Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharon Commins on Prime Time

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

FFS, all the bitching and rolleyes from comfortable chairs behind laptops - it's like some of you are trying to find an excuses to be cynical. Even the stuff in the OP about how she could have got out of there before the kidnap, as if she chose to risk being kidnapped by those nut-jobs. She went there to help people out, she knew it was a war zone, not tourism - that's why she went there to help. Whatever you think about aid initiatives, it's hardly something to be condemned. What exactly is there to be condemned about it? When aid money is sent, there are protestations of "They should be taught how to help themselves" and that is what she was doing. Damned do, damned don't.
    And Prime Time does human interest documentaries all the time - why the focus on this specifically? Just seems like an excuse to sock it to hippies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Dudess wrote: »
    And Prime Time does human interest documentaries all the time - why the focus on this specifically? Just seems like an excuse to sock it to hippies.

Because she was in a place that she'd no business being in and she got kidnapped when she shouldnt have and now she's bitching and gassing about it
    She's a publicity seeker through and through..just like all the PC do-gooders who go to interfere in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

FFS, all the bitching and rolleyes from comfortable chairs behind laptops - it's like some of you are trying to find an excuses to be cynical. Even the stuff in the OP about how she could have got out of there before the kidnap, as if she chose to risk being kidnapped by those nut-jobs. She went there to help people out, she knew it was a war zone, not tourism - that's why she went there to help. Whatever you think about aid initiatives, it's hardly something to be condemned. What exactly is there to be condemned about it? When aid money is sent, there are protestations of "They should be taught how to help themselves" and that is what she was doing. Damned do, damned don't.

So, when are you leaving??

Degsy wrote: »
    She's a publicity seeker through and through..just like all the PC do-gooders who go to interfere in other countries.
    Why is she a publicity seeker? Some people genuinely want to do this kind of humanitarian work - why does everything like this have to be reduced to "PC do-gooder"?
    fedor.2. wrote: »
    So, when are you leaving??
    So, defending her means I should put my money where my mouth is and follow suit? Interesting logic.

Why is she a publicity seeker? Some people genuinely want to do this kind of humanitarian work - why does everything like this have to be reduced to "PC do-gooder"?

So, defending her means I should put my money where my mouth is and follow suit? Interesting logic.

Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Holybejaysus

To be honest, the only trained professionals who should be operating out in Darfur/Sudan are the ones who have a Steyr rifle strapped across their chest.

You can help out, sure, just make sure you have a big effing rifle to fall back on when the SHTF- and it almost certainly will. They play by big boys rules out there.

The graveyards are full of well meaning but hopelessly naive do-gooders.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Because she was in a place that she'd no business being in and she got kidnapped when she shouldnt have and now she's bitching and gassing about it

Okay, that's a giant sack of ****. 85 Irish soldiers have died acting as "do-gooders" who went out to "interfere in other countries" because it was bloody well worth doing. How miserably disrespectful to their memory and everyone else who saw horrors being perpetrated and did something about it. How ill-minded to suggest that we should let such things occur. That sickens me.

I fully agree Holybejaysus. I hate that expression "do-gooder" though - it implies there's a condescending and/or left-wing agenda behind something like this, which is essentially just trying to help improve the lives of people in horrendous circumstances, however naive and overly idealistic. Members of religious orders have always done missionary work, doctors also do. It's nothing new.

O. How ill-minded to suggest that we should let such things occur. That sickens me.

Hows she gonna make a difference exactly by getting her sorry arse kidnapped?

And yes,what occurs in tribal warzones is non of our business..leave them to it.

Strange logic again - it's not like she would have gone out there planning to get kidnapped. It's a risk, but not that commonplace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

And yes,what occurs in tribal warzones is non of our business..leave them to it.

It takes both elements, armed security and civilian aid organisations, to properly solve any problem. Either one on its own is not effective. Do you honestly believe we should allow genocides like Rwanda or Darfur to just occur without making some sort of contribution to halt the slaughter or alleviate the suffering (Note the two distinct elements of providing effective aid)? If so, that's just not something I can comprehend.

Strange logic again - it's not like she would have gone out there planning to get kidnapped. It's a risk, but not that commonplace.

http://humanrights.change.org/blog/view/kidnapping_in_darfur_-_for_a_few_dollars_more

• Registered Users Posts: 26,967 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It was intriguing stuff and for a rare change, it was refreshing not to see a FF politician gloating in self praise. What opened my mind was this John O'Shea's agenda. I always found him quite gruff and a bit thuggish, indeed questions have been raised previously about his Salary. What amazes me is that such a media darling could have made such a PR disaster out of this unfortunate experience. It was quite telling towards the end of the documentary that Sharon has no lost love for O Shea and Goal and no doubt this program will certainly not help Goals coffers next year.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

The graveyards are full of well meaning but hopelessly naive do-gooders.

And the graveyards of Darfur and Ethiopia and the Congo would be even more full with the bodies of dead children and adults were it not for the remarkable work these hopelessly naive do-gooders do. Guess that doesn't count though when a cynical cheap shop is to be had.

