Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discussion on Saorview Compatible TVs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭surf board

redt0m wrote: »
    Samsung LE46A656 - getting 'HD Not Supported' message, but can hear sound - so, no good.

Can someone confirm if the above message definitely means my TV doesn't support MPEG4 before I go off to Samsung asking them if a firmware upgrade will enable it?

Thanks - great resource you have here.

Firmware upgrade wont work. Its an Mpeg2 set. The LExxBxxx & LExxCxxxx sets will work for Saorview (with country set to uk for mheg-5).

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭redt0m

surf board wrote: »
    Firmware upgrade wont work. Its an Mpeg2 set. The LExxBxxx & LExxCxxxx sets will work for Saorview (with country set to uk for mheg-5).

Grand, thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

opus wrote: »
    Interesting! I recently got a Philips 32PFL7605H & it wouldn't find the Saorview channels if I had the country set to Ireland! Setting it to the UK did the trick so I must check out the EPG to see if it's the same deal.

Must send an email to Philips support to ask why this is needed as well.

I Wouldn't bother...had two support cases open with Philips,for both my tellys (32PFL5604H & 32PFL5405H). I submitted various links to the minimum system requirements Teracom specifications etc and had several phone conversations with their staff who I will have to say were very knowledgable but the final outcome was they have no plans to certify current models. (Even though all it would take presumably is a software rewrite, as they have done before for several other European networks)

I presume the 2011 and onwards models will be fully compatibable when set to Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BuzzG

Hi All,
    Could someone who has an LG 26LD350 confirm if it can receive the RTÉ Digital Radio stations which are on DTT.

Thanks Buzz

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    Interesting. Should this happen with Ireland picked as country? Thought it might happen when UK was selected.
    Rescan the TV or do a default or factory reset, I found sometime on my Freeview box for UK channels went to 800, this is when the channles was being change.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mrleehealy

hanspree sj28 dmbb digital text not working

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

I've a Walker from a few years ago, bought around 2007/2008. There's a "TV/DTV" button on the remote... would it support Saorview?

No idea of the model number as there's nothing on the front or sides and it's wall mounted so I can't see the back of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭doney84

Hi all, sorry for hijacking this thread but iam looking for a tv that will receive the Saorview service but also be able to do Freeview HD. Iam living in North Louth and should be able to pick up Freeview HD when it starts from Northern Ireland in 2012. Anybody got any suggestions ???

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've a Walker from a few years ago, bought around 2007/2008. There's a "TV/DTV" button on the remote... would it support Saorview?

No idea of the model number as there's nothing on the front or sides and it's wall mounted so I can't see the back of it...

Unlikely, MPEG4 was barely seen in 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

doney84 wrote: »
    Hi all, sorry for hijacking this thread but iam looking for a tv that will receive the Saorview service but also be able to do Freeview HD. Iam living in North Louth and should be able to pick up Freeview HD when it starts from Northern Ireland in 2012. Anybody got any suggestions ???

I don't have specific suggestions, but if a TV is MPEG-4 with DVB- T then it will work with Saorview, Freeview, but not Freeview HD. If it is MPEG-4 with DVB-T2 then it should work with all three.

But make sure you read the whole thread as there are some TVs which may behave strangely if recording channels which are different from the country selected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dg647

http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/3/32pfl5404h_12/32pfl5404h_12_pss_eng.pdf

Could anyone tell me if the specs on the tv above are ok to receive saorview?

dg647 wrote: »

The entire Philips range are now under question as in recent times they are not picking up the radio channels, see here:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056123899

Says its DVB-T with Mpeg 4 so should work with Saorview. I couldn't find any info to see if it had mheg 5 which does digital teletext and interactive services ...

Says its DVB-T with Mpeg 4 so should work with Saorview. I couldn't find any info to see if it had mheg 5 which does digital teletext and interactive services ...

Yes it is MPEG 4 and it can do MHEG5 When set to UK but at present (last 10 days or so) It Cannot pick up the Saorview Radio Stations when set to UK.

It will pick all 17 channels up in Ireland mode but no names or order on channels and no digital text.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,694 ✭✭✭CR 7

Anyone able to clarify if this set is fully compatible:
    Spec Sheet

It's a Philips 37PFL5405H.

Think this is the relevant paragraph:
    Philips wrote:
    Tuner/Reception/Transmission
    • Aerial Input: 75 ohm coaxial (IEC75)
    • TV system: PAL I, PAL B/G, PAL D/K, SECAM B/G,
    SECAM D/K, SECAM L/L', DVB COFDM 2K/8K
    • Video Playback: NTSC, SECAM, PAL
    • Digital TV: DVB Terrestrial*, DVB-T MPEG2*, DVBT MPEG4*, DVB-C MPEG4*
    • Tuner bands: Hyperband, S-Channel, UHF, VHF

Once it's able to display the TV channels and MHEG5 I'd be happy, won't really need the radio stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Anyone able to clarify if this set is fully compatible:
    Spec Sheet

It's a Philips 37PFL5405H.

Think this is the relevant paragraph:

Once it's able to display the TV channels and MHEG5 I'd be happy, won't really need the radio stations.

IMO you'd be mad to buy a Panasonic or a Philips until they address the issues Irish customers have. While the Philips sets may currently work with Saorview TV channels up until last week they also worked with the radio too. What is to stop another small change in the broadcast flags from suddenly stopping the availability of TV of them. The Irish specs have been published since 2008 and yet it does appear Philips have not made their sets compliant.

If I was buying a new TV today and intended to use it for Saorview I'd go for a Samsung or a Walker, but that's just me. If I could I'd hold off until next year until after the full launch of Saorview, thing should be alot clearer then and the range of TV available should be bigger.

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    IMO you'd be mad to buy a Panasonic or a Philips until they address the issues Irish customers have. While the Philips sets may currently work with Saorview TV channels up until last week they also worked with the radio too. What is to stop another small change in the broadcast flags from suddenly stopping the availability of TV of them. The Irish specs have been published since 2008 and yet it does appear Philips have not made their sets compliant.

If I was buying a new TV today and intended to use it for Saorview I'd go for a Samsung or a Walker, but that's just me. If I could I'd hold off until next year until after the full launch of Saorview, thing should be alot clearer then and the range of TV available should be bigger.

Is it a case of it only being software that needs to be changed to make it fully compatible again?

Another quick question I haven't been able to understand fully yet, will every HD TV that supports MPEG4 properly pick up all the RTE HD channels when they are released? Like is this Sony as compatible as it gets? From page 1 it says it's MPEG4/MHEG5 OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Willby

Hi Doney,
    I recently purchased the Samsung LE46C652l2K Freeview HD TV from Curry's and it receives all the RTE digital including Rte2HD. It also receives the RTe digital text (MHEG5) perfectly. Since it's Freeview HD will also receive all UK digital channels. very pleased with this tv, colour etc.
    Willby

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dg647

I set the Country to UK and I am picking up the TV channels but I can't get the radio channels. The MHEG5 works fine too, thanks for the comments. Just to clarify it's a Philips 32PFL5404H/12

Willby wrote: »
    Hi Doney,
    I recently purchased the Samsung LE46C652l2K Freeview HD TV from Curry's and it receives all the RTE digital including Rte2HD. It also receives the RTe digital text (MHEG5) perfectly. Since it's Freeview HD will also receive all UK digital channels. very pleased with this tv, colour etc.
    Willby

Thanks for the feedback Willby, i'll check out that tv :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Galway

Can anyone confirm if the Sony KDL 40EX503 can get the MHEG 5 digital teletext? I have just bought this set and only seem to get the old Aertel?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Try country = UK. It is a 2010 model and should have it, but will definitely have it for UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Galway

Try country = UK. It is a 2010 model and should have it, but will definitely have it for UK.

Where in the menus can I access the 'country' option?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Go to intitial install. Reset factory defaults. or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭stevenfinnegan

Does the AOC L32WB81 work with the Saorview.
    i.e. Will it work with Saorview as soon as I plug the TV into the antenna cable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Does the AOC L32WB81 work with the Saorview.
    i.e. Will it work with Saorview as soon as I plug the TV into the antenna cable?

Assuming you can get a signal that TV should work with Saorview. Currently if you get TV3/TG4 on analogue you should get Saorview without any issues. The TV is TNT-HD (French DTT) certified so it has a mpeg4 HD tuner, it also has UK Freeview certification so the MHEG5 digital text and EPG may work too.

I'd suggest you set the TV with UK selected as your country and do a scan for your channels. Hopefully selecting UK will enable the MHEG5 middle-ware and doesn't cripple MPEG4 like some Panasonic TV's.

You could also try setting the TV up for Ireland and see if the MPEH5 EPG and digital text works.

Please report your results back here.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭finno

Sony 40BX400
    MHEG5 - OK
    3e and RTE2 HD - OK

Park Ji Sung

How did you get yours to work? I only get RTE1 the rest comes up scrambled can't decode. I have UPC cable plugged in.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Y.N.W.A

finno wrote: »
    Park Ji Sung

How did you get yours to work? I only get RTE1 the rest comes up scrambled can't decode. I have UPC cable plugged in.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Take out UPC, that does not have Saorview on it. Put a UHF aerial in and you should be sorted. If you do not have an aerial, use a 10 inch piece of wire on an extender aerial cable and if you are in a strong signal area you should get something. Better with an appropriate aerial though.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭finno

Hi Sam

Tried it with a make up aerial and got all the irish stations working.
    Should i be getting BBC,UTV etc too?

Thanks for you help

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Y.N.W.A

• Advertisement

finno wrote: »
    Hi Sam

Tried it with a make up aerial and got all the irish stations working.
    Should i be getting BBC,UTV etc too?

Thanks for you help

No, it's just the 7 Irish channels. RTE 2 is there twice, in SD and HD, the SD one is switching off in April. The UK channels are FreeView, can't get it here, unless you're near the border, I believe.

Advertisement