Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharon Commins on Prime Time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭baldbear

I wonder who will play Michael Martin when this is made into a film, Stallone maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Danny de Vito I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Degsy and the Flutter are against it.

Good yardstick that it isn't too bad!
    http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

I think she did stay there out of dedication to her job but by the same token, her complaint about 'training' is silly. She came back alive despite having no 'training.' She should have GOT TO THE CHOPPA of course but she didn't. Also, Mr O'Shea comes across really bad. I can't believe that he doesn't think he has any responsibility for those people in terms of security. Hey John, YOU DO. Never liked that pontificating clown...

• Registered Users Posts: 36 frant2

Oh really? If you give me one, just one teeny example of when a civilian has ever prevented the janjaweed militia from slaughtering anybody in Darfur, I will humbly kiss you backside.

As I say, Big boys rules out there-no place for civvies.

So what youre saying is Irish or UN troops land in Darfur armed to the teeth and start chasing the Janjaweed around the desert? that is otherwise known as an invasion and would end up like the US in Afganistan. The only people that the Sudanese allow into these places are neutral Aid agencies like Medecins Sans Frontieres and Goal. This was a war zone and fair dues to them all for going in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I can see both sides to this tbh on the one hand NGO's and aid organisations are doing fantastic work in Darfur and other places, and I applaud them for that. They should really only be operating in places where it is acceptably safe to do so, or else you take your chances on your own.

On the other hand I also don't have a lot of time for someone trying to drum up sympathy because things went awry. The possibility of being kidnapped (or worse) is very real and should be accepted as a hazard of operating out there. A lot of times people put themselves in a risky position, it backfires and I will not support that tbh by glorifying their recklessness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Nodin wrote: »
    ..no, I'd say they're trying to help people.

"publicity seeker"....get a lot of them on AH. Showing up, yammering on about "PC do-gooders" and the like...sad really.

Nobody here is on telly whinging about a self-inflicted ordeal in order to sell a few copies of a book.

Those hippies are all the same,they cant just follow thier "vocation" and shut up about it,the need to yammer on and on to anybody who'll listen about their most recent "working holiday".

If these liberal crusties want to help so badly why dont they start within thier own country?We have our share of social problems and poverty,why dont the middle-class idealists help out here?

The answer is because its not as PC to give a shiit about your own people as it is about africa,as the number of PC trolls in this thread proves...Mighty Whitey wracked with guilt over a continent thousands of miles away yet doesnt care about thier own people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

On at least three different occasions John O'Shea was asked why different Goal policies weren't followed and his answers were all along the lines of "Yes that's the policy but it's not really practicable to follow it".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Degsy wrote: »
    Nobody here is on telly whinging about a self-inflicted ordeal in order to sell a few copies of a book..

No, I said they were on here coming out with the usual phrases, like "PC" "Do-gooder", "hippies" "liberals" etc. 'Lookit at me, I'm speakin me mind, rabble PC rabble PC rabble'.
    If these liberal crusties want to help so badly why dont they start within thier own country?We have our share of social problems and poverty,why dont the middle-class idealists help out here?..

Some do, but of course you've never been a man to let facts stand in your way.
    The answer is because its not as PC to give a shiit about your own people as it is about africa,as the number of PC trolls in this thread proves...Mighty Whitey wracked with guilt over a continent thousands of miles away yet doesnt care about thier own people.

Yes, psychic Degsy - he will look into his crystal ball and tell you your motivations...

is there any group you don't whinge about? Just as a matter of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

If these liberal crusties want to help so badly why dont they start within thier own country?We have our share of social problems and poverty,why dont the middle-class idealists help out here?

Because saying you helped out with flood victims in Cork or Gort doesn't assist in wowing friends whilst nattering over a latté in Clontarf.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Anything that's not left-wing I suspect. I don't understand this sticking rigidly to an ideology stuff - my views mostly default to the left but if something is veering more to the right and I agree with it, I'm not going to pretend not to just because it's not left-wing. It's really not that difficult.
    prinz wrote: »
    On the other hand I also don't have a lot of time for someone trying to drum up sympathy because things went awry.
    But all she's doing is telling her story, not necessarily trying to drum up sympathy. It is a story worth telling after all.
    Nobody here is on telly whinging about a self-inflicted ordeal in order to sell a few copies of a book.
    What book?
    Those hippies are all the same,they cant just follow thier "vocation" and shut up about it,the need to yammer on and on to anybody who'll listen about their most recent "working holiday".
    I don't see how that applies to her - maybe Prime Time went looking for her to speak about her experiences.
    Oh and people aren't trolls just because they disagree with you. "Liberal", "PC" etc, all those expressions - I thought it had been well established at this stage that they look thick.
    I agree with you re some middle-class idealists but ffs there's no need to attack a woman who actually did do a lot more than you or I. I'd apply what you're saying to people who stand outside M&S on a Saturday imploring people not to buy Israeli products but this woman hardly deserves such venom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Holybejaysus

frant2 wrote: »
    So what youre saying is Irish or UN troops land in Darfur armed to the teeth and start chasing the Janjaweed around the desert? that is otherwise known as an invasion and would end up like the US in Afganistan. The only people that the Sudanese allow into these places are neutral Aid agencies like Medecins Sans Frontieres and Goal. This was a war zone and fair dues to them all for going in there.

Oh for the love of God......Dramatize much? :rolleyes: I couldn't be bothered to argue with such hysterical drivel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Should be an Ireland first policy tbh, I understand what Degsy is on about, you get a much bigger pat on the back by going to Africa then you do for doing a soup run or the like here.

I think many are looking for attention, the pat on the back. But I don't care, they do good work, does the motivation really matter?

Dudess wrote: »
    But all she's doing is telling her story, not necessarily trying to drum up sympathy. It is a story worth telling after all.

Probably teh only reason she went to Darfur is so she could come back with a few stories to bore the pants off anybody who sits near her in a bar.

Charity tourists are actually several times worse than the backpakers who come back with henna'd hair and beads in thier fringe,wittering on about Thailand or Ayers Rock orr some Poxy Temple somewhere.

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Should be an Ireland first policy tbh, I understand what Degsy is on about, you get a much bigger pat on the back by going to Africa then you do for doing a soup run or the like here.

I think many are looking for attention, the pat on the back. But I don't care, they do good work, does the motivation really matter?
    I don't think a person is going to go to Darfur to get attention. Parading in a Palestine solidarity march perhaps (I'm vehemently opposed to Israel's occupation btw, but some pro Palestine campaigners make me cringe) which literally involves getting the bus into town, but hardly going the lengths of relocating to Darfur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I'm one of those middle class idealists who has worked here and is looking for further work, but then I get told that there is no poverty here anyway. So I'll sit on me backside until I find a cause worthy enough to regale everyone with my stories in the local sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Self-inflicted? Ballbags. That's like saying a rape victim deserves it because she dresses provocatively. That's just a steaming pile of muck again, and to the "Ireland first" suggestions, great, but until Ireland has famine, mass-murder and genocide, some people aren't going to be able to keep their attention at home when perhaps they feel it's more needed elsewhere. Love the speculation as to people's motivations by the way. Love it.

I don't think a person is going to go to Darfur to get attention. Parading in a Palestine solidarity march perhaps (I'm vehemently opposed to Israel's occupation btw, but some pro Palestine campaigners make me cringe) which literally involves getting the bus into town, but hardly going the lengths of relocating to Darfur.
    I think many are, so they can feel morally superior to those who havent. Thats just from my experience with people who have gone on that type of thing. Nice how you can defend those who go off and volunteer yet run down those who try to do a little to help in the one breath. So its either go to x country and help, or shut up and do nothing? Those women really should have sold those oranges.

Even worse are the trips where you help out for a few weeks then go kayaking and sh!t, thats a bloody holiday.

Self-inflicted? Ballbags. That's like saying a rape victim deserves it because she dresses provocatively. That's just a steaming pile of muck again, and to the "Ireland first" suggestions, great, but until Ireland has famine, mass-murder and genocide, some people aren't going to be able to keep their attention at home when perhaps they feel it's more needed elsewhere. Love the speculation as to people's motivations by the way. Love it.
    We had all those things before.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Self-inflicted? Ballbags. That's like saying a rape victim deserves it because she dresses provocatively..

Only if said rape victim had slipped into the sex offenders wing of a prison contrary to advice. Dressing provocatively and willfully entering a warzone are not comparable in any sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

We had all those things before.

Okay, cool, I'll just pop on the bus down to help out with medical aid at the death camp in Howth now.

Hmm, can't seem to find it...

Well, okay, perhaps I'll try this famine relief programme in Birr I've heard about...

Not a sign of the bloody thing!

Jaysus, these monstrous humanitarian tragedies I'm trying to help with are terribly difficult to find in Ireland! Oh, they happened that long ago? Really? huh, well that's just no bloody use to me at all so. Great non-point though. Super.

Okay, cool, I'll just pop on the bus down to help out with medical aid at the death camp in Howth now.

Hmm, can't seem to find it...

Well, okay, perhaps I'll try this famine relief programme in Birr I've heard about...

Not a sign of the bloody thing!

Jaysus, these monstrous humanitarian tragedies I'm trying to help with are terribly difficult to find in Ireland! Oh, they happened that long ago? Really? huh, well that's just no bloody use to me at all so. Great non-point though. Super.
    Just dont be wasting your time helping Irish homeless people or anything.

I think many are, so they can feel morally superior to those who havent. Thats just from my experience with people who have gone on that type of thing. Nice how you can defend those who go off and volunteer yet run down those who try to do a little to help in the one breath. So its either go to x country and help, or shut up and do nothing?
    Er... you said some people going to Darfur etc are looking for attention (no real reason other than you "think" it), I offered a more realistic example of people looking for attention. Simples.

Er... you said some people going to Darfur etc are looking for attention (no real reason other than you "think" it), I offered a more realistic example of people looking for attention. Simples.
    ffs Woman you are doing the exact same thing as you accuse me of doing "more realistic" because you think it.

Why do that?
    Middle-class people think irish homeless have nobody to blame but themselves...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Probably teh only reason she went to Darfur is so she could come back with a few stories to bore the pants off anybody who sits near her in a bar.

Charity tourists are actually several times worse than the backpakers who come back with henna'd hair and beads in thier fringe,wittering on about Thailand or Ayers Rock orr some Poxy Temple somewhere.

I imagine the only thing worse would be getting stuck in a bar listening to some petty small minded person who does nothing but moan about people incessantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

I really wish people would put this nonsensical argument to bed. ANYTIME ANY CAUSE is brought up, people come up with this moronic argument, 'why don't you...'

So the people who go to Africa are assholes because they don't go help in an Irish soup kitchen and people who help in Irish soup kitchens are assholes because they don't care about the plight of the palestinian people and people who care about the plight of the Palestinian people are assholes because they don't campaign for breast cancer research and awareness and people who campaign for breast cancer research are assholes because they don't fight for equal rights for fathers and so on and so on.

There are innumerable worthy causes in the world and innumerable injustices to fight, far too many for any one person or organisation, and who is to say what is more or less worthy?

Ultimately, people find something they care about, believe in and are passionate enough to try and do something about it, even at great risk to themselves. This should be applauded and recognised for what it is.

But it's far easier to disparage them with this kind of meaningless attack and in my view the people who do this, do so because seeing other people who actually give a **** and try and help prickles some long buried shadow of their conscience and by diminishing the efforts of others and making them seem not worthwhile they can feel better about themselves.

And that's the biggest irony, the people who are pissing on here about others doing things for a pat on the back are doing little more than engaging in the exact same thing, only they are patting themselves on the back for doing nothing, and congratulations to them.

marco_polo wrote: »
    I imagine the only thing worse would be getting stuck in a bar listening to some petty small minded person who does nothing but moan about people incessantly.

No..there is nothing worse tha a self-righteous idealogue pissing on about thier holiday with a few asides about how great they are thrown in.

Memnoch wrote: »
    But it's far easier to disparage them with this kind of meaningless attack and in my view the people who do this, do so because seeing other people who actually give a **** and try and help prickles some long buried shadow of their conscience and by diminishing the efforts of others and making them seem not worthwhile they can feel better about themselves.
    Otherwise, just moaning for the sake of moaning.

• Advertisement

Memnoch wrote: »
    I really wish people would put this nonsensical argument to bed. ANYTIME ANY CAUSE is brought up, people come up with this moronic argument, 'why don't you...'

So the people who go to Africa are assholes because they don't go help in an Irish soup kitchen and people who help in Irish soup kitchens are assholes because they don't care about the plight of the palestinian people and people who care about the plight of the Palestinian people are assholes because they don't campaign for breast cancer research and awareness and people who campaign for breast cancer research are assholes because they don't fight for equal rights for fathers and so on and so on.

There are innumerable worthy causes in the world and innumerable injustices to fight, far too many for any one person or organisation, and who is to say what is more or less worthy?

Ultimately, people find something they care about, believe in and are passionate enough to try and do something about it, even at great risk to themselves. This should be applauded and recognised for what it is.

And that's the biggest irony, the people who are pissing on here about others doing things for a pat on the back are doing little more than engaging in the exact same thing, only they are patting themselves on the back for doing nothing, and congratulations to them.
    I already say they do good work did I not?

Advertisement