Einhard wrote: »
    And the graveyards of Darfur and Ethiopia and the Congo would be even more full with the bodies of dead children and adults were it not for the remarkable work these hopelessly naive do-gooders do. Guess that doesn't count though when a cynical cheap shop is to be had.

Indeed

Oh really? If you give me one, just one teeny example of when a civilian has ever prevented the janjaweed militia from slaughtering anybody in Darfur, I will humbly kiss you backside.

As I say, Big boys rules out there-no place for civvies.

Oh really? If you give me one, just one teeny example of when a civilian has ever prevented the janjaweed militia from slaughtering anybody in Darfur, I will humbly kiss you backside.

As I say, Big boys rules out there-no place for civvies.

Do you really think that the only thing that is done in Darfur or Chad for the populations there is to stop them getting shot? Who do you think provides health care for the refugees flooding out of the region? The Irish army?! Try Medecin Sans Frontiers. Typical naive do-gooders eh. Them and their saving lives. Bah!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭figarofigaro

Being killed by janjaweed militia is not the only way to die out there.

Being killed by janjaweed militia is not the only way to die out there.

Yeah,going to work for an aid agency seems to be a good one.

• Advertisement

Yeah,going to work for an aid agency seems to be a good one.

Well I s'pose some people happen to be to the left of Genghis Khan, and are willing to risk their own lives to save those of strangers. I salute them for it; you obviously scorn them for it.

Do you really think that the only thing that is done in Darfur or Chad for the populations there is to stop them getting shot? Who do you think provides health care for the refugees flooding out of the region? The Irish army?! Try Medecin Sans Frontiers. Typical naive do-gooders eh. Them and their saving lives. Bah!

A. Yes, the Irish Army do provide a lot of the health care out there. The fact that they are armed prevents the militias from attacking them, so they get the job done effectively. Obviously they can't take care of everyone, but they provide security at the clinics too. Not to mention the wells, bridges, and other infrastructure that the Army engineers provide.

B. If you watched the show, you will know that MSF were targeted for kidnapping in Darfur. Most of the aid agencies pulled out because they realised it was too dangerous. I'm all for calculated risk taking and helping out with aid agencies in the developing world, but to plonk yourself into the middle of a war zone qualifies you as well meaning but naive in my view.

You aren't going to help anyone if you are kidnapped or dead. Not to mention potentially putting soldiers lives at risk to rescue you from a place you shouldn't be in the first place. There are plenty of sick and starving people in non-war zones that need to be helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,490 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Havent seen the programme, but watched the trailers and am familiar with the stories.
    This doesnt paint Goal in a very good light, and as much as I hate to know the charity itself, as it to organises some very good work, the charity has a responsibility to its volunteers as well.

Theres plenty keyboard warriors on here knocking what some people working in these areas give up and do for other humans. Pity really, theres no need for it that kind of an attitude.
    Some day you might need the help of a volunteer or you may find yourself in hard times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

..no, I'd say they're trying to help people.

"publicity seeker"....get a lot of them on AH. Showing up, yammering on about "PC do-gooders" and the like...sad really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

It said at the start of the clip that GOAL provided clinics that treat up to 150,000 people per year in the area. How the fk is that a bad thing. It's not enough for some people to sit back and watch stories unfold on the news and then press over to another channel, nor is it enough for them to fling a few bob to the crusty accosting them on the street. Some people want to proper work, want to get their hands dirty and and see where all this money is actually going to, at the risk to themselves.
    It was clear there were little or no steps taken to ensure her safety, even when she requested it. How she is described as being naiive, I don't know. She was fully aware of the dangers in the area and was probably assured by her employers beforehand that they had her back. The dangers escalated while she was there, yet it seems not much was done about it at the time. What publicity stunt is she pulling by highlighting the issues she faced abroad with a high profile, highly profitable agency?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

All on nice little wedges those top brass in Goal.

Commins is trying to drum up some publicity for a book or something.

I happen to know how the 'system ' works.

No harm in putting O'Shea in the spotlight though, sick of the man hectoring me over the radio.

Too many 'do gooders' in that area for my taste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I happen to know how the 'system ' works.

If that were to refer to matters of domestic sewage or the human bowel, I'd say 'yes'. Outside of those narrow parameters, no.

Nodin wrote: »
    If that were to refer to matters of domestic sewage or the human bowel, I'd say 'yes'. Outside of those narrow parameters, no.

Ouch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Amber Lamps

Nodin wrote: »
    ..no, I'd say they're trying to help people.

"publicity seeker"....get a lot of them on AH. Showing up, yammering on about "PC do-gooders" and the like...sad really.

Damn I was hoping you were going to take the other side. i wanted to argue with you for days :(

• Advertisement

Commins is trying to drum up some publicity for a book or something.
    The "or something" would indicate you don't know what you're talking about - stick with talking about sh1t instead of merely talking sh1t.

Perfectly worthy topic for a documentary, but it's kinda left-wing so therefore those who get an erection out of sticking rigidly to the right at all times come out of the woodwork to find fault with it.

Advertisement