Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DarkBlonde

I've been following these threads for days. I feel so disappointed now. Fingers crossed it will change again (for the better).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

It seems to me that every single GFS run is throwing out different outcomes. Every day for the past few days there have been downgrades and then upgrades and then downgrades again. This is a waiting game I think.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Wheres M.T when we need him :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,249 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

No! You are probably in a decent location if this decides to head further south ;)

I would say this run will be the extreme case but a signal for a further south wobble ;)

Oh my god shows how much i know;) Thanks Weathercheck! But we shall see - forecasting is PAINFUL!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Gotta love this rollercoster :pac:
    Not good for the heart though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

It's pissing out of the heavens in Dublin right now. Winds approaching are NW yeah? And the cold front should reach the east coast around midday? If it does happen it will take a lot of snow for any amount to stick - the ground is thoroughly soaked here now.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Should I hold off on buying me sledge :confused::p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

the score is
    met eireann 1-0 the boards
    but there's a long way to go yet

Don't ever go for a job as a sports journalist, I like to hear the actual results, not fictional accounts of what isn't happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Remember.. the cold front passed here a couple of hours ago and its still raining... not even sleet yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Wheres M.T when we need him :(

Apparently the lazy so and so sleeps occasionally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

leahyl wrote: »
    Sorry very broad question but .....AAAAAAGHHHHHH it's driving me mad!!

You know for us to get ANY snow, the rest of the country must be under several FEET of the stuff.

We are the last to get and the first to lose. So it looks like it's all over, just miserable weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,249 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

irish1967 wrote: »
    Remember.. the cold front passed here a couple of hours ago and its still raining... not even sleet yet

I thought it was meant to be rain in the north at first though and then change to sleet/snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭Speak Now

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    It's pissing out of the heavens in Dublin right now. Winds approaching are NW yeah? And the cold front should reach the east coast around midday? If it does happen it will take a lot of snow for any amount to stick - the ground is thoroughly soaked here now.:mad:

Dry or wet ground wont determine snow sticking or not, it's temperature.

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    uhm...have you read mt's forecast? at the back edge of that rain the cold will dig in turning it to sleet but crucially when it passes freezing it on the ground.
    Then you have a dryer period in Dublin before winds shift NE and bring in streamers onto this frozen ground.
    The NE element is uncertain mind you as is everything precip wize.
    The only fairly certain thing is the depth of the cold.

Why do people just not read and learn instead of posting any old thing that comes into their head??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

6z NAE follows the southerly trend although Munster still picks up 5-10cm of snow.

Meanwhile the Leinster region has very very little precip in the next 48 hours.

irish1967 wrote: »
    Oh for heavens sake,thats the trough that passed over you not the front.
    You are here long enough to know these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DarkBlonde

Very windy here in Limerick since early this morning. 9 degrees and raining at the moment. I am hoping and praying for some snow. Oh please let it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

supposed to be collecting my wedding dress in Kilcoole in Wicklow on saturday, travelling from Dublin. Should I cancel it??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

uhm...have you read mt's forecast? at the back edge of that rain the cold will dig in turning it to sleet but crucially when it passes freezing it on the ground.
    Then you have a dryer period in Dublin before winds shift NE and bring in streamers onto this frozen ground.
    The NE element is uncertain mind you as is everything precip wize.
    The only fairly certain thing is the depth of the cold.

Why do people just not read and learn instead of posting any old thing that comes into their head??

Exactly this was all forecasted by MT.

6z NAE follows the southerly trend although Munster still picks up 5-10cm of snow.

On the NAE? that is a concern.
    The uncertainty is huge isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

NAE is only out to 33 for me here : http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=nae&MODELLTYP=1&VAR=pslv&HH=0&BASE=-&WMO=&ZOOM=0

Where do you see it out to 48 hours?

supposed to be collecting my wedding dress in Kilcoole in Wicklow on saturday, travelling from Dublin. Should I cancel it??
    Nope.
    See what happens saturday,ring ahead and if it's ok go collect.
    Theres no detail possible.
    Mt is brave putting some detail...meanwhile ME are being wise scaredy cats!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭dacogawa

This is what M.T. said, not much at all till Saturday, is that right ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Because we are sitting here for the last three days with no sleep, no heat and no more coffee, eagerly awaiting the next update and we simply forget what happened five minutes ago, let alone a Met Eireann broadcast.

On the NAE? that is a concern.
    The uncertainty is huge isn't it?

Massive i honestly don't think an accurate forecast is possible other than nowcasting, probably tomorrow mornings 0z runs might give a decent stab at things.

The trend is southwards and less intense though and we are getting into the very short range.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

weathercheck is bursting our bubble :(

The precipitation accumulation always gets put out first ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mojopolo

temperatures have dropped 2 degrees in the last 20 minutes - now sitting at 2 degrees in belfast - just like MT said
    (I still believe)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

mojopolo wrote: »
    temperatures have dropped 2 degrees in the last 20 minutes - now sitting at 2 degrees in belfast - just like MT said
    (I still believe)
    Yes - very sudden temperature drop here in the last 30 mins - although it's still too high for snow at 4.6C - that should change soon!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭moogester

Temp now down to 3.8 in Dungannon
    Dewpoint 0.8

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement