Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharon Commins on Prime Time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Just dont be wasting your time helping Irish homeless people or anything.

Psst... Come here a sec... whisper now; I'm going to tell you the big secret. Are you ready? Listen carefully now. "It's possible to do both." Ssshhh! Don't tell anyone! Heap big secret!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Psst... Come here a sec... whisper now; I'm going to tell you the big secret. Are you ready? Listen carefully now. "It's possible to do both." Ssshhh! Don't tell anyone! Heap big secret!
    Its possible all right, but you don't get the same plaudits for both do you? Il say it again I don't mind the motivation as good work is done, but its not some selfless act of charity, it looks good on the CV and you get to be like Bono and spout on about how great you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Degsy wrote: »
    No..there is nothing worse tha a self-righteous idealogue pissing on about thier holiday with a few asides about how great they are thrown in.

Wrong. A self-righteous, self-important, narcissistic idealogue pissing on the genuine efforts of others - trying to make the world a better place in their own small way - by questioning their motivation and disparaging their character without an iota of fact to back such meaningless accusations is far, far worse.

Its possible all right, but you don't get the same plaudits for both do you? Il say it again I don't mind the motivation as good work is done, but its not some selfless act of charity, it looks good on the CV and you get to be like Bono and spout on about how great you are.

Are you a mind reader?

Just because this is A POSSIBLE motivation, doesn't mean it is THE motivation.

Maybe you chose to believe so because that is the only motivation that you can see pushing you to participate in something worthwhile?

This kind of baseless accusation says 100x more about the person making them than the person they are being made against.

Unless you don't do those things, of course. By your same token, any charity work done in Ireland has the same motivations. Now, of course people partake in work because it makes them feel good, but when they draw their joy from helping other people, it's quite difficult to objectively label that selfish.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Memnoch wrote: »
    - trying to make the world a better place in their own small way

A getting a shiitload of kudos for it too...hypocrites to a man.

No more than they feckin deserve.

What amazes me more though is your religious zeal in disparaging their motivation without any evidence or indication to back it up.

To you the fact that they get kudos is proof that they did what they did simply in order to get said kudos? Your logic would be laughable if it wasn't so pitiful.

That's not hypocrisy.

Would they do half the charity work if they got no plaudits for it? I don't think so.

Would they do half the charity work if they got no plaudits for it? I don't think so.

Any basis for the speculation? The work isn't easy. If they were doing it just for the pat on the back at the end, they have very low expectations. I think your position is pretty untenable. Would you go two or three thousand miles, into a warzone, risk your life, just for stories to tell and to impress other people?

• Advertisement

Any basis for the speculation? The work isn't easy. If they were doing it just for the pat on the back at the end, they have very low expectations. I think your position is pretty untenable. Would you go two or three thousand miles, into a warzone, risk your life, just for stories to tell and to impress other people?
    For an adventure? Many would. Why do you think so many go to war?

For an adventure? Many would. Why do you think so many go to war?

I don't think you really understand either mindset, at all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Just a thought, why not go find a few charity workers and ask them instead of making lazy generalisations and flawed assumptions.

Memnoch wrote: »
    No more than they feckin deserve.

They deserve nothing but abuse..creeping-jesus do-gooders..not only that but they launch "appeals" in work etc before they head off to get people to pay thier airfare.

A woman in work went round collecting money to send her daughter to south africa to build huts for people...expecting US to stump up the money for her holiday..no way,pedro.

marco_polo wrote: »
    Just a thought, why not go find a few charity workers and ask them instead of making lazy generalisations and flawed assumptions.
    I do charity work. Have spent my summers doing such for years, I dont spout n about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

Dudess wrote: »
    Yeah, silly cow - publicity stunt clearly.

And why shouldn't she tell her story. She went through a terrible ordeal and deserves to be compensated. Goal did not fulfill their responsibilities to her and it was important that this was highlighted.

They deserve nothing but abuse..creeping-jesus do-gooders..not only that but they launch "appeals" in work etc before they head off to get people to pay thier airfare.

A woman in work went round collecting money to send her daughter to south africa to build huts for people...expecting US to stump up the money for her holiday..no way,pedro.
    I was at a meeting about those trips to Africa and South America a few weeks ago, you only actually do charity work for half of it, go kayaking and sh!t for the rest.

I do charity work. Have spent my summers doing such for years, I dont spout n about it.

You're doing it now.:rolleyes:

You're doing it now.:rolleyes:
    In fairness the poster said to go ask some charity workers

You take ONE anecdotal example and use that to tar everyone with the same brush?

It might be true that there are people out these who use the guise of charity work to enrich themselves/enjoy themselves or whatever. But how you go from there to tarring ANYONE who engages in charity work in this way is not a leap of logic, it's a leap of fantasy fuelled by god only knows what.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Fair play, but it only makes it all the more puzzling that you can't seem to accept that the vast majority do the same for nobel reasons.

Fair play, but it only makes it all the more puzzling that you can't seem to accept that the vast majority do the same for nobel reasons.
    I dont think most of them do it for noble reasons. They do it for the "fair play" you just gave me there.

Would they do it if the reaction was negative? I dont think so.

I dont think most of them do it for noble reasons. They do it for the "fair play" you just gave me there.

Would they do it if the reaction was negative? I dont think so.

You think so, not because is true, but because you need to believe it true to fit your world view, its basically confirmation bias.

A classic example of confimation would be somebody trawling through facebook links to 'prove' their point for example.

You think so, not because is true, but because you need to believe it true to fit your world view, its basically confirmation bias.

A classic example of confimation would be somebody trawling through facebook links to 'prove' their point for example.
    I could easily twist what you said there and aim it at you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Collecting for Sinn Fein isn't charity work.

Why don't you do it in the Winter?

Collecting for Sinn Fein isn't charity work.

Why don't you do it in the Winter?
    Wow, how funny, no wait its not. Go back to talking about taking a sh!t.

I could easily twist what you said there and aim it at you.

You could, but since I am challenging your sweeping generalisations about charity workers rather than making any of my own, I doubt it would work out very well.

By all means have a go though I could use the entertainment value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Wow, how funny, no wait its not. Go back to talking about taking a sh!t.

I see the truth hurts there ...... .

Why not see these punters for what they are, gimps who wouldn't lift a digit to help the local people but are well able to to travel to exotic locations to 'help'.

Charity begins at home, I was always told;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Untrained eejits being sent in to Africa by a business to drum up more money to keep the family trade going. That is what Goal is.

Charity begins at home. But in Ireland charity work is, unseen, gritty and thankless and people don't give a toss what you do. Flute off to Africa for six months after grifting off every friend, neighbour and co-worker for the price of the flight and a nice little stipend for JO'S to keep him and his family in their accustomed in Killiney and you're a god.

It's a no-brainer for the daddy's boys and girls who need to 'give something back'.

Why not send every dime you raise to, say the likes of, the Kilteagan Missions who actually have experienced people working on the ground in African communities for decades? No holiday to Kilimanjaro, that's why.

Advertisement