Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 5 - I'm in!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭TangoVictor

thanks Stillhopefull!
    It has been a long ol' haul. But its all beginning now. I will look forward to seeing you on THE DATE as well. I'll be the guy with the wide eyed funny look on his face. :) Got my pack yesterday!
    4 years!!!!!! And its finally over!!

Christ!! I thought I was being tortured with nearly 3!! Well deserved, congrats!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭pathway

I'm in. December start date. Got letter Thurs am, hardly slept a wink.. As they say be careful what you wish for... you just might get it! Good luck to everyone still waiting and well done to all my squad mates. Will be seeing you before too long..

Glad that the green tunics got me before the men in the 'white coats'..:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭pathway

For info :My status= RC 130-150 merit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Congratulations pathway , hey - you've known since Thursday morning and we're only finding out now !!?? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 NornIre

Been lurking on here for a while now, Got my phone call yesterday, With held number almost didnt answer very glad i did :D

I havnt handed in my notice yet i am bricking it i dont think it has all sunk in yet. See you all at the induction day and then for the 4 week stay. :eek:

One thing though it says in the pack about wearing a suit or white shirt, Sadly and this is sad i know i dont have a suit would i need to invest in one or would a shirt tie and black trouser combo be ok for the day.

Just one other thing how big is an intake i remember reading about 60 but i while ago i heard with the cut backs this was down to 20ish can anyone confirm this.

Sorry for all the questions bit of a shock to the system

All the advice given out by others who have gone through Garnerville NornIre is that men should make the effort and invest in a suit.
    I have heard stories of people being pretty badly embarassed on their first day in Garnerville thanks to not making that extra effort , unless someone here who has been there flatly contradicts me then I reckon spend the few quid on a suit ;)

Intake size ? Well there's been no word here to suggest that intake size is much below the usual 50 - 60.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 NornIre

Thanks delancey42,

I thought it would be best but i just wanted to check, i will go and get one sorted :) thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 31 recruit2010

hey guys was being a bit pedantic there and decided to trawl through recents posts...
    seems like there is 11/12 boardies goin into this intake.. thats a bout a fifth of the intake ...
    have to organise some covert password so we can recognise each other...lol...
    i have been so excited over the past few days it strange not being able to tell any1 why ur in such a good mood.
    started my shopping list only a few things left to do... even went as far as to watch how to "bull" your boots on youtube.... how sad i know...
    though what does comfort me is the fact i know some of you boardies have done the same and havnt said so yet lol....
    cant wait guys....
    c u in a few wks for SID...:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭notbrazil

NornIre wrote: »
    One thing though it says in the pack about wearing a suit or white shirt, Sadly and this is sad i know i dont have a suit would i need to invest in one or would a shirt tie and black trouser combo be ok for the day.

If you already have the black trousers and shirt, head to ASDA as they sell very cheap suit jackets. You'll be in your tunic next time you have to dress up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭jclegs

Definitely get a suit for going, you will be needing one for the first few days of your course and then for a few days here and there throughout your training.

For boot bulling, you will be shown how to do this when you start, just make sure you buy kiwi shoe polish, good quality dusters and a selvyt cloth.

Don't be afraid to ask any questions you have on induction day, we'll be hanging about all day and we don't bite :)

• Advertisement

seems like there is 11/12 boardies goin into this intake.. thats a bout a fifth of the intake ...

20%!! All's fair in love and war.

I know PSNI and the other Mods go through alot of trouble and effort to make sure everything is above 'board' so to speak on the forums here. Historically however members of the forum have always had a high success rate.

I believe there is no unfair advantage against other candidates who apply if they also do their homework and research, but I wonder how much of an advantage is there by gaining an insight into the format of the IST, AC etc before hand. Vetting & Medical cannot be prepared for so the other two form the basis of your Merit and ultimately one's placement in the dreaded pool of police. Is being a part of these forums an advantage?

Or it could be argued that those who go through the trouble of taking up an active role and engaging with other candidates here are demonstrating the traits required at the AC (Communication, Respect for diversity, Problem solving, customer focus et al) and therefore are likely to succeed anyway? Are the members of the forum perhaps the most dedicated of the bunch?

Or is it all just a big coincidence?

Sorry for the rambling, I guess I'm the type of person who empties his brains onto a virtual piece of paper!! :D

Any thoughts??

- tv

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭notbrazil

I took a few classes prior to the AC - they were pricey but I'm through to G'Ville on my first ever attempt. I'll be one of the youngsters in the group! The classes do give an advantage in the AC, but they're careful to not to divulge any of the actual scenarios and give very general customer service training. And I can't send anyone details of the training classes before anyone PMs me, sorry!

Just to add, as my first post probably doesn't sound like it but I in no way am trying to take anything away to guys and gals on here who have made it through both now and in the past. You have all done exceedingly well and made it to one of the hardest police forces in the world in terms of getting offered a place. Of all applications received (I think circa 8000 p.a.) you have all made it into the top 2% so bloody well done!!!
    And I can't send anyone details of the training classes before anyone PMs me, sorry!
    - AH, BOL**X!! :p

- tv

• Registered Users Posts: 41 kc29

Congratulations to all who got in.
    Failed at the last bit myself. Medical said I need to be off medication for 12 months. A;ready off it 4.
    Still waiting on a dear john get the hell out of here! lol.
    But anyway like i said fair play to everyone who got the call. WELL DONE!

- tv

well 'TV' is it not like most jobs as in those who put the most work in ... ie: beforehand in preparation will almost undoublty do better than those who dont except of course for the lucky few...

it is a job though that you have to want to do especially with current circumstances.

though i know this month is gonna drag in!!... roll on dec.... never usually like christmas (bahumbug)... but i think this year ill make an exception...

hope the rest of you guys get in...

we all know what it means to get that call and be waiting on it!!

does anyone know what squad colour we will be?

I know PSNI and the other Mods go through alot of trouble and effort to make sure everything is above 'board' so to speak on the forums here. Historically however members of the forum have always had a high success rate.

I believe there is no unfair advantage against other candidates who apply if they also do their homework and research, but I wonder how much of an advantage is there by gaining an insight into the format of the IST, AC etc before hand. Vetting & Medical cannot be prepared for so the other two form the basis of your Merit and ultimately one's placement in the dreaded pool of police. Is being a part of these forums an advantage?

Or it could be argued that those who go through the trouble of taking up an active role and engaging with other candidates here are demonstrating the traits required at the AC (Communication, Respect for diversity, Problem solving, customer focus et al) and therefore are likely to succeed anyway? Are the members of the forum perhaps the most dedicated of the bunch?

Or is it all just a big coincidence?

Sorry for the rambling, I guess I'm the type of person who empties his brains onto a virtual piece of paper!! :D

Any thoughts??

- tv

You pose an interesting and stimulating question tv.

I think this forum can only help people in getting in , yes we mods are very careful to prevent anything that could unfairly advantage one person over another but preparation is so important.
    When I did my AC it became apparent that 1 or 2 other candidates were so poorly prepared they actually thought the AC was a series of interviews as opposed to role plays - imagine their performance walking into the room ! Similarly , knowing the importance of bringing a stopwatch or the like to the IST is so vital - time management is half the battle there.

However, you make the point also that being here on this forum is , I think , a measure of one's commitment and that perhaps is reflected in the high success rates here - I include the ' lurkers ' in that ( for those of you don't know these are the people who never post but appear as ' guests ' , many's the time I have seen 5 members online and 15 or more guests :rolleyes: ).

One thing I will say with confidence is that nobody from this forum will quit after day 1 in Garnerville because they didn't realise it involved shift work or carrying a gun or that there were exams to pass !!

Again - congratulations to all who made it and good luck !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Stoic_Copper

Not long now everyone! This is a big month of change for all those on their way to training. Notices to hand in (with tight smiles on faces I imagine), things to buy and lots ot read. This is a good time to take a few moments and take stock. Relax a bit. Try not to go stir crazy. There is 6 months of training ahead. Get some sleep, recharge the batteries and get all your ducks in a line. We will to together soon. I think its going to be a blast, lots of work, but a blast none the less. I can't wait. There are so many loose ends to tie up here before I can go off and put my best foot forward, maybe you guys are feeling the same way? But I think I need this time to take it all in, figure out what to do with it, and get all packed up! Where did I put my whoolies again? Cheers. Hope to hear back from you all soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭stillhopful

Totally agree

Excitement mixed with apprehension is a strange sensation.

I've handed my notice in and all, to say they were shocked would be a major understatement!

Like yourself Stoic I've got a pile of loose ends to tidy up, and the shopping lists just gets longer and longer everytime I think of something else that I am going to need to get!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

Congrats to everyone who got the call, i'm sure your all dying with excitement. You guy's are surely going to have a blast. No calls for me yet, as the last time I checked vetting was still ongoing that was during the middle of last month.
    Ah well....FML.COM

• Advertisement

Totally agree

Excitement mixed with apprehension is a strange sensation.

I've handed my notice in and all, to say they were shocked would be a major understatement!

