Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

zerks wrote: »
    The rules are that the snow in Cork will melt after 10 minutes.:D

Is there any 'thumbs down' for this post?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

leahyl wrote: »
    :D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ83zYMbmksA94fcai4JysBEE43Nfj_F_fx3Z77QjkmpnSRHwHG

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

its looking promising leahyl! doubt we will get much until friday night to saturday but its at least possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

UK Met office radar at midnight on Friday in to the early hours of Saturday is monsterous but not much for 48 hours after that:

Midnight Friday
    uk_radar_20101216_048.gif

Noon Saturday
    uk_radar_20101216_060.gif

Midnight Saturday
    uk_radar_20101216_072.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

its looking promising leahyl! doubt we will get much until friday night to saturday but its at least possible!

Anyone know any good songs while we're waiting?? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

A lovely morning here !!

526dfcb3.jpg

I will take a pic from the same spot each hour so we can see the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

Is this period like 'the calm before the storm' :D i'm expecting blizzard and artic conditions the way everyone is going on :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Lol that chap from the dept of geography in nui Galway just finished on radio one knows nothing of weather..he says this is ending on wenesday and we are in a 3 yr cycle and back to global warming next winter :rolleyes:

Are they going out of their way to make us calm?

Some people are in for a bit of a shock/pleasant surprise depending on your point of view...
    I was in tesco in arklow this morning and heard 2 people saying .."ah shur thats only in the north and west.."

Initially yes but they are typical of the national mis information coming out of the airwaves at the moment.

I heard that, couldn't believe his analysis of the weather or climate, he mentioned sunspot actvity had not recovered to levels that scientists predicted they would be but it would all be ok in the end was his view, mustn't have studied the mini ice age and Maunder minimum and as for global warming - more wishy washy stuff, I wonder how he would explain the 400 year period give or take a number of years that was the medieval warm period.

I have to say I am quite concerned about the upcoming weather and RTE with their analysts are not helping the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Anyone know any good songs while we're waiting?? :)

Dean Martin.......Let it snow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.goldenplec.com/2010/12/03/goldenplecs-top-songs-snow/

Min wrote: »
    I heard that, couldn't believe his analysis of the weather or climate, he mentioned sunspot actvity had not recovered to levels that scientists predicted they would be but it would all be ok in the end was his view, mustn't have studied the mini ice age and Maunder minimum and as for global warming - more wishy washy stuff, I wonder how he would explain the 400 year period give or take a number of years that was the medieval warm period.

I have to say I am quite concerned about the upcoming weather and RTE with their analysts are not helping the matter.
    As Mt said in his forecast,theres very little cross model agreement(mainly due to the unusual type of blocking we have to the atlantic weather) and theres changes on every run so a forecasters job is not easy.
    Why ME don't use risk percentages and phrases like maybe but we are not sure,we'll keep you updated etc is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

:eek::eek::eek::eek:http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

dave1982 wrote: »

and the amazement is due to...?!

The lack of precip over Ireland compared to GB...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

+1 munsterlegend

yep it rained pretty hard last night whats your point ?

Is that not snow over England?

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭largepants

Does that mean its going to miss us altogether now? I get the feeling things are too quiet here.

funny-pictures-your-cat-spent-the-night-outside.jpg
    funny-pictures-cat-with-invisible-snow-shovel.jpg
    funny-pictures-cats-unanimously-stay-inside-from-snow.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Lol that chap from the dept of geography in nui Galway just finished on radio one knows nothing of weather..he says this is ending on wenesday and we are in a 3 yr cycle and back to global warming next winter :rolleyes:

Are they going out of their way to make us calm?

Some people are in for a bit of a shock/pleasant surprise depending on your point of view...
    I was in tesco in arklow this morning and heard 2 people saying .."ah shur thats only in the north and west.."

Initially yes but they are typical of the national mis information coming out of the airwaves at the moment.
    I heard yer man too, I thought he was totally out of order telling everyone that it will all be over by mid week. Everything is still very uncertain at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

But that band of precipitation over mainland UK is rain/sleet, yes?

It's only later on when this passes through that we start getting the cold stuff from the NW.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

largepants wrote: »
    Does that mean its going to miss us altogether now? I get the feeling things are too quiet here.

Yes me too - i feel like there's gonna be a big downgrade and the experts are afraid to face our wrath!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Knock yourself out :D

139651.gif

MayoForSam wrote: »
    But that band of precipitation over mainland UK is rain/sleet, yes?

It's only later on when this passes through that we start getting the cold stuff from the NW.

Thanks for that thought it was snow,just checked Dublin live cams looks like rain there as well.

http://www.nci.ie/ispy/cam1.yp

I know its only an iphone app.. but the temp here according to my phone has dropped from 6.3 to 2.9 in less than an hour !!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

Radar1-1.png

Is that not snow over England?
    its snow now as far south as newcastle and north yorkshire.
    South of that it is rain

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭largepants

Yes me too - i feel like there's gonna be a big downgrade and the experts are afraid to face our wrath!:D

You gonna turn green?I got that empty felling in my stomach when I saw that raintoday website. Thank jeez for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭moogester

Temp rose to a high of 8.1 here last night.

Now down to 4.8 & dropping 0.9/hour -- dew point 0.6, wubd chill 1.1

So far so good......bring it on!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Light rain in Dublin at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

6z GFS has virtually done away with the low over Ireland and has thrown the feature very underdeveloped, well to our south.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The thing has gone so far south that it is heading into France.

We won't be the only ones on edge with this, our England friends will be equally shocked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement