Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Having experienced what freezing rain can do to the roads and footpaths today, I certainly do not envy anyone venturing out tomorrow if they get freezing rain. Snow is much less dangerous!

I know, I've a lot of driving to do tomorrow and I am not looking forward to it, especially with the way some f**king idiots were driving the past week in less dangerous snow. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Tonight Met Eireann made Sunday sound like a potential repeat of the worst ICE storm of the 20th century which occured in the UK during the middle of WW11 - It was not widley reported on because of the "black out" but people in the many parts thought they were being bombed by the Germans such was the noise of collapsing trees and powerlines:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

:eek:Check this out, according to the nra site their station on the N11 at ennischorthy is at -10.4c and the N25 just south of wexford it at +2.3c.

http://www.trafficweather.info/roadWeather/rwisMap.jsp?client=208

Thats a difference of 12.7c in 12 miles!!!!!:eek:

Here its -9.6, up from a low -10.9 an hour ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭giggsirish

Jumped from -10 to -3 here in 2 hours! Wild jumps..and its still climbing..02oC every 5-10 minutes. 10km up the road its still -10.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Tonight Met Eireann made Sunday sound like a potential repeat of the worst ICE storm of the 20th century which occured in the UK during the middle of WW11 - It was not widley reported on because of the "black out" but people in the many parts thought they were being bombed by the Germans such was the noise of collapsing trees and powerlines:eek::eek:

Not aware of the 1941 event, but there was an 'ice storm' on March 30th of this very year that knocked out power to thousands of homes in Northern Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Liffey almost completely floeing ice now!! A couple more days of this and we would have a frozen Liffey!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

Supercell wrote: »
    Liffey almost completely floeing ice now!! A couple more days of this and we would have a frozen Liffey!!

pics??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

latest ME obs: Casement 0c Dublin Airport -8
    how can this be possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The wartime freezing rain storm in England was around 25 Jan 1940.

Have not been doing much weather work today, and will update my forecast around 0600, can see this potential from the way the cold air is hanging on tough in central and eastern counties. Let's hope a lot of it happens as some other form such as snow or ice pellets first, but I am also seeing some potential for rather heavy rainfalls on Monday. This could get very messy, sadly.

Anyone with relatives about to fly out to NYC or Boston, if that's even possible on Sunday, may find their flights being cancelled due to a snowstorm developing there too. I've been seeing forecasts of one to two feet of snow by Monday there. :eek:

Here, we just have the rain and the 11 degrees. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere's the Atlantic

image.ashx?country=eu&type=last&time=&sat=

theshining_wideweb__470x312,0.jpg

:P

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

so what exactly is freezing rain? are we talking giant hail stones or wha?

latest ME obs: Casement 0c Dublin Airport -8
    how can this be possible?

Just noticed that. Cant figure this out? The relief of the area is similar to the neg temp both above and below.

what.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Ive seen this happening on a number of occasions before when the temp on the coast was 5 or 6 degrees higher than inland, then the wind gets up a little from the south and boom the temp shoots up. That has happened again this evening, was -2.8c at 9pm now its +0.2c
    I drove back this late evening from outside Dungarvan, was 3 degrees, temperature fluctuated all the way in the car to my location, a bit less than 20 km inland North from Dungarvan, -1 when we arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

philstar wrote: »
    so what exactly is freezing rain? are we talking giant hail stones or wha?

One of the more knowledgable posters will probably correct me but my simple understand of it is that it is rain which freezes upon impact with the ground / a tree / a powerline etc. Near instant ice. The more of it falls the thicker the ice is. It's very adept at tricking unsuspecting motorists and pedestrians, not to mention bringing down trees and powerlines in extreme episodes of it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

giggsirish wrote: »
    Just noticed that. Cant figure this out? The relief of the area is similar to the neg temp both above and below.

what.jpg

Its not the first time a weird temp flux has been seen at casement , I think Su had a thread on it there recently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

dsmythy wrote: »
    One of the more knowledgable posters will probably correct me but my simple understand of it is that it is rain which freezes upon impact with the ground / a tree / a powerline etc. Near instant ice. The more of it falls the thicker the ice is. It's very adept at tricking unsuspecting motorists and pedestrians, not to mention bringing down trees and powerlines in extreme episodes of it.

Yeah, thats it basically.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

yeah found that thread on the temp flux in casement

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056101408

-9c here 3 miles from Casement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

So, is it coincidence that we got 2 very cold winters in a row, or is it global warming and this is what to expect every winter from now on?

yeah found that thread on the temp flux in casement

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056101408

Radiant heat from buildings- Helicopters- Government jets or Aliens.

I reckon ALIENS in Government jets.

Joking aside . Thanks pistolpetes11 for digging out the thread.

Warming steadily here. Now -1.5 on the station display.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere's the Atlantic

image.ashx?country=eu&type=last&time=&sat=

theshining_wideweb__470x312,0.jpg

:P

Yep - nothing kills lying snow like an Atlantic warm front:(

Getting freaky now. Snow on top of my gauge is obviously melting as im reading rain this past hour. Now Up to - 0.4!!

Right now, the Liffey is totally frozen over at the East Link Bridge.
    100% iced over!!!!!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Take pictures darnit!!!

There are no wavy reflections anymore!!! The Liffey is frozen over to the East Link Bridge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are no wavy reflections anymore!!! The Liffey is frozen over to the East Link Bridge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get out there and get your pics !

Temp has gone from -9.7 to -5.9 here in Newbridge

Some body has put up a vid on Youtube , but you cant really see it too well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWSoNuHtVaI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

1 MILLION VIEWS just :) ..
    :eek::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

Saganist wrote: »
    1 MILLION VIEWS just :) ..
    :eek::pac::pac:

245 to make that magic million :) Now should i stay up to see it tick over? :D Oh the thaw is strong here near Mace Head Galway :) 5C and climbing :)

EDIT: 1,000,000 + Views hit :D Its been fun been part of it :)

Just gone into positive temps for 1st time in 6 days!! (Just as thread hit the 1Million views) 11oC rise in just over 4 hours

and here she comes!
    Web_radar.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Right now, the Liffey is totally frozen over at the East Link Bridge.
    100% iced over!!!!!!

River Barrow in Graignamanagh was frozen over this morning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement