Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 5 - I'm in!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

like u i handed in my notice today and where i work they have been wanting to let people go so they gave me 5wks pay in lieu and i was able to leave after work today...so desk is cleaned out and farewells said...
    now time to up the training...
    havnt been doin much in a year so needa up it...
    cant wait...the excitement and apprehension is unbearable... got alot of the shopping done...
    thanks to PSNI for the great shopping list..
    c u all soon guys...
    as i asked previously does any1 know what squad colour we will b?

Recruit - no text speak please.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 recruit2010

delancey42 wrote: »
    Recruit - no text speak please.

sorry didnt even realise i had done that....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 SD999

Been lurking here since i got the news that im in on Thursday - merit score 50-70 nonRC - first time applicant. After such a long wait it came as a bit of a shock. Resigned on Friday and now looking forward to this new chapter.

Im excited mixed with some apprehension but looking forward to getting stuck in :D There seems to be loads of good info on here so thanks guys for posting.

All the best for those who are still waiting and I will see the rest of you guys and girls in a few weeks!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 pcplumb

Hi,

Ive been following the forum but have never posted! Got the call last week so starting in December too.
    Really nervous but excited at the same time!

Congratulations to you both and welcome to the forum.
    Feel free to ask anything ( can't guarantee we'll have the answers mind ;) )

• Advertisement

The only thing Im worried about is passing the PCA in week 2, will there be enough time to practice and learn the course etc..? Not panicking about the studying just the physical part! not overweight or anything, just been working in an office for the last three years..might be a bit unfit.. any advice?

We have a few ' Gym Rat's ' ( a term of affection that ) on here who will be able to give you a few tips / advice . You will have full use of the Garnerville Gym so you should be able to correct any deficiencies the PCA uncovers .

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bc84

pcplumb wrote: »
    The only thing Im worried about is passing the PCA in week 2, will there be enough time to practice and learn the course etc..? Not panicking about the studying just the physical part! not overweight or anything, just been working in an office for the last three years..might be a bit unfit.. any advice?

you dont get to practice it, you get a walk through and 5 mins prior to the start of the session to get used to it and try the different obsticles you may be worried about. Dont worry the PTI's will keep you right. I took a wrong turn on mine in week 2 and still made it home with time to spare. you'll get quicker the more you do it as the weeks progress, as you'll know exactly what you're at. i was at the peak of my fitness when i went in, running in excess of 25-30 miles per week, yet the week 2 PCA was my slowest time by far. Think i took nearly 30secs off by the time killer tuesday came round despite having lost a significant amount of fitness by this stage.

In the meantime get out and do some general fitness training, it's never too late, even if you are only 3/4 weeks away from starting. much better to have a bit of a base to build on. All i did prior to starting was loads of road running and it was plenty. others i know did hill sprints etc and it didnt make a blind bit of difference. Pounding the roads is the best way forward in my opinion. :)

Also - for the females generally - if your small and light made up, theres a likelihood you'll struggle with the push/pull test. Dont worry if you fail it at week 2, but do take it as a warning. the PTI's will give you a program, use it. Eat plenty, take high cal protein shakes after your weights sessions and dont be afraid of putting weight on for the purposes of passing as you will get binned come week 18 if you fail your re-sit. Its common for girls who fail in week 2 to not bother worrying about it until about week 15 when its far too late to do anything about it. a girl who was a good friend of mine and ex boardie got binned a week before pass out in my squad for this reason.

this is a repost from a boardie who wasnt able to complete the PCA test...
    this was given via the PTI's...
    this is good base training..do this twice a week and once a week go for a long run...

treadmill at 1.0 incline
    2 mins @ 11kph
    2 mins rest
    2mins @ 12kph
    2mins rest
    1min @ 12, then 1min rest (do this 3 times)
    30 secs @ 13, then 30 secs rest (do this 3 times)
    then warm down and stretch holding stretches for 30 secs or so.

if you cant do the times set out dont panic just take note of the times you did and aim to beat them each time...
    you have a month and at the end of the day the PTI's wont expect us to be athletes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 neewbie

I am also in, sooo nervous but excited at the same time. :D

Been talking to a few people who have been through the process and it's gonna be hard work but I just hope we all get through it

Looking forward to seeing you all :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Cashflow

this is a repost from a boardie who wasnt able to complete the PCA test...
    this was given via the PTI's...
    this is good base training..do this twice a week and once a week go for a long run...

treadmill at 1.0 incline
    2 mins @ 11kph
    2 mins rest
    2mins @ 12kph
    2mins rest
    1min @ 12, then 1min rest (do this 3 times)
    30 secs @ 13, then 30 secs rest (do this 3 times)
    then warm down and stretch holding stretches for 30 secs or so.

