the best libraries, concert venues, restaurants and parks within easy reach. It's a city where anyone of any age can have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

I ❤ London!

Why is kilkenny there its not even a real city.

I vote for my home town Galway, which isn't in the poll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Washington DC or San Diego definately have to be up there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I voted Rome. Had Manhattan been a city of itself then perhaps I'd have had to think about it.

I wonder how many who voted New York were actually only in Manhattan?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

bronte wrote: »
    I ❤ London!

You Batman London?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

NothingMan wrote: »
    You Batman London?

Yes. Yes I do. :pac:

I voted Rome. Had Manhattan been a city of itself then perhaps I'd have had to think about it.

I wonder how many who voted New York were actually only in Manhattan?

To be fair I quite like Brooklyn, a lot of cool gigs and shops out there and really ncie brownstone houses, Coney Island isn't the worst, Queens is a bit boring yeah but it's just residential mostly while the Bronx has improved immensely in recent years. Staten Island is the definition of American suburbia so yeah that borough is pretty rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

NYC - love the place.

LOL at belfast included in poll easily the worst dump ive visited - and being from athlone im qualified to judge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

kerryman12 wrote: »
    I was sure I was going to like San Fran also, but I didnt. Not sure why I think it was the level of homeless people in all of the public parks etc.
    Me too. I had heard so much good things about San Fran but was ultimately disappointed by the numbers of homeless people, many of whom it seems are mentally unwell. It's sad that they are left to roam the streets.

Conversely, I had heard very few positive reports about LA but ended up loving it when I went earlier this year. The areas out around Beverly Hills and West Hollywood are more like a collection of small towns, with a lovely laid-back appeal.

If I have to choose though, New York for me. I've been at least twice a year for the past 4 years and I still feel a surge of excitement when the Manhattan skyline comes into view as you make your way over from JFK. I've been there with my wife, my parents, various friends and there's always something for us to do there. Really an astonishing city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

I presume Venice was left of the poll because it would be an unfair fight with everyone voting for it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

:cool:Rome by a long shot.:cool:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

I definitely wouldn't mind living in Manhattan or Rome.

I don't really like Paris or London that much though.

In Dublin for now though, and its not so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Bronx has improved immensely in recent years. .

that wasn't hard it looked like a war zone in the 80s, early 90s

harlem improved beyond recognition too

there are really nice places in the new york city catchment area, hoboken is lovely, union city, north bergen and newark not so much

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭TemptationWaits

I love cities so nearly all the ones I've visited are my favourites, but I suppose the ones I liked the most were Edinburgh, Miami, San Francisco, London, and Barcelona.

If you haven't been to Edinburgh go!! Ahhh it's been a few years now since I've been there, want to go back so much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Boston for me, I was only there for a couple of days but I absolutely loved it. If only they lowered the drinking age so I could have enjoyed it more.-.-

I was in New York that same week and while it was better craic all, I really couldn't imagine living there, whereas I'd fcuking love to live in Boston.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Rome for the history, culture and food. Berlin for the nightlife.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    that wasn't hard it looked like a war zone in the 80s, early 90s

harlem improved beyond recognition too

there are really nice places in the new york city catchment area, hoboken is lovely, union city, north bergen and newark not so much

:eek: I had no idea that it was that bad back then, it looks like a scene from during the Bosnian war.

Yeah Hoboken is a nice spot alright. Newark had its first murder free year since 1964 in 2009 so slight improvement there perhaps :pac:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭RockinRolla

Lulz at the 17 who chose Dublin - they most likely haven't been outside their hall door. Sad really.

Anyway - where's the Sao Paulo option? :mad:

It's bigger than New York, more multi-cultural than London, more liberal than San Francisco and warmer than Miami.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Easy choice for me, has to be London, still never tire of flying into Heathrow over the city, love everything about London :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Tough descision but I chose San Francisco above my other favourites(Paris, Boston and Barcelona).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

godscop wrote: »
    Madrid is great..gran via though :eek:
    Myself and my mate who lives there were on the metro about 10am. There was a girl on it who was stunning and very dressed up. We got off and were walking down Gran Via and she was just ahead i was thinking jesus wheres she off to, then my friend tells me to look around at all the girls dressed the same. Women looking for punters at 10am :D

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Seosaimh77

Barcelona was the only city I've ever been to that impressed me. Up til then I just found cities very dull and pretty much the same all over

Then two of the 3 people I was travelling with got pickpocketted - kinda put a downer on the place, but it was still a great city

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Vegas baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

London town for me, but I did spend a funny 24 hours in Batman, Turkey. A very funny town in a not funny way

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

Odats wrote: »
    Vegas baby.

i hate that place

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Can i have 2 votes?

New York and Paris. Gun to head, New York (but enough about the street crime there!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭flag123

Where's Limerick Citaaaaaaay?

And I can't f*ck off to cork either.....

Dublin it is so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭flag123

Lulz at the 17 who chose Dublin - they most likely haven't been outside their hall door. Sad really.

Anyway - where's the Sao Paulo option? :mad:

It's bigger than New York, more multi-cultural than London, more liberal than San Francisco and warmer than Miami.

Sound's sh*t

Advertisement