Like yourself Stoic I've got a pile of loose ends to tidy up, and the shopping lists just gets longer and longer everytime I think of something else that I am going to need to get!

like u i handed in my notice today and where i work they have been wanting to let people go so they gave me 5wks pay in lieu and i was able to leave after work today...so desk is cleaned out and farewells said...
    now time to up the training...
    havnt been doin much in a year so needa up it...
    cant wait...the excitement and apprehension is unbearable... got alot of the shopping done...
    thanks to PSNI for the great shopping list..
    c u all soon guys...
    as i asked previously does any1 know what squad colour we will b?

like u i handed in my notice today and where i work they have been wanting to let people go so they gave me 5wks pay in lieu and i was able to leave after work today...so desk is cleaned out and farewells said...
    now time to up the training...
    havnt been doin much in a year so needa up it...
    cant wait...the excitement and apprehension is unbearable... got alot of the shopping done...
    thanks to PSNI for the great shopping list..
    c u all soon guys...
    as i asked previously does any1 know what squad colour we will b?

Recruit - no text speak please.

delancey42 wrote: »
    Recruit - no text speak please.

sorry didnt even realise i had done that....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 SD999

Been lurking here since i got the news that im in on Thursday - merit score 50-70 nonRC - first time applicant. After such a long wait it came as a bit of a shock. Resigned on Friday and now looking forward to this new chapter.

Im excited mixed with some apprehension but looking forward to getting stuck in :D There seems to be loads of good info on here so thanks guys for posting.

All the best for those who are still waiting and I will see the rest of you guys and girls in a few weeks!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 pcplumb

Hi,

Ive been following the forum but have never posted! Got the call last week so starting in December too.
    Really nervous but excited at the same time!

Congratulations to you both and welcome to the forum.
    Feel free to ask anything ( can't guarantee we'll have the answers mind ;) )

• Advertisement

The only thing Im worried about is passing the PCA in week 2, will there be enough time to practice and learn the course etc..? Not panicking about the studying just the physical part! not overweight or anything, just been working in an office for the last three years..might be a bit unfit.. any advice?

We have a few ' Gym Rat's ' ( a term of affection that ) on here who will be able to give you a few tips / advice . You will have full use of the Garnerville Gym so you should be able to correct any deficiencies the PCA uncovers .

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bc84

pcplumb wrote: »
    The only thing Im worried about is passing the PCA in week 2, will there be enough time to practice and learn the course etc..? Not panicking about the studying just the physical part! not overweight or anything, just been working in an office for the last three years..might be a bit unfit.. any advice?

you dont get to practice it, you get a walk through and 5 mins prior to the start of the session to get used to it and try the different obsticles you may be worried about. Dont worry the PTI's will keep you right. I took a wrong turn on mine in week 2 and still made it home with time to spare. you'll get quicker the more you do it as the weeks progress, as you'll know exactly what you're at. i was at the peak of my fitness when i went in, running in excess of 25-30 miles per week, yet the week 2 PCA was my slowest time by far. Think i took nearly 30secs off by the time killer tuesday came round despite having lost a significant amount of fitness by this stage.

In the meantime get out and do some general fitness training, it's never too late, even if you are only 3/4 weeks away from starting. much better to have a bit of a base to build on. All i did prior to starting was loads of road running and it was plenty. others i know did hill sprints etc and it didnt make a blind bit of difference. Pounding the roads is the best way forward in my opinion. :)

Also - for the females generally - if your small and light made up, theres a likelihood you'll struggle with the push/pull test. Dont worry if you fail it at week 2, but do take it as a warning. the PTI's will give you a program, use it. Eat plenty, take high cal protein shakes after your weights sessions and dont be afraid of putting weight on for the purposes of passing as you will get binned come week 18 if you fail your re-sit. Its common for girls who fail in week 2 to not bother worrying about it until about week 15 when its far too late to do anything about it. a girl who was a good friend of mine and ex boardie got binned a week before pass out in my squad for this reason.

this is a repost from a boardie who wasnt able to complete the PCA test...
    this was given via the PTI's...
    this is good base training..do this twice a week and once a week go for a long run...

treadmill at 1.0 incline
    2 mins @ 11kph
    2 mins rest
    2mins @ 12kph
    2mins rest
    1min @ 12, then 1min rest (do this 3 times)
    30 secs @ 13, then 30 secs rest (do this 3 times)
    then warm down and stretch holding stretches for 30 secs or so.

if you cant do the times set out dont panic just take note of the times you did and aim to beat them each time...
    you have a month and at the end of the day the PTI's wont expect us to be athletes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 neewbie

I am also in, sooo nervous but excited at the same time. :D

Been talking to a few people who have been through the process and it's gonna be hard work but I just hope we all get through it

Looking forward to seeing you all :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭Cashflow

this is a repost from a boardie who wasnt able to complete the PCA test...
    this was given via the PTI's...
    this is good base training..do this twice a week and once a week go for a long run...

treadmill at 1.0 incline
    2 mins @ 11kph
    2 mins rest
    2mins @ 12kph
    2mins rest
    1min @ 12, then 1min rest (do this 3 times)
    30 secs @ 13, then 30 secs rest (do this 3 times)
    then warm down and stretch holding stretches for 30 secs or so.

if you cant do the times set out dont panic just take note of the times you did and aim to beat them each time...
    you have a month and at the end of the day the PTI's wont expect us to be athletes

Unless you're a total mess, you won't struggle with the PCA. The only problem is posed to more petite or frail folk who may struggle with the push/pull. If you ARE struggling might I suggest that you ignore the training programme the P.E staff give you and either find someone in your squad who knows their stuff, or take some training sessions with a P.T. Trust me, its far better than the generic programme they give you.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dietcoke1

Cashflow wrote: »
    Unless you're a total mess, you won't struggle with the PCA. The only problem is posed to more petite or frail folk who may struggle with the push/pull. If you ARE struggling might I suggest that you ignore the training programme the P.E staff give you and either find someone in your squad who knows their stuff, or take some training sessions with a P.T. Trust me, its far better than the generic programme they give you.

100% right. I have seen 20+ stone men go around at a snails pace and still pass.

In my opinion the fitness requirements are a joke, But if you are struggling ignore the P.E staff and just hit the trim trail for a couple of laps every evening. If you keep this up for the six months you will fly it.

Thanks for all the advice guys! Been hitting the gym every night this week and I feel better already! 2 weeks left in my current job, the feeling of nerves has gone...just excited now, cant wait to get stuck in. I watched Full Metal Jacket last night and just laughed.....hope its not as bad as that!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dan117

hey there everyone. I'm also in for THE DATE to start. Extremely nervous and feeling very unprepared for what's to come but excited for the start of hopefully a long and successful career!

dan117 wrote: »
    hey there everyone. I'm also in for THE DATE to start. Extremely nervous and feeling very unprepared for what's to come but excited for the start of hopefully a long and successful career!

well done dan and we'll be seeing you there... any preservations this is the place to air them...
    you'll find alot of your answers here...
    good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Sri19

So folks...with high hopes for a jan intake should we be expecting calls next week? I hope so!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fefe5

Sri19 wrote: »
    So folks...with high hopes for a jan intake should we be expecting calls next week? I hope so!

I have been trying to work this out too. Based on when the last calls went out, if the 5week cycle continues then calls should be going out in the middle or towards the end of next week. Like anything in this process though, you just never know, but we can hope!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Sir Harry

Do you think the phone calls will start again tomorrow? Wont apply to me as I'm way, way down merit list but I'd like to see the ball rolling again.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

Lets hope so :D By the way your merit number is not as important as your vetting clearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Sir Harry

Vetting cleared, medical passed and RC but really at bottom of pile as far as merit concerned. Still if 50/50 continues after March I think it might happen for me. Hopefully though we'll see a few boardies get through next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

Sir Harry wrote: »
    Vetting cleared, medical passed and RC but really at bottom of pile as far as merit concerned. Still if 50/50 continues after March I think it might happen for me. Hopefully though we'll see a few boardies get through next week.

Going by this I reckon you would have a good chance of getting a call. Out of interest, when the letters were sent out there awhile back, which one did you get? The one saying we don't know whats happening or we will know more by March?

While I would not nescessarily go so far as to say Merit score is unimportant at this time I would say that having passed Vetting and Medical is way more important .
    Anyone with Vetting and Medical done is in a good position right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ant08

hi all

I am the same is there a number to call for vetting rather than sending an e-mail?? and also if my home telephone number has changed who would i notify about that? deolitte??

ant08 wrote: »
    hi all

I am the same is there a number to call for vetting rather than sending an e-mail?? and also if my home telephone number has changed who would i notify about that? deolitte??

No vetting phone number that I'm aware of alas, external appointments I guess would be the people to notify a phone number to.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Kizwiz

hi, does anyone know if beards are allowed in G'ville? I have a short but neat beard. Should it stay or should it go? (yes im sure you are suprised im a guy! Kizwiz is a girly name but my wife gave it to me when she logged me in for the first time without even consulting me:()

To my knowledge the rule says that '' all men to be clean shaven '' - perhaps a recent graduate could confirm ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 twilightbella

It does have to be everyday and you will be checked every day

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bc84

I'd Say check it out first. I've personally never seen anyone having a beard in gv but if you've got one going in and it's kept well trimmed and maintained then surely they can't force you to remove it?
    Though for lack of hassle I removed mine to keep ds off my back. Then grew it back when I'd enough experience to stand up for myself in the real world lol

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭1986j

In the 1980's every single policeman had a moustache lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 wonderboy86

pack received today...GV here is come!!! anyone else gettn calls or packs out?? :D:D:D

Advertisement