Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Freeze bites back -6th December onwards (All discussion here please)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Looks increasingly likely the slightly milder spell will be very temporary indeed as a very cold continental flow returns as pressure builds to the North

UW144-21.GIF?07-18

Still 6 days out so not completely certain but a rerun can't be ruled out!

Could be what we are in store for next week.

nogaps-0-162.png?07-17

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

Mmcd wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Snowman10

JUST **** OFF SNOW!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭filo87

Light snow shower out by Blarney, Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

filo87 wrote: »
    Light snow shower out by Blarney, Cork.

Is it the 1st shower today?

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

M2 buoy DP down to -2.0....Wind direction NE...Streamers anyone?

I'll take a streamer right now over any Western Front (IOM permitting)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭filo87

dave1982 wrote: »
    Is it the 1st shower today?

It's the first shower. It's light but persistant and sticking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Snowman10 wrote: »
    JUST **** OFF SNOW!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Some SNOWMAN you are! :mad:
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

darkman2 wrote: »
    Looks increasingly likely the slightly milder spell will be very temporary indeed as a very cold continental flow returns as pressure builds to the North

UW144-21.GIF?07-18

Still 6 days out so not completely certain but a rerun can't be ruled out!

Could be what we are in store for next week.

nogaps-0-162.png?07-17

Hopefully that high wont land itself slap bang over us and be to stubbron to move north west over towards greenland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

raining here now, good bit of a thaw but the temp as dropped 2 degrees in the last 2 hours so tonight could be fun if it freezes again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

feck it, i missed what ever shower came earlier :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    feck it, i missed what ever shower came earlier :confused:

You have snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭_whiskers

Could anyone who watched the rte weather be kind enough to post what was said ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

dave1982 wrote: »
    You have snow?

i have no idea, some one mentioned blarney and they got snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

_whiskers wrote: »
    Could anyone who watched the rte weather be kind enough to post what was said ? :)

she said we're nearly at the end of the snow and that it will get warmer towards the weekend. It'll just be really cold and frosty.

Now, the only thing is, thats coming from RTE :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

_whiskers wrote: »

-4 to -9 tonight, 0 to 3 tomorrow. No more snow really to come. Thursday warmer with a thaw, 3 to 5, more frost thursday night friday up to 7 or 8 degrees, more thaw. No rain or snow to come except northern areas tonight might have sleet and hail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

irish1967 wrote: »
    Heaviest snow of the cold spell so far being reported in Letterkenny & Ballybofey withing the last hour. All clear here in Donegal Town (:rolleyes:.....so far)
    really?
    It would take a lot to beat the foot of snow in the gap last week though. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

ECM from Sunday on (120hrs) is extraordinary for people who like the current sort of weather

ECM1-120.GIF?07-0

Very cold at night - frost and ice - not too cold be day, 5 or 6C.

Monday 144hrs

ECM1-144.GIF?07-0

Slack Easterly established again. Getting increasingly cold with wintry showers into the East

Tuesday 168hrs

ECM1-168.GIF?07-0

More hail/sleet showers in the East turning to snow. Temperatures struggling 2 - 4C. Dry in most places though but very frosty and icy inland.

Wednesday 192hrs

ECM1-192.GIF?07-0

Heavier snow showers in the east and north and further inland - temperatures not getting above freezing by day in many places like recently. Again ice and frost an issue. Not too windy though so windchill not too bad.

After that it goes a bit mad in terms of cold for later next week - may aswell post but won't bother commenting

216hrs

ECM1-216.GIF?07-0

240hrs

ECM1-240.GIF?07-0

It's just a possibility at this stage. Not certain by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭_whiskers

she said we're nearly at the end of the snow and that it will get warmer towards the weekend. It'll just be really cold and frosty.

Now, the only thing is, thats coming from RTE :p
    -4 to -9 tonight, 0 to 3 tomorrow. No more snow really to come. Thursday warmer with a thaw, 3 to 5, more frost thursday night friday up to 7 or 8 degrees, more thaw. No rain or snow to come except northern areas tonight might have sleet and hail.

Thanks guys :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

darkman2 wrote: »
    ECM from Sunday on (120hrs) is extraordinary for people who like the current sort of weather

ECM1-120.GIF?07-0

Very cold at night - frost and ice - not too cold be day, 5 or 6C.

Monday 144hrs

ECM1-144.GIF?07-0

Slack Easterly established again. Getting increasingly cold with wintry showers into the East

Tuesday 168hrs

ECM1-168.GIF?07-0

More hail/sleet showers in the East turning to snow. Temperatures struggling 2 - 4C. Dry in most places though but very frosty and icy inland.

Wednesday 192hrs

ECM1-192.GIF?07-0

Heavier snow showers in the east and north and further inland - temperatures not getting above freezing by day in many places like recently. Again ice and frost an issue. Not too windy though so windchill not too bad.

After that it goes a bit mad in terms of cold for later next week - may aswell post but won't bother commenting

216hrs

ECM1-216.GIF?07-0

240hrs

ECM1-240.GIF?07-0

It's just a possibility at this stage. Not certain by any means.
    Hi darkman, any chance of a quick explanation of those last two charts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Looking likely that the milder weather will only last a few days then, looks quite similar to last week after that

As for the present, theres some really nice looking showers on the way here soon, if the next one hits us right it could give sustained heavy snow for well over an hour. This could be a great night if the showers become more regular as they seem to be at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Darkman has comments underneat each chart have a look at them again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

yes, I can see that, but the last two are left as a bit of a mystery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Snowing in Letterkenny :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

No, You look at them again :D
    Hi darkman, any chance of a quick explanation of those last two charts

Despite this cold period not even surpassing 1987 in terms of snow depths in Bray, I think its safe to say it has surpassed 1982 for most in Leinster.
    With a reboot/reload seeming increasingly likely after the imminent partial thaw, do or can the experts say whether they think this Winter could rival the most famous Winters of all, ie. 1947 and 1963??

As for streamers tonight. If they do form and Bray ends up in a gap or in the IOM shadow again, I swear to God I am going to go postal. I'm a spoilt child like in that I don't mind not getting it as long as 5 minutes up or down the road doesn't get it either. However when Greystones on the other side of Bray head or carrickmines say 3 minutes up the m50 gets snow measured in feet and Bray only gets accumulations of 3-4 inches with no significant snow since Sunday November 29th(yes, you heard that right)...well It tests my patience to the absolute limit.

To conclude....I think its fair to say that I...Calibos, am this years OwenC :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Its all White from Carrick to Glencolmcille I heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

fizzycyst wrote: »
    Hi darkman, any chance of a quick explanation of those last two charts?

I would interpret the last one (17 December) as glaciers generally advancing from all mountainous areas into the surrounding lowlands, sea levels dropping hundreds of feet and a re-emergence of the landbridge between Ireland, Britain and continental Europe............

It does look rather bracing over Scandinavia though doesn't it!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bobby14

whereabouts in letterkenny? none where i am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Last two charts = o jebus save me from the ice age
    They wont verify like that, but is incredible viewing.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement