Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharon Commins on Prime Time

Options
  • 21-12-2010 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what her angle is on doing this documentary now?

Seems strange to me. Like she's hunting a payout for compensation.

Oh breaking news: darfur is a war zone. Aid work ain't tourism
    :rolleyes:

Looks like she could have got out of there before the kidnap if she wanted

Having said that how can John o'shea justify goal policy not being followed. Makes you wonder for the others out there

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bigwormbundoran

She'd get it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

She'd get it though

No way man, never touch a chick that has spent time in Africa. The place is riddled, god only knows what she got up ta.

well before she was held for ransom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Bloody pinko do-gooders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

listning in now and then, she had a nightmare time, listning to her, you can see she will never get over it, and for her the way she speaking, it is as if it happened yesterday, i feel sorry for her, to have been treated that way, so cruel those kidnappers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Goldenegg

I think she came across quite well actually...

That whole documentary proved what a knob your man is who runs goal!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭bobblepuzzle

Having said that how can John o'shea justify goal policy not being followed. Makes you wonder for the others out there

Er, would you not want compo for no training that cost you 107 days in brutal captivity in a desert? It may have been inevitable even with the training, but the organisation shunned their responsibility and should be held accountable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

She'd get it though

She defiitely would

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

naive woman

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭diamondtooth

She asked for training 11 months before the kidnapping and never got any!

And after the ordeal Goal offered her counselling only 10 days after she returned to Dublin!

Its terrible Goal treated her like this. I'm glad she has spoken about her story. Companies have been treating staff like this for too long and getting away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah, silly cow - publicity stunt clearly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭bobblepuzzle

Dudess wrote: »

What?! How? I found it a really interesting piece, told by one of the women involved... just because a programme like it comes out with a victim, "uh publicity" bs tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Er, would you not want compo for no training that cost you 107 days in brutal captivity in a desert? It may have been inevitable even with the training, but the organisation shunned their responsibility and should be held accountable

I'd need to consider all options before going

Is it reasonable for goal to take responsibility for every mad man in every region they are in?

I didn't recall Brian Keenan reflecting with a similar outlook after he was released

Did she think she was going todisneyland?

Also several references on programme to goal "employees". I thought they were all volunteers!!! Ehats all that about??

Yep..glad you agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Just subbing to this thread. I expect great things for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

What?! How? I found it a really interesting piece, told by one of the women involved... just because a programme like it comes out with a victim, "uh publicity" bs tbh
    I was being ironcastic.

I was being ironcastic.

Yeah but you were right..she is a silly cow looking for publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭dixiefly

She was scathing towards Goal at the end and probably rightly so.
    She said that there was negligence in leaving her in there and then did not arrange councilling for her in the required time.

Pretty damning on John O'Shea and Goal. I dont know if this is a once off but anymore bad publicity like this would be disastrous for an organisation that relies on donations to survive.

dixiefly wrote: »
    I dont know if this is a once off but anymore bad publicity like this would be disastrous for an organisation that relies on donations to survive.

All those "aid" organisations are rotten from the arse up..the directors take huge fees for themselves and a lot of the staff are paid too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

it will open alot of young peoples eyes to the dangers of this work, and they will better informed by her telling it as it is, no roses, just cruel.

• Advertisement

Obaraten wrote: »
    Was she tortured in captivity or what?

You getting off on this?

dixiefly wrote: »
    She was scathing towards Goal at the end and probably rightly so.
    She said that there was negligence in leaving her in there and then did not arrange councilling for her in the required time.

Pretty damning on John O'Shea and Goal. I dont know if this is a once off but anymore bad publicity like this would be disastrous for an organisation that relies on donations to survive.

Didn't she say she had the opportunity to leave by helicopter before the kidnap but she decided not to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭High energy

I'm cancelling my monthly direct debit to Goal immediately after viewing that documentary.

Oh wait I don't have one..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Also several references on programme to goal "employees". I thought they were all volunteers!!! Ehats all that about??

Well you got it wrong then. These people are employees. Why would they be volunteers? If these were all volunteer jobs you'd only get inexperienced/unqualified people applying. Do you not think trained professionals should be sent for these kinds of things?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

dory wrote: »
    Well you got it wrong then. These people are employees. Why would they be volunteers? If these were all volunteer jobs you'd only get inexperienced/unqualified people applying. Do you not think trained professionals should be sent for these kinds of things?

What salaries are they on?

Wasn't it one point of the documentary that she didn't get training???

You think her masters in international studies helped her when she was kidnapped?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

For some reason I have an imaginary version of Gold by Spandau Ballet where the the word Gold is replaced with GOAL in it in my head now.

That is all.

after listening to her tonight, i would not do that work and i hope none of my kids would ever, i would be very worried about them as this could happen again, going to dangerous areas, would not like anyone belonging to me going through the cruelty that girl went through, not knowing whether she would be killed, and when they would kill her, where they would bury her, what a way to live for such a long period, in dire cruelty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Be||e

Degsy wrote: »
    All those "aid" organisations are rotten from the arse up..the directors take huge fees for themselves and a lot of the staff are paid too.
    Yes, doctors, nurses, engineers etc. work for these organisations. You think they shouldn't get paid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

Be||e wrote: »
    Yes, doctors, nurses, engineers etc. work for these organisations. You think they shouldn't get paid?

Yes

Advertisement