Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharon Commins on Prime Time

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I see the truth hurts there ...... .

Why not see these punters for what they are, gimps who wouldn't lift a digit to help the local people but are well able to to travel to exotic locations to 'help'.

Charity begins at home, I was always told;)
    Truth hurts? How pathetic. I have never collected for Sinn Féin or any political party, I'm not even a member ffs.

Why don't you go back to posting crap on the politics forum... oh wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Untrained eejits being sent in to Africa by a business to drum up more money to keep the family trade going. That is what Goal is.

Charity begins at home. But in Ireland charity work is, unseen, gritty and thankless and people don't give a toss what you do. Flute off to Africa for six months after grifting off every friend, neighbour and co-worker for the price of the flight and a nice little stipend for JO'S to keep him and his family in their accustomed in Killiney and you're a god.

It's a no-brainer for the daddy's boys and girls who need to 'give something back'.

Why not send every dime you raise to, say the likes of, the Kilteagan Missions who actually have experienced people working on the ground in African communities for decades? No holiday to Kilimanjaro, that's why.

Fair fcuks to you poster, that post just nails it.

Well done.

marco_polo wrote: »
    You could, but since I am challenging your sweeping generalisations about charity workers rather than making any of my own, I doubt it would work out very well.

By all means have a go though I could use the entertainment value.
    I think that most people do charity work for their own benefit, in a bid to portray themselves as morally superior. Many seem to think that doing charity work somehow makes them great. "Hey, I do xyz at the weekend!" Its hard to argue with a saint.

Or maybe I'm just unlucky and its just a coincidence that the vast majority of charity workers I have encountered are like that. It doesn't matter too much though, they still do good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    I dont think most of them do it for noble reasons. They do it for the "fair play" you just gave me there.

Would they do it if the reaction was negative? I dont think so.

You honestly think most people take months out of their lives, spend thousands of their own money working to help other people for a "fair play"? Honestly, that's more than a little difficult to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

I think that most people do charity work for their own benefit, in a bid to portray themselves as morally superior. Many seem to think that doing charity work somehow makes them great. "Hey, I do xyz at the weekend!" Its hard to argue with a saint.

Or maybe I'm just unlucky and its just a coincidence that the vast majority of charity workers I have encountered are like that. It doesn't matter too much though, they still do good work.

Are you sure. Just because I go to a village in Mozambique for six months do not qualify me as any more capable that the folk who live there. The central conceit of western charity, 'I know Better'. No you ****ing don't, pal. Put Soracha from Cabinteely out in the wilderness in Sub Saharan Africa for a night and we'll see what she ****ing knows.

Hell there's a good chance she'd starve on the Bog of Allen.

These do-gooders are more harm to a community than good.

Take for example the people who sent a container of woolly jumpers to Banda Aceh after the tsunami. Banda Aceh, average mean temperature 24-27 degrees.

We don't know better, what these people need is strong government and money, not pasty ****s from SoCoDu, lying prone in tents raving deliriously from malaria and heat stroke.

• Advertisement

That why you do it?

That why you do it?
    For the bitches

No really, its a habit at tis stage, have done it since I was 12 or so.

Are you sure. Just because I go to a village in Mozambique for six months do not qualify me as any more capable that the folk who live there. The central conceit of western charity, 'I know Better'. No you ****ing don't, pal. Put Soracha from Cabinteely out in the wilderness in Sub Saharan Africa for a night and we'll see what she ****ing knows.

Take for example the people who sent a container of woolly jumpers to Banda Aceh after the tsunami. Banda Aceh, average mean temperature 24-27 degrees.

We don't know better, what these people need is strong government and money, not pasty ****s from SoCoDu, lying prone in tents raving deliriously from malaria and heat stroke.
    Sure will we just shoot them all and be done?

You honestly think most people take months out of their lives, spend thousands of their own money working to help other people for a "fair play"? Honestly, that's more than a little difficult to believe.
    Mostly they do collections which cover the expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Sure will we just shoot them all and be done?

What???? Why would you say that? Your conceit is blinkering you.

What can you offer through your skill set that will make a difference to the lives of people in Africa? List them here and now or enough of your ring talk. Let's see what you are about? I could do with a laugh.

PS Daddy's wallet or growing dreadlocks are not skills.

• Advertisement

For the bitches

But that's just you of course. Everyone else has really selfish motives, while you have no driving motive at all (Habit is not a motive).
    Mostly they do collections which cover the expense.

Not by a long way, in my experience. Anything I've ever collected for has had a big chunk of my money in it and anyone I know who's gone abroad has paid a big chunk of cash for the "plaudits".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Both sides have a point here. I know a lot of people who went abroad volunteering. I can only think of one guy who actually seemed to do something worthwhile (medical student). The rest did a bit of a half assed job that would probably have been better done by a local, hey the thousands of euros raised to send the people there could have been used to employ locals. Pump a bit of cash into their economy and give them the feeling of doing stuff for themselves. But nah, fu(k that...

I do feel jipped for contributing to such muppets. Oh well at least they got awesome pictures for their facebook accounts.

But there is some awesome charity work being done out in places that need it. I wouldn't label everyone as an asshole/attention-seeker for going out there, just 99% of college students who do :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

marco_polo wrote: »
    A classic example of confimation would be somebody trawling through facebook links to 'prove' their point for example.

But it DID prove my point..these people are seeking celebrity and getting other rubes to pay thier expenses.

Despite how "hard" they "work" when they're away,they all come back home to daddy with suntans and wall-to wall anecdotes..chairity my arse..just a cheap holiday with a bit of tree-planting throw in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

..... growing dreadlocks are not skills.

ah cock, really? dang-it!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭figarofigaro

Even if Goal workers are the most pretentious arrogant **** going, surely there are other people more deserving of resentment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Degsy wrote: »
    Why do that?
    Middle-class people think irish homeless have nobody to blame but themselves...

Another sweeping generalisation....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

She'd get it though

Yeah well if those camel ****ers didn't have a go it makes you wonder like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Augmerson wrote: »
    Yeah well if those camel ****ers didn't have a go it makes you wonder like.

Can camels contract many zoonoses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

bmarley wrote: »
    And why shouldn't she tell her story. She went through a terrible ordeal and deserves to be compensated. Goal did not fulfill their responsibilities to her and it was important that this was highlighted.
    Read the rest of what I said.
    I do charity work. Have spent my summers doing such for years, I dont spout n about it.
    But you weren't kidnapped which is something it's perfectly reasonable to make a documentary about.
    I see the truth hurts there ...... .

Why not see these punters for what they are, gimps who wouldn't lift a digit to help the local people but are well able to to travel to exotic locations to 'help'.

Charity begins at home, I was always told;)
    What truth hurts whom? All it is is you having a go at anything you perceive as left-wing, the usual. Despite your "charity begins at home" assertion, something tells me you'd be calling charity workers based here "do-gooders" also.
    Charity begins at home. But in Ireland charity work is, unseen, gritty and thankless and people don't give a toss what you do. Flute off to Africa for six months after grifting off every friend, neighbour and co-worker for the price of the flight and a nice little stipend for JO'S to keep him and his family in their accustomed in Killiney and you're a god.

It's a no-brainer for the daddy's boys and girls who need to 'give something back'.

Why not send every dime you raise to, say the likes of, the Kilteagan Missions who actually have experienced people working on the ground in African communities for decades? No holiday to Kilimanjaro, that's why.
    Yes, that applies to every single aid worker ever - simply because you say so. Of course absolutely none of them have more honourable reasons. Also, humanitarian crises in far-flung lands are worse than the crises here. "Charity begins at home" - why?

What about at night?
    Well the colonists who fucked up the place also "knew better", leading to much of the conflict today. When money is sent, it also gets condemned as "throwing money at the problem which won't make it go away, these people need to be educated at grassroots level" - hence aid workers. But either way, no doubt, damned do, damned don't by the naysayers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

I've just finished reading this thread and I'm both surprised and deeply saddened by the views aired here. I didn't know people had such hatred for people who work in developing countries or warzones.

I work for an international development organisation/ charity group. I don't do this work for 'holidays' and I am not a 'disaster tourist'. I completed two degrees and studied hard for 5 years to gain entrance to the organisation I work for; even then I had to undergo 2 strict interviews and take a number of written tests. Yes I get paid for my job, if I didn't then I wouldn't be able to do it. I still need to eat and pay rent and use money the way everyone else does.

For those posters who claim that people like Sharon Commins go abroad simply to be able to regale people back home with stories of adventure then you are really deluded. Do you really think people would travel to disease-stricken African countries simply to tell stories? To be honest, I would be hesitant to tell stories about people dying, children with AIDS-infected parents, rats running rampant, filthy drinking water etc. These are not things people see to build up witty anecdotes for the pub. It's actually the opposite; most development workers I know refuse to talk about such things when they get home as it's simply too difficult.

For what it's worth, I gave up a well-paid job in the legal profession to get into international developent. I didn't do it for plaudits or thanks, but because I genuinely care about the state of the world and the people that live in it. If you choose to believe otherwise then so be it but this is my two cents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

For the bitches

Was it for the prisoners in the Kesh?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Was it for the prisoners in the Kesh?

No, it was to buy guns :D

No, it was just a regular charity which helps disabled people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Susie_Q wrote: »

I work for an international development organisation/ charity group.

Do you stand around Grafton Street and ask people if they have a minute to talk about Concern?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Charity begins at home...shame it will never end though.
    Perhaps people feel their work is more worthwhile feeding the starving masses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

ahem

sorry to interupt the boring biatchfest but back to the topic..............

http://twitter.com/#!/randomirishnews/status/17719740067749888

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

Susie_Q wrote: »
    I've just finished reading this thread and I'm both surprised and deeply saddened by the views aired here. I didn't know people had such hatred for people who work in developing countries or warzones.

You should pay no attention to most of the views expressed here. Just read them again, and count the number of spelling mistakes and the poor grammar. They are merely the meanderings of some type of puerile underclass, the boy racers of the cyberworld. I read this stuff for a laugh and try to guess how many of these boys did their Junior Cert.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

You should pay no attention to most of the views expressed here. Just read them again, and count the number of spelling mistakes and the poor grammar. They are merely the meanderings of some type of puerile underclass, the boy racers of the cyberworld. I read this stuff for a laugh and try to guess how many of these boys did their Junior Cert.:D

Do you want a medal for intelligence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Augmerson wrote: »
    Do you stand around Grafton Street and ask people if they have a minute to talk about Concern?

No. I didn't study for 5 years to work in sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

Do you want a medal for intelligence?

No thanks, you can keep it, I feel you have a greater need of it than me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

No thanks, you can keep it, I feel you have a greater need of it than me.

I'll have it.

Advertisement