if you cant do the times set out dont panic just take note of the times you did and aim to beat them each time...
    you have a month and at the end of the day the PTI's wont expect us to be athletes

Unless you're a total mess, you won't struggle with the PCA. The only problem is posed to more petite or frail folk who may struggle with the push/pull. If you ARE struggling might I suggest that you ignore the training programme the P.E staff give you and either find someone in your squad who knows their stuff, or take some training sessions with a P.T. Trust me, its far better than the generic programme they give you.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dietcoke1

Cashflow wrote: »
    Unless you're a total mess, you won't struggle with the PCA. The only problem is posed to more petite or frail folk who may struggle with the push/pull. If you ARE struggling might I suggest that you ignore the training programme the P.E staff give you and either find someone in your squad who knows their stuff, or take some training sessions with a P.T. Trust me, its far better than the generic programme they give you.

100% right. I have seen 20+ stone men go around at a snails pace and still pass.

In my opinion the fitness requirements are a joke, But if you are struggling ignore the P.E staff and just hit the trim trail for a couple of laps every evening. If you keep this up for the six months you will fly it.

Thanks for all the advice guys! Been hitting the gym every night this week and I feel better already! 2 weeks left in my current job, the feeling of nerves has gone...just excited now, cant wait to get stuck in. I watched Full Metal Jacket last night and just laughed.....hope its not as bad as that!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dan117

hey there everyone. I'm also in for THE DATE to start. Extremely nervous and feeling very unprepared for what's to come but excited for the start of hopefully a long and successful career!

dan117 wrote: »
    hey there everyone. I'm also in for THE DATE to start. Extremely nervous and feeling very unprepared for what's to come but excited for the start of hopefully a long and successful career!

well done dan and we'll be seeing you there... any preservations this is the place to air them...
    you'll find alot of your answers here...
    good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Sri19

So folks...with high hopes for a jan intake should we be expecting calls next week? I hope so!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fefe5

Sri19 wrote: »
    So folks...with high hopes for a jan intake should we be expecting calls next week? I hope so!

I have been trying to work this out too. Based on when the last calls went out, if the 5week cycle continues then calls should be going out in the middle or towards the end of next week. Like anything in this process though, you just never know, but we can hope!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Sir Harry

Do you think the phone calls will start again tomorrow? Wont apply to me as I'm way, way down merit list but I'd like to see the ball rolling again.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

Lets hope so :D By the way your merit number is not as important as your vetting clearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Sir Harry

Vetting cleared, medical passed and RC but really at bottom of pile as far as merit concerned. Still if 50/50 continues after March I think it might happen for me. Hopefully though we'll see a few boardies get through next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

Sir Harry wrote: »
    Vetting cleared, medical passed and RC but really at bottom of pile as far as merit concerned. Still if 50/50 continues after March I think it might happen for me. Hopefully though we'll see a few boardies get through next week.

Going by this I reckon you would have a good chance of getting a call. Out of interest, when the letters were sent out there awhile back, which one did you get? The one saying we don't know whats happening or we will know more by March?

While I would not nescessarily go so far as to say Merit score is unimportant at this time I would say that having passed Vetting and Medical is way more important .
    Anyone with Vetting and Medical done is in a good position right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ant08

hi all

I am the same is there a number to call for vetting rather than sending an e-mail?? and also if my home telephone number has changed who would i notify about that? deolitte??

ant08 wrote: »
    hi all

I am the same is there a number to call for vetting rather than sending an e-mail?? and also if my home telephone number has changed who would i notify about that? deolitte??

No vetting phone number that I'm aware of alas, external appointments I guess would be the people to notify a phone number to.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Kizwiz

hi, does anyone know if beards are allowed in G'ville? I have a short but neat beard. Should it stay or should it go? (yes im sure you are suprised im a guy! Kizwiz is a girly name but my wife gave it to me when she logged me in for the first time without even consulting me:()

To my knowledge the rule says that '' all men to be clean shaven '' - perhaps a recent graduate could confirm ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 twilightbella

It does have to be everyday and you will be checked every day

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bc84

I'd Say check it out first. I've personally never seen anyone having a beard in gv but if you've got one going in and it's kept well trimmed and maintained then surely they can't force you to remove it?
    Though for lack of hassle I removed mine to keep ds off my back. Then grew it back when I'd enough experience to stand up for myself in the real world lol

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭1986j

In the 1980's every single policeman had a moustache lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 wonderboy86

pack received today...GV here is come!!! anyone else gettn calls or packs out?? :D:D:D

Advertisement