Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Freeze bites back -6th December onwards (All discussion here please)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    my hopes go up

my hopes come down :(

Stopped for a little while down here but it has just started again, so you'd never know ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Drummer Mummer

Had a big thaw here with temps up to +4c, right now dropping back to +2c and still thawing. Roads extremely wet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Snowing moderately here in south kk for the last few mins. Temp 0.9, down from 1.9 earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Snowing moderately here in south kk for the last few mins. Temp 0.9, down from 1.9 earlier.

Turned to sleet now, nothing sticking.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭laois gael

Snowing lightly in Portlaoise but between last nights bit around 9 o clockk and todays spits we have had about 4/5 inches again.Seems as if we always get little bits often but have yet to be hit for the heavy falls.

No harm roads are filty with slush and snow now and it will freeze here tonight we always get low temps...The joys of been a midlander!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Where abouts in Arklow are you?! It has done nothing but rain since before lunch where I am!

Temperature dropping a lot in Dublin 15... this snow is so thick it will take a few days to melt

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭John mac

Snowing here!!!

MAyo
    <<<<

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Off the phone to the mother,Snowing still there anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

dave1982 wrote: »
    Off the phone to the mother,Snowing still there anyway

and the mother is where?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

and the mother is where?

Must...resist...making...inappropriate...joke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

it hasnt stopped snowing here in south tipp since about 10am ...
    although it is light most of the time.. but not heavy enough to pile up to big amounts.. about 2cm since this mornin all the same ..

lookin at rain today we should get a nice shot for a while soon..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭naughto

John mac wrote: »
    Snowing here!!!

MAyo
    <<<<

where in mayo john mac iam in castlebar and its sleet/rain more than snow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

channaigh wrote: »
    where abouts are you i'm near freshford nothing here yet

6 miles slightly north east of Kilkenny, in the hills near Ballyfoyle, I can see Freshford from where I live. You can probably see the snow here when there is none lower down.
    i have to laugh reading your posts, not out of disrespect to you, but it seems the more you voice your opposition to snow the more you seem to get:pac:

You are terribly disrespectful, you are a troll, adding you to my ignore list :p but seriously it is funny in a way, I am just so done with the whole snow thing, had snow for most of last winter, the first snow free month this year was in May.
    Just use to getting snow, it doesn't excite me anymore.

Currently very heavy snow with large flakes and it is building up rather fast.
    You can laugh :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

and the mother is where?

Kanturk sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Very heavy here now again, big fluffy flakes. What are the chance of mountains say 300m and above keeping most of their snow till the cold returns next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

Snowin steady in new Ross, after a day of cloud cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭Speak Now

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Very heavy here now again, big fluffy flakes. What are the chance of mountains say 300m and above keeping most of their snow till the cold returns next week

Every chance

• Registered Users Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

On this question of snow melt during the milder spell, I would estimate that only places with 10 cms (4 in) or less will see a complete thaw. Areas that have 10-20 cms will retain some snow and areas with 20-30 cms will only see a settling to 10-20 during the spell. Part of the reason for this would be that the snow will tend to anchor cold air at the surface and this will become foggy during the daytimes when surrounding areas warm up to 7 C or thereabouts, holding temperatures down to 3-4 C over the snow.

It should, however, be mild enough to remove a lot of snow from urban areas which can absorb more of the available heat, so the mild spell will probably get rid of a lot of the ice on roads and pavements probably faster than it melts snow in some parts.

Anyway, going back to the radar to see if there's any streamer potential, will update forecast around 1630h.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

TURRICAN wrote: »
    Snowin steady in new Ross, after a day of cloud cover.
    rain in wex town......

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

Min wrote: »
    6 miles slightly north east of Kilkenny, in the hills near Ballyfoyle, I can see Freshford from where I live. You can probably see the snow here when there is none lower down.

You are terribly disrespectful, you are a troll, adding you to my ignore list :p but seriously it is funny in a way, I am just so done with the whole snow thing, had snow for most of last winter, the first snow free month this year was in May.
    Just use to getting snow, it doesn't excite me anymore.

Currently very heavy snow with large flakes and it is building up rather fast.
    You can laugh :pac:

well it has stopped here but since it is with you again it will probable be back in a few mintues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Ireland:
    Co Antrim
    Co Derry
    Co Tyrone
    Widespread Icy Roads & Heavy Snow 1800 Tue 7 1100 Wed 8

Scattered snow showers can be expected during Tuesday evening, overnight and into Wednesday morning. Accumulations of 2 to 5cm expected within the period, perhaps 10cm over more hilly areas. Widespread ice will affect untreated surfaces.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to TrafficWatchNI.com (operational hours 07.00 to 21.00 Mon to Fri and 09:00 to17:00 on Saturdays) for further advice on road conditions.

Issued at: 1549 Tue 7 Dec

• Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

On this question of snow melt during the milder spell, I would estimate that only places with 10 cms (4 in) or less will see a complete thaw. Areas that have 10-20 cms will retain some snow and areas with 20-30 cms will only see a settling to 10-20 during the spell. Part of the reason for this would be that the snow will tend to anchor cold air at the surface and this will become foggy during the daytimes when surrounding areas warm up to 7 C or thereabouts, holding temperatures down to 3-4 C over the snow.

It should, however, be mild enough to remove a lot of snow from urban areas which can absorb more of the available heat, so the mild spell will probably get rid of a lot of the ice on roads and pavements probably faster than it melts snow in some parts.

Anyway, going back to the radar to see if there's any streamer potential, will update forecast around 1630h.

i must take a few moments with my snow on wednesday evening so. it's going to be emotional:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭rahmalec

Those sea gulls were right. Any snow seems to be fizzling out just before getting to Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Dewpoint at M2 buoy is falling like a stone. This might help snow streamer development off the Irish Sea tonight.

Edit : already seems to be a streamer developing over south Dublin. But with temps at Dublin airport still at 3C I'm guessing its currently rain or sleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Heaviest snow of the cold spell so far being reported in Letterkenny & Ballybofey withing the last hour. All clear here in Donegal Town (:rolleyes:.....so far)

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

can someone help please ? I need to find out what the conditions are like up at Johnie foxes .... important !!!

Thanks guys
    x

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭John mac

naughto wrote: »
    where in mayo john mac iam in castlebar and its sleet/rain more than snow

30 k east of you.

Did you get that shower over you now.. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

lucy2010 wrote: »
    can someone help please ? I need to find out what the conditions are like up at Johnie foxes .... important !!!

Thanks guys
    x

My uncle lives up near ther, was tlking to him yesterday, said it was pretty crazy wit all the snow all day cars goin slow as possible , dunno what its like 2day tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Iancar29 wrote: »
    My uncle lives up near ther, was tlking to him yesterday, said it was pretty crazy wit all the snow all day cars goin slow as possible , dunno what its like 2day tough.

pappa smurf went climbing up there today & hasnt come back .....His phone is off ( I left him a message calling him all the B%$£"$^ unders the sun) so we want to drive up & see can we find him. I know the schoolhad to close early so im afraid things were bad up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

lucy2010 wrote: »
    pappa smurf went climbing up there today & hasnt come back .....His phone is off ( I left him a message calling him all the B%$£"$^ unders the sun) so we want to drive up & see can we find him. I know the schoolhad to close early so im afraid things were bad up there.

Awh i hope its not too bad! , i hope u find him!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement